1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Brewervapesalot

Brewervapesalot Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my modded units; I think you can adjust the size of holes a bit, just not too much.

I'll try Lozo's screen at some point though just because I have a couple.

The draw resistance of the original was just too much for me. I did a lot of side by side comparisons of my first modded unit and my original unit, and it became clear the original was substantially harder to draw and produced no better clouds or vapor at any setting.

I modded the second unit because I wouldn't use it anymore... Not when the other one didn't require me to suck my brains out or go in a dark room to see what holes were clogged....

All and all, I really like the FF2, but I'd buy a FF3 if it was much easier to draw, it stayed easy to clean, the battery lasted longer, I didn't have to stir, and it held more herb in the bowl.

petey and JCat like this.
  2. Lozo

Lozo Active Member

The disk / screen as far as I know is meant to be flat, is that what you meant @petey ?

JCat likes this.
  3. Torbill

Torbill Active Member

I have had the Mighty for two years, and used it nightly, and now I have had a new Firefly for a few weeks. I prefer the Firefly.

I am a medical user. I use a weed vape at bedtime. I do not need portability. I do not need a session vape. What I want is safety, good vapor and high quality/reliability. I am willing to deal with learning a new technique.

The Mighty is great. It is impervious to variations in how it is loaded, it is perfectly consistent and a no-brainer from a technique standpoint. It is a well-designed device, for sure. I do not like the warm-up time and the way that it wants to cook my weed after I am done with a session.

I had to work on packing technique with the Firefly, having gotten accidental combustion one time, when I overloaded and overpacked. It isn’t as simple as the Mighty in this respect. I do not like the stirring, but I have found a way to use it one night, stir the next day, then use it a second night, then throw away the used material - so at least stirring isn’t a bother when I want to be using it.

The vapor quality is way better than the Mighty. I feel safer with the glass and ceramic materials although, in fairness to the Mighty, I know of know health concern with it. The Firefly is exceedingly easy to clean, so I clean it every time I load it which means that it is always fresh and clean, and I like that a lot. I like the charging cradle better than the Mighty charging plug. I have the cradle on my bed stand and I pop the Firefly in, in the morning, and store the device there - much more convenient for me and I never run into a “crap, my battery is low” situation like with the Mighty. I may wear the battery out sooner this way, big deal I’ll buy another battery I have no problems with the restricted draw, I just take what it gives me and have a little patience... after all, I am a Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers fan - R.E.L.A.X. :-)

I have not used my Mighty since I got this device, and I probably won’t, except as backup.

The Firefly would not be a good session vape in comparison to the Mighty, but for my purposes it is just about perfect.

scouse, NYC_Frank, JCat and 6 others like this.
  4. Vigor

Vigor Member

Firefly has this on their website:

• A fully-charged battery can deliver between 6 - 8 bowls of material. Your experience may vary based on your usage and normal aging of battery capacity.
    Is this true for anyone?

My battery started to perform poorly giving me 15 30-sec activations. So I ordered 2 new batteries. The replacements however are even worse providing only 10 activations each.

I contacted support, and they are telling me "It is normal to get 12 to 20 draws that are the recommended 7-10 seconds each".

The math just doesn't match their FAQ. 12 draws/6 bowls is equivalent to 2 draws per bowl. It takes me at least 5-8 full 30 sec draws to vaporize a bowl.

I love FF2 when it works, but their batteries and support need improvement.
    Another vote for standardized batteries.

JCat likes this.
  5. cheeseholidays

cheeseholidays Well-Known Member

I finally felt like I had to deep clean it. I’ve been using concentrates in it quite a bit lately. Fortunately, it’s really straightforward to disassemble and reassemble. I used a needle on the clogged holes and ISO soaked the disk. I have to say I think I’m noticing an airflow improvement.

JCat likes this.
  6. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

When my battery is working correctly, I can get 80-100 hits on a charge. If I took all those hits in the course of a couple hours, it would always produce that many hits. It’s when I leave the battery idle for hours that I get the bad battery behavior.

For folks who haven’t run across the idle battery bug, I suspect they indeed get 80 or more hits per charge.

vapen00b likes this.
  7. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

80-100 hits per battery per charge?
    How long are your draws?
    What temp(s)?

I thought people were complaining about bad battery capacity..? This sounds very good like a non-issue. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your thoughts

8. mitchgo61

Pretty long draws. 20 seconds or so. People are experiencing a weird bug that, to my knowledge, FF hasn’t really figured out just yet. For folks who don’t have that issue, they should be getting pretty robust battery performance.

vapen00b likes this.
  9. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

Thanks. Would you mind sharing your temps and what you do/avoid to achieve such a great consistent battery performance?

Thank you for your insights and happy 420 everyone !

10. Brewervapesalot

Just get a couple batteries and the external charger; that's what a lot people do. Then it doesnt matter the heat setting or battery life. The FF2 is more of at home vaporizer anyway.... it's fragile and awkward to load on the go. Quality vapor though!

NYC_Frank, YaMon, mitchgo61 and 2 others like this.
  11. mitchgo61

Right, for me that’s the real secret. Two batts....one I keep charged in the external charger. I have it ready for when the one in the FF goes red.

I use pretty high temps, usually 400 or higher. If I do a full session at once I can go through at least two bowls before killing the battery.

vapen00b likes this.
  12. Vigor

Vigor Member

I bought external charger and 2 new batteries, the problem is that new batteires die after 10 activations and firefly support tried to tell me that it's normal, or that pulling for 30sec is too long or using 108% calibration is somehow non-standard. This is why I am trying to establish a baseline of what real world performance people are seeing from good batteries.

Please share Temperature, length of draw, calibration, number of activations and number of bowls you can get from a single battery.

80 x 20 sec draws from a single battery would make me very happy.

What temp and calibration do you use?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
    vapen00b likes this.
  13. mitchgo61

Usually high, temps north of 350. Temp has no effect on my battery performance....as long as I avoid the “idle battery” bug I get great performance.

vapen00b likes this.
  14. F-UCTD

F-UCTD New Member

I have been having a few problems with my firefly 2 since the last update. The green light wouldn't stay on when I was pressing both buttons and it would not heat up, however I have found a solution if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. Set the firefly to accept either single button. Since I've done this I've had no issues and I'm still in love with my firefly 2. For reference I set my temp at 360 and hand tear my bud, this seems to produce the best flavour with 10- 15 second draw with decent cloud production. The trick is to not rush your draw or suck in too hard.

mixchu69 and vapen00b like this.
  15. smoking2long

smoking2long Well-Known Member

Haven’t posted for a while, but wanted to give a shout out of thanks to Firefly. They just repaired my unit that was almost 2 year old unit. I sent it back because one of the charger pins fell off, so I couldn’t charge in cradle. They fixed the problem plus about 4 other things that I never noticed. Fortunately the Ascent and Iolite were available for back up. Although the Ascent isn’t just used for back up. It’s always used to toast the ABV from the Firefly for a few more tokes. Again, thanks Firefly.

16. jvapour

jvapour Member

I’ve noticed that when I use my Firefly 2 with a fresh battery, then leave it with a partially discharged battery for a few days, usually when I come back to it I get the flashing red light indicating the battery is dead. But what I have found lately is that if I try to activate it several times in a row the unit will “push through” and the battery will last for an entire session. I will initially get the flashing red for 3-5 cycles, then after that it’s solid green. I haven’t tried this for more than just 1 extra bowl, but I’m curious if this is a way to get the battery life that Firefly advertises? Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? If not, try it next time and let me know if the same happens for you.

mitchgo61 and mixchu69 like this.
  17. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Mine acts weird daily. Similar to your experience. After a full charge, mine starts blinking green but ends up going red whenever I start a session. I have to pull my battery and reinstall and that usually fixes the bug. Anyone else experiencing this?

18. bloomin

bloomin Active Member

Just thought I'd share this new video I found on YouTube,
    Click to play YouTube Video
    in case anyone's thinking of doing a deep clean. As the video says ' ..its no big deal',... as long as you're careful !
    Did mine the other day after a year of daily use. Suprisingly very little to clean. Also, its one of the few vapes that I am more than happy to continue using, after I've seen inside :) Zero to concern me personally and I'm very picky when it comes to vape internals.:tup:

19. kneepel

kneepel New Member

So my dock charger broke a little bit ago, and I'm currently waiting on an external charger to ship but in the meantime I really wanted to use my device, so I improvised:

[​IMG]

Just stripped an old 9v camera charger I had and taped the leads onto the pins. Works pretty well so far with about 1hr for a full charge. Posting cause I thought some here would find this funny lol.

brainiac, scouse, Gregori and 5 others like this.
  20. Brewervapesalot

One of my units does this... it comes and goes. At one point I was pretty sure it's the battery, but I'm less than 100% sure of that lately.

21. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

I experience this, but only with one of my batteries really (I think it very, very occasionally happens with the other one, but happens pretty consistently with one of them)

Brewervapesalot likes this.
  22. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Maybe an indication a battery on its way out or underperforming? I have some new batteries. I'll test.

Brewervapesalot likes this.
  23. jvapour

jvapour Member

What firmware version do you all have? I’m on 1.33 and I’m on iOS. I’m wondering if different units or different app operating systems (iOS vs Android) are pushing different firmware versions?

24. bloomin

bloomin Active Member

I have firmware version 3.27 on an Iphone 4 and App. version 3.1. If thats any help :)

25. Silveradio

Silveradio Active Member

I’m on a galaxy 7 edge (android) with firmware 1.33 and app version 2.1.2 and its up to date

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors