The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Yes, I think the difference in airflow massively effects the conduction to convection ratio. In the cyclone bowl the weed is touching a glass bowl that gets very hot, and the air only flows through a tiny diameter of the bud. @pakalolo is the master of this topic but the intake hole in the cyclone bowl's design mixed with the glass exposure to herb means that its heating with conduction, radiation and perhaps a little convection. I pack my weed in a tiny elbow screen that goes face down and the weed is only touching the screen. It is essentially pure convection, as can be surmised by the massive improvements in quality of vapor and ease of extraction.
There is a small amount of conduction action and ways to get more radiant heat from the glass and screens for that matter. I started using thinner screens because I prefer not having a screen taste. To work around some conduction I didn't want.:haw: With my current setup I try to insulate and store as much heat in the wand to get fuller extraction. I think a @DDave setup uses a lot of radiant heat from the heater itself.:2c:

But in short it is designed as convection vape. In long form a Convection with some conduction and/or radiant heat depending on your setup.
I'll take all the heat I can from it. Just not conduction from screens if I can help it.
Just ran my Flowermate and EQ together through my Claisen adapter at the same time.:rockon:Filled the Flowermate with a mint and lemongrass blend. :drool:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@throwawaytre3s , maybe you should dust off your neglected stock parts and give them a go, I was really surprised when I hit this new stock eq, it produced really nice thick, tasty clouds...
Extraction was less efficient and it took more draws to finish a load, and wasn't as hard hitting, but it worked really well stock...

I would definitely recommend it as a whip vape, and I have, it's why my mate bought it...

scorpioeq

I really doubt yours was fake if it came in the box with all correct accessories. I know there are fake Solos and Airs, but I don't think EQ is a common fakeout.

On a happier note: I now have an EQ! 40$ on LA Craigslist, it's a newer model. Came with all pieces so I threw together a bootleg DDave mod with 18mm M2Ms and a F2F + a whip to my bong. WOW! I'm the 9 millionth person to say this, but the mod really turns a mediocre conduction desktop into a top notch convection unit. It's so good that I almost can't believe Arizer isn't taking advantage of it. I'm milking up pipes like I'm using an Evo. The draw takes some time to get going, but the vapor quality for the price (even at 150, setting aside my 40$ purchase) is remarkable.
Hey, I found this thread, right here at FC about fake EQs. Thread was locked even though I'm sure the topic comes up every now and then... http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/is-my-new-extreme-q-fake.14356/

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I think a @DDave setup uses a lot of radiant heat from the heater itself.:2c:
@CuckFumbustion
:rockon: Correct on the radiant heat from the heater assumption. Also the heat radiation from a fully preheated F/F adapter. Glass thickness of these adapters is an important parameter in the mod functioning properly with all pieces, which is why I weigh the adapters I receive and reject any that do not meet specs. (Also, I hate thin glass!!!)

CuckFumbustion

@CuckFumbustion
:rockon: Correct on the radiant heat from the heater assumption. Also the heat radiation from a fully preheated F/F adapter. Glass thickness of these adapters is an important parameter in the mod functioning properly with all pieces, which is why I weigh the adapters I receive and reject any that do not meet specs. (Also, I hate thin glass!!!)
You weigh them? :hmm: Makes some sort of sense, just wondering what the criteria you had in mind?

I do think about size and thickness of the walls and what glass conducts heat well. My 'd-wand' is heavy and insulated, but the bowl I use is probably minimal. In the amount of glass used and large for it's inside volume. Best of both perhaps? The d-wand even fit's further inside the bowl. Because they are both 18 mm generic.
The 'd-wand' has a thick bulb shape near the adapter end that goes into the bowl. So there is a thick hot area of glass just above the wand pack.

Thin glass + time = cracked glass over time = broken glass. Thin glass = thin glass problems.

DD update-
Been using the timer on my Flowermate to know how long to keep my wand pack in. Also giving the wand a 1/4 turn in between draws, so the radiant heat hits another part of wand pack.

@throwawaytre3s - Under $15.00, if you shop around. Just really take the time to measure the angles in your setup. (The wider airpath of the replacement hose between the EQ and "Q" really feeds the Glass Warhammer.) Then use a simple portable to sit upside down and stable above say your water piece. For possibly some minty lemony aftertaste or something clever.:science:.

Last edited:

throwawaytre3s

@throwawaytre3s - Under $15.00, if you shop around. Just really take the time to measure the angles in your setup. (The wider airpath of the replacement hose between the EQ and "Q" really feeds the Glass Warhammer.) Then use a simple portable to sit upside down and stable above say your water piece. For possibly some minty lemony aftertaste or something clever.:science:.

Good to know! I'll have to order one when I pick up my next downstem... I just broke the 14mm one I had. I need another! This may be a little off discussion but I don't know where else to post this question, but my friend vapes my EQ pretty often, but he complains that his eyes burn a lot after. He smokes blunts regularly, so I don't think that's it. He doesn't use eyedrops, so I don't know if that helps, but he said sometimes it does. Anyone know what might be behind this, or how to help it? I've never experienced it at all.

Back on topic though. Speaking of whips and bongs, are there any really nice wands for the EQ? I know some folks use SSV wands, right? Is that just for aesthetic, or no? Because my whip just had an inch and a half small acrylic tube that slides in, since it's an MFLB whip.

elastic.plastic

Looking for interesting people and vapes
new glass folks, i´m loving it!
quality work, really nice blown and build.

http://dhgate.com/product/productdi...tall-glass-bong-mouthpiece&itemcode=262624940

v6xkp83s.jpg
vo9unjju.jpg

CuckFumbustion

As far as your friends reaction, Does your freind's sinuses and eyes water up when this happens? Are his eyes dry burning or a reaction from his eyes watering. Other than that I'm wondering about the vapor irritating his eyes when he perhaps exhales? Outside of the sinuses and dryness of vapor, IDK.
Back on topic though. Speaking of whips and bongs, are there any really nice wands for the EQ? I know some folks use SSV wands, right? Is that just for aesthetic, or no? Because my whip just had an inch and a half small acrylic tube that slides in, since it's an MFLB whip.

The wands @DDave has in his kits are straight no nonsense wands with all the convenience that goes with it. I never used one, but SSV wands are thick. Several adapters that work as wands. But nothing aesthetic or ergonomic comes to mind. Possibly another companies brand beside SSV or DHgate? :shrug:Most folks like clear glass with vapor. Other than getting creative. Perhaps having one hand blown might be worthwhile? After trying this and that, I have some design ideas. :science:
Hey, I found this thread, right here at FC about fake EQs. Thread was locked even though I'm sure the topic comes up every now and then... http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/is-my-new-extreme-q-fake.14356/
Thanks for scouring for that and sharing with us. Especially with sorting out between the color change with the legit EQ's. :tup:

YungLeaner

Just realised the fan icon spins faster depending on its setting, and if you hold the +/- buttons it goes in degree increments.
That's awesome. Using the EQ on fan speed 2 into my FC UFO tonight and wow! Really a testament to the ability of the heater to keep up with a strong draw. I assumed slow and steady was the way to go because I'm used to the underdog, but i tried ripping it and holy shit am i medicated

CuckFumbustion

So Convection and Conduction doesn't cause Combustion? In the EQ I mean.
Not intentionally anyway.:haw: Temperatures and duration being a factor. @OF went over the heat limitations in a more physics based understanding. (Laws of thermodynamics,etc) I touched upon water being removed from the materials making them drier and slightly thinner and less dense which will be enough to ignite a small fleck. Which will send you to the danger zone and cause combustion.:o This is only if you go to the extreme temp range.

YMMV for the next paragraph on all counts except the hard science. :science:
Any setup below 210c may scorch or scorch everything but not combust the materials with the EQ. After that, it depends on your setup and how efficient it is and how further above 210c you are. Stock often needs more heat to be constant. As one example. Other adapters and wands/elbows being another factor. As long as you are below the Auto-ignition zone for your materials, you are safe. Fahrenheit 451 (converted to 232.778C) for paper as being one classic example. The EQ says it can do 260C so you can potentially create a combust situation if you are at 230C+. Again YMMV for what I said earlier.

Speaking of heat issues. I used my only glass elbow for an odd project and it got my newly purchased hose too hot way too soon fro my liking. (It involved bubbling a jar of ISO full of glass and used screens much like a fish tank) Too much concentrated heat even though my silicone hose is rated for 500F (converted to 260C).

I like using my arc of hose with the claisen dropping vapor directly into the water piece. The hose never gets hot and is less likely to get gunked up. due to less restriction.
Found the glass top to an olive oil cruet and with a silicone strip, It plugs the other hole in the claisen adapter. Have another plug/mouthpiece with a nice hole that I can insert instead if I want a carb, Like @Nugg has going in all his setups.:tup:I look at the adapter when I take a draw as a source of entertainment like the cyclone bowl did for me a year ago when I bought the EQ. Only it is much more turbulent. Then it turns all white like a florescent light bulb.:rockon:Eureka, I've turned my adapter into a light source! Now that I understand the EQ's heat scheme a little more, I can get the right plumbing with a near 19mm pathway for a more well controlled extraction. :peace:

scorpioeq

Hey All, For anyone following my misadventures with my EQ bowl temps, I have some updates that might be of interest to all EQ users.

My issue was that the bowl temps do not match what is set on the unit. While in operation (with F1 fan), with the unit set at 325F, the actual bowl temps go anywhere from 355F-400+F depending on how long the bowl has been "warming up".

I sent my unit in to be inspected for authenticity/malfunction to Arizer. The good news is the unit is authentic (phew). The bad/concerning news is Arizer does not measure the actual bowl temperatures during normal use because they consider those temps to be "inaccurate".

As per Arizer, "As Amy explained to you several times, we do not measure the temperature in the bowl because that is an inaccurate reading. Simply set the unit to the temperature you want to use, and then use it."

My question would be, why should the temp in the bowl be "inaccurate"? If the user sets the unit to 325F, there is reasonable expectation that their herb is being heated to 325F during normal use, and not reach 350F-400F+ as in my tests.

Anyhow, based on this, its my conclusion that the EQ is not a reliable device if you want to achieve accurate (or even ballpark) bowl temps.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Last edited:

Kostly3

Wow, 406 pages of People saying things like "Quieter fan would be nice"... and you close my other thread because I don't want to read all of it. Nice...

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Anyhow, based on this, its my conclusion that the EQ is not a reliable device if you want to achieve accurate (or even ballpark) bowl temps.

I don't know of any convection vaporizer that has an accurate temperature reading of the bowl during use. Since temp sensors are necessarily located elsewhere (who wants a probe sticking in their herb chamber anyway?) all temperature readouts are estimates. Furthermore, there is no way to actually estimate what the bowl temp is as draw speed plays a major factor in the actual air temp entering the bowl. Slower draw = hotter temps and vice versa.

So I wouldn't call the EQ unreliable at all. For the price point I think Arizer has made a very reliable convection desktop and that's why it's still selling well after all these years. :2c:

Wow, 406 pages of People saying things like "Quieter fan would be nice"... and you close my other thread because I don't want to read all of it. Nice...
I closed your thread because it was in the wrong section, and you were pointed in the right direction (this thread) to get answers to your questions. If you have a problem with that you can contact me via PM.

:peace:

CuckFumbustion

I don't know of any convection vaporizer that has an accurate temperature reading of the bowl during use. Since temp sensors are necessarily located elsewhere (who wants a probe sticking in their herb chamber anyway?) all temperature readouts are estimates. Furthermore, there is no way to actually estimate what the bowl temp is as draw speed plays a major factor in the actual air temp entering the bowl. Slower draw = hotter temps and vice versa.

So I wouldn't call the EQ unreliable at all. For the price point I think Arizer has made a very reliable convection desktop and that's why it's still selling well after all these years. :2c:
I would add that I have been running my EQ at 200c and have been getting fairly consistent vapor and ABV for weeks.
The type of bowl you use affects how well that unit keeps that temp. The EQ does fine with my short bowl. Not as well with the cyclone. Running a fan take away from that even further.

Agree with @Stu on all points plus I think you would have to have 3 sensors in the herb chamber to get an accurate temp of the bowl. There was a discussion in this thread a few pages back about using sensors elsewhere on the EQ to get more accurate readings. Remain curious as to what you are trying to find out, just keep in mind the physicality of having a probe somewhere.

DD update - Shortened the path between the EQ and the "Q" with a better angled hose arc with less restriction. The silicone hose with the 1/2 I.D. is easy to pull, fix, offset and fit at the needed angles after inserting an adapter to each end. Unstuck two pieces and have an even better short bowl for the EQ to use. It is slightly taller and fits the wands with less sticking. In case you plan on working with generic wands and bowls. Which are sold as 'adapters'. So I adapt them to my EQ.:nod:

Ordered some straight 18mm thick wands and a 19mm enclosure adapter for the EQ. SO I will have another double glass walled wand. But it will be entirely double walled like say a double walled french press. :science:Plan on using different wands for different extractions and other options. :peace:

Last edited:

scorpioeq

I would add that I have been running my EQ at 200c and have been getting fairly consistent vapor and ABV for weeks.
The type of bowl you use affects how well that unit keeps that temp. The EQ does fine with my short bowl. Not as well with the cyclone. Running a fan take away from that even further.

Agree with @Stu on all points plus I think you would have to have 3 sensors in the herb chamber to get an accurate temp of the bowl. There was a discussion in this thread a few pages back about using sensors elsewhere on the EQ to get more accurate readings. Remain curious as to what you are trying to find out, just keep in mind the physicality of having a probe somewhere.

So, I'm only trying to figure out how accurate the bowl temps in the EQ are compared to what is set on the unit. No more, no less. When running the fan, I expect the bowl temps to be close to what is set on the unit.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much from this vape to do that. If I set the unit at 325F, I would expect the herb to be heated close to 325F, and not 360F+ like I'm getting.
I know the EQ is a desktop vape, but I was hoping it could provide accurate bowl temps as the DaVinci Ascent does in this video.

If you are familiar with cannabanoids, you know that different ones are released at different temps. Choosing the right bowl temps is critical to getting only the cannabanoids you want. If you cannot accurately control the bowl temp, you cannot accurately control which cannabanoids are released. Also, when the bowl runs super hot as I've had it do frequently, the vapor takes on a heavier, smokier quality. Imo the whole point of having a vape is to avoid this altogether by producing light, flavorful and easy on the lungs vapor. Having bowl temps too high defeats all of that.

Last edited:

YungLeaner

I've used pretty much every vape under the sun and outside of the Herbalizer I don't think I trust any of them to give me a specific temperature reading that is actually hitting all of the packed weed at the temperature advertised. The Ascent is an conduction vaporizer, so yes, it is not that difficult to accurately determine temperature. Convection vaporizing is an entire different ball game because the heat source is not literally touching the weed or the oven of the weed. As others above mentioned it is needlessly complex and your implication that Arizer is deceitful about this in some way confuses me quite a bit. Look around at the popular vaporizers on this forum. Zion, Underdog, E-Nano, VXL Cloud Evo, Venus Apollo, Grasshopper--none of them offer digital temperature readouts at all.

When you factor in different buds, strains, and crops, the cannabinoid science gets a lot more imprecise.

CuckFumbustion

So, I'm only trying to figure out how accurate the bowl temps in the EQ are compared to what is set on the unit. No more, no less. When running the fan, I expect the bowl temps to be close to what is set on the unit.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much from this vape to do that. If I set the unit at 325F, I would expect the herb to be heated close to 325F, and not 360F+ like I'm getting.
I know the EQ is a desktop vape, but I was hoping it could provide accurate bowl temps as the DaVinci Ascent does in this video.
The video is informative, but not reflective of accurate bowl temps. It might even state that in the vid somewhere. I wouldn't take it at face value in light of what has been said here. But trying to achieve accuracy with any vape is desirable if you are trying to release only certain compounds at certain constant temps.With you there.

The DaVinci all though high marks for bowl accuracy, is a middle weight vape to some people who own and tried several vapes.

You can use whatever glass bowl fits an EQ. So bowl temp readings are a different matter here. Any adapter with a Female 18mm fitting is a canidate. Some absorb and keep heat better than others. A good glass bowl would bring you closer to keeping a constant temp and require less reason to go above the dialed-in temp. Plus you are running a fan as opposed to say a whip. This changes everything up with the glass and pack keeping it's heat. Hope this clears a few things up.

LSS, you can (and I have) gotten more consistent temps with the EQ, which is what your true aim is. Not absolute, but within a narrow range of being acceptable. Any tweaks and mods can bring you closer to the mark with a whip or fan. Just that fan run heat extracts differently and changes the heat dynamics to begin with. You have more control with all things heat with a whip draw. :2c:

Last edited:

scorpioeq

The video is informative, but not reflective of accurate bowl temps. It might even state that in the vid somewhere. I wouldn't take it at face value in light of what has been said here. But trying to achieve accuracy with any vape is desirable if you are trying to release only certain compounds at certain constant temps.With you there.

The DaVinci all though high marks for bowl accuracy, is a middle weight vape to some people who own and tried several vapes.

You can use whatever glass bowl fits an EQ. So bowl temp readings are a different matter here. Any adapter with a Female 18mm fitting is a canidate. Some absorb and keep heat better than others. A good glass bowl would bring you closer to keeping a constant temp and require less reason to go above the dialed-in temp. Plus you are running a fan as opposed to say a whip. This changes everything up with the glass and pack keeping it's heat. Hope this clears a few things up.

LSS, you can (and I have) gotten more consistent temps with the EQ, which is what your true aim is. Not absolute, but within a narrow range of being acceptable. Any tweaks and mods can bring you closer to the mark with a whip or fan. Just that fan run heat extracts differently and changes the heat dynamics to begin with. You have more control with all things heat with a whip draw. :2c:

"
But trying to achieve accuracy with any vape is desirable if you are trying to release only certain compounds at certain constant temps.With you there." This is what I'm trying to achieve. Here's a good video that explains this concept fairly well.

You mention moding the unit to bring the temps closer to what is set on the unit. Do you have links to these mods? I wouldn't mind seeing what they are all about.

Last edited:
scorpioeq,

CuckFumbustion

"
But trying to achieve accuracy with any vape is desirable if you are trying to release only certain compounds at certain constant temps.With you there." This is what I'm trying to achieve. You mention moding the unit to bring the temps closer to what is set on the unit. Do you have links to these mods? I wouldn't mind seeing what they are all about.
Well check my sig for the @DDave mod. He sells kits on ebay that are well sourced bowls screens and wands. If you want a short quick solution. He is a regular on this thread and FC and can help you. Otherwise get to know the EQ and any other vaporizer, like a lot of us have.

I and others have posted some ideas and mods and things on this forum. So you are in the right place.:tup: So are you running the fan to fill a bag or as a sort of test for accuracy with the unit? Are you using standard, I presume?

Top Bottom