The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Is that how the metric "satisfied users" is measured? The percentage who did not log a complaint in with the company? (I assume, even if that were the measurement, we would subtract those who are happy after customer service within a defined time period.)

Probably not the most complete measure, given as mentioned by others it doesn't include people who have units that work right but aren't thrilled with it, and never contact the company. Not sure how you'd estimate that.

I would think if "dissatisfaction" reached anything like "half" you'd see tons more dissatisfied users in forums and showing up at the company's doorstep, virtually or otherwise. How would you quantify this missing, silent user base? Not sure there's any way....the company can only act on what it knows based on feedback and sales. Be interesting to get unit sale info for the FF2 vs the 1....might shed some light on this.

mitchgo61,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Probably not the most complete measure, given as mentioned by others it doesn't include people who have units that work right but aren't thrilled with it, and never contact the company. Not sure how you'd estimate that.

I would think if "dissatisfaction" reached anything like "half" you'd see tons more dissatisfied users in forums and showing up at the company's doorstep, virtually or otherwise. How would you quantify this missing, silent user base? Not sure there's any way....the company can only act on what it knows based on feedback and sales. Be interesting to get unit sale info for the FF2 vs the 1....might shed some light on this.

I think number of sales would not get to the truth either. A lot of people brought the FF2 based on the hype and vape critics review.

Think the only way would be some kinda customer satisfaction survey. Then of course surveys - like forums will only capture those with extreme views.

Its like every star rating on amazon has at least one person who hates the product and one that loves it.

Last edited:

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
I understand the reason behind it though because the heater likely can't keep up if the draw is open.

No. With my airflow unleashed mod I discovered the heater is powerful enough to compete with me. I suppose they limited the flow just to keep herbs in the bowl.

It's just so easy for me, I literally just breathe.

Now I breath, before I suffocated.

CroZure

So I rolled the dice the other day and decided to replace the standard screen with a mesh screen. Big mistake. When I was trying to loosen a screw tha holds the heating element in place, the back end of the square nut that holds the nut to the motherboard broke. Come to find out, this is really the only thing putting pressure heating element so that it can have contact with the motherboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix it. I've put everything back together and the eLemont dosent get hot. It seems that if I can just get a replacment nut then it should work fine. I've emailed FF2 on Friday so hopefully they will work with me. Obviously any manufacturer warrenty was voided.

CRvapes

@CroZure

I'm on my phone here but the picture does not look to be high resolution as I couldn't focus enough to tell what broke.

I'm guessing try instant adhesive to reseat the part that broke.

You clearly know the solution. Just gotta figure how to execute it now. Don't give up. You can fix it

CRvapes,
Reactions: steama

CroZure

Thanks @CRvapes . There are basically two problems. The bond coming loose where the nut is welded to the motherboard is one. The bigger problem is that the nut fully broke in half. The top picture shows the broken nut. It should be one piece.

I must say. After observing the standard screen, I am not 100% disappointed in my decision to take it apart. This thing was pretty clogged. I even clean the whole vape after every bowl. About once every two weeks I would clean the chamber out with an air duster. I feel like a vigorous cleaning on the screen is needed every so often.

I did purchase a grasshopper but I have to wait until december. I was going to do it anyways since I have been dissapoinoted in the draw resistance lately. This just made me pull the trigger.

Definitely not a smart move. Why, oh why, would you embark on disassembling your entire Firefly to deal with the screen. Did you contact Firefly about your screen issue before you wrecked your vape? I do feel sorry for you (but more for the vape) and hope it works out for the best. Fingers crossed you didn't make a $300 mistake. On the positive side the pieces are very interesting to look at.

I would call Firefly and see if you can ship it back to them for reassembly. :2c:
I asked myself the same question but it was my last effort to make this vape my go to. No, I never reached out to them since it seemed to work properly. My concern with this vape is no different than what I have read from others on here. Lately I have been using my mighty more anyways but I am going to want to use this guy every so often so i'd like to get it fixed.

Yeah, I wasn't going to post this but I felt like there is a need to make others aware of the risk when you open it up. I knew there was a risk and I paid the price for it. If I did nothing, the vape was just going to collect dust. Hoepfully firefly will work with me on this one. I think that is my only option.

Last edited:
CroZure,
Reactions: steama

Xelatsok

I asked myself the same question but it was my last effort to make this vape my go to. No, I never reached out to them since it seemed to work properly. My concern with this vape is no different than what I have read from others on here... If I did nothing, the vape was just going to collect dust.

Definitely a smart move. I was in the same boat, I tried and got a usable vape finally. I am so sorry for your FF, but you were right and brave to trying. I hope you'll find a way to fix it.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Definitely a smart move. I was in the same boat, I tried and got a usable vape finally. I am so sorry for your FF, but you were right and brave to trying. I hope you'll find a way to fix it.

Unfortunately he's now voided the warranty. I vote "not smart", if only because it had a bad ending. Hopefully FF will find a way to help him even though he has ceded his warranty rights by breaking it in an attempt at re-assembly.

jay87

So I've noticed that I can greatly effect the airflow through the heating chamber by changing how I seat the concentrate pad. I usually try to get one side of the pad pushed down and let the other side be a bit higher up in the bowl so the pad isn't quite level.

I think this idea could be applied to herb in regards to how airflow in the FF2 works, for example packing the FF2 with an entire nug vs a finely ground dense pack.

It's not an exact science yet but I've found that with certain positioning of the concentrate pad I get little to no whistling noise, firm but not too tight of draw resistance, and great vapor results. :science:

I've also noticed that I can very consistently decide if I want a thicker hotter cloud by taking a slower tighter draw, or I can get a lighter and cooler cloud by taking a slightly faster harder draw.

I am speaking purely of concentrate use so maybe herb is different but:

I feel I've pretty much mastered the technique that so many people don't like about this vape and I'm getting the extremely huge benefit of at will customization of my vaporizing experience. :2c:

@CroZure That really sucks about the broken piece, I wish you luck and hope that you can get it fixed.

I know this might be a bit painful but I'm really interested in seeing exactly what the stock screen of the FF2 looks like when removed from the device, if you could post a picture of that piece I'd be very grateful.:bowdown:

jay87,

CroZure

Sure. I'm not as hurt about it as some of you guys might be if it happened to yours. I was really tired of feeling like my eyes were popping out of my head every time I took a pull.

The screen is still about 10 % clogged, even after an alcohol bath. IMO, this is a flaw in the design. This screen should be able to be replaced every so often. It is hard for me to believe that it won't get clogged after long term use.

marduk

daydreamer
Sure. I'm not as hurt about it as some of you guys might be if it happened to yours. I was really tired of feeling like my eyes were popping out of my head every time I took a pull.

The screen is still about 10 % clogged, even after an alcohol bath. IMO, this is a flaw in the design. This screen should be able to be replaced every so often. It is hard for me to believe that it won't get clogged after long term use.

Sorry you had some bad luck... hope FF will help you out. I agree with all your points.

I did mine yesterday, and it was totally worth it. Draw resistance is now less than my FF1, and there's significantly less stirring required.

Before and after pics are below. I didn't have a 21mm screen on hand so I used a 3/4" 60-wire screen. There's a gap around it compared to the original screen in the pic, but when everything is fully assembled it's sealed securely on all sides.

iHwlDGC.jpg

bpBrn5t.jpg

xnxb4X7.jpg

Thanks to @Elac and @Xelatsok for showing the way. :tup:

Baron23

Thanks @CRvapes . There are basically two problems. The bond coming loose where the nut is welded to the motherboard is one. The bigger problem is that the nut fully broke in half. The top picture shows the broken nut. It should be one piece.

I must say. After observing the standard screen, I am not 100% disappointed in my decision to take it apart. This thing was pretty clogged. I even clean the whole vape after every bowl. About once every two weeks I would clean the chamber out with an air duster. I feel like a vigorous cleaning on the screen is needed every so often.

I did purchase a grasshopper but I have to wait until december. I was going to do it anyways since I have been dissapoinoted in the draw resistance lately. This just made me pull the trigger.

I asked myself the same question but it was my last effort to make this vape my go to. No, I never reached out to them since it seemed to work properly. My concern with this vape is no different than what I have read from others on here. Lately I have been using my mighty more anyways but I am going to want to use this guy every so often so i'd like to get it fixed.

Yeah, I wasn't going to post this but I felt like there is a need to make others aware of the risk when you open it up. I knew there was a risk and I paid the price for it. If I did nothing, the vape was just going to collect dust. Hopefully firefly will work with me on this one. I think that is my only option.
Can you not use an epoxy to bond the two parts of the captive fastener (doesn't really look like a nut).

I don't imagine this fastener is under a heavy load....just needs to be good and snug, right?

Perhaps a bit of two part epoxy, very carefully and thinly applied, with plenty of time to cure will work. Yeah, its a chemical but the epoxy should finish out-gassing when cured, no?

Baron23,

CroZure

Can you not use an epoxy to bond the two parts of the captive fastener (doesn't really look like a nut).

I don't imagine this fastener is under a heavy load....just needs to be good and snug, right?

Perhaps a bit of two part epoxy, very carefully and thinly applied, with plenty of time to cure will work. Yeah, its a chemical but the epoxy should finish out-gassing when cured, no?
I was thinking about using an epoxy like gorilla glue but I can imagine that this nut gets really hot. I wonder if that will effect the bond. Do you know of a type of two part epoxy to try?

CroZure,

Baron23

I was thinking about using an epoxy like gorilla glue but I can imagine that this nut gets really hot. I wonder if that will effect the bond. Do you know of a type of two part epoxy to try?

Turns out from the little bit of searching that I did that one part epoxy is generally the higher temp adhesives compared to two part (per an article on Permatex's site)

Not at all sure how hot it would get but here is a high temp epoxy from JB Weld.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/highheat-epoxy-putty

Google high temp epoxy and it returns the following

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+temp+epoxy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Baron23,
Reactions: CroZure

CroZure

I was able glue the broken nut to the motherboard with gorilla glue super glue. After it dried, I was able to screw the ceramic plate down and maintain contact with the heating element. It don't know if it was the super glue fumes or the mod but this thing is rocking now. :)

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
I was able glue the broken nut to the motherboard with gorilla glue super glue. After it dried, I was able to screw the ceramic plate down and maintain contact with the heating element. It don't know if it was the super glue fumes or the mod but this thing is rocking now. :)

I wouldn't use glue, can you resolder the piece back to the underside of the board?

Elac,

Meach

I'd hate to spend that amount of $ and have to do such a tedious modification on it ..for something as simple as screen replacement..glad it's working for those who did it..I'm in the market for a portable convection vape and this really sways me from considering this device.otherwise I love the simplicity and aesthetics of the FF

Meach,

Xelatsok

I'm in the market for a portable convection vape and this really sways me from considering this device.otherwise I love the simplicity and aesthetics of the FF
... I also love fast start, powerful heater, taste&flavor, vapor cooling, dock, fast charge, replaceable batteries, easy maintenance, wide range temp control (though it tricky). Some love effficiency, discreetness and less smell also. Hm, I like less room note too.

Sure, I do not like the fact it is half-baked and needs STUPID mesh mod for some, I suppose for those with big lungs. I also do not like misleading video on the offsite, where developer got a good cloud right from the first draw. It is not fair, FF2 simply does not work this way. I do not like how the company handles "over-suckling" complaints too.

But I yet to know better portable convection vape overall. So I am OK with the mod and glad to have FF2.

Last edited:
Xelatsok,
Hi!

Been back after a year, been active in the FF1 scene and the device never failed me.

But I threw it away because i was done with it for a while. Ordered a FF2 White yesterday and can't wait to try it!

Expecting it to work even better than the original :)

fogbank

I've said before that to me the FF2 is a modest improvement over the FF1 when it comes to vapor production. My goal for any portable vape is to get a single hit of thick vapor as quickly as possible. My FF2 comes closer to achieving that goal than my FF1s.

Lately I've been able to nail down the technique required to get a good thick hit of vapor from the first hit, pretty much every time. I don't want to get all "Seattle windshield pitting" here, but I am convinced that squeezing the bowl end firmly while drawing has greatly increased my odds of getting that thick first hit. I tried doing it for several weeks and then tried not doing it, and I was disappointed every time I didn't squeeze it. Lately my search has been focused on eliminating the need to squeeze. I tried the concentrate pad on top of the bowl and it didn't seem to help (actually seemed like I got less vapor). I noticed that the gasket on my grey lid was lifting up, so I ordered a new white lid. It didn't change the equation. So I'm satisfied with my ability to get a good hit on the first hit pretty consistently, but I'm not crazy about the awkward technique required.

I've made sure that the mouthpiece is firmly seated in the unit. If I start drawing without squeezing the bowl, and then start squeezing it I really don't feel an increase in resistance, which seems counterintuitive.

Somehow squeezing seems to do the trick for me...

Lately I've been able to nail down the technique required to get a good thick hit of vapor from the first hit, pretty much every time. I don't want to get all "Seattle windshield pitting" here, but I am convinced that squeezing the bowl end firmly while drawing has greatly increased my odds of getting that thick first hit. I tried doing it for several weeks and then tried not doing it, and I was disappointed every time I didn't squeeze it. Lately my search has been focused on eliminating the need to squeeze. I tried the concentrate pad on top of the bowl and it didn't seem to help (actually seemed like I got less vapor). I noticed that the gasket on my grey lid was lifting up, so I ordered a new white lid. It didn't change the equation. So I'm satisfied with my ability to get a good hit on the first hit pretty consistently, but I'm not crazy about the awkward technique required.

I've made sure that the mouthpiece is firmly seated in the unit. If I start drawing without squeezing the bowl, and then start squeezing it I really don't feel an increase in resistance, which seems counterintuitive.

Somehow squeezing seems to do the trick for me...
I also generally use the squeeze technique. It often produces a better seal and that makes it work hotter and more vapor. I try hard to place the top on so seal is good and sometimes that seems to work well but mostly the squeeze is the bees knees

What happens when the screen gets dirty? You have to take it apart everytime to replace the SS screen?

I read that the FF2 has more draw resistance than the FF. (Never tried the FF, so you can tell us!)

We shall see, I will definately share my experiences! It just arrived so cant wait!! I dont think id mind slightly more resistance.

My old FF was black and as with my iphone i decided to go white because it makes me happy :)

Go against the masses :p

Question: How do you guys maintain maximum battery life? Are the two batterys empty at arrival? Should I charge one to 50% and store it indefinately? Or should I use them turn on turn to keep them 'active'?

Edit: nvm i think i need to give it time to actually charge haha.

So far ive been vapeing thick clouds of concentrates, i love the slightly increased draw resistance, doesnt feel as if im sucking on nothingness so to speak.

Other pleasantries compared to FF1, lid easier to take off, and weight is soo much lighter!

Amazing so far!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marctraider,
Reactions: kcmochris
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom