1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

Hey friend,

did you try to contact @Lozo and ask for one of his bigger-holed screens?
    They definitely reduce the draw resistance by a good degree... I'm pretty confident it could make you fall in love again... Well worth a try! :)

Maybe you have someone near you who could replace the screen... It's pretty easy in general and does not take long - but some dexterity is needed

2. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Still draining battery. I think it’s lasting this long just to spite me.

I will prevail :sherlock:

Edit: Got it done 7.4V under load (sag) then 7.7V (rested state)

That makes sense for cells this size.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    amethystwolf, Jill NYC and vapen00b like this.
  3. mixchu69

mixchu69 Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the @Lozo screen? Wonder if performance has improved.

JCat and Jill NYC like this.
  4. Brewervapesalot

Brewervapesalot Well-Known Member

I just got a couple and will try. My moded screens, hammer and pin method, perform better so I have high hopes for these too!

mixchu69 and JCat like this.
  5. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

I find the vape gets too hot while I need to go much higher in temp and extraction is weaker.. Never went to 220C plus 111% overdrive for erb, abv not as dark as usual when on 220C (100%).

Lozo's screen is thicker than the original one plus it's a different material. SS vs. Ti (original). These factors rob and distribute heat differently.
    I'd love to have a thin Ti disc with @Lozo -sized holes :)

Boden and mixchu69 like this.
  6. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Bit like putting a oversized race exhaust on a unmodified engine and wondering why the performance got worse.

Just throws the system out of balance.

vapen00b likes this.
  7. szai

szai Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to get rid of mine. I never use it after getting a Omnivap two months after buying it.

Helios likes this.
  8. Lozo

Lozo Active Member

@vapen00b yes completely agree with what you said. For me the draw is much easier, but yes the FF2 body gets hotter, I've found the ABV to be more even throughout and I agree with what you said about it being lighter too but I feel I get full extraction after going up a bit in heat towards the end of the bowl.

@Boden the thinnest steel I could get quickly for this experiment was 0.5 mm, way too thick but it does show that there's potential to experiment with the hole sizing. I mentioned to @vapen00b that I'll see if I can get a thinner Ti screen made with my hole dia and see how that works. In my opinion the performance is better for me now than with the original screen but that's just my opinion for sure.

9. Torbill

Torbill Active Member

I had a bad experience last night. I am new to Firefly, and have been using this unit for a couple of weeks without problems. Then, last night, boom, combustion.

I have the unit set to 400 deg.

The night before last I did a fresh bowl. I ground dry herb with a Santa Cruz shredder, then strained out the fines so that I have a coarse and pretty uniform grind. I always measure by weight, and I used 0.16 grams and packed the bowl rather tight and there was a slight mound at the top of the bowl that slightly pressed up against the top glass, just like others here have instructed - the material is dry and does not compress much. I took three hits and put it away for the next night. All three hits were perfect.

Last night I stirred the bowl from the previous night. There was one small charred spot - there is always a charred spot, it seems - and the rest looked fine, some green and some tan.

Eight seconds into my first draw of the evening I got combustion. Why would this occur? The temperature set point is way below combustion. I double checked the setting in the app, and it is still set to 400 deg. My draw technique was the same as always, slow and long. I was so suprised when this happened that it took a bit for me to realize what was happening.

How could combustion have happened? I cannot explain it.

vapen00b likes this.
  10. Brewervapesalot

Looks like you're over packing. It should not be packed tight...

Unless you stir well after each pull.

Else you will combust....

Two options to fill a firefly 2 in my opinion: (1) loose and below the rim. Tapping the unit should stir the material after one draw. Or (2) slightly over pack, loosely, tamp ever so slightly, and then stir after each and every pull.

The first way is quick, easy, and works great. The second way can give you a couple-three slightly larger clouds, compared to the first way.

Poostuff, F-UCTD, vapen00b and 6 others like this.
  11. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

I agree...I’ve combusted in the FF, below the concentrates setting, several times. Pack really tight, pull too hard for just a second too long....suddenly the FF is a pipe. :lol:

12. Torbill

Torbill Active Member

I appreciate the ideas.

After I posted this, I remembered that Firefly has good customer support, so I started a chat with a representative and sent the note that I had posted here.

The comments were similar to what you are telling me. The representative went further, suggesting that I tear the weed and not use my shredder and that I reduce temperature on the second session.

I am using very dry weed, about a year old, that I have kept air tight but not humidity controlled. I want to see if the CBN comes up, as I am dealing with insomnia. The weed is potent, but is also hard, and it crumbles - not soft and sticky like when it comes new from the dispensary.

The shredder (followed by straining with kitchen strainer) produces a very uniform and, by my standards, coarse output. I like this a lot. Last night I tried tearing the weed apart and putting the chunks in, per the Firefly recommendation. I thought that the hits were satisfactory, but not great, a bit weak. I stirred this morning, and unlike with my shredder, no charred spots were present - a plus. Tonight will be my second session - it will be with the once used and now stirred bowl, and I will see what happens.

What I don’t like about this method is the lack of uniformity. I would think that a uniform airflow across all of the weed would be best, and that this would be best accomplished by a finer “grind” than the chunks that I put in last night. What I put in last night obviously has non-uniform air spaces. Air is like water, taking the path of least resistance. This suggests to me that I am not going to get uniform extraction and hits.

My question is, is anybody using a Santa Cruz shredder, other than me? Or, is everybody tearing the weed apart?

The message I am getting, loud and clear from you folks, is that tight packing can lead to combustion. Got it. So, how about loose packing with dry weed? Do you shred it or do you tear it apart?

vapen00b likes this.
  13. Goita

Goita Member

I use a slx shredder which is quite course but seems to work well with the firefly 2 - i fill the bowl to the brim but don't bother tamping it down which leaves room for the air to flow and this seems to work well with good even abv. I find that if I do this and tamp it down it makes the draw resistance greater and then less enjoyable.

sd401k likes this.
  14. Torbill

Torbill Active Member

Goita, are you using dry weed, so that you get fines when you grind? If so, do you put them into the bowl too?

15. Brewervapesalot

Space case works well with FF2

16. Goita

Goita Member

Hi Torbil

It is just cured and vaped straight after grinding, somtimes there might be some left over from a previous session which has dried out further which works fine but flavours aren't as strong. Not sure if that helps. I do stir after every 2 draws which seems to create consistent clouds and it is set at 190 celcius on 107% power tuning.

17. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

Nice sale on at the moment. $100 off if you buy directly from the site. 229.95 USD that’s not a bad deal for anyone on the fence plus those Zebra wood & Oak lids they have now look great.

JCat and Brewervapesalot like this.
  18. Brewervapesalot

Discounts can mean a new design in the works, so i hope a firefly 3 isn't far off:)

Poostuff, ElPic, twigs and 1 other person like this.
  19. petey

petey Well-Known Member

Looks like I may have ruined my FF. I took it apart to clean the screen, and decided to widen some of the holes with a hammer and needle. I enlarged about ten holes. To my eye those holes are now about as big as those on Lozo's screen. But the flow is incredibly free now -- about like my Plenty. I took it apart three more times because I was convinced I must have put a gasket in wrong or something, but I couldn't think of any other way to reassemble it.

Anyway, it's now only usable at high temps, and it tastes like shit. Just wanted folks who might be considering this to be careful and thoughtful first. Actually I had made peace with mine, after learning how to keep that screen clean. Should have left it alone. You think FF has screens for sale?

JCat likes this.
  20. sd401k

sd401k Member

If they don't have them for sale, take the screen down to a local machine shop, they'll most likely be able to make you one, it won't be cheap, probably at least $20.00 for the first one you have made and exponentially cheaper after that. They'll be able to put as many holes of whatever size you want.

JCat likes this.
  21. twigs

twigs Pay no mind to those voices in my head

Last night I took my Firefly 1 out for a session. I was reminded what a solid feeling, well made vape this old baby is. With some nice dry and flavorful indica, it was lights out, without all the bells and whistles of an app!

mitchgo61 and sd401k like this.
  22. sd401k

sd401k Member

It is a nice vape, Whenever I want that "full bodied" lift to the stratosphere, I pack up my OG Firefly and 4 rips is all it takes and I'm done LOL. Don't use it often anymore just because I have a few new toys to play with but the effects of the Firefly 1 are not to be underestimated.

23. Brewervapesalot

Can you post a pic of the modified screen? I'm curious as I modified both of my units with tack hammer and needle. I did not take the units apart at all and tapped very lightly to increase hole size. Flow is dramatically better, but it's not free flowing by any means. They work great on any temp and I much prefer it over the stock unit.

Maybe if we post pics side by side we can figure out how much is too much when increasing hole size.... vapecritic also reported increasing hole size too much is no bueno...

This is what you're going for:

https://ibb.co/n0pGUx

Or other unit:

https://ibb.co/fPHObc

The tapping also creates slight indentations. Because of these, I no longer have to poke the holes clean; the holes no longer clog and if they do they come clean with just a alcohol wipe.

Unit with Lozo screen next to it:

https://ibb.co/nfNEGc

And

https://ibb.co/nJfjGc

And lit up:

https://ibb.co/m6goRc

(Lozo's screen holes seems too big by the looks of it... but I haven't installed and tried his yet)

P.S. Writing this post made me vape two fireflies for what feels like a couple hours, but was actually, probably, much less than that... f*** ... definitely too medicated... it's nice... just probably can't stand up for a few...

Great vape... no vape tastes a good as this one... low setting after a warm up on high, and sandwhich kief into the grind... perfect... and love the wipe the bowl clean in 3 seconds feature...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    JCat, petey and Jill NYC like this.
  24. Lozo

Lozo Active Member

I've found with more testing that the stainless disk I made is perhaps too thick but that's all I could get my hands on, it works well but retains too much heat and overheats the FF2 more easily than with the standard screen, happens if I'm going through multiple bowls at 205 - 210 C with calibration set at 110%.

What I've done now (just yesterday) is to drill out the holes on the Ti disk (original disk that came with the FF2). Outer row of holes went to 0.5 and inner rows to 0.3....so far less overheating and easier draws as per the screens / disks I made but slightly more uneven ABV when compared to the stainless version.

Guys n girls remember I only did this experiment for my own use and I'm not saying it'll improve the usage for everyone but it made the FF2 better for me.

@Brewervapesalot when you do (if you do) install the screen, please make sure there are no lips around the outer edge of the disk / screen that can damage the bowl.....perhaps a little sanding if in doubt.

25. petey

petey Well-Known Member

Sorry, mine is being shipped to FF for repair. To my eyes, the enlarged holes are about twice the size of the originals. Probably a lot bigger than yours, though, because I took the plate out. It's also possible my mod mal-shaped the plate a little. The assembly seems to only put moderate pressure on the connected pieces, so if the plate got a little warped it might be letting air in through the sides as well. When I draw there's so much air flowing it whistles a little, like a tea kettle.

Are the plates designed to lie flat or do they have a curve shape? After the mod, mine wound up curved. (You can reverse the curve by popping the center with your thumb.) In later attempts to fix it, I tried to tap it flatter with a hammer, and close up the underside of the enlarged holes, but nothing helped.

I was surprised when FF told me they won't even look at repairing units (even for a fee) after voided warranties, but they seemed familiar with my predicament (trying to stop sucking my brains out to get a hit), so they made "an exception," estimating a $30 charge if they determine I just need the plate replaced. They would not send me a plate to install myself.

The thing is, after establishing a more militaristic cleaning routine, I was relatively happy with the thing. So my plan is to spend the $30 and then leave it alone. No hash, better cleaning.

JCat likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors