The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
SD_haze said:
Hi extreme-q thread :)

While window shopping @ aqualabtech, I came accross a glass accessory specifically made for the arizer extreme.
Kind of like a mini hydra tube.

Crazy expensive but it is a glass collaboration between two big big glassblowers (D-wreck and Hops, inventor of the inline percolator) and its sandblasted so there you go.

You don't often see major glass blowers working on vaporizer-specific stuff so it really excited me when I found it. Hope this becomes a trend that continues and expands big time!

Since it has standard ground glass joints I can definitely see it working with other vaporizers, but it does look pretty sexy on the extreme.

Sexy, yes. But, ouch, expensive. I have to wonder though about the drag with that attached whip. I'm using the Headford 11-slit inline bubbler connected with a short piece of 3/8" ID silicone, very little drag and less than half the price.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

MrNorml said:
MrNorml said:
Today I decided to add some glassware to my Q.
Wow. Was that easy.
I took the long whip, which terminates in a glass mouthpiece, and I placed that mouthpiece into the short balloon whip. At that point I had everything needed to go from Q output to glass input. Didn't need the extra tubing. Didn't need any more elbow joints. I literally already had everything I needed because it all came with the Q.
Well, that was sure easier than I had anticipated.

and it looked like this. http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1456/qtoflawless.jpg

Nice. Wouldn't the draw be easier if you shortened the tubing?

oldiebutgoodie,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Hey guys, I've been using the EQ since September 2010 and I'm loving it.

I recently had had my heat cover glass broken...the top has been shattered but not 100% as I can still place the screen on top of the heater cover and the bowl still gets hot...
You think this effect the vapor quality? that I must have a new cover? the cost of new one plus shipping is a bit high...

Also did anyone notice any difference in the vapor thickness if I use a longer tube ? or if the tube is not holding the elbow and mouthpiece to strong?

Thanks for your help

m0sh,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
For cooling down, a feet of tubing is all you need i think. Longer makes it only condense more and the taste get worse.

Seek,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
m0sh said:

I recently had had my heat cover glass broken...the top has been shattered but not 100% as I can still place the screen on top of the heater cover and the bowl still gets hot...
You think this effect the vapor quality? that I must have a new cover? the cost of new one plus shipping is a bit high...

Also did anyone notice any difference in the vapor thickness if I use a longer tube ? or if the tube is not holding the elbow and mouthpiece to strong?

Thanks for your help

I use a longer whip. I can't see a difference in vapour density but as Seek points out, the longer it is the more area there is on which vapour will condense, so the density must decline somewhat. I haven't noticed any difference in taste, but in theory what Seek says makes sense: the shorter your flow path is, the less flavour you should lose.

I wouldn't use a broken heater cover because there is a chance of inhaling glass particles. When mine broke, I contacted Arizer and the first thing they told me was to stop using the unit. Incidentally, if you are concerned about vapour density then note that your vapour will be thinner because the break allows more air into the path.

pakalolo,

oldiebutgoodie

The only difference I notice with a longer whip is the drag, especially since I pull thru a bubbler. Of course, being an oldie it's likely that I'm more sensitive to that compared to you young bucks. :)

oldiebutgoodie,

m0sh

pakalolo said:
m0sh said:

Thanks for your help

I use a longer whip. I can't see a difference in vapour density but as Seek points out, the longer it is the more area there is on which vapour will condense, so the density must decline somewhat. I haven't noticed any difference in taste, but in theory what Seek says makes sense: the shorter your flow path is, the less flavour you should lose.

I wouldn't use a broken heater cover because there is a chance of inhaling glass particles. When mine broke, I contacted Arizer and the first thing they told me was to stop using the unit. Incidentally, if you are concerned about vapour density then note that your vapour will be thinner because the break allows more air into the path.

Thanks for the info, I noticed that my room is super cold this winter and it really affects vapor quality

They did told me to stop using it but I just couldn't resist and I know that what ever happens is my responsibility

My glass cover broke by half and there's no small particles but I will be ordering a new one...I just thought I'd wait a bit longer for the cloud but I shouldn't delay myself...

Using 2meters tubing (replace for 1.5m and thicker yet smaller tube)

m0sh,

Kaptan

m0sh said:
pakalolo said:
m0sh said:

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the info, I noticed that my room is super cold this winter and it really affects vapor quality

They did told me to stop using it but I just couldn't resist and I know that what ever happens is my responsibility

My glass cover broke by half and there's no small particles but I will be ordering a new one...I just thought I'd wait a bit longer for the cloud but I shouldn't delay myself...

Using 2meters tubing (replace for 1.5m and thicker yet smaller tube)

Try eBay for the heater cover. They are only $25 shipped. Good luck.

Kaptan,

oldiebutgoodie

Kaptan said:
m0sh said:
pakalolo said:

I strongly advise not to use your Q until you have replaced the heater cover. Even though you cannot see any particles does not mean that there aren't any. Depending on the type of glass, it is possible for there to be extremely small shards that are very difficult to see. IMO it is not worth the risk. Good luck.

oldiebutgoodie,

MrNorml

SD_haze said:
Hi extreme-q thread :)

While window shopping @ aqualabtech, I came accross a glass accessory specifically made for the arizer extreme.
Kind of like a mini hydra tube.

Crazy expensive but it is a glass collaboration between two big big glassblowers (D-wreck and Hops, inventor of the inline percolator) and its sandblasted so there you go.

V-tower circ adaptor #1
v-tower circ adaptor #2 (same function)

You don't often see major glass blowers working on vaporizer-specific stuff so it really excited me when I found it. Hope this becomes a trend that continues and expands big time!

http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/...6f020e43594a9c230972d/a/l/alt_12-8-11-259.jpg

Since it has standard ground glass joints I can definitely see it working with other vaporizers, but it does look pretty sexy on the extreme.

How would the screen (that would normally be in the elbow) be inserted to prevent material from just going on up the cool glassware? Here is an inexpensive glycerin tube which is 'end of stock' sold for 24 bux. http://lifesabervaporizer.com/lsv-glass/glycerin-cooling/lsv-vapor-tamer.html (I am still not sure where a screen could go to prevent material just getting sucked through the tubing)

MrNorml,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i think it should be the same, attached to the 18mm male joint. (the part that attaches to the bowl)

ilovebOObs,

MrNorml

Well, not sure how I'm going to deal with the screen issue yet, but I ordered a green one of these:
http://lifesabervaporizer.com/lsv-glass/glycerin-cooling/lsv-vapor-tamer.html
and will report when I have it.
It is on close-out sale so get 'em while they last.
Here is what I mean by screen issue: I am figuring the cyclone bowl will sit on top Q, Glass-erin object sits on top of that, terminating in female connector which will fit the whip elbow. But that cyclone bowl - has a screen above the smaller hole, plant goes on top - now, normally next thing is screen to elbow, but since no elbow no screen there - no screen to keep material out of Glass-erin cooler - there should be a screen preventing material from going into Glass-erine cooler. This situates the cooler I guess upside-down but makes all connections consistent with what's there already. It keeps the plant where it has to be with the glass that is there. Perhaps an elbow screen will fit there - hope so I guess, as that would I believe solve the problem.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/MrNormlAZ/Q-to-Glass-erine-to-whip.jpg shows how I imagine it.

MrNorml,

m0sh

oldiebutgoodie said:
Kaptan said:
m0sh said:

I strongly advise not to use your Q until you have replaced the heater cover. Even though you cannot see any particles does not mean that there aren't any. Depending on the type of glass, it is possible for there to be extremely small shards that are very difficult to see. IMO it is not worth the risk. Good luck.

Ordered a new one via Ebay...arizer wanted 10 more bucks for it...
thanks for the input

EDIT: apart from the risk of inhaling shattered glass, can the heater sustain damage because of the broken cover?

m0sh,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
The heater is big solid ceramic piece. I think it can hardly break. But I would be worried about that glass shards or air leaks.

Seek,

m0sh

Seek said:
The heater is big solid ceramic piece. I think it can hardly break. But I would be worried about that glass shards or air leaks.

Well for some reason I am not...but I'm feeling stupid that I waited 2 weeks to order this...

Vaping now is def with more air to vapor ratio and in the winter time, I always had problems vaping when its cold (5c-10c in the room), is that normal for all of you?

m0sh,

MrNorml

oldiebutgoodie said:
MrNorml said:
MrNorml said:
Today I decided to add some glassware to my Q.
Wow. Was that easy.
I took the long whip, which terminates in a glass mouthpiece, and I placed that mouthpiece into the short balloon whip. At that point I had everything needed to go from Q output to glass input. Didn't need the extra tubing. Didn't need any more elbow joints. I literally already had everything I needed because it all came with the Q.
Well, that was sure easier than I had anticipated.

and it looked like this. http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1456/qtoflawless.jpg

Could well be; I was using the whips that came with the Q standard. Also, I did hit the fan to eithe 1 or 2 which seemed to assist. It works well.

MrNorml,

KimDracula

It seems I'm still having a problem with my unit. They're minor but irritating because I know it shouldn't be doing these things. Still getting high-pitched noise intermittently (not loud, but it is supposed to be Extreme'ly Q-uiet) and still getting a constant smell. It literally smells like a dispensary where the vape is. I've removed the bottom of the unit and did find a small amount of bud that had gotten into the bottom of the works and I removed that as well as upending the unit and giving a gentle shake as recommended. I don't want to disassemble the unit any further. Anyone know what's likely to cause these things? Where is this bud I am smelling? It's gotta be caught somewhere, but where?

Thanks in advance for any input. The problem is minor for me, but I have seen several others complain about these things so I thought I'd try here first. Now I'll try Arizer support and see what they say.

KimDracula,

oldiebutgoodie

MrNorml said:
oldiebutgoodie said:
MrNorml said:

Could well be; I was using the whips that came with the Q standard. Also, I did hit the fan to eithe 1 or 2 which seemed to assist. It works well.

A 3ft whip can also add a bit of condensation and dilution, although this is a subjective thing and so YMMV. I also occasionally use the fan. Just fyi, I checked with Arizer about that and they recommended not leaving the fan running after taking a hit, as the water chamber creates back pressure making the fan have to work harder. So they recommended toggling the fan off and on between hits. I do that if I'm going to be taking a few minutes between hits, but to me it's a PITA because if you don't lift the end of the whip and wait to see vapor, when you hit again you're initially pulling air from the whip. So I tend to leave the fan running on speed 1 and take no more than a minute between hits, that way there's no real back-pressure yet there will actually bit some vapor build-up in the whip.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

KimDracula said:
It seems I'm still having a problem with my unit. They're minor but irritating because I know it shouldn't be doing these things. Still getting high-pitched noise intermittently (not loud, but it is supposed to be Extreme'ly Q-uiet) and still getting a constant smell. It literally smells like a dispensary where the vape is. I've removed the bottom of the unit and did find a small amount of bud that had gotten into the bottom of the works and I removed that as well as upending the unit and giving a gentle shake as recommended. I don't want to disassemble the unit any further. Anyone know what's likely to cause these things? Where is this bud I am smelling? It's gotta be caught somewhere, but where?

Thanks in advance for any input. The problem is minor for me, but I have seen several others complain about these things so I thought I'd try here first. Now I'll try Arizer support and see what they say.

Perhaps some material is getting past the screen? After a session have you lifted the bowl to see if any material is on the top of the element? If so, it could also be spilling down around the element. I shape my screen concave and place it in the bowl dome up for a snug fit, tucked in with the glass stir stick. With finely ground material, after it breaks down over a session a very small amount still gets thru the screen. I keep a can of compressed air and use a quick shot to blow off the element every session.

oldiebutgoodie,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
KimDracula said:

CAn't speak to the high pitched noise because I have not experienced it firsthand, but I would recommend unhooking the whip rather than leaving it attached all of the time. A bunch of stuff collects inside the whip (and stinks) especially when left attached to an EQ that is heated up. I can smell an old whip from 10 feet (no joke) So because of that fact, I change mine every 10 days or so.

Hope this helps! :peace:

Bluntcrush,

oldiebutgoodie

Bluntcrush said:
KimDracula said:

CAn't speak to the high pitched noise because I have not experienced it firsthand, but I would recommend unhooking the whip rather than leaving it attached all of the time. A bunch of stuff collects inside the whip (and stinks) especially when left attached to an EQ that is heated up. I can smell an old whip from 10 feet (no joke) So because of that fact, I change mine every 10 days or so.

Hope this helps! :peace:

That's a good point. I also noticed in the pic that you have a lot of resin build-up in the whip; that could be a factor. Some users harvest the resin and clean the whip. I bought a 25' length of 3/8" medical grade silicone tubing from Amazon and periodically just replace the whip (another reason I use a shorter length).

oldiebutgoodie,

MrNorml

oldiebutgoodie said:
MrNorml said:
oldiebutgoodie said:

A 3ft whip can also add a bit of condensation and dilution, although this is a subjective thing and so YMMV. I also occasionally use the fan. Just fyi, I checked with Arizer about that and they recommended not leaving the fan running after taking a hit, as the water chamber creates back pressure making the fan have to work harder. So they recommended toggling the fan off and on between hits. I do that if I'm going to be taking a few minutes between hits, but to me it's a PITA because if you don't lift the end of the whip and wait to see vapor, when you hit again you're initially pulling air from the whip. So I tend to leave the fan running on speed 1 and take no more than a minute between hits, that way there's no real back-pressure yet there will actually bit some vapor build-up in the whip.

Thanks for the heads-up.

MrNorml,

jackass20

Hi guys

Have never posted on a forum like this before however I really wanted to discuss some points about this vaporizer.

Basically I have owned this vaporizer for well over a year unfortunately It only ever provided about 2 months of use till it was retired into storage box. I really dig the fact that you dont have to stir. The extreme was set up in the lounge and my old vaporizer (vaporite hyper) was left in my office.

What I observed with the extreme is that it didnt take long at all to reach temperature but to pre heat the herbs and the glass could take approx 10-20 minutes (20 minutes being denser vapour). Unfortunately this never provided near as dense and satisfying vapour (even with elbow packing) as the vapourite which was half the price. Determined not to let this vaporizer fail I modified it by creating a stand that would allow the vaporizer to sit on its side and used the whip from my other vaporizer(standard vaporizing whip)to ensure the herb got much closer to the heating element, this cut down heating times but was still not providing near enough dense vapour. Yes it did mean that some herb was going to fall into the unit and glass cover but at this point it didnt matter because i had a spare glass cover and I had the ol trusty vaporite.

I understand that density is not everything however when using a whip style vaporizer I believe that density is an important point, it allows you to use less product to achieve desired results.

What I noticed (when the heating elements glass cover broke and had to replace the parts) is that the element was very small and ofcourse incased in a glass cover. The vaporite has a ceramic element that is much bigger, basically the size of the glass cover of the extreme (hence why the whips were interchangable).

My conclusion: I still dont have any ill feelings towards the extreme, i love the features it has but when stood up against a cheaper vaporizer it just doesnt provide the density im used to therefore not leaving much use for me. Is it possible that because the ceramic element is much thinner the radius of its heat energy will be much smaller ? Is this why the vaporite provides such thick hits? Could it be the glass cover on the extreme acting as a heat buffer? Please dont take this post the wrong way because if i found a way to mimic the density on the vaporite I would gladly retire it.

Anyways am I just crazy or has anyone observed similar? I have been vaping for many years and at a time built a very decent Bag style vaporizer (so although not a genius I am no beginner)

I hope this post is received in the right light; anyways all the best Im glad that there are a lot of other vapers out there.

jackass20,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
^^ Sorry to hear your troubles. Honestly IMO I think you had a defective unit from the get go. I put my EQ on for 2 minutes, load an elbow and let sit on the cyclone bowl for 15 seconds and get a nice rip first time.

J.R.R.Tokin',
Top Bottom