• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirudub

^^

I was talking about using only the cap of one of the S&B dosing capsules. the perforated metal acts as a spacer so smaller amounts don't fly around in the blow.

Kirudub,
Reactions: Mad_Max

rotero

Gonna throw in my 2 cents.

I think the Firefly 2 is fine. I had to send in my original unit for service after only a month, which was frustrating. I was eventually sent a brand new unit. I can say that the second unit has a more open draw than the first, and is generally easier to pull on. Why? I have no idea. But it's true. It makes me wonder if there are these same eccentricities among all the units.

The major downsides have been addressed, but I didn't realize how big they were until I owned the unit. The battery life is abysmal and the unit gives incorrect information on the battery charge. It will say it's halfway charged and then die on the next draw. The requirement to stir after every hit or two is cumbersome. It is hard not to spill material, and it's a tedious chore. Finally, the requirement of a "coarse" grind means that I cannot utilize my grinder (and therefore miss out on some of the golden goodies at the bottom). Finally, the holes are easy to clog (even with hand torn material) and are hard to clean. The learning curve is real.

In all, I like to use it solo. Great flavor and a pleasant experience. Terrible for groups and newbies, or for someone who wants something that "just works".

For comparison, I've had a SSV for a few years. It's a champion hitter. It fills a similar role as the FF2. On-demand, but much harder hitting. I just added a Solo II to my collection for sessions and friends. I think all three provide different utility for different circumstances.

In short, I think that the FF2 is about $100 overpriced - possibly more. If it were my only vape I would feel the need to fill in the gaps where the FF2 underperforms. But for solo use where flavor and smoothness are king, it can't be beat.

Mars77

Sorry Kirudub, I didn't realize you meant the cap. My bad.. Using the cap is less troublesome than a sceen. It's a good idea.

Mars77,

Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
Ive used the concentrate pads in mine. Despite burning them off on the concentrate setting for a good 10 heat ups I can still taste the SS pad. It is getting less intense but man I hate this. Is there any trick to getting rid of that taste or a different insert for concentrates? Im just using ABV right now and its 100 times better as far as taste. Im wasting lots of concentrate though doing this.

Paka-cholo,

Vambo1980

Ive used the concentrate pads in mine. Despite burning them off on the concentrate setting for a good 10 heat ups I can still taste the SS pad. It is getting less intense but man I hate this. Is there any trick to getting rid of that taste or a different insert for concentrates? Im just using ABV right now and its 100 times better as far as taste. Im wasting lots of concentrate though doing this.

Hi,
I always burn new pads off before use with a torch. They always have a horrible machine oil taste with out it.

I then ISO wash used pads in warm ISO and let dry and then burn off again.
You can still taste a little funk on the first couple of hits of a cleaned used pad but it much better than without doing it imo.

Mad_Max

Gonna throw in my 2 cents.

I think the Firefly 2 is fine. I had to send in my original unit for service after only a month, which was frustrating. I was eventually sent a brand new unit. I can say that the second unit has a more open draw than the first, and is generally easier to pull on. Why? I have no idea. But it's true. It makes me wonder if there are these same eccentricities among all the units.

The major downsides have been addressed, but I didn't realize how big they were until I owned the unit. The battery life is abysmal and the unit gives incorrect information on the battery charge. It will say it's halfway charged and then die on the next draw. The requirement to stir after every hit or two is cumbersome. It is hard not to spill material, and it's a tedious chore. Finally, the requirement of a "coarse" grind means that I cannot utilize my grinder (and therefore miss out on some of the golden goodies at the bottom). Finally, the holes are easy to clog (even with hand torn material) and are hard to clean. The learning curve is real.

In all, I like to use it solo. Great flavor and a pleasant experience. Terrible for groups and newbies, or for someone who wants something that "just works".

For comparison, I've had a SSV for a few years. It's a champion hitter. It fills a similar role as the FF2. On-demand, but much harder hitting. I just added a Solo II to my collection for sessions and friends. I think all three provide different utility for different circumstances.

In short, I think that the FF2 is about $100 overpriced - possibly more. If it were my only vape I would feel the need to fill in the gaps where the FF2 underperforms. But for solo use where flavor and smoothness are king, it can't be beat.

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. Got mine about 4 days ago - Zebra Wood. With all the other inconveniences you mentioned, mine is just too frickin' hard to draw. It's too silly and even uncomfortable, even getting a little sore in places I never felt before.

I've been using the MFLB primarily, with a 1ft whip. You can work that thing like you're playing an musical instrument! but a hell of a lot of variables. Stinks bad - can't clean the inside. I have the Vapir Prima, which is very nice, also with a whip if at home. G-Pen Elite ain't getting much use, but handy if needed. Could put a whip on it.

Given the seemingly universal euphoria over this device, I've started out with expectations dashed. I'll give it time to see what happens though.

I also have been using my unit as a daily driver and have had nothing but positive results. The only thing that I consider a downside is the battery life. After 9 months use, my batteries started to not hold a charge. The cost of 2 batteries is ridiculous for 9 months of service and you definitely need 2 batteries for this thing to leave you half high and dry. Love the vape but the battery dilemma has turned me off.

They should've included the external charger for sure. Not practical. It's a little bit of form (looking cool and to convince you it's worth all the cha-ching...) getting too far ahead of function.

Thanks man. Will definitely contact them for a replacement.
I definitely have had to be a lot more harsh with that dang mouthpiece than it seems like you should. Luckily just blowing in it with the lid off pretty much takes care of it.

Mad_Max,

Mad_Max

To those who might want to micro-dose using your FF2... the cap of a Storz & Bickel dosing capsule fits into the FF2 chamber perfectly, and is fairly durable if you're careful.
Nice idea! I've been using simple cheap brass screens. Also, helps with using finely grounded herb which will come flying out of the chamber otherwise.

Mad_Max,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. Got mine about 4 days ago - Zebra Wood. With all the other inconveniences you mentioned, mine is just too frickin' hard to draw. It's too silly and even uncomfortable, even getting a little sore in places I never felt before.

I've been using the MFLB primarily, with a 1ft whip. You can work that thing like you're playing an musical instrument! but a hell of a lot of variables. Stinks bad - can't clean the inside. I have the Vapir Prima, which is very nice, also with a whip if at home. G-Pen Elite ain't getting much use, but handy if needed. Could put a whip on it.
You've probably tried everything, but just in case, make sure your mouthpiece is clear of debris (take it off, brush out the slot and the inside of the mouthpiece). You can also try removing the small screen inside the mouthpiece, but draw carefully, and don't lose the screen. :p

Interesting observation....I've always found the FF much easier to use than the MFLB, which for me was great in 2011, but in subsequent years has seemed almost pre-historic. :2c:

mitchgo61,

Godspeed

I'm struggling a little with my FF2. I'm generally very impressed with it, but no matter how tightly or loosely I pack the bowl, and no matter how hard or soft I draw, the herb doesn't heat at all evenly in the bowl.

There is always an area at the bottom of the load, just off centre, which is thoroughly heated to dark brown - almost black - after one draw. The rest is barely toasted at all.

I'm set on Medium-high, and tried tuning the power down a couple of %, but nothing changed.

All of the air holes are clear and show light when heated, and the mouth screen is clear as well.

I have to stir every single hit to get good extraction out of the bowl. I know that stirring is required with this device, but is there something I can try to get more even heating in the bowl?

I have been using the Firefly2 for seven months and the only way I will use it is with a concentration pad placed over the flower. It helps with even vaporization and keeps the vapor path to the mouthpiece considerably cleaner. I only have to stir once and it is all evenly brown on Medium High.

Not using the concentration pad makes a mess of the unit for me.

Aner

There were several other users in this forum, a very tiny minority, who complained about the FF2 chemical taste. Despite that, I decided I had to see for myself because the potential upsides of the FF2 were too good to ignore.

Now, this community has yet another data point confirming this taste/smell.

I would be interested in knowing the resolution of the chemical smells that you experienced. I have had a horrible time with portable vapes in this regard (not so the Vapor Bros box unit).

Aner,

Mad_Max

You've probably tried everything, but just in case, make sure your mouthpiece is clear of debris (take it off, brush out the slot and the inside of the mouthpiece). You can also try removing the small screen inside the mouthpiece, but draw carefully, and don't lose the screen. :p

Interesting observation....I've always found the FF much easier to use than the MFLB, which for me was great in 2011, but in subsequent years has seemed almost pre-historic. :2c:

I just blow in the mouthpiece with the lid off every time I stir and after finished. Done!

I'm quickly finding the 'Zone' ;) with this and getting great and surprising results from even very small amounts! I haven't experienced Convection before. The Prima is part convection and part bowl of brass conduction and it really works well and doesn't smell at all. But the FF2 is another level of quality, despite all it's idiosyncrasies. I can't believe the experience of the oil vape in my mouth you can still taste for quite awhile after finishing - wild!

I have been using the Firefly2 for seven months and the only way I will use it is with a concentration pad placed over the flower. It helps with even vaporization and keeps the vapor path to the mouthpiece considerably cleaner. I only have to stir once and it is all evenly brown on Medium High.

Not using the concentration pad makes a mess of the unit for me.

I also put a concentrate pad on top of my flower.
It made all the difference to me
Yeah, using the brass screens makes it easy to use even with small amounts of finely ground herb, but I'm gonna try that one next.

Mad_Max,

Silveradio

I just blow in the mouthpiece with the lid off every time I stir and after finished. Done!
I do this all the time also. But occasionally I do take off the mouthpiece just to check it out and surprisingly the screen does need some cleaning even though the draw seems ok

Modnote: Edited to remove reply from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Silveradio,
Reactions: Mad_Max

Mad_Max

I do this all the time also. But occasionally I do take off the mouthpiece just to check it out and surprisingly the screen does need some cleaning even though the draw seems ok
Oh man! You are sooo right!! It was pretty jacked up after all. Crikey!

That oil turns gummy all down the vapor path. I put the brush in that crevasse with the screen a couple of times but in fact it had gummed up with small particles from the bowl when I wasn't using my screens. It totally draws better now.

26463.jpg

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Hi I have heard that the original firefly has a much better air path, with much less restriction. I've also heard the contrary. Can somebody please confirm?

PhreedomPhries,

toked23

Had this ff2 for about a year, love it, never had any issues and does the job easily for me every time. What I have noticed is and I clean every single time I'm change a load I that I can't seem to get rid of the little bit of burnt popcorn residual smell. I've cleaned it a million times and it looks fantastic but can't seem to figure out where this slight popcorn smell is coming from. I may just replace the lid and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? @mitchgo61

mitchgo61

Had this ff2 for about a year, love it, never had any issues and does the job easily for me every time. What I have noticed is and I clean every single time I'm change a load I that I can't seem to get rid of the little bit of burnt popcorn residual smell. I've cleaned it a million times and it looks fantastic but can't seem to figure out where this slight popcorn smell is coming from. I may just replace the lid and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? @mitchgo61
Hmmm....not really sure where the problem would be. While I can't claim to get it completely odor-free, you should be able to eliminate any really noticeable weed odor via a good iso wipe of the bowl, including the restrictor plate, the main steel plate, and the lid. Make sure you get the seal on the lid wiped off really well with iso, though be careful not to soak it or get it too wet.

Also try removing the mouthpiece and giving it an iso rinse, making sure you also clean out the slot it snaps into (lots of stuff collects in there). Good luck!

toked23

Hmmm....not really sure where the problem would be. While I can't claim to get it completely odor-free, you should be able to eliminate any really noticeable weed odor via a good iso wipe of the bowl, including the restrictor plate, the main steel plate, and the lid. Make sure you get the seal on the lid wiped off really well with iso, though be careful not to soak it or get it too wet.

Also try removing the mouthpiece and giving it an iso rinse, making sure you also clean out the slot it snaps into (lots of stuff collects in there). Good luck!

I soaked the mouthpiece and that did help. The ISO may be part of the smell as well, which I'm not a fan of. Anyone know of anything that may also do a good job, maybe organic even? Just curious. It's not that it's terrible, but I just would love for it to me as minimal as humanly possible. I'm a taste/flavor freak I guess

Again, if I have it in my pocket, no one will smell it, but if I put it up to my face or close I can smell it easily.

mitchgo61

I soaked the mouthpiece and that did help. The ISO may be part of the smell as well, which I'm not a fan of. Anyone know of anything that may also do a good job, maybe organic even? Just curious.
You can try Everclear 151 (or 190 if it's legal in your state). Works nearly as well as ISO as a solvent and has less of a hospital-ish smell. (And more of a "serious drinking problem" odor. :lol:)

fogbank

I am now getting better results with a slightly less-than-full bowl, not packed.

I had an unusual experience lately that changed my FF2 habits.

I have two units. I had been running both at High with temp boost between 5-7%. I was fairly satisfied with the results, but never amazed. A few months ago I broke out a strain that had been in storage for about 3 years. I always use a medium to fine grind, so I ground some up and filled a bowl. Within a few hits I experienced combustion. This was not the first time it's happened - I've experienced combustion occasionally with both units, but occurrences have been few and far between. So I cleaned the unit thoroughly and let it air out for a while, to get rid of that horrible combustion odor. A few days later I filled another bowl and experienced combustion again. I really thought there was something wrong with the unit, but I cleaned it up and let it air out again.

The next time I filled a bowl with this strain I decided to lower the temp to medium-high with no temp boost. I could tell I was getting a ton of vapor on the first hit, and could sense impending combustion before the end of my draw, so I cut the draw short. Luckily I avoided combustion. After that I decided to lower the temp to medium. Since then I've been running this particular strain through the same FF2 unit, now on medium, and have been getting great results. I also changed my other unit to medium-high, and have been running different strains through it, also with great results.

I find it odd that I had been using the FF2 for over a year, and most of the time I had both of my units set on High with temp boost, and now I'm running one on medium and one on medium-high and I feel like I'm getting better results than before. I know that the strain can make a difference in how much vapor is produced, but I've run at least a dozen strains through them before (many also a few years old), and I never even considered using lower temps. I'm more satisfied with my both FF2 units than I have ever been before. As I mentioned at the top of my post, I am finding a slightly less than full bowl to be working even better for me than a full or packed bowl.

And for the record, the 3 year old strain has proven to be very potent.

kcmochris

Had my FF2 since April of last year, along with the two bricks they provide. One of my batteries has come slightly apart at the seam -- only on one side. Taping it down makes it flush : works on the charger, as well as in the unit.

Totally aware that using any batteries with the housing compromised is not advised and dangerous. Will def be buying a new brick or two.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience. I feel like the tab they provide to lift the brick out of the charging unit might have had something to do with it, as I could see pulling on the tab could also cause separation (housing is molded with two pieces, and the tab is obviously part of the top piece).

kcmochris,

Modicum

Hey @mitchgo61, starting to get the WoW factor in my FF2. A fully charged batt. in the unit, if not used for 36 hrs will lose about 20% power . None of my other
vapes lose that much when not in use. Do you have any tales to tell of what I may be doing wrong or it is what it is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom