1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Silveradio

Silveradio Member

If the device doesn't wake up with the buttons you may have to remove the battery from the FF2 and then reinsert it. I've had to do this more than once. I think this may be caused by leaving the Unit on the dock too long. Also another thing that's happened to me is after leaving it on the dock too long I'll pick it up not even touching the buttons and it will start to fire up on it's own. Kinda nuts at first but just removing the battery again resets it. Not a big deal for me just little quirks this thing has. I still love it though!!!

WarpaintFree likes this.
  2. almost there

almost there Well-Known Member

If you don't mind using a torch lighter then a vapcap will mostly cover those requirements. The only drawback is for the 5-10secs heatup you are pretty stationary unless it's a windless day. You can session with it but you'll just have to refill more often.

3. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Is a cake tester too thick?

4. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Great recap of all the ambiguous issues!

I would only add I personally get better results from a dense, very packed bowl. Other than that I think you covered all the exigencies.

5. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

I say go for it and let us know the results! Whenever the FF2 gets a lil clogged (checked via Concentrate mode in the dark), I use an air blower (manual, rocket kind) and the tip of a needle to clean each hole through which light doesn't shine. It works every time.

NYC_Frank and yogoshio like this.
  6. yogoshio

yogoshio Annoying Libertarian

I use fine grind and slightly overpack, letting the lid do some minor compressing. Other than that, you're good to go ;)

It works well for different people and different methods, but that's how I get my best results.

7. NYC_Frank

NYC_Frank Member

Will do and i'll report back ... Thanks much

ps ... Love my Firefly's and love this forum

mitchgo61 likes this.
  8. Zack de la Mota

Zack de la Mota New Member

Alright, so I figured out the concentrate as far as hash situation for the FF2. I have used different concentrates rosin, wax, and those work well. Putting this out there for this like me. Bubble hash won't work, I tried it and it won't melt into the pad. I'm thinking that full melt hash will work? Anyone out there know?

Also, after soaking the pads in alchohol, do you just let them dry and begin using them? Is any other step needed after the alcohol soak? Which brings me to the point, when do you decide to clean the pads? I was thinking, isn't the concentrate just coating the pad up over time, so it gets better and hits more?

9. mitchgo61

The ISO should all evaporate from the pads once they are fully dry. If you're concerned, you can rinse them with water afterwards and let them dry out one more time.

As for when to clean them...that's a personal decision. Even though residue of concentrates could add to the performance, it may be a push, as enough crap building up in the pad will cause airflow restriction beyond what's designed, which could be deleterious to performance. This is definitely a YMMV kind of situation. :2c:

10. toecutter

toecutter Active Member

So in working on a Firefly related art project, I took apart my lid. Low and behold, I think I found why I have been getting inconsistent results from air leakage.

It appears that when my lid was put together at the factory, the 4 rectangular magnets were all stacked on one side, rather than distributed two, per side. I think this was done because, otherwise as per the design the adhesive sheet between the lid body and plastic insert had nothing to attach to, unless the magnets were stacked 2 high. So in essence, only one side as being magnetized to the FF2!

Pardon the crappy pic.

[​IMG]

11. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

Picture can't be seen but I can def. see this causing inconsistency...

12. toecutter

toecutter Active Member

GAH! I seem incapable of posting images on forums.

Lemmie try again...

I should point out, that there do seem to be impressions on both sides. That is from me redistributing the magnets as a test, prior to taking this picture, where I put them back in their original spot.

[​IMG]

jay87 and Xelatsok like this.
  13. Xelatsok

Xelatsok vapes tobacco modding the vapes

It looks like there should be 4 magnets, not 2.

14. toecutter

toecutter Active Member

It's weird. There are indeed a total of 4. There are two sets of 2 stacks. Just only on one side.

15. Paka-cholo

Paka-cholo Flaccid Member

Hey everyone. So I have a tiny bit of flower left but a decent amount of kief out of my grinder. Should I use the concentrate pad and just put the kief on top? Would packing it on top of the flower be a better option? I tried searching but so many posts come up and I'm not having any luck.
    Thanks.

16. mitchgo61

If there's enough flower to cover the restrictor plate you really don't need the pad. Just don't put really fine kief directly on the plate as it could clog the holes. (If kief is all you have, I would put it on the pad directly, then give it a good pack down, so it doesn't fly around too much.)

Paka-cholo likes this.
  17. Paka-cholo

Paka-cholo Flaccid Member

Thank you Mitchgo61. Yeah I put some flower then kief then a bit more flower on top and it worked really well.

mitchgo61 likes this.
  18. WarpaintFree

WarpaintFree Well-Known Member

Well, so far my experience with FF2 is a total flop.

Firstly, the reliably inept employees lost my package for 4 days. It was finally found today.

I unboxed the device, put it on the charger, and installed the app on my phone.

When the charge was complete, I launched the app and connected to the device - no problem.

I was prompted to update the firmware, so I followed the steps to do so. A message displayed indicating the update was successful, and was reconnecting the device.

Now the device is totally bricked, in "OTA" mode I think. Solid blue light on the device, device not responding to buttons. Pulling the battery multiple times does nothing. Device not able to connect to app. Device is visible to my Bluetooth as FF2_OTA.

EDIT: The device is not visibly at all to either my iPad or laptop via BT.

I have deleted the app from my phone, restarted the phone and re-installed the app, all to enjoy no change in the status of this problem.

Wow... what a great experience so far. I'm on hold with FF customer service, but if anyone knows a way to force the device out of OTA mode, I'm all ears. I'm not happy... haven't even tried the unit and its factory app has bricked it.

EDIT: After over 30 minutes on hold with FF, I still haven't spoken to a human.

I'm out.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. WarpaintFree

FF CS called me back and confirmed that when this occurs, there is no solution. They suggested I send it back to them.

The retailer I bought it from is going to RMA it and refund the purchase price. I've ordered a replacement from them with express shipping. I doubt I'll get it before the long weekend, so my ex is lending me the Arizer Air I gave her in the mean time.

I'm still sold on the FF2 as a top shelf device, but what a big fat drag that the one I got bricked in the first 5 minutes.

Should I not upgrade the firmware on the replacement unit I ordered? Or should I try the upgrade/app interface from a different device? I used my phone this time - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I could try with my iPad next time?

I've only found a few posts about this problem on Reddit, here, elsewhere....

20. mitchgo61

Sorry to hear about that issue...I personally have only used ios devices to interact with the FF, so maybe using your ipad isn't a bad idea.

I don't think this bricking issue is particularly prevalent...I think I've read of two other cases. (Anecdotal to be sure, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.) Good luck with your replacement!

21. MonsterWithoutBorders

MonsterWithoutBorders Philosophim

If there is a capacitor u might need to leave the battery out for 12 hours(guess) for a total reset but by that time CS should have talked to u.

22. scouse

scouse Member

Well I made some bho at weekend as in the UK that's the only way to get it I ended up with some nice crumble that handles nice and I got a chance to try my ff2 with concentrates and boy it blew my head off It tasted awesome and I got huge clouds I followed vapecritics tips cigar puffs till it melted ECT then a good 10 sec slow draw I'm so impressed

23. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

@WarpaintFree - I had a customer who's FF2 was bricked by updating from an iPhone 7+ when it first came out and it was something Firefly fixed. I've been using mine with my 7+ now without issue. I wouldn't do an update from your phone until FF says they have fixed the issue with that particular phone. If you know someone who has a different phone who doesn't mind installing the app and updating it for you, I think that would be prudent. I think you will be fine controlling the vape from your phone, just not updating the firmware from it.

WarpaintFree likes this.
  24. WarpaintFree

Thanks. When my replacement shows up, I'm going to use the app interface on an older iPad running iOS 9.something. Perhaps the problem is in the FF2 app on Android 7... that version only released for my phone in Canada a few weeks ago, and it's a mess, TBH.

25. Funky_Vapor

Funky_Vapor New Member

That really sucks bro I hope all gets resolved fast for U*

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors