The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvapour

Does anyone know any deals or cheaper ways to order replacement batteries? Mine are almost 3 years old now and are definitely having some issues. But buying them from Firefly it would be $30 each plus ~$10 shipping. $70 just to replace my 2 batteries is a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

Located in Canada but can also ship to the US (benefit of living close to the border). So open to US or Canadian stores.

Thanks!

jvapour,

Brewervapesalot

I've just called support again for my second return within a year. This time the unit blinks blue three times and then turns red when it is on the dock. They said it's a known issue and they will repair or replace, but damn. I'm bummed because I feel like I purchased a premium vape (at least pricewise) and it isn't reliable.

Also, I think it's lame that I am expected to pay return shipping for a warranty issue, especially after two failures within the first year. :(

Does anyone know of a similar vap that I might try instead of the FF? I want something that I can hit once or twice and then leave it til next time. FF does everything I want it to - when it works.

My firefly 2 had the same issue. Another did the same thing. They replaced both. I think one cause is using a charger that is cheap and low voltage. I never had issues when I avoided that.

As to other vapes, this one is better and on sale for less $200:

https://firewoodvapes.com

Perfect for 1 or 2 hits. Plus when already packed, it has 5 bowls all ready to go. And if you want, you can load 25 bowls at once in less than two minutes and be dialed in for however long it takes you to finish them:

https://ibb.co/jc9JVL

Perfect for groups. Way less draw restriction. Flavor is about the same as FF2. Standard batteries cost $5. I have had both vapes, this one is better on all fronts except FF2 has marginally better flavor and FF2 is ridiculously easy to clean (until the holes clog...).

Does anyone know any deals or cheaper ways to order replacement batteries? Mine are almost 3 years old now and are definitely having some issues. But buying them from Firefly it would be $30 each plus ~$10 shipping. $70 just to replace my 2 batteries is a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

I looked for A VERY LONG TIME for other battery sources. End up just buying a herd when they went on sale. I'd just wait a few more weeks and sales are likely. I would not be surprised if a FF3 isnt too far off. Seen price drops on FF2...

Last edited:

twigs

Pay no mind to those voices in my head
Sad day for my FF2! It had been showing the blinking red light syndrome (in the middle of a draw) for a few weeks, so I ordered a new battery. Fully charged, it works for about 3 draws and then the lights start blinking again -- first the green heating light blinks off and on a couple of times, followed by blinking red. The app indicates the battery is still fully charged. I guess it's time to return it.

twigs,

Grey hair

Flop shot guru
Sad day for my FF2! It had been showing the blinking red light syndrome (in the middle of a draw) for a few weeks, so I ordered a new battery. Fully charged, it works for about 3 draws and then the lights start blinking again -- first the green heating light blinks off and on a couple of times, followed by blinking red. The app indicates the battery is still fully charged. I guess it's time to return it.
I had the same issue.
I talked to CS and received an authorization number for a return.
The techs replaced the faulty charging dock.
Hope this helps.

Grey hair,

jvapour

That happens to me sometimes, but I can usually “push through it” by pressing and holding the buttons a few times. It will give the red flashing dead battery LEDs for the first 4-5 times. Eventually it will heat and do a full cycle. Give it a try, it might work.

EconMan

Cannabis Economics
Always makes me nervous, to hear these stories, since I've had no trouble thus far with mine (about 6 mths old).
But I don't really use mine like a portable, more like a desktop.

brainiac

log wrangler
I use an ff1 - same battery ofc.
Li-ion batteries are less affected by low ambient temperature then lead-acid but they are significantly affected. I bought a new battery recently but since the weather turned cold here it's not working too good.

So I tried this: when you get a red light remove the battery and put it close to some warm part of your body (not too close - don't taser yourself ;)). Give it 5 to 10 mins, replace, fire up the fly and see if you get a better result. Works for me.

Repost of a picture that imgur decided was too good for you.

Cloudt-Flyv.jpg

:peace:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Li-ion batteries are less affected by low ambient temperature then lead-acid but they are significantly affected. I bought a new battery recently but since the weather turned cold here it's not working too good.

So I tried this: when you get a red light remove the battery and put it close to some warm part of your body (not too close - don't taser yourself ;)). Give it 5 to 10 mins, replace, fire up the fly and see if you get a better result. Works for me.

Cloudt-Flyv.jpg

Love that silver beauty don't ya ;)

EconMan

Cannabis Economics

Cloudt-Flyv.jpg

This is SUCH a cool picture. They should pay you for the rights to use this. I do a lot of backpacking and I just love the symbolism.

EconMan,
Reactions: brainiac

atv3d

Out of the US or Canada you do not exist
renderTimingPixel.png

This is the answer of the technical service:

"If you are out of warranty and out of the US or Canada I'm afraid we won't be able to repair the unit, I apologize for the inconvenience. "

The problem with the firefly 2 is the manufacturer. With how easy it is to disassemble, anyone could repair it

How is it possible that a vaporizer that costs as much as a washing machine can not be repaired?

Where is the good vibes of Mark Williams and Sasha Robinson, founders of firefly?

https://www.thefirefly.com/about

Bla bla bla

Question of time that someone makes a vaporizer better and repairable. It's not very hard.

My washing machine has 15 programs, centrifuge at 1000 rpm, all in steel etc etc. Pay for it € 250. Someone is stealing from us in front of our noses

atv3d,
Reactions: arb

TheBandit

I must confess that I've never really liked my FF2. I love the first hit it gives... but after that everything else about it is sort of a pain. Unevenly heated herb. The constant need to stir. The occasional inexplicable combustion. I'm not big on the restricted air flow either, but I could live with it if there weren't other obvious drawbacks. The biggest one is the uneven heating because that's at the root of the other issues. There's nothing like flipping your herb over to find a scorched part in the center surrounded by rings of brown and green. I've never used another vaporizer where I feel like I can pick out unvaped leaves from a "spent" bowl. That said, the flavor is totally amazing -- for that first hit. After that, it's no better than anything else, really. The build quality is excellent. The app is excellent. It appears to be pretty reliable, which it should be for the price. But man, is it a hassle.

I think I'm going to give mine one last go and experiment with different grinds and levels of fill to see if I can discover a sweet spot that minimizes these issues. Not overpacking is crucial... but underpacking has problems of its own.

Brewervapesalot

Medium-course grind, best with kiefy herb. Fill loosely full, mounded over a little bit. Tamp lightly. Stir well every hit. Long slow draws. That's the best I got with my FF2. Draw restriction killed me. But flavor, as you say on the first hit or two, is the best I've had. Cleaning also super easy. Until the holes clog....

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Dattisso

F-UCTD

The best, and I have tried all other ways is to hand tear your bud into small little pellets then place these small pellets into your firefly 2. Now, and this is crucial - they have to protrude above the rim of the bowl and the glass on the lid should squash them down. once you are sure of the seal take your first hit. Open it up a give a small stir or tap it against your hand a few times. Hit it again. Now for this hit it's going to be massive, get a dab tool and break up those little pellets, make sure to lift it high enough that the glass is holding it down, this is why it was a good thing to overstuff it slightly in the beginning. Now rip it until the light goes off, the best flavour has gone by now but its still pretty good. Then stir for all remaining. I love my firefly2 it has great flavour and it can chuck clouds with the best of them. I chuck denser clouds than my mate with his mighty. If I could change one thing it would be the need to stir. You can tap and it works a bit but if you're a flavour chaser, and I assume you are as you bought a firefly 2, then you have to stir.

F-UCTD

Got to say my titanium dab tool is perfect for crushing the abv. Especially right at the end. You think its cashed but then you crush the pellets with the dab tool and it's amazing how much there still is in there.

F-UCTD,
Reactions: EconMan

EconMan

Cannabis Economics
The best, and I have tried all other ways is to hand tear your bud into small little pellets then place these small pellets into your firefly 2. Now, and this is crucial - they have to protrude above the rim of the bowl and the glass on the lid should squash them down. once you are sure of the seal take your first hit. Open it up a give a small stir or tap it against your hand a few times. Hit it again. Now for this hit it's going to be massive, get a dab tool and break up those little pellets, make sure to lift it high enough that the glass is holding it down, this is why it was a good thing to overstuff it slightly in the beginning. Now rip it until the light goes off, the best flavour has gone by now but its still pretty good. Then stir for all remaining. I love my firefly2 it has great flavour and it can chuck clouds with the best of them. I chuck denser clouds than my mate with his mighty. If I could change one thing it would be the need to stir. You can tap and it works a bit but if you're a flavour chaser, and I assume you are as you bought a firefly 2, then you have to stir.

I agree 100%.
I like to lurk for a few weeks when I join a new forum, so this post also represents me leaving my cave:)

I love my FF2 as well, but I don't use it within its weaknesses but its strengths. I bought well after its introduction, and at a nice discount, so most of the hype escaped me. To this day it is my most used vape. It sits in its cradle on my desk right in front of me, ALWAYS clean, loaded, and ready, and as @F-UCTD instructed with the load touching the glass peekhole. I have never even used the other battery as I've never needed it. By many metrics, my FF2 is my favorite desktop. LOL

Speaking of loads, as you mentioned, it just requires a COARSE grind. So many ppl seem to over-grind. A coarse grind is slightly more than waving the grinder across the flower. I stopped using a grinder entirely and now mostly just use fingers and a small pair of scissors depending on strain.

Something else to consider, and so many ppl I know have this wrong. The airflow is NOT in the direction of "into" the bowl, but "out of" it. The airflow travels towards the glass "peephole" not into the bowl. The little holes in the bowl should not get clogged if you (1) brush out the bowl with new every load (2) do not overgrind (3) don't cram rosin into the holes -- use the concentrate pad. (if they do get clogged, just do a dry run on concentrates mode and it self-cleans".

ALSO, for those who believe there is not enough airflow (too restricted), take off your mouthpiece and locate the tiny stainless steel micro-screen and gently remove it. It doubles air throughput I suspect -- at least a 50% increase. The cost which in my experience is near zero if you grind right, is an occasional micro-partical that may make its way through the airpath. This has happened once to me out of hundreds of draws.

But yes, I don't want to in any way "gaslight" those who struggle with the FF2. (Never understood why folks get upset when another doesn't like something they like?). It is NOT an "easy vape". Regardless, to me it is like a Cat vs a Dog. They each are capable of loving you, but if you want loved by a cat, it is totally on their terms. There will be times when you want "love" and it has nothing for you. This is like the FireFly 2 for me. The best, most tasty, most magnificent "god-hits" I've ever taken were on that little "coffin" looking thing, that is so statistically temperamental.... it insists on things being ideal, humidity, technique, planetary alignment, etc. But I do love it and am thankful for it. If I lost it, I would buy another one. And it just shines for concentrates. This is a high-performance sports car; it will NOT be as reliable as a Toyota. In my view it is not for everyone and there are large categories of personalities who will find this vape a total turn off.

fatbiker

I’m considering purchasing a FF2 solely as a portable concentrate unit.

What are your thoughts.?

I wish we had more info on the FF3!

fatbiker,
Reactions: sd401k

buckhakeesah

@fatbiker Hey man, I know we talked briefly when I was interested in the MV1. If you didn't like the 15 sec pulls required for the MV1. You're gonna have the same obstacles when dealing with getting a good experience with the FF2 using concentrate. Mainly draw restriction and length of draw. Likes 5 times the draw resistance vs. MV1 is my best guestimate. But if you take the time to learn the draw needed, its a mighty fine concentrate portable option. Its just not a quick process. It takes some time to melt it down and then the patience and time needed to enjoy the several rips you get off a rice grain size.

Last edited:

fatbiker

@fatbiker Hey man, I know we talked briefly when I was interested in the MV1. If you didn't like the 15 sec pulls required for the MV1. You're gonna have the same obstacles when dealing with getting a good experience with the FF2 using concentrate. Mainly draw restriction and length of draw. Likes 5 times the draw resistance vs. MV1 is my best guestimate. But if you take the time to learn the draw needed, its a mighty fine concentrate portable option. Its just not a quick process. It takes some time to melt it down and then the patience and time needed to enjoy the several rips you get off a rice grain size.

I watched a few videos about the draw techniques needed to get good results. I think the puffing go get it tolling would be ok. I didn’t like that you needed to inhale 15-20 constantly with the MV1. The only flower portable I use now is a Moghtu. I’m looking for something strictly for concentrates. I prefer an on-demand vape for a portable. That is the main drawback of my Migjtu.

I was thinking of loading up a few concentrate pads and taking the FF2 with me as a portable on-demand vape. With my luck they will release the FF3 as soon as I buy he FF2

fatbiker,

glennsgarage

The battery life is horrible. One load in 35 degree weather and it’s dead. Customer service is on par with Comcast. Only seems like they exist to derail customer support. The crafty or the mighty beat the ff2 in all respects. If you really want a ff2 buy it from planet of the vapes because they will take it back without any backtalk.

fatbiker

The battery life is horrible. One load in 35 degree weather and it’s dead. Customer service is on par with Comcast. Only seems like they exist to derail customer support. The crafty or the mighty beat the ff2 in all respects. If you really want a ff2 buy it from planet of the vapes because they will take it back without any backtalk.

That is terrible. I live in the cold so it’s important to have a strong battery.

I love my Mighty. However, I’m looking for something a bit more portable and I’d like on-demand vape versus a session.

fatbiker,

Tranquility

I keep my FF2 on the charger all the time when I'm not using it so don't really know how long the battery lasts overall. The vape is far from perfect. But for my use, the battery is fine. (That being said, I'm from California and put on my "winter coat" when the temp drops to the high 60s.)

https://optibike.com/lithium-battery-performance-in-cold-temperatures/
lithium-battery-temperature-vs-capacity.jpg

fatbiker

I’ll hold out for the FF3. I don’t want to buy something that has such a small and under powered battery. Hopefully the next version will have a better battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom