Discontinued The Grasshopper

BuzzDanklin

I just rewatched @BuzzDanklin infamous test video of the hopper he made with his friend. From that video the battery life seems pretty good to me. I counted..

4 hits on temp 3
4 hits on temp 4
4 hits on temp 5
2 hits on temp 5 (bubbler)
10 hits on temp 3.5
7 hits on temp 4.5

I feel like this would last me days! Assuming a good battery of course, but they're relatively so cheap if one is bad it won't really matter as long as you have a couple good batteries.

He must have the greatest battery they've ever produced. I don't have the time to go back and watch the whole video right now, but there's simply no way he got 31 hits off of 1 battery.

I have found that when you do back to back bowls it extends the battery a fair amount because you get to keep some of the residual heat for the next rip/bowl. If I were to do this same test, and let the GH fully cool down in between each bowl I think the battery would have died sooner. Also worth noting, I was not planning or expecting on having the battery last the full test, I had extras charged and ready in case they died on me, so I was pleasantly surprised as well. :)

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I have found that when you do back to back bowls it extends the battery a fair amount because you get to keep some of the residual heat for the next rip/bowl. If I were to do this same test, and let the GH fully cool down in between each bowl I think the battery would have died sooner. Also worth noting, I was not planning or expecting on having the battery last the full test, I had extras charged and ready in case they died on me, so I was pleasantly surprised as well. :)
Would you say that GH you reviewed had a better battery life than the others you've received? I'm asking because I think I remember it being. Beta GH not a production one.

Mangos

I'm averaging about 10-12 hits on my GH battery before it starts to flash blue. I take long draws- 2 draws per chamber, with only half of it full. I normally keep the temp on 4 but lately have been just cranking it to 5 and using it on a bubbler.

Sure someone who uses it on a lower temperature and takes shorter hits - might experience better longevity out of their battery life per charge. I am just guessing of course . Really wish the retail version came with a spare battery .

BuzzDanklin

Would you say that GH you reviewed had a better battery life than the others you've received? I'm asking because I think I remember it being. Beta GH not a production one.

I originally had a beta SS and then they sent me a beta Ti, later they swapped my beta units for a full production Blue Ti and SS units (my SS has the latest rear end, my Ti has the older version rear end). I also had a couple different batteries I have used with all of the units. I did not notice any difference in the beta and production units as far as battery life, however I have noticed after about a year of use a couple of my batteries are in a bit worse shape than some of the others. I do not know if they are the ones that took a majorify of the heavy use, or if they just degrade at slightly different rates. I also misplaced an empty battery in a GH box when I moved last summer, and I didn't find it until about a month ago, so it sat completely discharged for over 6 months in a box. When I went to charge the battery it had died completely and won't take a charge even in an external charger. Overall my batteries are in good shape and have handled the heavy use and time pretty well, just don't leave them completely discharged for long periods of time :) It is also worth noting, since I do have multiple batteries, I rarely stress any single battery too terribly hard back to back so that may affect my batterylongevity for the better.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I originally had a beta SS and then they sent me a beta Ti, later they swapped my beta units for a full production Blue Ti and SS units (my SS has the latest rear end, my Ti has the older version rear end). I also had a couple different batteries I have used with all of the units. I did not notice any difference in the beta and production units as far as battery life, however I have noticed after about a year of use a couple of my batteries are in a bit worse shape than some of the others. I do not know if they are the ones that took a majorify of the heavy use, or if they just degrade at slightly different rates. I also misplaced an empty battery in a GH box when I moved last summer, and I didn't find it until about a month ago, so it sat completely discharged for over 6 months in a box. When I went to charge the battery it had died completely and won't take a charge even in an external charger. Overall my batteries are in good shape and have handled the heavy use and time pretty well, just don't leave them completely discharged for long periods of time :) It is also worth noting, since I do have multiple batteries, I rarely stress any single battery too terribly hard back to back so that may affect my batterylongevity for the better.
Thanks for the reply. I also have about four that I rotate and I don't ever really use four chambers on one charge. Sure it's capable of doing so but most of the time I so medicated I just put it to charge.

AgentXero

Is it okay to leave a battery on the hopper charger or external charger after it's fully charged or does that degrade the battery life as well?

BuzzDanklin

Is it okay to leave a battery on the hopper charger or external charger after it's fully charged or does that degrade the battery life as well?

I believe its fine to leave a battery fully charged or fully discharged if its only for a short while, but if you leave or store them for long periods of time that is when you should leave a partial charge, and not have it at 0 or 100% full. This article makes it look like it is hard on the batteries to be fully charged and in elevated temperatures (86F or higher), something that vape batteries in general encounter often.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I wish this was the same for me. How many draws on 4-5 do you think you get? And when does the power seem weaker?

BuzzDanklin

I wish this was the same for me. How many draws on 4-5 do you think you get? And when does the power seem weaker?

Most of my testing lately has been outdoors on the chairlift at the ski hill, but I have been getting about 16-20 draws. I usually get 3-4 bowls per charge, and 4-6 rips per bowl. I do have one battery that only gets me 2 bowls and about 8-12 draws though, so I am annoyed when that one finds its way into the rotation on the slopes. When I am at home hitting the GH, I am usually trying to kill a full bowl in a single 30-45 second rip through the bubbler on temp5. Using this method I will only get 6-10 draws per charge

BuzzDanklin

@BuzzDanklin I have 2 batteries that will give me those good 16-20 and 4 that seem to be about 6-10 hits if I'm lucky. Around the 3rd hit I notice a drop in power, it might be one and half bowls, 2 bowls on the better batteries.
I don't seem to have any point that they drop in power, I just feel like they slowly drop their power output as their charge drops. I do notice this on most of my vapes, when I time pre-heats on a vape at 100% 75% 50% and 25% battery capacity it's different and slower as it drops. But I seem to notice it a bit more on the GH, especially when I am using it outdoors in the very low ambient temps (10-25F) I wonder if the GH seems more noticeable due to the fairly low capacity batteries, combines with a heater that can draw immense power?

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I don't seem to have any point that they drop in power, I just feel like they slowly drop their power output as their charge drops. I do notice this on most of my vapes, when I time pre-heats on a vape at 100% 75% 50% and 25% battery capacity it's different and slower as it drops. But I seem to notice it a bit more on the GH, especially when I am using it outdoors in the very low ambient temps (10-25F) I wonder if the GH seems more noticeable due to the fairly low capacity batteries, combines with a heater that can draw immense power?
You're right, I agree. Its an issue with the other vapes, also more noticeable because of capacity.

osolx26

Just curious, have you experienced any of the reliability issues experienced by a large number of us? Because I have this theory in my head that they're a little bit more careful with the manufacturing of the grasshoppers that go to well known vaporizer reviewers like yourself. I would normally ask, as a follow up, how your customer service experience was if you did experience a reliability issue but something tells me if something did happen to your specific hopper they'd bend over backwards to fix it as soon as possible.

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
I believe its fine to leave a battery fully charged or fully discharged if its only for a short while, but if you leave or store them for long periods of time that is when you should leave a partial charge, and not have it at 0 or 100% full. This article makes it look like it is hard on the batteries to be fully charged and in elevated temperatures (86F or higher), something that vape batteries in general encounter often.
Long term probably best between 40-60% charged from my experience with other devices.

BuzzDanklin

I have not had any hoppers break on me, however when I exchanged my beta units my blue Ti had a problem. The back end popped open within minutes of playing with the temp dial after opening the package, before I even used the unit (this is the old style back end), so it was basically DOA. They sent me a new back end in roughly a week (still the old style back end) and it has been used near daily since. So I have had 4 units total, 2 beta, and 2 production none have broken and they have been in use or had any problems other than the one blue back end showing up dead (assembly error was my assumption)

When my beta units were built, they only had 4 units total, and Matt/Trevor had built the units themselves so I imagine they were perfect. When I had my units switched to production units they had employees and production going on. I could not tell you if my production units had extra attention, but judging by the dead on arrival dial they might not have.

Last edited:

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
I'm a nobody and I've always had shipping in a week or less. I've always been very nice and overly talkative to them as well, though.

I've had 3 warranties in total,

* Grasshopper 1 - backend disassemble - GS000645
* Grasshopper 2 - 1st body malfunction
* Grasshopper 3 - 2nd body malfunction
* Grasshopper 4 - working great with 2nd replaced backend and 3rd replaced body. Backend SS000564

sesh732

Imaginable
@BuzzDanklin I've had success reviving "dead" batteries, both nimh and lithium type, by shorting them in a controlled way. You need an external charger with 2 battery slots, and a fully charged battery with the same voltage as your dead one. First, unplug the charger. Then insert both batteries. Then using a paperclip bent into a horseshoe shape, connect the positive terminals of the batteries together by sandwiching one part of the paper clip between each battery and the metal contact on the charger.

You've connected the batteries through the paper clip, and the full battery will give some voltage to the dead one if it is possible to revive it. In my experience this could be completed in a minute, or it could take 10 or 15 minutes. Note that the charger is not turned on or even plugged in during this time. Last, turn the charger back on After removing the paper clip. If the full battery now registers on the charger, It should hold a charge.

Edit: to stay ever so slightly on topic, I'll mention that my grasshopper isn't here yet. I'm sooooooo ready, with an external charger and maybe too much experience with batteries.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
@BuzzDanklin I've had success reviving "dead" batteries, both nimh and lithium type, by shorting them in a controlled way. You need an external charger with 2 battery slots, and a fully charged battery with the same voltage as your dead one. First, unplug the charger. Then insert both batteries. Then using a paperclip bent into a horseshoe shape, connect the positive terminals of the batteries together by sandwiching one part of the paper clip between each battery and the metal contact on the charger.

You've connected the batteries through the paper clip, and the full battery will give some voltage to the dead one if it is possible to revive it. In my experience this could be completed in a minute, or it could take 10 or 15 minutes. Note that the charger is not turned on or even plugged in during this time. Last, turn the charger back on After removing the paper clip. If the full battery now registers on the charger, It should hold a charge.

Edit: to stay ever so slightly on topic, I'll mention that my grasshopper isn't here yet. I'm sooooooo ready, with an external charger and maybe too much experience with batteries.

For things like this I love this forums, I learn a lot from all of you guys :bowdown:

So far really happy with my Ti GH, but still a lot to learn about it. This thing is so powerful that you can use it almost any way you want, I have been trying diferent temps, drawing speeds, how much weed you use or even with a bubbler wand this vape is ready for anything. I was expecting it to be good, but not so good.

Best invesment I have made since I bought my Vapexhale's and that is saying a lot!

Bass Vaper

@Bass Vaper

Are you an unusually strong person? Just curious man, maybe your grip/fingers push the button, wrench the dial a lot harder than you imagine?

I wish. I'm a little pussy.

I started to question if it was something I was doing, but I'm pretty careful with it. And I try to be careful as shit clicking it due my 6th warranty request.

At this point I feel like they weren't built for such heavy usage.

tr33sPlease

Is there any risk to the good battery when doing this?

Top Bottom