Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
little tips for glass care for vaporists but put a piece of fresh ginger into your glass, it can sit there for up two weeks before it soft and it will make the water slightly acid and help keep the glass walls clean

can do the same with some drops of citrus or a slice but I like the ginger way because then I can just empty out the water every night but the ginger gets reused over and over ;)

and yes grasshopper blablabl grasshopper blabla (dont move my post please)

studmuffin

Hi Hjalmark,
I have a really nice water piece from TAG. I keep it sparkling clean. When I put water into it for a session, I add six drops of Mile High Cleaner, which combines with the water to form a microscopic film between the water and the glass. MHC is totally " human safe". To clean it, I simply add three drops of dish detergent and pretty darn hot water, shake it and brush it out. SNAP. My bong sparkles again !
Hopefully, I have not transgressed on the rules here, as this may be: 1) off-topic, and 2) a product endorsement.

:myday:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Note: Tetrahydracannabinol is lipofilic. Meaning, extremely little THC is "dissolved" in the water in a bubbler/waterpipe. So concludes today's chemistry lesson.

Thanks for the chemistry knowledge! I think it has more to do with the chemical being trapped by the friction of the water, like the particulates we are filtering out, than dissolving.

TokesandJokes

Still loving this thing.
2z4d09i.jpg

I have got bubbler hits figured out now, it seems anything above 4 will produce the goods. The more material you put in (to a point), the more clouds you get - as with any vape.
I have found that if you rip too fast, you don't get as good a result as with a steady slower drag. I guess, when connected to a bubbler, the dynamics change a bit, and you can drag faster than the hoppers heater can deal with. It can still handle a pretty solid rip though, probably a harder hit than my EQ, but if you want white walls, you do have to work for them a little. There's not much of a learning curve though, basically none if you've used other vapes through water - you just need to find the sweet spot (which will vary a bit depending on grind/strain).

I used it to wake and vape this morning, and it worked awesomely. One hit has seen me through the last 5 hours and I have still managed to get things done, though not much was done for a couple hours directly after :lol: (@slcbdco 's GIM is a real phenomena, absolutely)

Interestingly, I am convinced it is more efficient than my EQ, it just doesn't hit the super-high temps or have room for as much material meaning less dense/less smoky clouds.
Judging from AVB, it is more efficient at extraction, but it won't produce as much visible cloud (pre or post glass).

Check it out:
This is a temp 5 hit in normal light (night time, in the kitchen with only ceiling lights [note that the shadows are darker in the second, only because I am sitting in front of the piece blocking light from behind me])
11gq610.jpg

It reaches this cloud density after about 8-10 seconds and holds it solidly for another 10 seconds when it then tapers off.

A guaranteed good time.

That doesn't seem normal, as mine and others have milked it up really well. Have you tried different strains and grind variations? I notice you mentioned the heater seemed like it was struggling to keep up. I have not heard that a lot so thats a concern. I wanted to share a pic of my bubbler at about 4.2 half full, light grind. I wasn't aiming to completely white wall it, but it did really well holding the vapor in there as its a small bubbler.

I also want to re-share a few mods from earlier post in this forum to help all the newer users see the great ways to customize this device! I enjoy using my Mighty cooling unit and Da Buddha extras to make you less likely to cough on higher temps.

9sNDR2K.png

HOmGfDM.png

ciaXmUS.jpg

93OT5Y9.jpg

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
-This is really an amazing product and the one place I can't wait to use it is at the sports venues as it seems perfect tailgating and in stadium. 7th inning stretch is going to be taken to a whole other level.
I will post more observations as I go on.

It's great at a game, It will set of the metal detector so take it out of your pocket and put it in the tray with your keys etc.

I used it to wake and vape this morning, and it worked awesomely. One hit has seen me through the last 5 hours and I have still managed to get things done, though not much was done for a couple hours directly after :lol: (@slcbdco 's GIM is a real phenomena, absolutely)

I Fucking Iatoadaso Julian ...

Off to the GIM!

MoltenTiger

In regard to cloud density. It possibly is due to the bud I have, though I've tried different strains, but I think also the lighting.
I just tried to represent what I was seeing in the lighting conditions I found myself using it.

It could also be that my GH is flawed in someway. It does get very hot after some use (front and back end) but it also seems to be working consistently.

I have a few hoppers on order so I'll get a better idea at some point of the performance to accept.

But at this point even though I am sure I will need to warranty it at some point in its life, and even though I paid a 60% premium on the ticket, it is close enough to my ideal dry herb vaporiser, so I'm more than okay with it.

Having it these last few days has definitely skyrocketed my tolerance
:rip:

Vaperist

i wonder. what is suggested USB input power for Hopper's charger? 1A or 2A? just found out that it is very important to know where to stick in that wire.didn't knew that there are different USB outputs. he talks about it @ 1:03.00. and, is it possible to damage something if using 2A instead of suggested 1A?

Last edited:
Vaperist,
Reactions: grokit

TokesandJokes

Nice post, Tokes!
So with all the info about "extra batteries", I'm curious as to how long a single charge lasts. Now that there are more hoppers out there in use, what is the consensus on how many sessions at what particular temps are to be expected before needing to charge/replace battery?

Also, is this battery Lithium? Does it need to be conditioned? Has anyone seen their batteries lose efficiency over multiple charges? What I mean by that last question, is that (for example), Pax says they use "smart charge" technology, recommending that you can leave the Pax in the charger without fear of degrading battery performance..... is this true for the GH battery?

Sure, sure, lots of questions, but it's really one question combined: Has the energy source design for this device been satisfactory over the long term?

I wouldn't look at extra batteries as a con, but a pro. Sure it would have been nice to get more than 3-4 bowls (might be less after battery dissipation over time) but I think its great to have removable/replaceable batteries instead of imbedded. These batteries could have been bigger, but then so would the device so I think its a trade off and the fact the HL is selling these batteries cheaply I didn't mind picking a few extras up.

The actual battery life will be different for every person. The length of the draw and the temperature can have an ambiguous impact on the battery as its difficult to test without hard numbers from other users or HL directly. I'm not sure on the makeup of the battery itself, but it has been discussed in detail earlier in this thread, but I have forgotten exactly where.

HL recommends not overcharging and says its best to be stored between 25-80%

Consider these great options from a fellow FC user @Ratchett to transport the batteries easier

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-sleeve-2x2/

http://delta3dstudios.com/leather-grasshopper-case-small/

studmuffin

Howdy,
Here is a technique that I use. You may find it helpful. The moisture content of the material is just as important, if not more so, than grind consistency. The moisture content of the material should be quite low, otherwise the energy from the battery/device is being wasted in order to dry the material before it can be vaporized. Water vapor is not the kind of cloud I am trying to achieve.
If my bud is too moist, not only is it inefficient to vaporize, but it also does not grind very well. So, I get one of the little pillow-shaped desiccant packets from vitamins bottles, etcetera, put there to minimize product-spoiling moisture. I stick one of these in the nug jar, and a day or two later I have bud which grinds efficiently, and, the efficiency of the vapor extraction is enhanced.

JoeMama

I wouldn't look at extra batteries as a con, but a pro. Sure it would have been nice to get more than 3-4 bowls (might be less after battery dissipation over time) but I think its great to have removable/replaceable batteries instead of imbedded. These batteries could have been bigger, but then so would the device so I think its a trade off and the fact the HL is selling these batteries cheaply I didn't mind picking a few extras up.

The actual battery life will be different for every person. The length of the draw and the temperature can have an ambiguous impact on the battery as its difficult to test without hard numbers from other users or HL directly. I'm not sure on the makeup of the battery itself, but it has been discussed in detail earlier in this thread, but I have forgotten exactly where.

HL recommends not overcharging and says its best to be stored between 25-80%

Consider these great options from a fellow FC user @Ratchett to transport the batteries easier

http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-sleeve-2x2/

http://delta3dstudios.com/leather-grasshopper-case-small/
Thanks again, Tokes... :tup:

Last question: what is the charge time for a fully depleted battery?

That Delta battery case is nice. I've bought Pax accessories from them, by the way.

So the GH needs the extra batteries if you plan on sharing with more than one or two people.... in that case, Pax will normally be my "group vape", and I'll keep the GH for mostly solo use.

FizzNuggets

@JoeMama , my nitecore fully charges right around an hour from empty. The hopper charger depends where you plug it. I am with the external charging crowd.

FizzNuggets,

studmuffin

Howdy HopperHeads and wannabees,

Once GHL achieves a reasonable real-world business model consistency, it would be great if they addressed the battery charging concerns with a GHL external charger and a car adapter charger. I would feel much more comfortable with a sanctioned charger designed and built by engineers who have already forgotten more than I will ever know about batteries.

grokit

well-worn member
i wonder. what is suggested USB input power for Hopper's charger? 1A or 2A? just found out that it is very important to know where to stick in that wire.didn't knew that there are different USB outputs. he talks about it @ 1:03.00. and, is it possible to damage something if using 2A instead of suggested 1A?
I'm pretty sure the stock charger is ~2A but the crafty will charge/adapt to less, it just charges more slowly.

grokit,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Made another short clip of my Grasshopper milking up one of my bigger pieces. This little device still impresses me everyday.

https://vid.me/XMlz

Session was on temp 4.5 and the chamber had a load of 0.07g's worth of material.

Edit: Just saw your post @FizzNuggets, hope you get a replacement unit soon .
How much are they?
$500?

Does it work better than a SOLO?
My SOLO let's me read fast!

Will the GH do the same?

I only vaporize at home.

Erixk557

The backend on my blue ti of about 6 months has started to fall apart, thankfully I have a ss backup until this one gets repaired.

Erixk557,

JoeMama

@JoeMama , my nitecore fully charges right around an hour from empty. The hopper charger depends where you plug it. I am with the external charging crowd.
Thanks, Fizz... As I looked into chargers after reading your answer, now I've got more questions! :doh:

I can't tell by the pictures or info on the GH site, so:
-What is the mag charger powered through? USB? I'm assuming it is.
-What is the ampere rating of the GH battery?

I'm looking at the Nitecore UM2 dual charger ( http://charger.nitecore.com/product/um20 )
This charger gets gets powered through a USB connection, so I found this USB multi-outlet that will deliver a good punch (most others don't split the current evenly).
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKLCB50/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UF68VVAYTLD5 ).

That said, obviously I'm interested in the most efficient charging mechanism!

Input is always appreciated!

Last edited:

KBecks

With the batteries I would not charge more than 1A. In fact it would be best for this battery to charge at .5A since it is under 1000mah. I'll be charging mine on an external charger at .5A.

As far as I've gathered the USB charging chord will not work if plugged in with any charger less than 2A. Not sure on the external charger though.

KBecks,

Vaperist

With the batteries I would not charge more than 1A. In fact it would be best for this battery to charge at .5A since it is under 1000mah. I'll be charging mine on an external charger at .5A.
what would happen if i plug my X-tar charger (which states input: 5V - 1.0A) in 2.0A USB port?

i'm not always charging at home. i know outputs are written to all USB adapters which you plug in rosette. but how i'm supposed to know what kind of USB my friends got in their computers? in fact, how can i know which one i got on my computer?

Vaperist,

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hey guys,
would a crafty CU fit better or be recommended more than a mighty CU? I don't have any but planning to buying one. Also for use with the FW3 and maybe Apollo.
Was wondering if the size of the connector is any different too?
Thanks for your reports.:)

Mr. Me2

Hey guys,
would a crafty CU fit better or be recommended more than a mighty CU? I don't have any but planning to buying one. Also for use with the FW3 and maybe Apollo.
You may want to pm @biohacker for answers to your questions. He's expert on both the Mighty and Crafty.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the cu for both are basically the same; the Mighty just is expanded to accommodate the Mighty footprint. I don't think I've seen the mighty cu used with the gh on this thread...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey guys,
For this purpose they're the same. They can be swapped on Mighty/Crafty also. Mighty c/u may be marginally cooler; Crafty c/u is smaller and a little less $.

TheWhisper

I charge mine at 0.25A with my XTAR VP2.

TheWhisper,

Hawk

As far as I've gathered the USB charging chord will not work if plugged in with any charger less than 2A. Not sure on the external charger though.

It is possible because of the type of charging it does that the chord may need a 2A source but hopefully the circuitry will charge the battery at 1A or less.

But I was specifically talking about external charging. If you have the option charge at .5A, may be slower but your battery will love you for it. 1A may not be ideal but will be fine. I would not go higher than 1A as it will degrade the battery faster.

Hawk,
Top Bottom