1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. hi_there

hi_there Well-Known Member

Ok, so you heat it for only 3 seconds then start your draw. How long is your draw? I do maybe 15 second draws and if I draw after 3 seconds I will get nothing.

And thanks, I will try cleaning the mouthpiece, do you dip it in rubbing alcohol?

2. yogoshio

yogoshio Annoying Libertarian

I'd watch Vape Critic's review and tips video. He (and there are others) gives pretty detailed instructions and tips/tricks.

One thing I do is cover as much of the air intake as possible so there's as little cool air as I can manage.

Dry herb I can see where newcomers would have cloud issues at first, but the FF2 with concentrates is like plug and play. A few cigar puffs to melt the shatter, then rip away.

And not to insult your intelligence, but it is on the concentrate setting?

hi_there, Highonu and Bassman999 like this.
  3. Bassman999

Bassman999 Member

There are several reviews with tips n tricks to this vape on youtube.

Highonu and yogoshio like this.
  4. STaX420

STaX420 New Member

So... I've been using FF2 for few months (got it immedeately after release in EU) and I fell in love with it. It's exactly what I want for personal use .

Since november I've used it mainly with concentrates (20% CBD, without THC) and lately I've been having some issues with it... I wasnt getting any clouds, huge draw resistance, didn't even feel much effect of my herbs and concentrates. So I nearly started believing the 'FF2 is bad" memes. I read about it again and realised it probably needed cleaning (I clean it after few bowls with tissue soaked in iso alcohol), but I didn't want to disassemble it.

Man this thing was clogged up as hell, more than half of the holes were clogged.
    I cleaned it with toothbrush soaked in iso, got most of the concetrate residues out but lot of the holes were stille clogged. So I got needle and cleaned it with it, I was lucky I had so thin needle that got into the holes. After a while all the holes were glowing again.

I tried it with herb on medium (104%) and I was like holyshitdude. Almost no draw ressistance, choked my lungs after first draw, huge clouds.
    Medicated AF from like 3 draws.
    This thing is a monster.

5. Reggie Watts

Reggie Watts Well-Known Member

I find that sativa strains work way better in the FF2 for some reason - bigger clouds, more hits per bowl, and of course more psychoactive effects. I always keep an indica on hand for when I need help sleeping, though. Like right now I have some Ultra Purple Kush, but it doesn't vape very well in the FF2. Then I loaded it with some Sour Chem and got 10 massive hits off the same amount of material.

Bassman999 likes this.
  6. Bassman999

Bassman999 Member

Yeah some strains dont work well for me either, whereas others make clouds that look like I hit a bong almost when hitting till heater turns off.

I used my new bong and realized the difference between vaping and smoking in effects.

7. MonsterWithoutBorders

MonsterWithoutBorders Philosophim

Sativa and indicas work equally great for me. I am not the cloud type. I measure the effectiveness against the great evo and it seems not to lack.

Bassman999 and mitchgo61 like this.
  8. Tacopusher2

Tacopusher2 New Member

Howdy, All! I'm a new member to the forum and just placed an order for a blue Firefly 2 this morning! :)

CalyxSmokr, NYC_Frank and mitchgo61 like this.
  9. yogoshio

Congratz! Read through, find some good "How I do it" posts if you haven't already, and share yours!

Tacopusher2 likes this.
  10. NYC_Frank

NYC_Frank Member

Good luck my friend ... I'm sure you'll be happy ...

Tacopusher2 likes this.
  11. Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey Active Member

Well its been a couple months since I got my FF2 and I have to say Im really let down. I mean, if you want to be REALLY frugal with your supplies, its a great vape but I really dont care. Id rather have more product in the oven because the sessions (yes I know its not a session vape) are too short. The stirring of the flower is getting really old. Even the heating of the oven seems to be taking longer - much longer and I clean it after every use.

The only saving grace is with concentrates. But I get about 3 or 4 good solid hits before it overheats. I find that Im drawing so hard that my jaw gets sore. Its too much work. It overheats too easily as well so if you have just one other person that wants to partake, its not really possible.

The flavor is unmatched I must admit - especially with concentrates. But after using my friends Arizer Air, its so much more pleasant and easier to use despite the flavor not being as good (but good enough). Im going to get one. Looking to sell my FF2 most likely.

I wouldnt be so disappointed if the thing wasnt so expensive. Would love to go with my Plan A and get a Davinci IQ but the horror stories for those units on that subforum scare the shit out of me lol.

Not sure if I should wait for gen 2 arizer products or just go down to local shop today and grab one.

slcbdco and Bassman999 like this.
  12. yogoshio

I used mine daily for several months and never had those issues. :shrug:

Yes, it's efficient, but it also was much more effective with the bowl size than even my Evo. Stirring got easier when I realized finer grind could shake instead of stir, lol.

Only thing I'd ask is are you using iso on the mouthpiece parts and scrubbing the bowl well? The hoies on both are deceptively clean looking most of the time. That's the silent killer of the FF2. :rip:

Other than that, that sucks man. But I know you'll find a buyer easy.

Bassman999 likes this.
  13. Randy Lahey

thanks for the weigh in. Much appreciated.

14. Reggie Watts

Reggie Watts Well-Known Member

I recommend the IQ, man. My friend bought one recently and didn't have any problems either.

15. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

I don't know what your vape fleet is comprised of, but if you see my signature, you'll see that I have a pretty nice little pool of toys to play with. For everyday use, the VapCap has become my daily driver for almost every situation....some situations driven by stealth, some by expedience. But my FF2 has become my go-to for concentrates. The flavor! Although I must say that I use it principally at home, because the ritual required for a great concentrate experience takes some time and technique. Now that I've been vaping for a little over 18 months, I find myself liking butane vapes more and more for when I'm out and about, but I'm using them a shit-ton at home also. But when I have the luxury of just diving for the couch, I go to my FF2 for concentrates and my logs for flower. I bring along the Crafty or the Mighty if I think that I might want to have a little session with a friend.

almost there and Bassman999 like this.
  16. Randy Lahey

Ya I dont have a fleet lol. Would like to and I like the concentrates with the FF - so much flavor. But given what I paid for it, Im not sure its practical to have around just for concentrates. I might keep it. Might not but agree with what you are saying. Id love to get a good session vape that is stealthy and can do concentrates and flower....anything like that our there?

17. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

That's sort of the ultimate goal, no? I don't have anything that meets all four of those targets, but for a portable session vape, the Mighty and Crafty both work....both have different strengths and weaknesses, but both produce great vapor and are simple simple to use. For stealth, my vapcaps win, but they don't session or do concentrates. I get nice results at home when I make a flower/concentrate/flower sandwich in my logs.......one good hit goes straight to couchlock. So I guess that's why what seems like thousands of us on this forum have.....VAS!!!! Fun as hell!

18. Splorgle

Splorgle Active Member

My ff2 is my home vape. I get huge hits, but it has combusted quite a few times, and is quite finicky. I think it was mostly from over packing though. My IQ is the out and about vape, because once loaded, it is quite a bit easier to use!

19. Bassman999

Bassman999 Member

I feel the FF2 is finicky also.
    As soon as I think I know the secret to good hits the next bowl isnt working out.
    Ill try some shatter in it soon and see how that goes.

20. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

Finicky with flower indeed, but the concentrates are quite consistent.

Bassman999 likes this.
  21. Randy Lahey

Whoever said to watch the vapecritic vid thank you. I just did a mega clean of my unit. I think I might keep it and use for concentrates only from here on in.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Bassman999 likes this.
  22. yogoshio

You're welcome!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Randy Lahey likes this.
  23. WarpaintFree

WarpaintFree Active Member

My FF2 is sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow.

I tried to read the entire thread, honestly. After about 3300 posts, it became TL:DR. It's a shame that this vape doesn't have a 'Best Of' thread.

I think the distilled take-away from this thread is: coarse grind, loose fill, LSD. Check.
    View the recommended vids on YT and other. Check.
    Battery gauge on the app probably doesn't work. Check.
    Seat the lid properly and no stray material near the gasket or in the airpath. Check.
    Maybe squeeze the lid a little. Maybe not. Check.
    Maybe touch the buttons to 'wake' the device before firing. Maybe not. Check.

Is there anything else I missed?

I have an idea that I understand the 'algorithms' behind the heating and boost operations. Not the gritty details, but they sure resemble using the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance of certain resistance heating coil materials to modulate the wattage applied to the coils to maintain a set temperature as the temperature fluctuates.

If the last has been covered somewhere in this thread, I apologize.

In any case, I'm looking forward to re-visiting cannabis vaping with this snazzy gadget after about 2 years away.

mitchgo61 likes this.
  24. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

The FF2 is actually a nice device, but it did not convince me. Unfortunately!

I have been trying to sell since December but without success. I do not want a sales post here, rather a tip.

Are 220 € for the FF2 with 3 batteries and hardly used (Last November) too much money?

25. NYC_Frank

NYC_Frank Member

I'm considering buying one of these ultra thin needles to help with unclogging any heating holes that need it after trying the usual ISO/heating procedures. Looks like it's 57.15mm thick. Any thoughts ? ... Thanks ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/252085175110

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors