The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vape4fun

Wow leave this thread for couple weeks and come back to discussions of ceramic screens, taking out screens, and the use of epoxys and glues!

I feel this isn't a be all end all vape but I have three lids all very good and set on medium power boost to 108 pack it long slow draw and done. I have taken screen out of mouthpiece because I don't think it's necessary but when packed right sealed right this vaporizer reacts perfectly to a nice long slow draw.

If I was Thinking about getting one of these vapes I would be severely nervous about getting a FF2 after reading the last few pages of this thread!

vape4fun,
Wow leave this thread for couple weeks and come back to discussions of ceramic screens, taking out screens, and the use of epoxys and glues!

I feel this isn't a be all end all vape but I have three lids all very good and set on medium power boost to 108 pack it long slow draw and done. I have taken screen out of mouthpiece because I don't think it's necessary but when packed right sealed right this vaporizer reacts perfectly to a nice long slow draw.

If I was Thinking about getting one of these vapes I would be severely nervous about getting a FF2 after reading the last few pages of this thread!

Honestly its been the same in FF1 thread. Horror stories, the fact is that 90% that come here probably have issues or concerns in the first place so its biased.

Anyone else who is 'just happy' is too stoned to even bother :p

My FF1 lasted through the end, I expect my gorgious white FF2 to be the same :)

Marctraider,

vape4fun

I guess this goes back to Nixons silent majority, but I just don't want people to get the wrong idea that in order for this device to work you have to spend $400 and then take the thing apart and then get a new screen from somewhere else install it and then you will get stoned! It's ludicrous and unnecessary

toecutter

Hey I was wondering if anyone here has a spare lid that they would be interested in selling for a good price?

I'm not concerned if the paint is in good shape, as I will be removing or covering the painted part. Frankly I would be okay, if it were one of the faulty gasket lids, as it is just for proof of concept, and won't be used for its intended purpose.

Thanks!

toecutter,
Question: How do you guys maintain maximum battery life? Are the two batterys empty at arrival? Should I charge one to 50% and store it indefinately? Or should I use them turn on turn to keep them 'active'?
I believe u can store a lithium-ion battery for 10 years 40% charge and 32 degrees F. Otherwise max life is about 3 yrs using or not.

I swap batteries on every load and try to charge just under full (a challenge) which for my use is 1/2 hour. Incremental charging gives u many more cycles. Discharging to empty gives u least cycles.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: Tranquility

Vaporcussion

@mitchgo61 inspired me to practice more (which I have) and last night I got back to a killer hit! I find after the FF is warmed up, I get great results at Med Low, but on the first bowl I need to start at High/Med High. It's like making pancakes, that first one never comes out as good! So, that little bit of conduction seems to help it along? Thoughts?

Vaporcussion,

DankUser

I believe u can store a lithium-ion battery for 10 years 40% charge and 32 degrees F. Otherwise max life is about 3 yrs using or not.

I swap batteries on every load and try to charge just under full (a challenge) which for my use is 1/2 hour. Incremental charging gives u many more cycles. Discharging to empty gives u least cycles.
Good strategy, and even more so considering these are proprietary batteries. If it used 18650's, I'd not give a darn.

It'd be neat if Firefly would incorporate something in a firmware update that allowed the user to choose a charge level, kinda like what Lenovo does with their laptops. If I remember correctly, charging a LiIon battery to 4.10V vs 4.20V gives a huge boost in cell life.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
@mitchgo61 inspired me to practice more (which I have) and last night I got back to a killer hit! I find after the FF is warmed up, I get great results at Med Low, but on the first bowl I need to start at High/Med High. It's like making pancakes, that first one never comes out as good! So, that little bit of conduction seems to help it along? Thoughts?

Yeah I know what you mean...though technically there shouldn't be any real conduction, I find it warms up after the first hit or so. (I think this is pretty standard convection behavior, actually....the weed gets "primed" from the first hit of warm air, gets all warmed up, and released vapor more easily on the next series of hits. That's what I believe is happening, and I've seen this with other convection devices, unless, as you point out, you start on a very high temp.)

I still get the best results with a very dense pack, on High, tweaked all the way to 11 on PT. Pretty aggressive heat-wise, but I get great large hits right away.

I guess this goes back to Nixons silent majority, but I just don't want people to get the wrong idea that in order for this device to work you have to spend $400 and then take the thing apart and then get a new screen from somewhere else install it and then you will get stoned! It's ludicrous and unnecessary

Totally agree....you'd think it was a very unreliable device from reading bits of this thread. Obviously some users are finding it so, but for many of us, it just works. (I really do have this thought when I read a lot of these posts..."mine works fine, all the time...wonder what the fuck is going on with some of these units?")

Seriously, other than battery weirdness (which is very weird!) I just don't have any problems with my FF2, which I couldn't say about the FF1, after living through more than 7 failed units in the first year. (Though to be fair those all worked great until the moment of failure.) :2c:

Last edited:

toecutter

Totally agree....you'd think it was a very unreliable device from reading bits of this thread. Obviously some users are finding it so, but for many of us, it just works. (I really do have this thought when I read a lot of these posts..."mine works fine, all the time...wonder what the fuck is going on with some folks?")

Seriously, other than battery weirdness (which is very weird!) I just don't have any problems with my FF2, which I couldn't say about the FF1, after living through more than 7 failed units in the first year. (Though to be fair those all worked great until the moment of failure.) :2c:

Being one of those early disatisfied customers, I have been meaning to update. While my FF2 functioned just fine (once I learned the technique), it was an undeniable chemical taste that turned me off.

Thanks to your suggestions Mitch, after cleaning with iso, whatever residue that was there was completely removed and the taste has been herb and herb only. I do appreciate your help.

I should also mention that I got a voicemail from John at Firefly, asking if there was anything he could so to help resolve my issue. Talk about customer service! Anyhow, I feel like a heel, as I never called him back. My mother had just taken quite ill and I was preoccupied, to say the least.

Anyhow, paint me satisfied with the FF2 and Firefly as a company.

banana joe

I have to say I'm quite satisfied with the FF2. The flavor is astonishing, and I got great results right out of the box. I can see why it isn't for everyone: you do need big lungs to get big hits. Usually I can get 4 nice big hits with nice satisfying clouds out of a bowl, then the vapor production diminishes, but I can still take a couple more draws. I guess you can't expect much more from 0.1g. The next vape I'm gonna buy is the Mighty, I'm curious to see how they compare.

One thing I noticed is that there's a small gap between the steel screen and the glass bowl, in which some small particles may lodge. Also the steel screen is changing color near the center and bottom. Is that normal?

Vaporcussion

The next vape I'm gonna buy is the Mighty, I'm curious to see how they compare.
They are completely different, and compliment each other perfectly. You'll be very happy.
The Mighty just hands you the vapor, no draw resistance or technique needed. Easy to pass to newbies, sip or rip, multitask, etc. Massive clouds of great S&B flavor. Very easy to breathe through.
However, the wide open draw lets in more air than the FF2, and it's for this reason that the FF2 has the potential to beat out the Mighty in flavor, and DENSITY, imo You just have to learn the perfect technique.

If anyone is using the concentrate pads, do you reckon by pushing them down into the ceramic/glass whatever chamber, the sides will get damaged or scratched?

I'm also thinking about changing the bowl screen with a Mesh pad, what do you guys think? :D I'm somewhat disappointed by the air restriction as well, my lungs are starting to hurt!

I have had experience 'fixing' air leak flaws and crap on my old FF and opened it up at least more than once so I'm not afraid of damaging anything.

I can seem to get ahold of 20/21mm screens, copper, stainless, not sure whats best. lol

Last edited:
Marctraider,
Reactions: Xelatsok
I thought to do that too. Go on and let us know how is it. It should add some nice conduction.
Will do, I'd care less about warranty anyway haha.

Already ordered lots of copper/SS screens.

I hope there are no downsides to this mod. If resistance ends up too low one can always put the mouthpiece screen back on

Marctraider,

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
I expect more even hot airflow with concentrate pad comparing to SS screen. Now I have hot spot in the center, using SS screen. Next time I open my FF2 I would try concentrate pad instead of SS screen.

Xelatsok,
I expect more even hot airflow with concentrate pad comparing to SS screen. Now I have hot spot in the center, using SS screen. Next time I open my FF2 I would try concentrate pad instead of SS screen.

Arent the concentrate pads way too thick and not nearly as wide as 21mm?

Also Im not sure but perhaps
you should try a finer mesh screen? What about two on top of each other? Or a smaller screen (1.5cm) bowl size, like the old FF1 had a screen on the bottom of the bowl. So basically you have two screens where air has to spread around.

Marctraider,
Reactions: kcmochris

Xelatsok

Arent the concentrate pads way too thick and not nearly as wide as 21mm?.. Also Im not sure but perhaps you should try a finer mesh screen?
I just tried the pad pushing it hard down to the bottom of the bowl, with no disassembling FF2. And I did not like this config both for added restriction as well vapor production, but I vaped tobacco so YMMV.
I would replace the screen with a finer one as soon as I find it.

Xelatsok,

Mr420

Hello everybody. Been reading this forum for some time now but haven't been able to register until now...Anyhow. Great to be here with "my kind of folks".

I have the Firefly 2 and been trying to nail down the right techniques. So far I've been able to get 2 to 4 good hits from a single bowl...I pack the bowl full and "quite tight" with hand torn material...I'm quite sure my packing technique is OK. It doesn't seem to matter what heating profile I'm in. I mean, the taste is different on higher temps and I think the FF in general works as it should, still in the promo videos, people talk about "10 hits" or so...Has anyone been able to reach this with long slow draws? It seems that my material is "quite much used" after my 2 hits...Even though I stir...I also have a Mighty and with that I can take like 3-4 big hits and still the material is in better condition if you know what I mean.

Also I sent an email to FF customer service asking about the heating profiles...I was told that both the heating profile and power tuning change only the temperature, nothing else...So is it really so that there's no difference vaping for example on medium high (PT 0%) or Medium (Power Tuning 5%)...

Thanks...I'm sure some answers could be found on this thread, I've read through most of it but that was before I had my own Firefly. I'm visually impaired and finding stuff from this kind of threads is slowish...Hope someone can help me.

Thanks a lot...Vape on!

Mr420,
I just tried the pad pushing it hard down to the bottom of the bowl, with no disassembling FF2. And I did not like this config both for added restriction as well vapor production, but I vaped tobacco so YMMV.
I would replace the screen with a finer one as soon as I find it.

Nice try though. it really wastes all the bowl space :p

Just curious, do you often vape tobacco in it? my rolling tobacco tastes like crap, perhaps i should try a flavor pipe tobacco again

Marctraider,

Xelatsok

Just curious, do you often vape tobacco in it? my rolling tobacco tastes like crap, perhaps i should try a flavor pipe tobacco again
It is my primary vape after the screen mod. You are right on pipe vs rolling tobacco. Grind and tiny drop of PG per bowl do help.

Xelatsok,
It is my primary vape after the screen mod. You are right on pipe vs rolling tobacco. Grind and tiny drop of PG per bowl do help.

I cant wait to try it :)

I noticed too that no matter how hard i try i couldnt even fill up my lungs (pretty high capacity for a smoker) with the FF2's resistence which, imho puts it very far from the sweet spot.

I reckon lower draw resistance will also make you beg less for fresh air lol. So are your draws also finished faster? Or do you still want to draw at a steady pace?

Marctraider,

Xelatsok

I reckon lower draw resistance will also make you beg less for fresh air lol. So are your draws also finished faster? Or do you still want to draw at a steady pace?
Now it lets to draw fast, making big clouds, which are heavy on lungs though. I do not like this as well as how FF2 whines then. So I draw slowly in silence and my moderate puffs are dense, cool and tasty. EDIT: I draw just a tad faster than before the mod, but there is no more struggle.

Last edited:
Xelatsok,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom