1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

If you like full bodied sized hits you're going to need to draw until that LED light goes out and maybe even for a few seconds after that so maybe 20 secs plus in total. At least for me I am finding thats what I need to do to get a nice satisfying rip out of it. It does kick my ass in ways other ones dont.

mixchu69, JCat and biohacker like this.
  2. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

thanks guys, my biggest concern at this point is the restricted airflow... don't mind some, but if it's twice or more than the Mighty that's probably over my threshold.

JCat likes this.
  3. Bamafan86

Bamafan86 Well-Known Member

You're right so no combustion last night lmao!!

My ff2 was just delivered and I'm at work until 8 tonight. Ahhhhh I can't wait :bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
    JCat likes this.
  4. Boden

Boden Aspie polymath

Quick, run home for lunch and put it on the charger.

:D

JCat and Bamafan86 like this.
  5. Bamafan86

Lmffao I wish!! My girl has the car today, and I work 45 mins from where I live. I would die before I was even close. Go down yelling fatty down fatty down! :rofl:

Jill NYC, Boden and JCat like this.
  6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Definitely quite a bit, but not bad at all. I can rip on it pretty good. When I got mine used, I took it apart, including taking the oven screen out, and gave it a thorough cleaning including cleaning every single hole with a pin from both sides :) Since then, I haven't found the restriction bad at all (the first couple times I tried it before doing this thorough cleaning I thought the restriction was a little much).

I use @herbivore21's technique, which is basically, 5 sec or so draw to heat things up and melt the concentrate, followed by a draw until it shuts off (20 sec?) that is as firm as one can where it is still comfortable ... I actually find this can be a quite firm draw without much issue. (I've got some solid lungs though and not much really bothers them ... but too much restriction does ... like if I overpack my Supreme that bothers me ...) Hard to overpack the FF2 with concentrates! (at least in a way that would affect draw)

The first hit is awesome, and the 2nd hit of the same is likely only maybe a half hit I would say so the taste isn't as good. Awesome clouds, by far the best flavor for concentrates of any portable I have (ie. really awesome), and literally zero waste.

To clean concentrate pads ... throw in a zip-lock with 99% ISO and heat in boiling water ... not sealed ... you don't want it to blow! ... as soon as the ISO is bubbling a little, shake vigorously, put back in water, repeat. Then do a rinse, get fresh ISO and repeat. After that, the ISO usually comes almost clear as I get most of it on first pass and the 2nd pass is just diluting the resin soaked ISO down to get it out of the screens better. Before last step is to throw all the screens in the boiling water for 10 minutes or so. Finally, I place them in the oven on a little foil "tray" @ 275F for maybe 30 min and then they are ready to use! Clean as new!

Edit: My good battery gets 5 sessions (I have 2, and one I don't think is good though as the one time I used it I only got 2 sessions as it died at the end of the 2nd session). My good battery I have used frequently though, and I've never had it die on me (I've never used it for more than 5 sessions though as based on the level at that point it's not likely to make another)

7. buckhakeesah

Interesting results on battery life. Time to crack open my newly purchased ones and compare. Maybe thats my issue. Will report back

Jill NYC, biohacker and Bamafan86 like this.
  8. snorcan

snorcan Stay charged, my friends

I've been trying to get used to the ff2 over the last few weeks... reserving judgement, the airflow restriction is borderline at my tolerance limit in concentrate mode... especially it seems once the pad is well saturated into a session the airflow really tight. Sometimes it's not so bad but I think this has more to do with the draw speed; slower draw = less restriction.

JCat, biohacker and Bamafan86 like this.
  9. Bamafan86

Alright two loads in and WOW! I am really impressed! The jet black is absolutely gorgeous! There is a slight imperfection on the lid close to the window, but nothing that noticeable.

Loaded up some beautiful white widow, and got
    delicious rips every time. More testing is still needed but so far I'm very pleased with the purchase!:tup:

Firefly sent me a $20 off coupon for any order over $50. I plan on getting the external battery charger, but I'm not sure on what else to get. They have a quickcharge brick that I might get as well, and with a extra usb cable the order came out to be $56. Do you guys recommend getting something else besides the extra brick and usb cable?

10. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

I see you have a couple of GH's... have you tried concentrate in cotton in them? How does that experience compare? @JCat?

11. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I've been to afraid to put any concentrate in my GH! It's a fragile device at the best of times :) ... I suppose I could as long as I made sure it was always upside down (so water use only so wouldn't be any good for on-the-go usage with concentrates ... would only serve as a desktop unit due to this ...)

The FF2 on the other hand, although I haven't made a mess of it yet, if I do, I know I can disassemble and clean to pretty much like new from factory condition in <1/2 an hour.

12. snorcan

snorcan Stay charged, my friends

@biohacker My Ti Hopper has been dedicated as a concentrate ripper since the summer of 2015. I roll a few small grains of crumble (preferred to sticky shatter) in a little bit of organic cotton, and insert into the chamber. Just enough to gently fill the chamber side to side, but not to compress the cotton as once the cotton begins to saturate where the concentrate is, it can become hard to draw. I try to keep the concentrate situated near the mouthpiece end, away from the oven. I don't think I've ever come close to having any product touch the oven side. A very small amount goes a long way; but then I am a micro-doser and one load will get me through at least a few days of occasional rips.

Presently I am really enjoying an industrial hemp-derived CBD crumble that I stumbled upon at a local Canna-farmers market. Wonderful, relaxing stuff!

In my SS hopper I keep to flower; and wig the FF2 (to stay on topic) I've been switching between flower and concentrate. I am pretty sure that the FF is best suited (for me) for single hits of flower, at home. Despite the convenience of the on demand quick heat up time, I find the unit a little fragile and kind of cumbersome to hit while out and about and on the go. That said, oh the flavour!

And a question for FF2 users, can I actually access the underside of the screen to poke the holes clean from below??

Bamafan86 and biohacker like this.
  13. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Yes you can ... you just have to take the whole thing apart and then it's pretty simple as the whole screen comes out! It's all just torx screws and there aren't too many ... there is a walk though of it by someone on youtube (
    Click to play YouTube Video
    )

He says not to do it maybe because he cracked it, however, he put a piece in backwards ... as long as you don't do that no risk of breaking anything I wouldn't imagine ... it's all very well built, and nothing seemed fragile during disassembly and re-assembly.

Edit: he doesn't actually take the screen out, but gets to the point where you just push the whole bowl out from the top and the glass piece and everything will come out and you can clean everything thoroughly with 99% ISO.

mixchu69 likes this.
  14. PlumiconTube

PlumiconTube New Member

Is anyone as disappointed in the FF2 as I am?
    It is a lot like an iPhone- it looks cool, feels cool, has cool features but sucks at what it is designed for.
    It vapes flower poorly. Don't grind it?? Different density buds burn at significantly different temps. I put 2 ounces of various strains thru it. Maybe got 10 good tasty hits. If you have a lot of weed to waste then this is the product for you! The best of the rest would burn the bud on the bottom while leaving the top untouched. Oh yeah- stirring really helps. Not.
    The fact you have to connect it to your iPhone every time you want to start a new session is maddening.
    It is hard to draw.
    it is not really portable.
    Battery life is mediocre.
    It is a bit better with concentrates except who wants to pay $320 to do that. It gets really gooey too.
    Customer service is a joke. They only take returns that are less than 7 days old, un opened and un used with a 20% restock fee.
    To me this feels like a company that doesn't respect the herb, doesn't care about their customers or dealers, and is just wanting to cash in on the gold rush of legal bud.
    I do not recommend this at all.

15. mixchu69

mixchu69 Well-Known Member

I just want them to start discounting some of their accessories like the lid cover and external battery charger

JCat and Bamafan86 like this.
  16. kirk

kirk Well-Known Member

I love the FF2 perhaps you got a defective unit does happen

Its great vaping flower...with a rough grind (santacruz shredder) and incredibly flavorful

Stirring is mandatory for evenly baked herb

The draw could be a bit easier but if your having problems perhaps the holes in the oven are clogged (possible if you use concentrate and don’t clean it regularly….or perhaps you have little lung power due to inactivity or smoking too much...

It is portable but less so than others but I mostly vape at home….

I find the battery life to be very good for my usage… maybe 3 bowls a day

I don’t use concentrates so I can’t comment

I find it highly efficient and easy to clean

I would definitely recommend (as many, many others have stated) especially if you vape mostly solo…. Not the best for sharing perhaps

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
    JCat, mixchu69 and Bamafan86 like this.
  17. yaro

yaro New Member

Hi there!
    I've lost my changer, just wondering what are other alternatives to buy the original one at vaposhop.com(i'm in Europe).
    Thnx

Bamafan86 likes this.
  18. Marley420

Marley420 Member

How is the smell of your ff2? I took 2 good hits in my room, went outside then went back inside and didn't smell anything. Very stealthy vape!

Yes head up to the new users, never put alcohol on the rubber part of the lid!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  19. PlumiconTube

PlumiconTube New Member

Hey Kirk- thanks for the input. I have been in touch with FireFly, they told me that the unit was working "as intended".
    Have you found that different strains burn at different temps? I noticed that dense flower doesn't work as well as looser and more leafy buds. How about fresh buds vs drier buds?

Is there a way to post photos? I would like to show you a few that I sent to FF. Thanks

20. buckhakeesah

Least smelly in my bunch of gadgets. Just dont open the lid ;)

kcmochris and Bamafan86 like this.
  21. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Member

I've had my FF2 for more than a year and used it daily, actually mostly nightly, for much of that time. But the airflow seems to be more and more restricted. I have to draw really really hard to get a good hit now. How can I restore the airflow to original standard? Do I need to disassemble and clean and poke each hole with a needle? Or can I send it to Firefly for rejuvenation?

I got a lot of very good use out of my FF2 and when I clean it up it still looks like new. And amazingly every time I clean it, I absolutely clean the gasket with iso. In spite of biweekly 91% iso drenchings for more than a year, the original gasket looks as new as the day it arrived.

Six weeks ago I got myself a Crafty. The airflow is so easy, it feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the FF2. On the other hand, the fabulous Crafty hits require a two minute wait for it to heat up...I miss instant hits like from the FF2. With the Crafty I use the dosing capsules and never have to stir. The need to stir the FF2 at least once or twice every bowl is messy, requires leaving stirring tools and brushes around, and next to the poor draw, is the biggest irritation with the FF2 for me.

OldNewbie and Bamafan86 like this.
  22. Bamafan86

You can look to see if the screen in the chamber or in the mouth piece is clogged! If they are it would drastically reduce the air flow and the ff2 from what I've read from other members.

What I've been doing instead of starting. I just tap the unit on each side against my palm to try to mix the herb around. Stirring is definitely better but it does work out when I'm being lazy or in a pinch.

Hope you can figure it out the ff2 is a amazing vaporizer!

MonsterWithoutBorders likes this.
  23. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I would just go ahead and disassemble and thoroughly clean (see my post above where I link a youtube video where someone demonstrates partially ...) I would of course clean the mouthpiece screen first if you haven't done that (but am assuming you have). Difference will be night and day on airflow once cleaned properly ... took me <1/2 an hour to take apart, clean, and re-assemble; like factory new after that!

Bamafan86 likes this.
  24. buckhakeesah

Look out for the BOGO deals when they offer it. Landed battery packs and lids during those sales.

Bamafan86 and mixchu69 like this.
  25. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

This just isn't accurate. At all. You can use the FF without the app. You don't even have to leave it on the last heat setting....you can change settings, now, finally, on the device itself.

Seriously? I guess I gotta disagree. I have no trouble taking this wherever I go, whenever I want. Fits in my pocket, fits in my hand.....pretty much the textbook definition of "portable".

Opinions can certainly vary, and not everyone loves the FF. But your characterization of the company (people whom I actually know, btw), is way off base and kind of nasty. They are super-respectful of "herb" and their customers. They may have developed a boutique device that isn't to everyone's tastes, but they didn't do it trying to cash in on any legal gold rush. In fact they were developing the original FF like five years ago, before any state legalized rec weed.

They definitely wanna make money. But they aren't mercenary about it.:2c:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors