The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EconMan

Cannabis Economics
Also, I wanted to ask if anyone knows this. Is there any other bad effect from taking the screen off of the mouthpiece other than risking getting a bit of matter in your mouth or windpipe? I mean, does it set off the calibration or something..

No, it only impacts particles that get into your mouth (think about it, the FF2 has no traditional screen.... air goes OUT of the bowl.... the little ss mouthpiece filter is the only mechanical screen from the flower to the mouth. I use a coarse grind and I've had this be problem for me perhaps three times out of hundreds of hits.

RE calibration. All calibration is, is the literal meaning of that word. You define where zero is. Calibration is a linear multiplier. Make it 10 and across ALL heat settings actual heater temp increases by 10%. it's that simple and all it is. I bought a year ago well after the "hype" period, and my understanding is the original FF2's called it something weird, like power boost or something like that. All it does is define zero -- a mathematical challenge going on since the number was conveniently invented by the ancient babylonians.

I was under the impression that the flashing red light means the unit is over heating, I wasn't aware it's also low battery warning

It isn't. Blinking red means low battery; solid red means overheated.
For dabbers, note that "overheated" is a good thing in concentrates mode (460f+, I usually like 500). The FF2 is perhaps the best portable I've used for concentrates. For Rosin it is better than my Puffco Peak. Easy to load and clean and keep clean, and the beautiful clear reclaim that collects on the lid is a true dabbing delicacy.
I purposely over heat mine for this purpose. The first draw.. is "cigaring" it a bit, just to get the oven area HOT. Then a steady draw that is so darn tasty. During the end of the second draw I want to get it overheated (solid red light) and from that point on it is just a proverbial hot banger as one continues to draw vapor with no need for further battery power..... just keep going until no more vapor.... and the red light goes off. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

LegalAlien

No, it only impacts particles that get into your mouth (think about it, the FF2 has no traditional screen.... air goes OUT of the bowl.... the little ss mouthpiece filter is the only mechanical screen from the flower to the mouth. I use a coarse grind and I've had this be problem for me perhaps three times out of hundreds of hits.

RE calibration. All calibration is, is the literal meaning of that word. You define where zero is. Calibration is a linear multiplier. Make it 10 and across ALL heat settings actual heater temp increases by 10%. it's that simple and all it is. I bought a year ago well after the "hype" period, and my understanding is the original FF2's called it something weird, like power boost or something like that. All it does is define zero -- a mathematical challenge going on since the number was conveniently invented by the ancient babylonians.

It isn't. Blinking red means low battery; solid red means overheated.
For dabbers, note that "overheated" is a good thing in concentrates mode (460f+, I usually like 500). The FF2 is perhaps the best portable I've used for concentrates. For Rosin it is better than my Puffco Peak. Easy to load and clean and keep clean, and the beautiful clear reclaim that collects on the lid is a true dabbing delicacy.
I purposely over heat mine for this purpose. The first draw.. is "cigaring" it a bit, just to get the oven area HOT. Then a steady draw that is so darn tasty. During the end of the second draw I want to get it overheated (solid red light) and from that point on it is just a proverbial hot banger as one continues to draw vapor with no need for further battery power..... just keep going until no more vapor.... and the red light goes off. :)

So what settings do you use? I keep mine mainly on medium high with the calibration setting on 100 which is right in the middle. Aren't you worried about combustion?

LegalAlien,

204Markie

Hello FC, I recently adopted a FF2 and I'm very much impressed. I was curious if you guys use the concentrate pad on top of the herb to avoid some debris or to be able to use a finer grind. I was thinking to do what I do with my plenty by putting the pad on top.

But really though, this this is my portable plenty, does both herb and concentrates soooo well. I'm just not a fan of the battery and wished it used a USB C to charge.

204Markie,

LabPong

That was my point! Standard 18650's would be way better.

I was not sure....lol I though you may have meant that the "standard firefly" battery was ok.

Yea....if you could use dual 18650's with this vape.....that would be even a better deal!

LabPong,
Reactions: sag

EconMan

Cannabis Economics
So what settings do you use? I keep mine mainly on medium high with the calibration setting on 100 which is right in the middle. Aren't you worried about combustion?

For flower I use 390f at +1% calibration. Unless you are using too fine a grind, not too much danger in combustion. I just have not had a problem with that. The only time has been when I forgot I had it in concentrates mode after loading some flower

The stock batteries are $29.....if you can even find them......not at all cheap compared to a much higher capacity 18650 at $6.

True my friend, but no one has ever heard me claim my beloved Firefly2 was the economical choice. :)

Hello FC, I recently adopted a FF2 and I'm very much impressed. I was curious if you guys use the concentrate pad on top of the herb to avoid some debris or to be able to use a finer grind. I was thinking to do what I do with my plenty by putting the pad on top.
But really though, this this is my portable plenty, does both herb and concentrates soooo well. I'm just not a fan of the battery and wished it used a USB C to charge.

No, you should NOT do that in my view. It defeats the purpose of how it works. The air flows OUT of the bowl rather than into it, and the little glass "peephole" needs to get hot for a proper execution. You do NOT want to use a fine grind on the FF2, for a variety of reasons. It needs to be "chunky" by say PAX standards.... sometimes, depending on strain, I've just used a pair of scissors and cut it up coarse like (or use a coarse grinder). It's a weird vape in this way.

I also have a Plenty and have enjoyed it for sometime now :)

EconMan,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Majordude2626

I use ceramic pads on top of herb. I don't use a fine grind but I do use the pad on top and it works great. There was some discussion in this thread long ago about it. I think maybe even a link to the pads. Check page 176, and i post and copy that quote on page 181 of this thread.

cheers

Majordude2626,

204Markie

Thanks for the info, it's been a week and I find that my batteries are losing charge even when not in use in the device. Also now the batteries show a solid red LED while on the cradle. it will blink blue 3 times then go solid red.

I tried it plugged into a wall charger, then my computer and still a red LED while on the cradle

Last edited:
204Markie,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Good news about a new FF3?

https://www.thefirefly.com/firefly-portable-vaporizer.html/

("DEMAND FOR THE FIREFLY 2 HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE LATELY AND WE ARE COMPLETELY SOLD OUT! We are so grateful and we will be back this spring with evenmore exciting new products for you! Stay tuned on our socialchannels for the latest updates")
It will be interesting to see where they go with next iteration. It’s already spring, so I guess we should expect to hear an announcement soon.

Brewervapesalot

They were pretty close last time, I think. If the air restriction wasnt so bad and holes didnt clog--then I could have lived with everything else.

Brewervapesalot,

LegalAlien

I understand that the hole clogging issue can be mitigated by using a course ground. I'm not sure I even like the effects of vaping. If advocates didn't say its better for your lungs, I'd not be so sure judging by the way I feel after trying to get a good hit. But part of that is the difficult draw that this vape has. I had a VaporGenie for awhile; I didn't particularly like the high you get from vaporizing either. Its a little different from smoking a pipe or a joint.

LegalAlien,

LabPong

I understand that the hole clogging issue can be mitigated by using a course ground. I'm not sure I even like the effects of vaping. If advocates didn't say its better for your lungs, I'd not be so sure judging by the way I feel after trying to get a good hit. But part of that is the difficult draw that this vape has. I had a VaporGenie for awhile; I didn't particularly like the high you get from vaporizing either. Its a little different from smoking a pipe or a joint.

Almost every vape has a different high feel/effects. This is why us that are experienced...have several diff vapes to use and use at different times for different reasons.

LabPong,

Some-new-user

So I caved. I bought a firefly 2 over the weekend. Love the flavour. I think this may beat the MV1 in flavour by a few % for me.

I seem to be getting quite dark herb after the first pull. Is this normal? It's like I only really like taking one hit because I can just taste the avb. This is if I take one hit around 350 or even 340f at 95% calibration. If I go sub 300 I get some really nice flavour, not massive clouds though.

I'm using all sorts of grind. Hand picked. Fluffy, scissors. I dont stir. I just empty the chamber and adjitate the herb and reload. I'm cleaning this like mad too. After every session.

I really enjoy this with concentrates. I think there was someone on reddit who mentioned using the high 400's to get some terpy hits. It really works.

I feel like I'm using the right inhilation technique: couple of cigar style puffs, low and slow then after a few seconds I feel the vapour in my lungs. It's a bit warmer/fuller on the inhale so i pull a little harder.

I've started to get in to the habit of pulling for a few seconds after the heater cuts out to see if this helps cool the bottom plate?

Just feels a shame to load a full chamber and only get one decent hit but maybe I'll get one of those ceramic screens. I'm using a liquid pad and putting less in. I've found putting herb on top of the pad helps cut down the charring and preserves flavour. Everyone says that air flows OUT of the bowl? I guess it makes sense

Some-new-user,

Brewervapesalot

Not normal for dark herb after one pull on any heat setting. You might be over packing and getting a hot spot. The fact that you're getting one pull at 350f is odd. Your should getting over 5 hits, anyway, at that temp. If not a hot spot than maybe a calibration issue.

As a work around for now, try stirring after every hit. You'll probably get a couple extra hits.

Some-new-user

Yeah even at 320 I'm getting significantly browned herb at the bottom. Instead of stirring I'm completely emptying the vape. Taking out what brown bits I can and repacking. I don't pack tight- I did try that but it was very dark then. One thing I have noticed is if I press the lid down a bit when I inhale (2 handed) this significantly increased the resistance. Still get dark brown/black at the bottom of the chamber.

I guess I'll try take the calibration way down? Thank you, just didn't seem right to be getting that colour at these temps

Some-new-user,

Some-new-user

I was drawing for way too long. Possibly too hard too because in reducing my draw times I'm not concerned about maintaining the draw. It's a sort of sippy vape for me if that makes sense?

I came from the MV1 which is very free flowing. Very happy with the flavour. Just done quite a few pulls at 300 and got about 3 pulls at 350. Not even a dark spot but definite signs of healthy extraction. I know I can bump temps up now.

I used the live chat on the firefly website. Fernanda was very helpful - I can't seem to tag Firefly on here? +1 for their customer service/live chat @Brewervapesalot thanks. I'm pretty sure this was what I was doing wrong. I guess now I'm getting the expected results I can concentrate on fine tuning my experience.

I knew something wasn't right. Was pretty sure it was something I was doing. I had seen a video describing how to inhale from this vape and took it as granted. I also took the light/timer as granted. It would be awesome to be able to tailor this in the app, second increments?

Edit - I've temp stepped 1 load up to 410 F lost count of pulls. Very happy customer.

Last edited:

fatbiker

I have no insight to the FF3. However, I do know quite a bit about product life cycles. When I posted a few weeks back they were still selling the FF2. Now I see their site is down and they are not selling anything. I’m stoked to see what they roll out this spring. I bet the release will more likely be summer.

So I caved. I bought a firefly 2 over the weekend. Love the flavour. I think this may beat the MV1 in flavour by a few % for me.

I seem to be getting quite dark herb after the first pull. Is this normal? It's like I only really like taking one hit because I can just taste the avb. This is if I take one hit around 350 or even 340f at 95% calibration. If I go sub 300 I get some really nice flavour, not massive clouds though.

I'm using all sorts of grind. Hand picked. Fluffy, scissors. I dont stir. I just empty the chamber and adjitate the herb and reload. I'm cleaning this like mad too. After every session.

I really enjoy this with concentrates. I think there was someone on reddit who mentioned using the high 400's to get some terpy hits. It really works.

I feel like I'm using the right inhilation technique: couple of cigar style puffs, low and slow then after a few seconds I feel the vapour in my lungs. It's a bit warmer/fuller on the inhale so i pull a little harder.

I've started to get in to the habit of pulling for a few seconds after the heater cuts out to see if this helps cool the bottom plate?

Just feels a shame to load a full chamber and only get one decent hit but maybe I'll get one of those ceramic screens. I'm using a liquid pad and putting less in. I've found putting herb on top of the pad helps cut down the charring and preserves flavour. Everyone says that air flows OUT of the bowl? I guess it makes sense

I’m like you and finally caved on one and got it just a few days ago. Sadly, there is either an issue with the batteries or the firefly itself and I’m trying to troubleshoot.

I reached out to firefly customer service and they want me to send my unit in since they don’t have any batteries in stock for me to try (no one seems to).

How many times can you pack the firefly before your battery dies?

I’m trying to figure out if I need to RMA or keep looking for new batteries...

Last edited:
terrptastin station,
I think I remember getting about five good sessions or so on a charge.

Oh wow, my experience been quite different. The battery that was in the firefly when I first got it charged up in about 50 minutes and it was able to pair with the app and go through the update. Then, I just decided to try and heat it up before I attempted to use it and I would get the flashing red led signaling dead battery. Upon checking the battery through the firefly and on the app it showed the level dropped to 75% — after another attempt it responds same way and then shows 50%.

So I call firefly. They say to try the second battery, but charge it through my computer instead of tablet adapter wall plug. I try this with second battery and it works. I then swap out batteries and charge the one that failed same way — via computer usb. Try it and it fails again same exact way.

At this point I’m thinking okay maybe just a bad battery. Yet on the working “second” battery I barely get three packs at about 6 draws per pack. The firefly seems to run pretty hot too, like on the outside while holding it.

Disclaimer: this was intended by me only to be used with concentrate pad at 470-480f

Sorry if this is too much, but geeeeeese I thought I did my research and right out the box big problems.

terrptastin station,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom