1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1968

"To me this feels like a company that doesn't respect the herb, doesn't care about their customers or dealers, and is just wanting to cash in on the gold rush of legal bud.
    I do not recommend this at all." PlumiconTube

As you can see from my own comments above, as an early adopter of the FF2, I've grown disillusioned with that vaporizer. Nonetheless, as owner of a FF2 for more than a year of regular use I think you miss the mark by a mile in your cynicism. The FF2 can give more herb flavor than any vape I've ever used--and I own a few and have used many. It also provides the coolest vapor with its long broad cool condensing surfaces. It is quite exquisitely made. I look at mine after more than a year of near daily use, and other than a few scratches on the bottom cover and a small brown stain on the screen, its still a jewel. Nothing plasticy. Very easy to clean and simply pop batteries in and out. I was really frustrated when I first got mine, direct from FF, and I couldn't get a decent draw. Called CS and they two-day shipped me a new cover, which with app updates solved my initial problems. But the thing is really inconsistent, cooks hotspots meaning too much stirring, and increasingly hard to draw. Again, this is subjecting the thing to daily use.

I've been following the updates and discussion at vapecritic's forum re: the Ghost MV1. Same kind of issues with another fantastic looking device. And it will be months before any long-term problem areas emerge. Look what happened to Vivant with their Alternate. The vaporizer world remains imperfect but it's quickly evolving to be more and more convenient and efficient. We still don't seem to get good facts on safety because other than S-B, none of other vapes are tested for medical purposes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    OldNewbie, JCat and biohacker like this.
  2. Pimpslapper

Pimpslapper Well-Known Member

This post reeks of competition trying to sully the ff2.
    This guy obviously never had one in his hand.
    10 tasty hits off 2 ounces!!?? I get that off half a gram at most.
    App is needed to update firmware and then I set my temp and never use it anymore.
    Battery is ok
    Yes you have to stir and I use my finger. It takes ten seconds and the bud is dry after a couple hits,so no mess.
    This guy missed the mark on all counts.
    This is just a fake post imo.

JCat and MonsterWithoutBorders like this.
  3. Greenout

Greenout New Member

Hello all, long time lurker and vaper here and wanted to share my experience with the ff2 after the comment I read a few posts back. I have had my ff2 for well over a year now and love it. My buttons became more and more unresponsive over time (left side first) until it was unusable.I called ff cs explained the situation to them and sent it in for service.I had my new one with my color of choice in about a week or so.The new unit works flawlessly.I agree the draw is restricted but when kept clean and proper technique it's not that bad at all. With flower it's a great device for personal use. With concentrates it really shines and is ok with 2 people but still better suited for 1 imho. I use it mostly for a few rips here and there it's not really a session vape. But imho it's a amazing dual purpose device with decent battery life. Out of my collection of vapes this is one I wouldn't sell. My vapman is my other.

4. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

I respectfully disagree.... a member stated their opinions that a vape isn't for them. They didn't like it and explained reasons why. I respect this members open style of telling it like it is, as one sided as it is... I want to know everything good AND bad before I plop down my $300.

Maybe it's just the way I perceived it but what I assume this member is stating is that he has put 2oz through his FF2, however only has experienced 10 really tasty hits. Sounds like a technique thing to me, but I have seen videos of quite uneven ABV that would surely taste like crap. But with the right heat and technique, my impression is that it would be difficult to find a better tasting portable?

I've seen plenty of mess in videos! But again, probably technique with overfilled bowls... I was just thinking of Vapefiend UK with his video review. It falls outside of the bowl but probably easy to sweep into the bowl?

I'm SO undecided on this one still! Wouldn't use it for herb, just concentrates... I didn't know that the FF concentrate pads were superior to the S&B ones? Much tighter mesh/better quality.

I still worry about that airflow, but with concentrates I think I could handle it.

Irish vaper, OldNewbie, JCat and 3 others like this.
  5. flipjoe

flipjoe Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my firefly 1 & 2 are my vapes with the most flavor and i have the ff2 since it was released. I also have a mighty which i use most of the time. It's always nice to come back to the firefly because of the excellent taste. But recently i noticed that the fireflies don't get me very high compared to the mighty. I tried to vape on higher temperatures with the ff to match the high of the mighty without success.

Mighty owners:
    Did you experience the same?

Ff owners:
    What's your favorite temp to get really baked with the ff2 ? I'm on 111% and 380 f right now.

Bamafan86 likes this.
  6. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

Just IMO, but the FF2 is full convection vs the Mighty's hybrid heating technology of convection+conduction. This could account for the change in vape signature and perception of effects. I went through exactly this when I used my flowerpot exclusively for a month and then switched to a hybrid vape. Just another reason why so many vape enthusiasts own multiple vapes. :2c:

Modicum, JCat, Bamafan86 and 2 others like this.
  7. flipjoe

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, i guess that's it. The convection effect just feels a bit different. But since some here say the ff2 really gets them ripped i thought i might ask how it compares to other vapes in their opinion. Right now i'm testing higher temps and longer hits with the ff. Have to experiment a bit more. :)

8. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Every vape has its own “signature”. I get different effects from different devices. And yes, the Mighty is usually a faster, more intense high than the FFs. Usually. :2c:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Modicum, JCat, flipjoe and 2 others like this.
  9. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

That will make a big difference, temp is important. Grind consistency can vary your sig as well! IMO, convection tends to feel more cerebral and conduction or hybrid more of a couch lock/body high feeling.

Modicum, JCat, flipjoe and 2 others like this.
  10. flipjoe

Thanks guys!
    I guess i'd like to have the effect of the mighty with the taste of the firefly and the stealth factor of the grasshopper. :)

JCat, biohacker and Jill NYC like this.
  11. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

Welcome to the search for the elusive unicorn! ;) Enjoy your VAS journey! :tup:

Boden, JCat, flipjoe and 1 other person like this.
  12. Isseyphresh

Isseyphresh New Member

I've owned my ff2 for a week now, and I must say this is one bad a$$ portable vape! I ordered the jet black version due to something someone said in the forums about it being different , and somehow better. Well let me tell ya I set my temp at 360° f and calibration to 101% and boy this thing rips! Consistent clouds and some of the tastiest vapor I've ever had. My first portable vape and man am I glad I sprung for this puppy. Best in class for sure, especially if u like to toke on demand and want the best taste. Oh yeah one last thing I wanna add. If you keep smoking bowl after bowl u will be BLASTED BEYOND BELIEF. The heady high is wicked from this thing.✌

NYC_Frank, JCat, Bamafan86 and 3 others like this.
  13. biohacker

biohacker fully melted

Just found that in the comments section!

Click to play YouTube Video

14. Isseyphresh

Isseyphresh New Member

Yes... it was here where I read it! Lol

biohacker likes this.
  15. dodgy_b

dodgy_b Well-Known Member

Mostly happy owner of a FF2 for the last 5 months. Love the quality of vapor, some quirks with my unit though. I sometimes need to reset the battery for it to work. Guessing this is normal.

Last night:

- Freshly charged battery. Got 2 or 3 good pulls at 380F. About 45 minutes later bumped it to 410. Tried to heat it up but it died after 2 blinks. Reset the battery. Same thing, wouldn't heat up.

Have my 2nd battery charging now to test later tonight. Does this sound like a battery issue to those who've had this device longer than I have? I'll play around with it tonight of course but preemptively seeing if this sounds like an eventual RMA issue. Thanks!

16. Polarbearboy

Yup, I have to pull out and then reinsert my batteries quite often. Had my FF2 for over a year, used nearly daily. Happens more with the older batteries. So weird to see it say that the battery is dead and then get sometimes two full bowls after reinserting. Quirky is the right word. I have the relatively inexpensive FF2 external battery charger and always have a spare fully charged as a standby.

flipjoe, OldNewbie and mitchgo61 like this.
  17. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Yes, this is a known and much-discussed bug. A small number of units do this....a fully charged battery, left idle in the FF for an hour or longer, will sometimes throw a false red light and fail to heat up. I keep battery 2 perpetually charged, and I always start a session with a freshly charged battery.

It’s not clear to me that FF have ever even reproduced this bug, let alone solved it. You can do an RMA but short of a replacement (which still has some small chance of exhibiting the same behavior) you are unlikely to get it fixed.

18. Polarbearboy

Does anyone know if there is reasonably simple way to clean the screen at the bottom of the oven other than a disassembling my FF2? I've had mine for a year and a half, used it daily or nightly for most of that time, so its had heavy use. Now the air draw resistance is limiting my enjoyment. Having watched the disassembly utube, partially clogged holes seem like the only possible culprit. Suggestions? Or does Firefly have a program to restore old or clogged FF2s?

JCat, OldNewbie and dodgy_b like this.
  19. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

At times, I have what seems a fully-charged battery but the vape does not light up at all. (Not even red.) If I pull and reinsert the battery, everything is fine and you can have a full session.

flipjoe, JCat and dodgy_b like this.
  20. Pimpslapper

Pimpslapper Well-Known Member

Mine will go solid green and then when I start to pull start blinking red,but only randomly and after a day or two without use.
    After around four times reheating it works usually. I think it hates the cold.

If not i change battery. Always fully charged spare in the bag.
    Random.
    Not every time but annoying.
    Still love the mother fucker though.
    Wouldn't want to go a day without it.
    +1 on the external charger.

21. Polarbearboy

Below is my email to Firefly regarding the air restriction/clogged bottom screen. This after watching the disassembly utube and trying to use a needle to clean the tiny holes. My old eyes and shaky hands won't be poking a tiny needle into those tiny holes.:

"My FF2, purchased direct from you more than a year ago and used almost daily, has developed way too much draw resistance. Is there a way to clean the screen? Do you have a way to clean or replace the screen? I understand that this later would not be under warranty. I enjoyed my FF2 but now it is nearly unusable. I'd like to keep using it as its a lovely device. Thanks for your help."

JCat likes this.
  22. Greenout

Greenout New Member

Hello, I usually use q-tips and heat mine up a little bit first. then i hold the ff2 upside down and swab out the screen (in a circular motion over all of the holes with a little pressure) while still being upside down a couple times with iso. then i wipe dry. I do the mouth piece and screen after as well in iso. then move to the lid and vapor path. after all that I go into a dark room and put it in concentrate mode. fire it up you should be able to see if any more holes are clogged when it glows. then I go back to swabbing the screen again if needed. one more thing too, when I dunk my q-tip in iso i give it a few shakes. you don't want it too saturated and get into the device.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Jill NYC likes this.
  23. peabreu

peabreu Member

Actualy if you put the unit below a led light, with the correct angle you cancheck if holes are cloghed or not, make the light hit the unit by the top holes where you can see the hoven.

24. Polarbearboy

Just got a reply from Firefly to my clogged screen email. That was quick!, less than three hours. Here's the core of what they said:

"please remove any material in the chamber and open your app. Boost your temperature to 500 degrees and activate the unit over and over until the LED turns solid red. Let the device cool down.

Try this 3-4 times. This is a burn off and any material in the restrictor plate should seep through. Worst case this doesn't help, our technicians can repair your device for $30 in Seattle and the turn around time is up to 14 business days."

Greenout: I've been doing a very similar procedure, but it hasn't helped--and I've done it half a dozen times recently. Now I will follow their instructions, running it through four or five high heat cycles. I'll let you know what happens.

25. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

You might turn the vape upside down and draw on it when heating. It might help bring out any residue.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors