1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Mars77

Mars77 New Member

Thanks mitchgo61. Will try to clear the holes with Iso and see if it's still dimmed.
    How's the mouthpiece on your device? Mine never stays plugged no matter how I insert it. I contacted Firefly support and they told me the mouthpiece is finicky and I should try to insert it sideways..I should get a replacement to see if it's the mouthpiece the cause ..(not acceptable on a $330 vape...)
    Apart from that, the FF2 delivers amazing flavor and vapor at any setting . I rate it above The Mighty...

2. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Mine is pretty stable. There's a very specific way it has to snap into its slot.....but once seated mine is solid. I have heard of folks who've had issues with theirs so you're not alone. Good luck....I'm sure they'll send you a replacement if yours is defective.

Xelatsok likes this.
  3. Mars77

Mars77 New Member

Thanks man. Will definitely contact them for a replacement.

mitchgo61 likes this.
  4. Modicum

Modicum Well-Known Member

@stickstones , hey just love the whole nugget thing with the ff2 but 1 thing, do you remove the the tiny screen in the mouthpiece or does it matter.

MonsterWithoutBorders likes this.
  5. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

I didn't. You will probably want it there once you crumble!

MonsterWithoutBorders likes this.
  6. Modicum

Modicum Well-Known Member

Gotcha , thanks

7. sag

sag Well-Known Member

I also have been using my unit as a daily driver and have had nothing but positive results. The only thing that I consider a downside is the battery life. After 9 months use, my batteries started to not hold a charge. The cost of 2 batteries is ridiculous for 9 months of service and you definitely need 2 batteries for this thing to leave you half high and dry. Love the vape but the battery dilemma has turned me off.

toked23 likes this.
  8. Kirudub

Kirudub New Member

To those who might want to micro-dose using your FF2... the cap of a Storz & Bickel dosing capsule fits into the FF2 chamber perfectly, and is fairly durable if you're careful.

Mad_Max likes this.
  9. Mars77

Mars77 New Member

I found out that using capsules with the FF2 kinda spoils the taste as there's conduction..the vape was intended for full convection.Till now haven't found a better tasting vape..and it creates super smooth vapor ...Can't wait to try the Ghost Mv1 which is a full convection unit.

Gregori likes this.
  10. Vapologist

Vapologist City Flag of Amsterdamaged

My FF1 is still my go-to portable concentrate unit as crazy as that might sound. It takes a couple lungfulls of air before it gets going...but omg when it gets going...WHAM such crazy thick clouds. Messy, but I can live with it. I assume nothing has changed on the Firefly 2, as its about time to get an upgrade. For owners of both, how much difference is there in the airflow? Negligible?

Edit: The Vape Gods are smiling upon me! VaporWorld has a deal on the FF2 with free pads jar and grinder: https://www.vapeworld.com/firefly-2-vaporizer/ I wish that Zebra was real wood!

11. Kirudub

Kirudub New Member

^^

I was talking about using only the cap of one of the S&B dosing capsules. the perforated metal acts as a spacer so smaller amounts don't fly around in the blow.

Mad_Max likes this.
  12. rotero

rotero Member

Gonna throw in my 2 cents.

I think the Firefly 2 is fine. I had to send in my original unit for service after only a month, which was frustrating. I was eventually sent a brand new unit. I can say that the second unit has a more open draw than the first, and is generally easier to pull on. Why? I have no idea. But it's true. It makes me wonder if there are these same eccentricities among all the units.

The major downsides have been addressed, but I didn't realize how big they were until I owned the unit. The battery life is abysmal and the unit gives incorrect information on the battery charge. It will say it's halfway charged and then die on the next draw. The requirement to stir after every hit or two is cumbersome. It is hard not to spill material, and it's a tedious chore. Finally, the requirement of a "coarse" grind means that I cannot utilize my grinder (and therefore miss out on some of the golden goodies at the bottom). Finally, the holes are easy to clog (even with hand torn material) and are hard to clean. The learning curve is real.

In all, I like to use it solo. Great flavor and a pleasant experience. Terrible for groups and newbies, or for someone who wants something that "just works".

For comparison, I've had a SSV for a few years. It's a champion hitter. It fills a similar role as the FF2. On-demand, but much harder hitting. I just added a Solo II to my collection for sessions and friends. I think all three provide different utility for different circumstances.

In short, I think that the FF2 is about $100 overpriced - possibly more. If it were my only vape I would feel the need to fill in the gaps where the FF2 underperforms. But for solo use where flavor and smoothness are king, it can't be beat.

Mad_Max and mitchgo61 like this.
  13. Mars77

Mars77 New Member

Sorry Kirudub, I didn't realize you meant the cap. My bad.. Using the cap is less troublesome than a sceen. It's a good idea.

14. Paka-cholo

Paka-cholo Flaccid Member

Ive used the concentrate pads in mine. Despite burning them off on the concentrate setting for a good 10 heat ups I can still taste the SS pad. It is getting less intense but man I hate this. Is there any trick to getting rid of that taste or a different insert for concentrates? Im just using ABV right now and its 100 times better as far as taste. Im wasting lots of concentrate though doing this.

15. Vambo1980

Vambo1980 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I always burn new pads off before use with a torch. They always have a horrible machine oil taste with out it.

I then ISO wash used pads in warm ISO and let dry and then burn off again.
    You can still taste a little funk on the first couple of hits of a cleaned used pad but it much better than without doing it imo.

Mad_Max and Paka-cholo like this.
  16. Paka-cholo

Paka-cholo Flaccid Member

@Vambo1980

Ok thank you vambo I'll try it out!

17. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. Got mine about 4 days ago - Zebra Wood. With all the other inconveniences you mentioned, mine is just too frickin' hard to draw. It's too silly and even uncomfortable, even getting a little sore in places I never felt before.

I've been using the MFLB primarily, with a 1ft whip. You can work that thing like you're playing an musical instrument! but a hell of a lot of variables. Stinks bad - can't clean the inside. I have the Vapir Prima, which is very nice, also with a whip if at home. G-Pen Elite ain't getting much use, but handy if needed. Could put a whip on it.

Given the seemingly universal euphoria over this device, I've started out with expectations dashed. I'll give it time to see what happens though.

They should've included the external charger for sure. Not practical. It's a little bit of form (looking cool and to convince you it's worth all the cha-ching...) getting too far ahead of function.

I definitely have had to be a lot more harsh with that dang mouthpiece than it seems like you should. Luckily just blowing in it with the lid off pretty much takes care of it.

18. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Nice idea! I've been using simple cheap brass screens. Also, helps with using finely grounded herb which will come flying out of the chamber otherwise.

19. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

You've probably tried everything, but just in case, make sure your mouthpiece is clear of debris (take it off, brush out the slot and the inside of the mouthpiece). You can also try removing the small screen inside the mouthpiece, but draw carefully, and don't lose the screen. :p

Interesting observation....I've always found the FF much easier to use than the MFLB, which for me was great in 2011, but in subsequent years has seemed almost pre-historic. :2c:

20. Godspeed

Godspeed Active Member

I have been using the Firefly2 for seven months and the only way I will use it is with a concentration pad placed over the flower. It helps with even vaporization and keeps the vapor path to the mouthpiece considerably cleaner. I only have to stir once and it is all evenly brown on Medium High.

Not using the concentration pad makes a mess of the unit for me.

Mad_Max and Jill NYC like this.
  21. CbdLife

CbdLife Member

I also put a concentrate pad on top of my flower.
    It made all the difference to me

22. Aner

Aner Well-Known Member

I would be interested in knowing the resolution of the chemical smells that you experienced. I have had a horrible time with portable vapes in this regard (not so the Vapor Bros box unit).

23. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

I just blow in the mouthpiece with the lid off every time I stir and after finished. Done!

I'm quickly finding the 'Zone' ;) with this and getting great and surprising results from even very small amounts! I haven't experienced Convection before. The Prima is part convection and part bowl of brass conduction and it really works well and doesn't smell at all. But the FF2 is another level of quality, despite all it's idiosyncrasies. I can't believe the experience of the oil vape in my mouth you can still taste for quite awhile after finishing - wild!

Yeah, using the brass screens makes it easy to use even with small amounts of finely ground herb, but I'm gonna try that one next.

24. Silveradio

Silveradio Member

I do this all the time also. But occasionally I do take off the mouthpiece just to check it out and surprisingly the screen does need some cleaning even though the draw seems ok

Modnote: Edited to remove reply from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
    Mad_Max likes this.
  25. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Oh man! You are sooo right!! It was pretty jacked up after all. Crikey!

That oil turns gummy all down the vapor path. I put the brush in that crevasse with the screen a couple of times but in fact it had gummed up with small particles from the bowl when I wasn't using my screens. It totally draws better now.

[​IMG]

kcmochris likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors