The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Shad0w

I read that EQ maximum temp is 260°C/500°F. Does the EQ actually get to these temperatures? I have had a EQ owner tell me that he had doubts about the accuracy of temp readings in the EQ. Any thoughts/comments on this? I'm trying to get a Vaporizer that can reach some high temps. EQ with 260°C is the highest I found so far. Any other quality vaporizer than can go higher?

Shad0w,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I read that EQ maximum temp is 260°C/500°F. Does the EQ actually get to these temperatures? I have had a EQ owner tell me that he had doubts about the accuracy of temp readings in the EQ. Any thoughts/comments on this? I'm trying to get a Vaporizer that can reach some high temps. EQ with 260°C is the highest I found so far. Any other quality vaporizer than can go higher?

I assume you know that the temperature displayed is not the temperature of the load. I don't think anyone has ever established exactly what temperature is being measured, but we do know that Arizer went from one temperature sensor in the Extreme to three in the Q. It's generally accepted that the Q's display is a reasonable estimate of the load temperature, but as long as it's in the ballpark I don't really care.

The Q at 260°C can actually reach combustion if the load is dry enough. You don't need anything that goes higher, but there are plenty of quality vapourizers that can. Both the MFLB and the FlashVAPE can do it within seconds.

pakalolo,

DougWilson

Another Question: How long is the whip that comes with the EQ? I just bought silicone tubing and forgot to measure the old one before I tossed it.

DougWilson,

FrogBoy138

Okay trying to connect my EQ to my new SSFG 19mm tube that's in the mail. I have almost everything to do so. I have 1 elbow adapter on the EQ mini whip I was going to cut off the mini whip tubing off and add silicone tubing so i'm short an 19mm adapter to go into the bong it's self I was going to buy another Arizer 19mm glass elbow. I thought maybe I should ask if that is the right move or if someone had a better idea. Thanks

FrogBoy138,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Another Question: How long is the whip that comes with the EQ? I just bought silicone tubing and forgot to measure the old one before I tossed it.

While the stock whip is 36", IME the only need for that length is a group session. I've shortened mine to ~18-20" which is comfortable table top and also reduces the drag.

Okay trying to connect my EQ to my new SSFG 19mm tube that's in the mail. I have almost everything to do so. I have 1 elbow adapter on the EQ mini whip I was going to cut off the mini whip tubing off and add silicone tubing so i'm short an 19mm adapter to go into the bong it's self I was going to buy another Arizer 19mm glass elbow. I thought maybe I should ask if that is the right move or if someone had a better idea. Thanks

I use both a Q elbow and a straight adapter for the GonG connection to my bubblers, both work fine. If you are a bit obsessive about drag, and depending on the glass, you may notice a little more drag due to the 90 degree turn as opposed to a straight adapter like this:

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/vapo...-lab-tech-18-mm-glass-vapor-hose-adapter.html

Also, depending on the angle of the joint, and if using silicone tubing which bends easily, it may be advantageous to use straight over the elbow, or vice versa.

Didn't your EQ come with two elbow adapters? You can buy the Arizer elbow, but there is probably a cheaper solution ie: Oregon Glass Blower

edit: most good LHS will probably carry vape adapters too. At least IME.

While the stock whip is 36", IME the only need for that length is a group session. I've shortened mine to ~18-20" which is comfortable table top and also reduces the drag.
I also shorten my whips. And they get shorter after each cleaning too :)

FrogBoy138

I use both a Q elbow and a straight adapter for the GonG connection to my bubblers, both work fine. If you are a bit obsessive about drag, and depending on the glass, you may notice a little more drag due to the 90 degree turn as opposed to a straight adapter like this:

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/vapo...-lab-tech-18-mm-glass-vapor-hose-adapter.html

Also, depending on the angle of the joint, and if using silicone tubing which bends easily, it may be advantageous to use straight over the elbow, or vice versa.
Thanks guys Could I use the straight adapter for an all glass pathway and not use the tubing? I would guess not but I seen a video of someone turning the EQ upside down on top of a bubbler. I can't find that video again. Any info of how to make a EQ to bubbler into all all glass pathway would really help.

FrogBoy138,
Thanks guys Could I use the straight adapter for an all glass pathway and not use the tubing? I would guess not but I seen a video of someone turning the EQ upside down on top of a bubbler. I can't find that video again. Any info of how to make a EQ to bubbler into all all glass pathway would really help.

Yes you can use it inverted 'Cloud-style'. I imagine it's a bit cumbersome with all the loose fitting attachments, power adapter and cord, and general weight and size of the EQ.

You need one of these: http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas.../alt-90-18-mm-male-to-14-mm-male-adapter.html

or one of these: http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas.../alt-18-mm-male-to-18-mm-male-90-adapter.html

Depending on your waterpipe joint size. Feel free to buy them cheaper from somewhere else, I only linked ALT because it was handy.

edit: You'd obviously want a screen in there too. Perhaps a .625 or 1, I'm not sure.

Doug

Just passing time
I entered the world of vaping around September with the purchase of the EQ. It was a good device then. I used it mainly with the bag; then I realized the power of the whip and started using that. The tickle of vaping was hard for me to deal with and I got a small portable MFLB ripoff. I really liked it for its herb saving abilities and huge flavor.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I got a cheap waterpipe attached to it just for shits n giggles, and it changed what i thought was possible with herb vaping. It's really changed the game as far as using the EQ. It really hits hard now, and that's what I need with a tolerance like mine. It seems like there is quite the drag in the system though. Doing elbow packs, i've learned to not fill it as densely, but I still have problems with drag in the system. I feel like it should be easier than it is.

There are a couple of problems that I notice with the setup possibly. Firstly, I just switched to silicon tubing. The old whip was 3 feet, but I extended this one another foot to add a bit more reach on the couch. Does the length of the tubing greatly change the drag?

Also, i notice the elbow pieces are not made very well. The joint between the verical and horizontal pieces that made the elbow is quite subpar. Half of the "opening" is covered by misaligned glass. I guess some higher quality GONG whip attachment might allow for better flow.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Doug,

thesoloman

if you have a bubler with a male adaptor you can set the cyclone bowl on it and pack in the top, then set your vape on that and it should work.

oldiebutgoodie

I entered the world of vaping around September with the purchase of the EQ. It was a good device then. I used it mainly with the bag; then I realized the power of the whip and started using that. The tickle of vaping was hard for me to deal with and I got a small portable MFLB ripoff. I really liked it for its herb saving abilities and huge flavor.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I got a cheap waterpipe attached to it just for shits n giggles, and it changed what i thought was possible with herb vaping. It's really changed the game as far as using the EQ. It really hits hard now, and that's what I need with a tolerance like mine. It seems like there is quite the drag in the system though. Doing elbow packs, i've learned to not fill it as densely, but I still have problems with drag in the system. I feel like it should be easier than it is.

There are a couple of problems that I notice with the setup possibly. Firstly, I just switched to silicon tubing. The old whip was 3 feet, but I extended this one another foot to add a bit more reach on the couch. Does the length of the tubing greatly change the drag?

Also, i notice the elbow pieces are not made very well. The joint between the verical and horizontal pieces that made the elbow is quite subpar. Half of the "opening" is covered by misaligned glass. I guess some higher quality GONG whip attachment might allow for better flow.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Welcome to FC, Doug.

If I understand correctly, the water pipe increased the size of your hits but that's when the drag problem arose? The pipe itself could be an issue. If you are using a big tube with a lot of volume, pulling on a long whip - especially with an elbow constricted by half - that could add up to a lot of drag.

Consider shortening the tube length. I use ~18-20". And btw diameter is also a factor, you should be using 5/16" ID.

Also sounds like the elbows need to be replaced. Surprising, can't recall that problem being posted; Arizer is pretty reliable. With the airway reduced that way you are essentially pulling through a thin straw. Extra difficult when pulling from a big tube.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

oldiebutgoodie,

Doug

Just passing time
Thanks for the welcome oldie. I have been learned a lot from this place and finally joined to start posting. Vaping has been a game changer to me.

The way you laid it out back to me made a lot of sense as far as the increased drag. My whip length got cut in half or so yesterday and it helped the drag a bit. I have some elbows on order, and I am waiting for my fake vapor brothers hydrate to arrive. I think some higher quality and better pieces will help the issue.

Hopefully that all take away the drag issue. It is as you described..like trying to suck through a small straw. It is still effective, but the setup pulling back on me is annoying. I was thinking that larger whip connectors would allow for a much larger whip diameter. This would allow much greater flow and much less restriction. It could be nearly none, but maybe as I get new elbows I will have no more problems anyway.

As far as a picture, I won't have the ability for a few days. I will soon though.

Doug,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
iv'e been loving that cyclone bowl lately for solid sessions or for more people... usually just pack elbows but the elbow packs itself when i load the cyclone... so i take a couple rips and blow back through the whip to clear out the elbow and then stir and keep rippin' hard... this way every hit is like a stirred elbow hit + a cyclone hit.. hits are consistent, i'm lovin' it... don't know why i didn't think it was good for hard hits...

Buildozer,

oldiebutgoodie

iv'e been loving that cyclone bowl lately for solid sessions or for more people... usually just pack elbows but the elbow packs itself when i load the cyclone... so i take a couple rips and blow back through the whip to clear out the elbow and then stir and keep rippin' hard... this way every hit is like a stirred elbow hit + a cyclone hit.. hits are consistent, i'm lovin' it... don't know why i didn't think it was good for hard hits...

I used this technique as well. :) One discovery I had though was to not grind too fine, otherwise the elbow gets badly clogged. As it is, as the material recycles thru the Cyclone the herb breaks down finer anway. Seems I also got more potent hits this way.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Buildozer

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I was doing this until I had to open my Extreme to replace the heater cover. Yikes! I don't blow back through the whip anymore.

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Why blow? Lift the cyclone, yes, but inhale the vapor, that clears it too, but into you :)
I think breath isn't that clean anyway to blow it into whip.

Seek,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
i only blow through to clear the elbow so it gets stirred w/ the rest in the cyclone... i try to always clear the whip like you said, but it gets hard to remember after a little bit:D .. ha

Buildozer,

FrogBoy138

I only ever used the cyclone a few times with not to good of luck. I guess I need to try and use it more and get the hang of it. Other then my elbow screen getting dirty very fast I like the elbow packing for everything. It's neat to think after three years I'm still learning better ways to use my EQ. I'm thinking about buying a V-Tower today for the back rooms of my house.

FrogBoy138,
Personally, every time I've used the Cyclone, I've had pretty 'meh' results compared to the elbow bowl. I'll give it another go tonight.

Question though: I've found that the glass whip stem (that you put your mouth on) seems to fit pretty well into the downstem of my generic glass bong, and the seal is tight enough that I can inhale enough through the bong and actually exhale a vapor cloud and all that. Am I missing anything by just holding the whip stem in my bong vs. actually buying adapters and all that jazz?

effcombustion,

hoptimum

Personally, every time I've used the Cyclone, I've had pretty 'meh' results compared to the elbow bowl. I'll give it another go tonight.

Question though: I've found that the glass whip stem (that you put your mouth on) seems to fit pretty well into the downstem of my generic glass bong, and the seal is tight enough that I can inhale enough through the bong and actually exhale a vapor cloud and all that. Am I missing anything by just holding the whip stem in my bong vs. actually buying adapters and all that jazz?

Nope, the mouthpiece fits fine. I did replace the stock tubing with silicon, however, which is much more flexible.

hoptimum,

Doug

Just passing time
I wouldn't trust that to not leak over all those electronics. It would be nice to have something like that though.

Top Bottom