The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

MrNorml

I had never really picked up my Q and shook it around a bit with fan on full and shaking the base over the table but thought of this as someone mentioned getting a 'bad' one stuck with product in fan, so I did shake and was amazed. I got almost 1/3 fill of the chamber. I don't know - 2-3 grams? but it would have been a semi-decent joint. So, an occassional shake before the vape might become normal maintenance for me.
On another item - combustioin - I combusted once at or below 230c when I had filled the chamber really quite full of ABV (hence dry dry dry) and turned the fan to 3 to fill a bag. I believe it was from dry and hot and so full no way for anything to spread and cool down. So, that was my combustion story for my Q. And before that was my reminder to perform occassional maintenance and cleaning. And shaking.

MrNorml,

MrNorml

Ok. Today I shook a bit more, and there was more, so I removed the 4 screws and removed the bottom assembly to see circuit boards, wires, and a whole lot of very dried out product inside. I cleaned it out. Then came the reason why, and I think I have it.
I know that from time to time I drop some that goes down the heater element and around it. Sometimes I forget to stop the fan when I remove the joint and it blows and gravity pulls it down the works.
Plus: the thing sits slightly elevated so the fan gets air. I am sometimes perhaps a bit haphazard in letting the 'ready to go' get spread out a little bit. I'm not a perfect pourer. So, anyhow, the product is getting sucked up by the fan into the inside. From the bottom, which is elevated and perhaps draws the product inward toward the fan.
So, it took about 4 minutes to learn to remove the bottom and I think that should be recommended practice to keep the fan clear, to keep components clean, and to keep the thing running well all the time. Every couple months maybe.
Since cleaning mine out, it truly reminds me why I got it and kept it - it is really just like new.

MrNorml,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
When I first used my Extreme, I'd read here about the need to stir. Then I discovered the single most annoying thing about the Extreme, which is that every bowl is an elbow pack after three or four hits. Not only should you stir, you pretty much have to dig out the elbow screen else you'll bust a lung trying to inhale. Clever me thinks to kill two birds with a single stone and hits upon the brilliant idea of blowing back through the whip: clears out the elbow and stirs up the bowl. Cool, huh?

Not really. My heater cover broke for unrelated reasons and when I went to replace it, holy accumulated particulates Batman! The inside was covered with stuff from fine brown kief-like dust to larger almost green particles. What a mess! I retained as much of it as I could because I was sure it had at least as much left in it as the ABV to which it was added. I don't blow back into my whip any more.

My point is that it wouldn't hurt any Extreme owner to open the unit up and see what's in there. You might be surprised.

pakalolo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I still do the "blow back into the whip" to dump an elbow into the cyclone, but I simply have learned to grab the cyclone bowl and lift it off of the heater first. You can actually see the particles flow out of the bottom of the cyclone bowl when you do this. Once you see what gets blown out, you'll never "blowback" without removing the cyclone again. Unless of course you're impaired for some reason. :lol:

Stu,
Edit, figured out the bag system.

As long as I've made a post I'll say I still really like this thing. Even as a dedicated bag blowing unit, I think it can rival or even surpass the Volcano in some respects. The only things that sours the Q at all for me are the knowledge of the airpath and the odd sounds my unit is occasionally making. I've used no other vape except the MFLB for about two days and don't feel deprived at all.

charliedontsurf,
Hey everyone, wonderful community you've got here... :)

I got myself an Extreme Q vaporizer and I have a few questions, hopefully not too difficult to answer.

1a When using it, how much of the herb do you put in? I generally only go half-way...

1b How fine does the grind have to be? Can it be a basic grind, or must be it very fine?

2a Since I can extract different compounds at multiple temperatures (160, 170, 190, et cetera), can I use the same batch of herb for all of these different values, assuming I always increase in temperature?

2b How many times can the same batch of herb be used at each particular temperature?

2c Does the amount of time I vaporize at a particular temperature affect how many times I can vaporize at superior temperatures?

I know these sound like rather retarded questions, but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my herb. :D

Thanks for reading and giving me your thoughts!

CanuckSweedy,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hello and welcome.

I'll try and answer your questions based on my own personal experience with the Q.

1 a) When I first got my Q I made the paper-clip coil modification to the cyclone bowl after a couple of days experimenting. This reduces the herb holding capacity by about 40% and IMO gives a much more even abv, reduces the need for stirring so much and offers another screen barrier.
Now, after a couple of months with my Q I mainly do elbow packs through a small diffused beaker, though I still hit it without the water sometimes. The elbow pack probably uses about 1/3 of the amount compared to the cyclone bowl and IMO is probably the most efficient way to use the Q.

b) I use a medium sized 4 piece with my Q. I find that as you stir the bowls/elbows the dried herb begins to break down anyway, so a really fine grind IMO is unnecessary.

2 a) Yes one bowl can be hit at multiple temps. I regularly start at lower temperatures and slowly build the temperature up. I find that when hitting through water I need to start at slightly higher temperatures, probably due to the water leaching some of the compounds on the way through.

b) That will really be dependent on the quality of your product. The better the quality, the more hits you will get, as a general rule of thumb. I tend to start around 170 c (185 c if through water) and go up in 5 c jumps for each hit and end up hovering around 190 c (200 c for water) as long as I can before the vapor starts to diminish - that's when I'll pop it up to 210 for the last few hits (unless it's near my bed time at which point I'll start at 190 c and put it up to 230 c pretty quickly in 10 c jumps).

c) I'm not 100% sure I get what you mean. I think your asking if there are a set amount of hits per load, regardless of temperature. My opinion of that is - not exactly but almost. I think that the more hits you take at lower temps will definitely reduce the amount of hits left at higher temps. However, if you stay on, say, 170 c till there is no more visible vapor and then crank it up to 230 c you will get visible vapor again IME for a few more hits. If I then use the same product in a new bowl and start at 230 c I will get multiple hits.

I hope that answers your questions. Do bare in mind that this is just my own experience with this machine and others may have different opinions. Have fun :)

Edit: As moodswing says, read through the Q thread for a really in-depth understanding of multiple peoples experiences with the Q. I did and was definitely wiser after.

J.R.R.Tokin',
Thank you, J.R.R.Tokin' and moodswing.

I'll check the FAQ along with any other information that gets posted in here. ;)

CanuckSweedy,

Beardharmonica

I'm not sure if it's been told already. I found a cheap source for the tube.

6$ for 10 feet at canadian tire, they have the same spec written on them except for the diameter.

I like my vaporizer very clean and it took me a while to find these cheap.

Beardharmonica,

franky2222

Hey is this good vape for 250 shipped or should i get the 600$ vo
Lcano. What are the pros and cons..
Thanks FC

franky2222,

Beardharmonica

The biggest pro for Extreme Q is the ability to do whip and bag.

Bag is good for party and when you begin vaporizing.

When you get more experienced you really will want to use a whip system. The taste is far superior.

Beardharmonica,

thecragus

franky2222 said:
Hey is this good vape for 250 shipped or should i get the 600$ vo
Lcano. What are the pros and cons..
Thanks FC
I think it depends on usage IMHO. If you want a "party vape" (about four people or more), I'd go with the Cano as it can blow bags very quickly and can keep up with a party. For personal use with two people or less, I'd go with the Q as it is more efficient, especially when using the "elbow pack". And then there's the Solo .... ;-)

thecragus,
I'd go Q, period. You can also get it cheaper than 250 if you look around.

The only real downfall of the Ex-Q as a party vape versus the Volcano is the lack of a valve system (not a big deal), and a fill speed which is maybe half as fast as a mint-condition Cano. This can be easily overcome by having a larger bag, or by having two bags in circulation, so that one is filling as the other is making its round. I find the actual vapor quality to be similar, and I prefer the versatility of the Extreme Q. It can achieve higher temperatures than the Volcano and so is markedly better for solid and liquid concentrates. Not to mention the money you'll save.

Oils work amazing, for those that haven't tried. Just soak some onto a few balled up screens or a clean cotton ball, then blow bags at 500 degrees.

Can the Extreme Q really have the kind of heat retention that the display indicates? It's downright heroic. You can take the largest rope in creation and it'll drop about two degrees before immediately recovering. If you increase the heat while it's blowing a bag at the highest setting, it just climbs and climbs despite the airflow over the element.

charliedontsurf,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
It's actually the temperature of the ceramic heater that is displayed on the LCD screen. If you draw from whip that temperature doesn't drop much or at all. But if you draw too fast, the air is just not getting enough heat from that ceramic because it flows so fast it's in contact with ceramic only for a very short time. So insted of excellent heat retention I think it's more like it desn't have enough conductivity from heating element to air. IMO VXC or Supreme have this conductivity much higher (Cloud has also that retention so it should be superior in heat transfer)

Seek,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
I love my EQV... it rocks!!! I only use it with my glass collection these days and generally have it cranked up to 210C to get the best hits. I have followed this thread since the beginning and I have gone thru nearly every mod and iteration of use with it, and it is the MOST versatile vape for the money. It's actually funny that these days the Solo could actually cost you more that a brand new Q on the open market. If you are going to buy a vape for home/desktop use this is the one. :2c:

Bluntcrush,

KimDracula

Bluntcrush, you have my thanks. Your signature forced a couple chuckles outta me almost before I realized it was funny, if that makes any sense... Probably not, oh well. :lol:

KimDracula,

KimDracula

finchrock24 said:
pakalolo is right, if you blow into the whip, particulates will fall through the screen and end up inside your vape. Does this really mean anything? No...not really. It won't hurt the unit but I'd imagine it can not be good for it. It is very easy to open up the EQ (only 8 screws in total) and unless your mechanically challenged, it is VERY easy to open up the Q from the bottom and blow some air in their with a compressor or just using your mouth.

I have noticed that if weed particulates fall into the vape, whenever you turn said vape on, it makes the room smell like a dispensary.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the problem I've been having. Seems pretty common. I was starting to suspect just because it seems like it's impossible not to get some particles down there. Now I get that common high pitch noise that some complain about, and you start to get that smell. I'm gonna have to try cleaning mine out. Turning it upside down isn't really enough.

KimDracula,

KimDracula

That was really easy, as promised. I just unscrewed the bottom (four screws) and that's where I found a bit of herb caked around the edges on the bottom there. It was trapped and couldn't come out when I would upend it to try to shake it out. Hopefully this will take care of the extra smell and the whine. I kinda like the smell, actually, but I'd rather keep it clean and less MJ smell is nice for standard use.

Thanks to previous posters. I tend to be loathe to try and open up purchased electronics unless I'm really sure it's simple and I can get it back together without trouble.

So do most people think this detritus gathers because of the flawed technique of blowing back thru the whip to clear the elbow screen during a stir or empty? Because it blows stuff through the screen? I hadn't considered that before, but I guess it makes sense since you're not normally forcing air that way. I had begun to make a habit of using a couple small puffs thru the whip to clear it out and was able to do it without disturbing what was left in the cyclone bowl so much that it came out, but I guess I may have blown some thru after all.

KimDracula,

Bluntcrush

KimDracula said:
Bluntcrush, you have my thanks. Your signature forced a couple chuckles outta me almost before I realized it was funny, if that makes any sense... Probably not, oh well. :lol:

Glad I got a smile outta ya!!! Cheers to you and welcome to FC!! :D

Bluntcrush,

Bluntcrush

Ok everyone, I am taking a poll:

Do you think its okay to leave the Extreme Q "on" (with timer set) nearly all of the time so that it is ready when I want it, or will I be damaging (shortening it's life) by leaving it on all of the time. Someone from Arizer please feel free to answer as well!

Hope you all have a rockin' and extra cloudy day!!!:D

Bluntcrush,

damienm420

Bluntcrush said:

Do you think its okay to leave the Extreme Q "on" (with timer set) nearly all of the time so that it is ready when I want it, or will I be damaging (shortening it's life) by leaving it on all of the time. Someone from Arizer please feel free to answer as well!

Just email Arizer directly.

damienm420,

MrNorml

damienm420 said:
Bluntcrush said:

Just email Arizer directly.

Since it is ok to have it run for 4 hours per timer, and it's ok to restart it if the timer shuts it off, my vote would be "yes, you can leave it on". I often do. Perhaps I will have to replace a heater element at some time, but so far I have seen zero bad from leaving it on.

MrNorml,

DrSpottyBeard72

The last couple weekends i have been absolutely loving my Eq,i received my second glass piece ever, which is half the size of my first-
463.jpg

Have to say this piece^^ recommended by (HighlyEducatedScholar) works amazingly with my Eq get a nice bubbling water hit :D The first glass i bought was over twice in size, which would be ideal for Combustion but through the Eq it took a hefty puff to get there, although it still worked :cool:

DrSpottyBeard72,
Top Bottom