The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
ExQ2HiSi said:
do you guys only fill bags to a certain point?

Myself, no. I fill the bag all the way. Using Fan 1, that means that when it gets to ~95% I need to up the fan to push the bag out (or maybe I'm just impatient), but regardless that shouldn't be much of a factor in density. And, I recall seeing any other posts indicating partial fills. I always stir and/or re-stock the bowl with each bag to ensure I can get a solid full bag load. When I initially used the bag, before going to the whip, I didn't use an elbow-pack given that the consensus was that the pack was really intended for achieving big bong-style hits off the whip. And I did notice that the bag didn't deliver the punch that the whip did, which is of course one reason why many switch from bag to whip (although I learned later you can still get where you want to go with the bag, albeit a bit slower). So I started using the bag along with an elbow-pack plus a small amt in the cyclone, expecting that this would result in more vapor density (just as it produces with the whip). I'm still experimenting with this approach, especially after having been thrown the curve above :D by @Purpl3_Haz3 . . .

I've been seeking the strongest possible hit achievable with the least level of heat, easiest draw, and in particular, dryness. When I combusted, typically the discomfort was due to the heat, i.e., too hard/long a draw thus pulling the flame. I'm sure dryness was a factor there, but completely overshadowed by the raw burn from the extra combustion. With vaping, I strongly suspect that, while heat can be an irritant for me if I go >210, my real challenge is with the dryness (which as I mentioned above, reduces my ability to comfortably pull). What I'm not sure about is the correlation between vapor density and dryness, i.e., while I would expect the latter to follow the former, does it do so linearly, to what extent to other factors play, etc.? So I'm not sure which is easier on my tubes, a higher number of more shallow draws from a higher air/vapor ratio mix or fewer draws from more dense vapor. @Purpl3_Haz3's posts got me thinking more about this, aside from the seeming air/vapor ratio contradiction in his results. And then there are other variables in how I vape, whether whip or bag, such as water filtration/cooling. So having had my Q for ~a month now, I'm still experimenting, looking for the best possible technique.

What I can say unequivocally is that the near and long term health advantages, let alone finding the most comfortable process and enjoyable experience, make the extra effort worth it. While the learning is a bit fun, in truth it can also be somewhat frustrating. No matter, in the end still worth the investment of time and effort.

Again, just my :2c: . . . well, maybe 2 x :2c:

oldiebutgoodie,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
oldiebutgoodie said:
ExQ2HiSi said:
do you guys only fill bags to a certain point?

Myself, no. I fill the bag all the way. Using Fan 1, that means that when it gets to ~95% I need to up the fan to push the bag out (or maybe I'm just impatient), but regardless that shouldn't be much of a factor in density. And, I recall seeing any other posts indicating partial fills. I always stir and/or re-stock the bowl with each bag to ensure I can get a solid full bag load. When I initially used the bag, before going to the whip, I didn't use an elbow-pack given that the consensus was that the pack was really intended for achieving big bong-style hits off the whip. And I did notice that the bag didn't deliver the punch that the whip did, which is of course one reason why many switch from bag to whip (although I learned later you can still get where you want to go with the bag, albeit a bit slower). So I started using the bag along with an elbow-pack plus a small amt in the cyclone, expecting that this would result in more vapor density (just as it produces with the whip). I'm still experimenting with this approach, especially after having been thrown the curve above :D by @Purpl3_Haz3 . . .

I've been seeking the strongest possible hit achievable with the least level of heat, easiest draw, and in particular, dryness. When I combusted, typically the discomfort was due to the heat, i.e., too hard/long a draw thus pulling the flame. I'm sure dryness was a factor there, but completely overshadowed by the raw burn from the extra combustion. With vaping, I strongly suspect that, while heat can be an irritant for me if I go >210, my real challenge is with the dryness (which as I mentioned above, reduces my ability to comfortably pull). What I'm not sure about is the correlation between vapor density and dryness, i.e., while I would expect the latter to follow the former, does it do so linearly, to what extent to other factors play, etc.? So I'm not sure which is easier on my tubes, a higher number of more shallow draws from a higher air/vapor ratio mix or fewer draws from more dense vapor. @Purpl3_Haz3's posts got me thinking more about this, aside from the seeming air/vapor ratio contradiction in his results. And then there are other variables in how I vape, whether whip or bag, such as water filtration/cooling. So having had my Q for ~a month now, I'm still experimenting, looking for the best possible technique.

What I can say unequivocally is that the near and long term health advantages, let alone finding the most comfortable process and enjoyable experience, make the extra effort worth it. While the learning is a bit fun, in truth it can also be somewhat frustrating. No matter, in the end still worth the investment of time and effort.

Again, just my :2c: . . . well, maybe 2 x :2c:

I hear ya...as fun as finding a new method that totally rocks is, the trial and error isn't always so joyous.

Just for giggles, OBG, why don't you weigh out two 'bowls', depending on your needs/supply. (amount per bowl shouldn't matter as long as they're both the same). Put the Q at 220c or your preferred max temp. Pack the first bowl (cyclone, not elbow) and fill a bag at speed 3 the whole way. Then do the same with the second bowl on speed 1. The only variable left now would be the time you allow the herb to 'percolate' before filling the bag. Tis is the one thing i haven't come to a solid opinion on, whether or not to let the herb pre heat, or just go. The unit and glass on the other hand, i let heat up thouroughly.

Purpl3_Haz3,

ExQ2HiSi

just got off work.....the wife and i are ripped off a couple bags, single half cyclone bowl.

yet another question to you guys, How often are you cleaning the bowl screens? I'm pretty anal about clogged screens and if I feel noticeable drag on the short hose I usually do a quick drop in heated ISO. Did that before these last bags, it makes a good difference, but it hasn't been but a few days since I last did an ISO cleaning, I alternate between 2 bowl screens then clean.

the cyclone bowl stays pretty clean and I haven't even needed to clean that yet.

Are you guys collecting the brown honey that forms around the elbow and hose? How?

ExQ2HiSi,

warren79

Davy Jones said:
Ordered my EQ from amazon Thursday & it arrived Saturday, good service & fast shipping. This is our first time vaping & have mixed feelings, the wife tried it for a day then went back to joints, I gave it two days & went to the roor. The EQ vaporizer is an awesome machine, I think its just us, plus I'm rethinking the quality of the weed I'm growing, in glass spoons or J's it has a nice potent, kinda sweet spicy taste, its an unknown clone. Normally I would pack a bowl & hit it a couple times & kinda zombie out in front of the tv & lose about 15min & hit it again, then be done. I've done extensive research for a few weeks before deciding on the EQ, & it seemed to be the perfect fit for me & the wife, we only toke & home & only in the room. Anyway I followed all the preheat instruction, packed the cyclone bowl, let it warm up for a few & took the first hit, I have to say the first hit was awesome, after over 25 years of getting high that was a first, then it started to taste like popcorn, & I was going through quite & bit of bud trying to figure it out. The wife occasionally has slight asthma issues & finds it hard to get anything through the whip, she actually runs out of lung, we turned the heat up to 220/230c but was burning the bud too fast & getting the popcorn taste. After a couple day's we were wanting that combustion I guess...I dont know, pretty disappointed...not in the EQ, that thing does what it says it does & to be honest I havent givin it fair shot, I can see why it gets good reviews, its a dang sweet device, I'm affraid we might be too old school & need that fire, its like thats what are doing it for more than anything else. The buzz was different through the vape, sometimes, I'll chop a harvest before amber trichs to counter the couchlock of my grow, reminded me sorta of the vape buzz, & right now I have to put the vape aside for a while because my stash is getting low, cant figure out why I was going through so much bud, I thought I would be able to hit it once or twice & walk away satisfied. So I'm going to wait for the next harvest & maybe hide the spoons bongs & lighters for at least a week & give this thing another shot.
I was thinking of lifting the screen, or elbow loads...but at this point I dont think either will do. I hate to come off negative, like I said, this is a user problem...not the EQ. btw, the wife did a little research & said she thinks I should have considered the SSV or the DBV, & I sellected the eq thinking of what she would like, typicle mistake right there. Anyway, not giving up on vaporizing, just need more time with it.

If you want to go back to smoking J's give the EQ 1 more try. Pack the elbow and turn the heat up to FULL 260 c - since you combusting I don't think this would be a problem. Blow a bag with it on fan speed 3 - by doing this Im sure you wil instantly change your mind.

I also find it difficult to use the whip but my reason is that I vape 80% cheap weed which I use as a sandwhich with some hard grainy hash inbetween.When I can afford some dank I use the whip but it requires one to inhale rather deeply - gets me super fucking stoned.

Last weekend I used about 0.2g shawg + 0.2g hash - used the whip over a 20min period on 225 degrees C.....I was never in my life as stoned before.Having closed eye visuals(CEVs).Colors, geometric patterns,nature visuals,shapes...it was WOW.It was my most awsome experiance with weed ever and the next morning I had no body high hang over.I felt as if I hadn't been high the night before.I would usualy feel pretty shit the next day,tired with bags under my eyes.

warren79,

oldiebutgoodie

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Just for giggles, OBG, why don't you weigh out two 'bowls', depending on your needs/supply. (amount per bowl shouldn't matter as long as they're both the same). Put the Q at 220c or your preferred max temp. Pack the first bowl (cyclone, not elbow) and fill a bag at speed 3 the whole way. Then do the same with the second bowl on speed 1. The only variable left now would be the time you allow the herb to 'percolate' before filling the bag. Tis is the one thing i haven't come to a solid opinion on, whether or not to let the herb pre heat, or just go. The unit and glass on the other hand, i let heat up thouroughly.

I'm gonna do that. But first a question to you and @warren79 (and anyone else) . . .

Going back over your posts, I noticed you remarked that elbow-packing didn't seem to work as well with the bag. @warren79, your last post conversely suggests the opposite.

So I went back to Steve's recommended procedure for using the elbow-pack, as well as his reply to our colleague who came up with the paper-clip bowl screen lifting technique which he and a few others strongly feel is an improvement and even as effective as the elbow-pack.

Just trying to put the data points together. First, re lifting the screen, Steve rather strongly replied that this doesn't make any difference. But an interesting detail in that response was that the elbow screen's very small mesh creates back-pressure, thus distributing the hot air back through the bowl and creating the cyclone effect. Second, Steve's procedure for elbow-packing suggests leaving the bowl empty and inhaling for a big hit. I gather from this that an elbow-pack, while providing a large direct hit, also somewhat neuters the cyclone effect and requires a stronger draw - after all, there is already resistance in the elbow screen and with it being packed, even more resistance.

Now add the fan into the equation. I know that even with an elbow-pack plus herb in the bowl, the fan will still push vapor through the whip. However, it would seem logical that with the additional resistance the fan's airflow would be reduced, perhaps even creating back-pressure to the fan itself and/or making the fan work harder (the airflow moves up through the center of the heating element, so if there is a decent seal where the bowl sits on the element, there should be no escape). In Steve's elbow-pack procedure he unfortunately doesn't mention the fan one way or the other, but he does describe using finely ground herb or even powder.

So I come back to the bag, where the air flow is entirely done by the fan. There is no user taking a strong hit in place of or to supplement the fan. While there is the potential for greater vapor density given the additional material in the elbow, at the same time the fan flow is being retarded. Conceivably, and especially with a powder pack, the resistance could be stronger than the fan - especially if just Fan 1 - creating unwanted back-pressure, possibly even enough to cause vapor escape back through the airflow pathway.

I may just be over-engineering this question. On the other hand, if elbow-packing is counter-productive when used along with the fan, especially with the bag method where there is no user pull to assist, that would be good to know.

Thoughts? Might this be a fair question to put to Steve?

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

ExQ2HiSi said:
just got off work.....the wife and i are ripped off a couple bags, single half cyclone bowl.

Sounds about right.

ExQ2HiSi said:
yet another question to you guys, How often are you cleaning the bowl screens?

Of course this depends on frequency of use, composition of material, etc. For me, the screens (I use 2) at the bottom of the cyclone don't need cleaning that often. I see very little resin buildup and no clogging even after repeated use.

Not so with the elbow. Even if not packing it, sometimes some of my material gets pulled up into the dome (typically if using the whip or Fan 3). If using just the Cyclone, it usually lasts the session or I may swap it out 1 time. If elbow-packing, I swap to a clean dome with every new pack.

oldiebutgoodie,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
ExQ2HiSi said:
yet another question to you guys, How often are you cleaning the bowl screens?

I've just gone through the bottom of my stash, which includes all the kief that has fallen to the bottom. I find that this sort of kief-heavy/sticky material requires that I swap out elbow screens every time I load the cyclone bowl. I don't do elbow packs but stuff collects there anyway and I have to dig out the elbow three or four times per bowl. I have to do this regardless of the type of weed, but until I got to the sticky stuff I could get a couple or three cyclone bowls per elbow screen.

Anyway as oldiebutgoodie said, the cyclone screens don't clog but the elbow screens do all the time. A clogged elbow screen reduces performance significantly.

pakalolo,

ExQ2HiSi

@oldie and @pakalolo - thanks for that! good to hear that others are cleaning about the same, some even more frequently. and to clearify I am mainly talking about the elbow screen; "bowl screen" as in the shape :lol:

but yeah, don't was a good bowl of herb on a clogged elbow screen. like I said, heated ISO cleans in seconds. much faster than cleaning my old pipes and bong bowls

ExQ2HiSi,
Hey thanks for the reply's & tips guys...it is much appreciated. I've kinda gathered myself & picked my head up, lol. The main reason I sellected the EQ was the bag, I thought the wife would dig that feature, figured she could do house stuff while puffing the bag, I was even going to hook her up with a lanyard, lol. Then there was the hands free thing, there again...thinking the wife would not want to hold a wand while pulling on the vape...shit we've been married for 26 years, I thought I knew this woman. Its funny, bacause I said all along that if it was just me the DBV or SS would be my thing. But I have pretty much convinced her that until we give the EQ a fair chance for a least a week we could be in the same boat with a different vaporizer. I'm happy with my purchase overall, I really like the look a feel of the eq, lots of options, killer blue light a functional remote, its actualy quite usefull. I think the cyclone bowl is open for different mods, the ability to elbow load, there's actualy a lot I like about it. I hate to say it though, but at the end of the day...the wife will have her way.

Thanks again for taking the time gang...

Davy Jones,

fidget

Copied from the other Q thread about improving performance.

Kaptan said:
I know this thread is a few months old, but has anyone tried placing an extra elbow screen under the flat round screen to raise it instead of the stainless steel wire? I tried this last night with excellent results.

If you grind your bud well, it seems with just the flat screen in place, some bud does fall on the heater cover. With the elbow screen covering the entire hole in the cyclone bowl, no bud falls through at all, the hits seem to be more dense, and it's not necessary to stir the load often.

I usually pack the elbow and use a travel beaker and am completely happy with my set up but on the rare occasions I want bags I think the elbow is not so good.
I've tried all the ways posted so far but all seem to leave me with a wobbly top screen and all the herb ends up on one side.
Was messing about before and had a eureka moment.
Take an elbow screen and cut the bottom off.
Pinch the sides in then put it pinched side down into the bowl.
Push it through the hole then use your glass stirrer to open it out a bit (just push the point through)
Make sure it is level and put a flat screen on top et voila !

dbqtxc.jpg

euehap.jpg

fidget,

oldiebutgoodie

Davy Jones said:
Hey thanks for the reply's & tips guys...it is much appreciated. I've kinda gathered myself & picked my head up, lol. The main reason I sellected the EQ was the bag, I thought the wife would dig that feature, figured she could do house stuff while puffing the bag, I was even going to hook her up with a lanyard, lol. Then there was the hands free thing, there again...thinking the wife would not want to hold a wand while pulling on the vape...shit we've been married for 26 years, I thought I knew this woman. Its funny, bacause I said all along that if it was just me the DBV or SS would be my thing. But I have pretty much convinced her that until we give the EQ a fair chance for a least a week we could be in the same boat with a different vaporizer. I'm happy with my purchase overall, I really like the look a feel of the eq, lots of options, killer blue light a functional remote, its actualy quite usefull. I think the cyclone bowl is open for different mods, the ability to elbow load, there's actualy a lot I like about it. I hate to say it though, but at the end of the day...the wife will have her way.

Thanks again for taking the time gang...

Having been shackled, er, married, myself for decades, no need to tell me who rules the roost - that was a given from your first post :lol: (Don't get me wrong, she's the best thing that ever happened to me.)

Seriously though, and maybe because we share a couple of the same challenges, let me leave you with a couple thoughts just fwiw (and pls excuse any repetition) . . .

First, if you want to do monster hits with the Q and the whip, just learn to elbow-pack, leave the Cyclone empty, and put the temp to ~210 or ~230+ if you're looking for an effect closer to combustion. There are a number of YouTube videos produced to demonstrate a piece of major glass work, where the guy uses a Q and gets a very large and thick cloud; the machine can deliver. Pack several elbows for a session, as (and of course this depends on the herb) you'll typically only get 2-4 really big hits off each one. I suggest this because it will closely approximate using an SSV or DBV, and IMHO the wife will want to see how that pulling works out vis-a-vis her asthma. (Remember that you can lessen the pull by using Fan 2 or 3. Fan 2 needs ~a minute or so to fill an empty 3' whip, so do that before hitting which helps reduce the pull yet a bit more).

Second, and again with the asthma in mind, let me encourage you to experiment with the bag. Some of us have gotten thicker vapor with Fan 1, others with Fan 3; not sure why. Some of us use the elbow-pack with the bag too; others, not. But the main point is that there is virtually no pull required. So one can inhale however is most comfortable (a sustained draw is best); try to hold it for 10 seconds because vapor does not absorb into the lungs quite a quickly as smoke does. One thing specifically about the bag that I like is that, without needing to pull, I can inhale through both mouth and nose. Once you work out getting the desired density, bare in mind that this vapor kind of sneaks up on you; you don't get the same hot combustion rush as with a flame nor for that matter quite as much as a huge rip off the whip, but within a few minutes you'll still be nicely on the moon.

Third and perhaps most important, give yourselves time to adjust to this cleaner high. Your bodies and minds are accustomed to an experience which includes combustion of a bunch of carcinogenics, and some of those do actually alter what the herb naturally delivers. At first, the difference may be pronounced. But nearly always with a bit of time that difference is overshadowed by the new experience, and then there is no going back. If the Q doesn't work out for you, by all means go with another quality vaporizer like the SSV (or, for a bit more expense, go with the Cloud and a Hydratube which promises to be a monster).

Good luck.

oldiebutgoodie,
Its very interesting the amount of different ways this is being used. Myself personally I love the bag. I think its the easiest way to get high. Its also nice that there is no learning curve needed (as far as actually hitting the bag) which is definitely an improvement over my VaporBros, which while I had mastered not everyone had the easiest time in figuring out how to get a huge hit.

My method right now is to preheat to 220c with the herb in the elbow and then drop down to 195c to actually fill the bag at fan 3. I've never tried to let it go on fan 1 but I think the next bag I will just to say if there's anything to it.

Its strange there have been times where I had the perfect density of vape in my bag without knowing just how I got to that ideal setting so now I'm going through trial and error to try and figure it out. Excellent product though, real impressed with it. Its nice to be able to show my friends who are heavy bong smokers just why vaping is the way to go!

GrooveVapor,

CutePanda

If you want to go to the moon, I recommend you blow up a balloon 230c with a half packed cyclone bowl using fan speed 1 all day everyday. I just tried this because I haven't gone past 220c before and I am on the MOON.

I have found that my ideal is 215c for the whip and balloon. This is when I want that couchlock feel. If I want to be more alert, I'll use 190c. I use the elbow for the whip and the cyclone with the balloon. No tricks here.

In addition, I have experimented by blowing up balloons starting at 180c-190c and turning it to 215c-220c after about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I did this for awhile and then started just using 215c for everything and this is where I have been at for 2 weeks now. However, I am really enjoying 230c and will start using this to go to the MOON.

My conclusion is that if you want to be couchlocked go for 210c-230c or higher if you please. If you don't want that then I would suggest you try 180c-200c. And I use fan speed 1 until half the bag is full then stop the fan, give the cyclone bowl a stir and continue until about 85-90% of the bag is filled or the herb looks quite spent. Then I'll use fan speed 2 and fan speed 3 to fill the rest.

CutePanda,

ExQ2HiSi

@GrooveVapor and @CutePanda - i'm slowly working back to my original 230*C like I started with when I first got the EQ, I just can't decide what temp is better even on the sam bud. I think now I know to stay on top of having clean elbow screens to always have great bags.

I also like to start at lowering temps and fan speeds then raising both as the bag fills. simply adds some fun to the process. I don't like to take the elbow out to stir so I usually tap the side or shake the EQ a lil.

i've seen in this thread a temp scale describing different highs. do you hold this to be true, or is temp mainly affecting how much or how efficient you vape the bud?

:ninja: actually filled a bag at 230*C on fan3 before posting this....very thick bag and i'm ripped.

ExQ2HiSi,

oldiebutgoodie

CutePanda said:
If you want to go to the moon, I recommend you blow up a balloon 230c with a half packed cyclone bowl using fan speed 1 all day everyday. I just tried this because I haven't gone past 220c before and I am on the MOON.

I have found that my ideal is 215c for the whip and balloon. This is when I want that couchlock feel. If I want to be more alert, I'll use 190c. I use the elbow for the whip and the cyclone with the balloon. No tricks here.

In addition, I have experimented by blowing up balloons starting at 180c-190c and turning it to 215c-220c after about 30 seconds to 1 minute. I did this for awhile and then started just using 215c for everything and this is where I have been at for 2 weeks now. However, I am really enjoying 230c and will start using this to go to the MOON.

My conclusion is that if you want to be couchlocked go for 210c-230c or higher if you please. If you don't want that then I would suggest you try 180c-200c. And I use fan speed 1 until half the bag is full then stop the fan, give the cyclone bowl a stir and continue until about 85-90% of the bag is filled or the herb looks quite spent. Then I'll use fan speed 2 and fan speed 3 to fill the rest.

Your findings appear to be fairly consistent with the "vaporizing effects by temperature" posted here (and also on vaporpedia), which I imagine you've seen. IMO there are enough posts making similar observations to lend credibility to that data (although for sure there are other variables at work, such as the CBD-to-THC ratio in the particular herb being used). At any rate, the thresholds appear to be approx 180c, 190c, 220c, and 230c where at each, additional canniboids with different characteristics are vaporized.

My experience is somewhat similar to yours. At ~190 I get a pleasant but gentle head experience, while at ~210-215 a very nice all around, and at ~230 I enter couch-lock territory. While I enjoy the flexibility, I do get a tad frustrated with having the fine tune my settings with each new batch, so like you I'm settling in at ~215 which for me seems to be the best happy medium. I can always torch up if I want to leave the planet for a while. :)

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

ExQ2HiSi said:
i've seen in this thread a temp scale describing different highs. do you hold this to be true, or is temp mainly affecting how much or how efficient you vape the bud?

As I just posted above, after having read through a lot of threads here plus my own experience, I think the vaporization temp chart is credible as long as one remembers that some gradations are fine grain (like the jump from just 180c to 190c) and that there are other variables, too (especially CBD/THC ratio). A lot of folks don't have variable temp machines or their machines don't provide temp readings; my completely subjective sense is that those users are probably just vaping at higher get-ripped temps. Re efficiency, IMO that's relative: When you get to ~230+, more is being vaporized, so the herb is consumed faster but at the same time the experience changes. You can conserve more at ~180, but the experience is, again, different. I think a lower temp for conservation only pays off if you salvage that herb for another use, whether that be baking or vaping that remainder again as a sleep aid.

ExQ2HiSi said:
:ninja: actually filled a bag at 230*C on fan3 before posting this....very thick bag and i'm ripped.

I'm curious - are you finding Fan 3 provides greater vapor density than Fan 1? There are conflicting reports about this, which suggests to me there could be other factors at work than just the fan.

oldiebutgoodie,
Wow you guys are really cranking up the heat. I much prefer to pack the elbow, let it sit for 10 minutes at 220c and then knock it >205c and fill up a bag. The first is always a bit weak but the second is filled with thick vape.

I find anything above 205 to be much more similar to a combustion high than a vape high.

I also find the fan setting to be very enigmatic. I tried to get a bag filled with fan 1 yesterday and just stared at it for awhile as nothing even close to resembling vapor formed. Turned it onto 3 and it filled right away. Very odd.

GrooveVapor,

oldiebutgoodie

GrooveVapor said:
Wow you guys are really cranking up the heat. I much prefer to pack the elbow, let it sit for 10 minutes at 220c and then knock it >205c and fill up a bag. The first is always a bit weak but the second is filled with thick vape.

I find anything above 205 to be much more similar to a combustion high than a vape high.

I also find the fan setting to be very enigmatic. I tried to get a bag filled with fan 1 yesterday and just stared at it for awhile as nothing even close to resembling vapor formed. Turned it onto 3 and it filled right away. Very odd.

Based on the "vaporization effects by temperature" article, where the temps are admittedly not exactly precise, the widest gap is a substantial 30c, between 190c and 220c. That article and the posts I've seen here lead me to think that this is the dividing line between the head high vs stoner high. In Arizer's elbow-pack procedure he suggests increasing the temp a bit for that. So your 205c is consistent with all this. I as well have gotten pretty much the same results in the 200-210c range.

I completely agree with your comment re the fan setting. There are conflicting reports, so there must be other factors. However, re your experience specifically I have a hunch that the explanation may be the elbow-pack. Steve explained that the elbow dome screen's tight mesh is designed to create back-pressure into the bowl; this is what creates the cyclone effect. Elbow-packing will increase this resistance (and even more so if material is also in the bowl). I haven't elbow-packed with the bag but do so with the whip, and the airflow on Fan 1 is very light, almost imperceptible. So it may be that with the bag Fan 1 is just not strong enough to push much past the added elbow-pack resistance.

I actually have a support question in to Arizer about elbow-packing, fan assist, and the bag. Steve's description of elbow-packing only ref'd the whip, and he made no mention at all re fan assist. Besides just knowing what might be best from an experience/result perspective, I've wondered whether the additional back-pressure might make the fan work harder or have some other unwanted effect.

oldiebutgoodie,

geddylee

So I first posted about 2 weeks ago when I had just received my brand new Extreme Q. Well I have to say after 2 weeks of nothing but vap I will NEVER go back to combustion!!
The setup I have been using works perfect!
Got the Q going right into a Dual Screen Handkit Vapor Whip which is attached to an AquaVape. WOW!!
First of all the Vapor Whip works fantastic! Has 2 screens that you pack the weed in between so there is NO spillage OR mess. You can pack a little for yourself or alot if you have friends over. Second the weed sits closer to the heating element as you do not use the cyclone bowl. So it takes lower temps to vap at. Third I fill the AquaVape up with cold water and keep it in the fridge. When I am ready to go just grab it and pop it on. You would not believe how much this cools the vapor down. (When I first got the vap I didn't have the AquaVape yet so for the first few days it was just straight up and BOY what a difference!) Also both of these accessories are VERY easy to clean.
I usually pack about .1-.3 in the Dual Screen Handkit Vapor Whip and let the Q heat up for 15 minutes at 230. Then put the Vapor Whip on and turn it down to 160. By the time it hits 160 the weed is heated up and ready to go! I start at 160 on fan 1. No problem getting tasty thick vapor! Usually can get around 4 or 5 good hits and then need to turn it up to 170. I keep going until 200 or 210 and by then I have already had 25 or so hits!!! :o
No need to stop and stir with this thing!!! And I can't believe how long one bowl pack lasts!! INCREDIBLE!
No coughing or throat burning! Chest feels great and lovin this thing!

geddylee,

oldiebutgoodie

geddylee said:
So I first posted about 2 weeks ago when I had just received my brand new Extreme Q. Well I have to say after 2 weeks of nothing but vap I will NEVER go back to combustion!!
The setup I have been using works perfect!
Got the Q going right into a Dual Screen Handkit Vapor Whip which is attached to an AquaVape. WOW!!
First of all the Vapor Whip works fantastic! Has 2 screens that you pack the weed in between so there is NO spillage OR mess. You can pack a little for yourself or alot if you have friends over. Second the weed sits closer to the heating element as you do not use the cyclone bowl. So it takes lower temps to vap at. Third I fill the AquaVape up with cold water and keep it in the fridge. When I am ready to go just grab it and pop it on. You would not believe how much this cools the vapor down. (When I first got the vap I didn't have the AquaVape yet so for the first few days it was just straight up and BOY what a difference!) Also both of these accessories are VERY easy to clean.
I usually pack about .1-.3 in the Dual Screen Handkit Vapor Whip and let the Q heat up for 15 minutes at 230. Then put the Vapor Whip on and turn it down to 160. By the time it hits 160 the weed is heated up and ready to go! I start at 160 on fan 1. No problem getting tasty thick vapor! Usually can get around 4 or 5 good hits and then need to turn it up to 170. I keep going until 200 or 210 and by then I have already had 25 or so hits!!! :o
No need to stop and stir with this thing!!! And I can't believe how long one bowl pack lasts!! INCREDIBLE!
No coughing or throat burning! Chest feels great and lovin this thing!

Thanks for the information! I'm very interested in the whip (I already have the AV). Is this the VaporTower whip sold by Vaporstore? On their site they have 2 others that are nearly identical. There appears also to be 2 different joint (if that is what is meant by "gourd") options, a straight and an L - which did you get? Could you please clarify exactly which one you have, or better yet post back the web page url? Thanks!

By the way, I learned here that the silicone tubing can be refrigerated too. The post claims that it can even be put in the freezer! However, I found it isn't a good idea to put the AV in the freezer. That said, since the water in the AV loses its chill before long, I rigged an ice-bucket of sorts on which I place the AV and tube, keeping it very cold the entire session.

Also, did you know that FC has a discount coupon for VaporStore? I don't recall if there is a minimum purchase requirement, but when I bought my AV there I got 10% off. There's a thread here with all the suppliers that FC has discounts with.

oldiebutgoodie,

hereatlast

geddylee, certainly sounds like your enjoying that new set-up, nice. :cool:

oldiebutgoodie, FWIW, I posted a fairly lengthy review of the aforementioned whip set-up. That post is in this thread on page 26, post number 639.
EDIT to add direct link to post: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=68944#p68944

I think it has some great pros and like all things is not free of cons. I enjoyed the set-up. :)

hereatlast,
Ive been playing with blowing bags at 210 up to 230 the last couple days, and do notice a stronger effect. At first I thought those temps were too high for me. The EQ showed its power because it will pretty well scorch your stash if you leave it sitting at those temps for an extended period. So I am using my EQ between settings 170-230C, and have not really settled on anything because there is always something to tweak.
Ive shown the Q to friends and they ask how much it cost. I tell them around 170 dollars shipped, they act as though that is some crazy frivolous purchase, because, as they say... "you can just use a pipe". Not everybody is on fuckcombustion you know.hahahahaha

luvnthevapor,
Top Bottom