The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Sold my FF2 two months after getting it. Took me a long time to work out this vape and get the technique sorted. Even when i got it working properly i was under whelmed. Did not get me as stoned as other vapes and i am a very light user.

The amount the technique required was excessive in my opinion. I felt embrassed passing it round as i had to give my friends a science lesson before they used it. The moment of truth came when i went out for my friends birthday brought the FF2 and a Ti woody vacap. Everyone loved the vacap and they all understood why i was selling my FF2. They were underwhelmed as well. The main selling point - flavour - i thought was okay but not as good as others made out.

I feel the lid design is flawed. It allows the potential for leaks and lets the herb fly around in the chamber if your not carefull. Herb that moves does not vape, i have found out. A top screen helps, but its another variable in a long list you have to get right. I could see my lid seal starting to get lose as well. This was with normal cleaning with iso wipes, no soaking. The mouthpiece screen falls out easy and can get damaged when trying to pull it out, another flaw. To move on FF need to scrap the lid design in my opinion, and completly redesign the vape.

After using this vape for a while, the excessive sucking required is quite tiresome. Its also hard to draw like that and walk at the same time, which makes it less portable.

You have to use powertuning to get this vape to work at its best. However then you have no idea what temp your vaping at. Should we not know what temp we are using when a vape costs this much?

Sold my FF2 at a loss, and felt slightly bad for passing on this donkey. Maybe someone else will like it? I do vape with weaker strains out of choice so maybe this vape is not suited to this. Last time i buy a FF product. Gone back to conduction and brought a davinci IQ. I dont think anyone has good portable convection solution yet without issues. Maybe the boundless CFV will be the one but ill need replaceable batteries to jump on that bandwagon.

Good points: it looks nice, is easy to clean, and vapor is cool. Flavour is better than average (however over-rated). Replaceable batteries which charge quick. On demand.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
You have to use powertuning to get this vape to work at its best. However then you have no idea what temp your vaping at. Should we not know what temp we are using when a vape costs this much?.

FF has never confirmed these calculations, but here's a pretty good breakdown of exact temps for each setting at all PT levels.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-169#post-1021213

Of course, you've already sold your FF, so it's a moot point.

mitchgo61,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
FF has never confirmed these calculations, but here's a pretty good breakdown of exact temps for each setting at all PT levels.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-169#post-1021213

Of course, you've already sold your FF, so it's a moot point.

Uncomfirmed. So the table is a guess. We dont even know what power tuning actually changes........

Can FF confirm the table as correct? Then we would all know where we stand on temp selection.

And if the can confirm the table why not just let us select specific temperatures?

Last edited:

Cl4ud3

Uncomfirmed. So the table is a guess. We dont even know what power tuning actually changes........

Can FF confirm the table as correct? The we would all know where we stand on temp selection.

And if the can confirm the table why not just let us select specific temperatures?
Whole thing is still pointless if you don't know where your unit is compared to stock - you might have a unit under-powered or over-powered and no way of knowing.

Cl4ud3,

turk

turk
...funny thing is....excessive sucking isn't required...that's what me and vaporcussion are saying...once you get the technique down..it's actually a pretty simple draw...said it before..will say it again ...its a connoisseur unit...not for everybody...imo.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
...funny thing is....excessive sucking isn't required...that's what me and vaporcussion are saying...once you get the technique down..it's actually a pretty simple draw...said it before..will say it again ...its a connoisseur unit...not for everybody...imo.

Been vaping for 10 years and owned 10 differnt portables and desktops.

Would suggest if i and many others dont "get it" its too hard to work out in the first place. With a learning curve so high how do we know its even working properly?

oddjobold,
Reactions: Elac

mitchgo61

Been vaping for 10 years and owned 10 differnt portables and desktops.

Would suggest if i and many others dont "get it" its too hard to work out in the first place. With a learning curve so high how do we know its even working properly?

I can't speak for your experience. Sorry it wasn't what you expected....but most of us FF users have no issue getting great vapor consistently. I can only speak for myself, but of the three FF2's I've used, two of which I still own, they all not only worked "properly", they've been working pretty damned fabulously.

I've also been vaping for over a decade. I've only used one vape that had no learning curve whatsoever. (I'll let you guess which one. :p) Honestly, I don't find the FF2 curve all that long or steep or complicated, compared to the 1, or some other manual convection vapes I've used. Obviously mileage is variable here.

Last edited:

jdent3

Sold my FF2 two months after getting it. Took me a long time to work out this vape and get the technique sorted. Even when i got it working properly i was under whelmed. Did not get me as stoned as other vapes and i am a very light user.

The amount the technique required was excessive in my opinion. I felt embrassed passing it round as i had to give my friends a science lesson before they used it. The moment of truth came when i went out for my friends birthday brought the FF2 and a Ti woody vacap. Everyone loved the vacap and they all understood why i was selling my FF2. They were underwhelmed as well. The main selling point - flavour - i thought was okay but not as good as others made out.

I feel the lid design is flawed. It allows the potential for leaks and lets the herb fly around in the chamber if your not carefull. Herb that moves does not vape, i have found out. A top screen helps, but its another variable in a long list you have to get right. I could see my lid seal starting to get lose as well. This was with normal cleaning with iso wipes, no soaking. The mouthpiece screen falls out easy and can get damaged when trying to pull it out, another flaw. To move on FF need to scrap the lid design in my opinion, and completly redesign the vape.

After using this vape for a while, the excessive sucking required is quite tiresome. Its also hard to draw like that and walk at the same time, which makes it less portable.

You have to use powertuning to get this vape to work at its best. However then you have no idea what temp your vaping at. Should we not know what temp we are using when a vape costs this much?

Sold my FF2 at a loss, and felt slightly bad for passing on this donkey. Maybe someone else will like it? I do vape with weaker strains out of choice so maybe this vape is not suited to this. Last time i buy a FF product. Gone back to conduction and brought a davinci IQ. I dont think anyone has good portable convection solution yet without issues. Maybe the boundless CFV will be the one but ill need replaceable batteries to jump on that bandwagon.

Good points: it looks nice, is easy to clean, and vapor is cool. Flavour is better than average (however over-rated). Replaceable batteries which charge quick. On demand.

I agree with most of what you said. I sold my ff2 after owning it for 4 months. I did like it overall but I became tired of stirring it. I feel like the whole point of taking one or two hits (at least for me) is to be stealthy and quick. It kind of sucks having to stop and stir when you want to be stealthy. I also found that to vape a whole bowl it took much longer than say my Mighty or Evo.

The other reason I sold it and probably the most important is that I could not hit it walking due to shortness of breath and even standing sometimes was difficult. I am young and have no trouble breathing normally so I know it's not just me. I don't like to feel short of breath while vaping. If the ff2 had a more open air path I would have not sold it. I understand the reason behind it though because the heater likely can't keep up if the draw is open.

Concentrates out of this thing were amazing and that's what I'll miss most. The flavor was off the charts. No vape pen or rig can compare in taste to the ff2.

turk

turk
...firefly has a "vote" promotion going on now here in california...around prop 64 (legalization)...

turk,
Reactions: sag

jay87

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say that if the draw seems too restrictive you're probably drawing too hard which leads to less vapor production and then unhappy customers.

Some people say the FF2 is hard to use, my experience is just the opposite.

For me it's ridiculously easy to use and I have no idea how anyone else could have such trouble. It's just so easy for me, I literally just breathe.

I don't put much thought into this topic anymore as it's kind of beating a dead horse. :shrug:

Vaporcussion

funny thing is....excessive sucking isn't required...that's what me and vaporcussion are saying.

I didn't say that! My friend said it's like playing an oboe, and for those of you who don't know, playing an oboe is HARD. (Pushing air through a tiny hole at the right speed) So she was saying, "this is work!"

but most of us FF users have no issue getting great vapor consistently.

Please be careful speaking for the majority! I'm still on the fence with this vape, the range of experience has been from the best hit ever, to overheating before I even get a decent hit. There are so many variables that I still feel it might be my own fault.

The other reason I sold it and probably the most important is that I could not hit it walking due to shortness of breath and even standing sometimes was difficult.

Excellent point. A few more observations
This is not sipping vape. (no quick 5 second rip)
This is not vape to use while walking, or multitasking in general. It demands your attention.
Another person wrote, "It's boring to suck on a vape for 30 seconds, waiting..."

Horrible while driving. "Hey everybody, I'm smoking a pipe"

mitchgo61

Please be careful speaking for the majority! I'm still on the fence with this vape, the range of experience has been from the best hit ever, to overheating before I even get a decent hit. There are so many variables that I still feel it might be my own fault."

But you as a single user will not push consensus to either side of the "majority" line. I'm not speaking FOR anyone....I know from my discussions with the company, and from posts here, that the vast majority of FF2 users have not logged any complaints with the company. You may hate it, or love it, but where you stand won't affect the % of satisfied users in any meaningful way given the number of extant units in users' hands.

You and everyone you know on the planet could hate the FF and still be well within the <2% of users who've logged issues with the company. (Assuming you don't know tens of thousands of people, that is. :p)

Quick question for the masses...

Is the FF2 Warranty transferable?

Yes. https://www.thefirefly.com/support#support_warranty

Last edited:

Vaporcussion

@turk, no apology necessary : )

@mitchgo61 you're off on your own point, who cares if there are complaints logged with the company or not? The point is many people do find difficulty, and for you to say "but most of us FF users have no issue getting great vapor consistently" that doesn't really help them, or offer a solution. Be encouraging!

Btw, I think it was stickstones who recc vaping a full bud, flipping it, then, crushing it up. That worked very well.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
You and everyone you know on the planet could hate the FF and still be well within the <2% of users who've logged issues with the company. (Assuming you don't know tens of thousands of people, that is. :p)

I did not log a complaint with the company as my vape was used. So no refund. What was the point. It "worked" just not very well, in my opinion.

How many others like me...

oddjobold,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I love discussions like this. It reminds me of how different everyone's valid experience is. I absolutely love the FF2 on walks and drives. I tend to follow the guide of @pakalolo that states "if I'm feeling restriction in the draw, I'm drawing too hard." That dude knows his shit.

This is a common theme among some of my favorite convection vapes at the moment. Some think the Milaana is easy to use, while it took me a good while to get good at it. The FF2 was a piece of cake for me out of the box, yet others have problems. It appears portable convection vaping is harder to make brainless than the conduction model...

mitchgo61

@turk, no apology necessary : )

@mitchgo61 you're off on your own point, who cares if there are complaints logged with the company or not? The point is many people do find difficulty, and for you to say "but most of us FF users have no issue getting great vapor consistently" that doesn't really help them, or offer a solution. Be encouraging!

Btw, I think it was stickstones who recc vaping a full bud, flipping it, then, crushing it up. That worked very well.

Well, fair point, but if you've read any of my 100s of posts in this thread, I think I've contributed a crap load to the "offer solutions/be encouraging" side of this argument. When it comes to this device I pretty much sweat bullets here trying to get folks to get satisfaction from their FF2. (As to my original post, the guy sold his FF, so no amount of "try this" from me was going to help him be a happy customer. That ship had sailed.)

Vaporcussion

@mitchgo61 Good point, and with over 2000 posts, you are indeed a blessing to this forum. And just to be clear, the best hit ever in my 10 years vaping, was from the FF2. I've been chasing that hit ever since...

Vaporcussion,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

@mitchgo61 Good point, and with over 2000 posts, you are indeed a blessing to this forum. And just to be clear, the best hit ever in my 10 years vaping, was from the FF2. I've been chasing that hit ever since...

See, we gotta get you back there. :p You need hits like that daily.

It is crazy how variable all these experiences are, as sticks notes. Even among folks who love the thing, everyone seems to take a slightly different path.

Tranquility

I know from my discussions with the company, and from posts here, that the vast majority of FF2 users have not logged any complaints with the company. You may hate it, or love it, but where you stand won't affect the % of satisfied users in any meaningful way given the number of extant units in users' hands.
Is that how the metric "satisfied users" is measured? The percentage who did not log a complaint in with the company? (I assume, even if that were the measurement, we would subtract those who are happy after customer service within a defined time period.)

Tranquility,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom