Discontinued The Grasshopper

biohacker

So I received an SS GH yesterday. First impressions are that it's so small and well built. It feels pretty solid and is smaller than what I thought it would be. I used it yesterday with various types of ground herb. I tried medium grind, a chunk off a nug, and fine grind like I would on my Pax2. The Gh itself does get warm in the front and also the back end. I was able to use it in all the temperature levels without a silicone mouthpiece or getting burned. I get nice clouds but not humongous ones on the 4 and 5 dial. Idk how other GH's are leaving the AVB but it takes me about 10 or more pulls to brown the AVB. It's never dark like I see in pictures even on the last setting. Idk if I just need to learn how to pull but there are times where it feels like I don't get a nice big pull. Other times, it does create a large amount of vapor and it makes me cough. Idk what's normal since it's so new to me but I feel like it's taking a while to finish the herb in the bowl. Any one have any suggestions? Thoughts? Questions?

Just popped back to read your impression and it appears to be the same as mine. I know for a fact that my first (broken) GH was able to output more heat (video posted), but I wasn't sure if it was "too much" heat, because the abv was uneven and some areas over darkened. It's possible that your GH is running normally, but with your first impressions, it seems to me that it's slightly underheating. If that's the case, it's disappointing.

I just received a PM from a member that sold two GH's, and has now processed 8 warranty requests total between them!

I can't wait until all the wrinkles are ironed out (won't be for a long while IMHO), because a functional GH is the best ultra stealth portable out there, until it isn't functional.

If I lived in the U.S., I definitely would not mind doing the warranty game since shipping is a fraction of the price.

I've got my eyes on you @Vapetrees ! You're the only reason i'm back in this thread now! lol

InspireAndAdmire

So I received an SS GH yesterday. First impressions are that it's so small and well built. It feels pretty solid and is smaller than what I thought it would be. I used it yesterday with various types of ground herb. I tried medium grind, a chunk off a nug, and fine grind like I would on my Pax2. The Gh itself does get warm in the front and also the back end. I was able to use it in all the temperature levels without a silicone mouthpiece or getting burned. I get nice clouds but not humongous ones on the 4 and 5 dial. Idk how other GH's are leaving the AVB but it takes me about 10 or more pulls to brown the AVB. It's never dark like I see in pictures even on the last setting. Idk if I just need to learn how to pull but there are times where it feels like I don't get a nice big pull. Other times, it does create a large amount of vapor and it makes me cough. Idk what's normal since it's so new to me but I feel like it's taking a while to finish the herb in the bowl. Any one have any suggestions? Thoughts? Questions?
Hows the efficiency compared to your PAX2? Flavor compared to the PAX2? Do a side by side comparison if you can.

InspireAndAdmire,

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@Gandalf That might be the case because I notice last night that I was able to get good draws depending on how I was hitting. I'll give it more time before I can say it's underperforming. A question though, if I pack it 3/4 loose how long would it take to finish the whole bowl, say at tempt 4 or 5?

@biohacker
Yeah it does seem like it's working but again I think I may have to learn how to hit it properly. It definitely got me stoned real quick and the flavor was unbelievable. Seriously it's so good it's hard to describe how good it is. I look forward to being here and hopefully I can master my technique.

@InspireAndAdmire Efficiency Is unbelievable. You could put as little as you want and the flavor is incredible. The Pax2 comes no where near the GH in flavor. I swear even if I start at the highest temperature the flavor is I unbelievable. It's almost like my Solo's first pull on level 3, but throughout the whole session almost. The flavor doesn't get bad until I'm almost done with the chamber. Although, I will say I'm just getting used to it now so as I use it more ill get a better idea of its efficiency. I think I need to learn how to hit it properly to pull big clouds.

Last edited:

biohacker

It has to be underperforming, otherwise your impression/reaction would be more along the lines of....

OMG!!! GAME CHANGER!!! Best portable. EVER. :rofl:

On a more serious note, you're correct the flavour is delicious! However, at 5 the flavour should quickly die off, and dark ABV should be attainable. Keep experimenting with your grind and draw. I know that I really had to put the brakes on my draw speed in order to get thicker hits.

I'm happy that you finally have it in your hands dude!

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
It has to be underperforming, otherwise your impression/reaction would be more along the lines of....

OMG!!! GAME CHANGER!!! Best portable. EVER. :rofl:

On a more serious note, you're correct the flavour is delicious! However, at 5 the flavour should quickly die off, and dark ABV should be attainable. Keep experimenting with your grind and draw. I know that I really had to put the brakes on my draw speed in order to get thicker hits.

I'm happy that you finally have it in your hands dude!
I'm happy too man. I can't say it is until I use it more since when I first got my Mighty I thought it was underwhelming too until I used it more was I able to pull dragon clouds. The GH is super tasty, it's tastier than my freshly cleaned Mighty at 350f. I had to wait until after the weekend and Presidents' Day to get it. Lol. I'll try it out more and will post back. I'm at work right now.

osolx26

How long have most of yall been into vaporizers? Because i know off the top of my head Vapir put the portable classic out in 2000, Also various flame ones been around since the 90's. I would not be one bit shocked if somebody else chimed in and said they knew of flame based portables in the 70's. The guy who made the Eterra even made a portable version first in the 90's. I don't know if you wan't to count charcoal powered as well but those have certainly been around since the 60's or 70's.
I've been into vapes for the last 6 or 7 years now. From what I just looked at, the Vapir Classic is corded, so handheld but not portable. I'm sorry, I should have made it more specific (although I did in my original post a few weeks ago) and said electronic portable vaporizers. Yes, butane and flame powered ones have been around for quite a while now, but electronic portable vapes have only really been a thing for the last 8-9 years. Maybe someone tried to put out an electronic vape before that, but it clearly didn't do very well. My point remains (And you can all hate this as much as you want. I really don't care) the industry is still fairly new and some of your favorite companies had a much worse start than HL because they had products that not only failed all the time but sucked even when they were working (I'm looking at Pax Labs here, with the Ploom Model 1, which was their first vape before the OG pax, a vaporizer so bad you can't even find anything about it on the internet anymore. I only heard about it because one of the founders mentioned how terrible it was in an interview a year or 2 ago. Oh, and lets not forget that disaster with the Ploom Model 2, which came out between the OG Pax and Pax 2.).

To everyone having issues getting clouds: Remember not to pack it very tight The tighter you pack it, the harder it is to get really nice clouds. I had that issue too at first. As soon as I stopped packing down my herb I started getting way better vapor production.

Last edited:

Gandalf

@Gandalf That might be the case because I notice last night that I was able to get good draws depending on how I was hitting. I'll give it more time before I can say it's underperforming. A question though, if I pack it 3/4 loose how long would it take to finish the whole bowl, say at tempt 4 or 5?

I thought mine was underperforming as well until I figured out the best technique for it, and it took me a couple days to do so. My suspicion is that your GH is probably working fine. I usually pack 1/2 a bowl and it takes me about 6-8 draws to kill the bowl entirely and turn the herb very dark brown.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I thought mine was underperforming as well until I figured out the best technique for it, and it took me a couple days to do so. My suspicion is that your GH is probably working fine. I usually pack 1/2 a bowl and it takes me about 6-8 draws to kill the bowl entirely and turn the herb very dark brown.
I'm going to try it as soon as I'm out of work hopefully I can have the same experience. How many bowls out of one battery are you getting? Does yours get warm by the backend too?

Vapetrees,

Vapor Loop

I've been into vapes for the last 6 or 7 years now. From what I just looked at, the Vapir Classic is corded, so handheld but not portable. I'm sorry, I should have made it more specific (although I did in my original post a few weeks ago) and said electronic portable vaporizers. Yes, butane and flame powered ones have been around for quite a while now, but electronic portable vapes have only really been a thing for the last 8-9 years. Maybe someone tried to put out an electronic vape before that, but it clearly didn't do very well. My point remains (And you can all hate this as much as you want. I really don't care) the industry is still fairly new and some of your favorite companies had a much worse start than HL because they had products that not only failed all the time but sucked even when they were working (I'm looking at Pax Labs here, with the Ploom Model 1, which was their first vape before the OG pax, a vaporizer so bad you can't even find anything about it on the internet anymore. I only heard about it because one of the founders mentioned how terrible it was in an interview a year or 2 ago. Oh, and lets not forget that disaster with the Ploom Model 2, which came out between the OG Pax and Pax 2.).

To everyone having issues getting clouds: Remember not to pack it very tight The tighter you pack it, the harder it is to get really nice clouds. I had that issue too at first. As soon as I stopped packing down my herb I started getting way better vapor production.

No hate here just passing vapor knowledge. I have had interest since the 90's myself.
Vapir offered both a corded and battery powered version of the classic. I remember it was on a show in 1999 just before they hit the market, I'm pretty sure they even had one before that you could hook a battery pack as well. The maker of the Eterra first made a log vape that ran off a battery pack for mountain bikers in the 90's as well, That same manufacturer attempted a cig pack sized battery powered unit some years later but had too many problems and only one unit was sold.

Vapor Loop,
Reactions: Mister G

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
No hate here just passing vapor knowledge. I have had interest since the 90's myself.
Vapir offered both a corded and battery powered version of the classic. I remember it was on a show in 1999 just before they hit the market, I'm pretty sure they even had one before that you could hook a battery pack as well. The maker of the Eterra first made a log vape that ran off a battery pack for mountain bikers in the 90's as well, That same manufacturer attempted a cig pack sized battery powered unit some years later but had too many problems and only one unit was sold.

Getting way OT, but the Eterra inventor's previous vape was the "Flash Evaporator", a log-type vape that heated up on a corded base, but was cord-free when you lifted the heater off to insert stem and draw vapor. But since part of it is corded, I'll go with it's not portable. Vaping goes way further back than we can probably guess.

But the GH is the future, or something like it.

InspireAndAdmire

Anyone here care to take a guess on what the long hold up possibly is?
Is it a lack of design or quality control?
How long has it been since they've first released their betas? I'm sure long enough.. I really want this to work out.

InspireAndAdmire,

Vapor Loop

first backer received in june 2015, And i have no clue what's up other than small company with too many orders. I just hope the best for them and the Hopper because this thing seem's like it can be great when working properly.

osolx26

Anyone here care to take a guess on what the long hold up possibly is?
Is it a lack of design or quality control?
How long has it been since they've first released their betas? I'm sure long enough.. I really want this to work out.
My guess is they're waiting for a new shipment of parts. Maybe they only had enough inventory on hand to handle backers, maybe they revised a couple of parts for pre-orders and had to order new ones, or maybe it's a combination of the two. The only people that know work for HL.

First off, sorry mods for the double post. It wouldn't let me insert a 2nd quote for some reason.

2nd, this doesn't really change my point. Portable electronic vaporizers are still a very new technology and, before 4 or 5 years ago there were very few options. The industry is still loaded with issues which can be observed with the firefly, pax 2, crafty, etc. Even now, companies are still having trouble getting true vaporization into a package as small as the Grasshopper. Only a small handful of companies have vapes this small that actually vaporize the herb and not (fuck) combust it. It's to be expected in a new industry that there will be problems at first (especially when there's such a huge boom like there was with vaping) that will eventually be, for the most part, ironed out. Saying that HL is terrible because of their initial issues is just stupid because, as I said before, your favorite vape company probably had a worse start because they probably had a shitty product that also failed all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
@Shrike, didn't you finally receive your gh, how are you liking it?

Hey grokit...

Yeah, I received my Ti model a few days ago. Got a lot of shit going on, so haven't had time for a full review...probably in a few days. A quick update though...

I've probably run about a dozen loads through this now, mainly Twisted Fruit and Black Triangle and I am absolutely loving this thing. Blazingly quick heat up and great taste on 1 or 2. And I've cleaned this thing once so far and it is by far the easiest Vape to clean that I have owned.

Easy as pie to load with one of Ratchett's tools (thanks Ratchet :tup:). Also, absolutely love the leather case for it that I got from Ratchet. Sorry...this is beginning to sound like a Ratchett info commercial...:rofl:

Any way...came to me in perfect shape, showing none of the problems that some early backers have complained about. The back end stays cool throughout sessions and nothing so far is falling apart. :cool:

The mouthpiece does get fairly hot, but not a problem with my short sessions. I've now used it with a Mobius Ion Matrix and a Purr acrylic portable water tool and love it! It's especially nice to use with the Purr for pure laziness. Both pieces easily whitewall on 3 or above. :whoa:

Definitely a new standard for portable convection vapes and not sure how vapes will get much stealthier than this one (for those who still need the stealth).

Worth the wait, but only until the next better vape arrives (Square...maybe?).:nod:

I think this one is a keeper and should always find a place in my quiver...:)

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Hey grokit...

Yeah, I received my Ti model a few days ago. Got a lot of shit going on, so haven't had time for a full review...probably in a few days. A quick update though...

I've probably run about a dozen loads through this now, mainly Twisted Fruit and Black Triangle and I am absolutely loving this thing. Blazingly quick heat up and great taste on 1 or 2. And I've cleaned this thing once so far and it is by far the easiest Vape to clean that I have owned.

Easy as pie to load with one of Ratchett's tools (thanks Ratchet :tup:). Also, absolutely love the leather case for it that I got from Ratchet. Sorry...this is beginning to sound like a Ratchett info commercial...:rofl:

Any way...came to me in perfect shape, showing none of the problems that some early backers have complained about. The back end stays cool throughout sessions and nothing so far is falling apart. :cool:

The mouthpiece does get fairly hot, but not a problem with my short sessions. I've now used it with a Mobius Ion Matrix and a Purr acrylic portable water tool and love it! It's especially nice to use with the Purr for pure laziness. Both pieces easily whitewall on 3 or above. :whoa:

Definitely a new standard for portable convection vapes and not sure how vapes will get much stealthier than this one (for those who still need the stealth).

Worth the wait, but only until the next better vape arrives (Square...maybe?).:nod:

I think this one is a keeper and should always find a place in my quiver...:)
How many bowls do you get per battery?

tr33sPlease

2nd, this doesn't really change my point. Portable electronic vaporizers are still a very new technology and, before 4 or 5 years ago there were very few options. The industry is still loaded with issues which can be observed with the firefly, pax 2, crafty, etc. Even now, companies are still having trouble getting true vaporization into a package as small as the Grasshopper. Only a small handful of companies have vapes this small that actually vaporize the herb and not (fuck) combust it. It's to be expected in a new industry that there will be problems at first (especially when there's such a huge boom like there was with vaping) that will eventually be, for the most part, ironed out. Saying that HL is terrible because of their initial issues is just stupid because, as I said before, your favorite vape company probably had a worse start because they probably had a shitty product that also failed all the time.

I don't know, a lot of people love the mflb (this is a portable electronic vaporizer, right - wouldn't want to miss anything like I did last time, when I missed one word after spending a sleepless night in the hospital, which is something you have brought up twice today) and I haven't heard of many complaints...other than it is too hard to use. Though I hear that from combusters trying to vaporize all the time, no matter the vape. Hopefully HL has solved this problem - though I wouldn't know since I just keep waiting. MFLb is a successful company using the KISS principle - and they have a lifetime warranty.

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
How many bowls do you get per battery?

First...the bowl size. I "fill" the bowl, but unlike packing tight in a conduction vape, I only tap the side of the GH. It's a full bowl, but a very loose fill. :tup:

I'd say with that much in, I get 3 full bowls before the lights start blinking blue.

A quick note for when you start using it with a water piece. The battery will drain quicker. It probably has to do with taking much longer rips and finishing the ABV to a greater extent. I have an extremely sensitive throat and when just using the GH, I have to be careful not to take too long a rip or I will start coughing. With a water tool, I can rip to my hearts content unless using a strain that really expands in the lungs.

I have 4 batteries and feel that should last me close to a week at a time. It works perfect for me, I'm not an all day toker...mainly evenings with the occasional mid-day escape...

Obviously...YMMV...:nod:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
First...the bowl size. I "fill" the bowl, but unlike packing tight in a conduction vape, I only tap the side of the GH. It's a full bowl, but a very loose fill. :tup:

I'd say with that much in, I get 3 full bowls before the lights start blinking blue.

A quick note for when you start using it with a water piece. The battery will drain quicker. It probably has to do with taking much longer rips and finishing the ABV to a greater extent. I have an extremely sensitive throat and when just using the GH, I have to be careful not to take too long a rip or I will start coughing. With a water tool, I can rip to my hearts content unless using a strain that really expands in the lungs.

I have 4 batteries and feel that should last me close to a week at a time. It works perfect for me, I'm not an all day toker...mainly evenings with the occasional mid-day escape...

Obviously...YMMV...:nod:
Sounds good I have to measure how many I get before it dies. This morning it seemed like it didn't last that long but this afternoon after practicing some more I was able to get some nice clouds. I finished a bowl, the same quantity as you mentioned to the top but loose, in about 5 pulls on the 4th setting and one last one at 5. It's amazing how fast it is at vaporizing. I have been able to get better pulls as I can now visibly see bluish clouds. It does feel like the back end gets hot though, if i palm it with my fingers I can feel it getting hotter. It's working really well though I just took a big rip on the third setting, WOW.

Gandalf

I get about 2-3 full bowls per battery taking ~ 8 hits per bowl at 4.5.

To maximize the life of my batteries I've just been rotating them out with each bowl and recharging them right away.

The flavor with the GH is just fantastic. The only vaporizer that is better in my collection is the E-Nano with its all-glass air path, but the GH comes pretty damn close. Definitely the best flavor of any portable I've used so far.

Also, my D020 shipped out today and I'm very excited to try vapor-bonging for the first time ever!

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I get about 2-3 full bowls per battery taking ~ 8 hits per bowl at 4.5.

To maximize the life of my batteries I've just been rotating them out with each bowl and recharging them right away.

The flavor with the GH is just fantastic. The only vaporizer that is better in my collection is the E-Nano with its all-glass air path, but the GH comes pretty damn close. Definitely the best flavor of any portable I've used so far.

Also, my D020 shipped out today and I'm very excited to try vapor-bonging for the first time ever!
Thanks for your advice it seems I have finally got the hang off it. It is out of this world. The taste is fantastic and it's still amazing how fast I can get medicated. Does yours get hot near the backend? Do you leave it on between hits or click it off?

Gandalf

Thanks for your advice it seems I have finally got the hang off it. It is out of this world. The taste is fantastic and it's still amazing how fast I can get medicated. Does yours get hot near the backend? Do you leave it on between hits or click it off?

It gets a little warm near the backend when it's on but always stays considerably cooler than the area near the heating element. I heard reports of scorching hot back ends but I don't believe I have that issue; the backend area never gets even slightly uncomfortable to touch.

By day 3 of Hopper use I had my technique fully dialed in. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it now!

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
It gets a little warm near the backend when it's on but always stays considerably cooler than the area near the heating element. I heard reports of scorching hot back ends but I don't believe I have that issue; the backend area never gets even slightly uncomfortable to touch.

By day 3 of Hopper use I had my technique fully dialed in. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it now!
Okay maybe that's just how it works because it seems to be working well, and you're right it does feel cooler by the heating element. It seems to function just fine I am getting some nice clouds from it now even at low temperatures. Now I just need to measure how many bowls I can get from one charge, I haven't been keeping track.

Vapetrees,
Reactions: biohacker

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer

:nod:

This is what I've found to be the best way to load the Grasshopper.

dhgate? Shipping from China can take a while... A few weeks nonetheless, congrats!

@Vapetrees "I" switch between both. 90% of the time I click it off, my friends don't always. Every time you draw it will reset the 18 second auto shut off.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
This is what I've found to be the best way to load the Grasshopper.

dhgate? Shipping from China can take a while... A few weeks nonetheless, congrats!

@Vapetrees "I" switch between both. 90% of the time I click it off, my friends don't always. Every time you draw it will reset the 18 second auto shut off.
Yeah I've been trying both ways, sometimes I'm not ready for the second pull so I turn it off.:ko:

Top Bottom