The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I haven't changed my original tubing yet, any recommendations on how often I need to change the tubing?
There are many factors to consider here - not the least of which is personal preference - so my answer I guess is "I know it when I see it". You will notice the tubing begin to change color as it builds up resin. Taste will be affected as it gets more discolored.

FWIW the last 25 feet of tubing that I purchased has lasted me over a year. I think this says more about me using other wrenches more than my lack of cleanliness with my EQ however.

YMMV

:peace:

Stu,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
I have been the owner of the Extreme Q vaporizer for half a year now. It was all fun and games until one day I smelled weird plastic smell coming from it. I decided to dissasemble it and check where the problem was. I opened the plastic heater chamber and nothing seemed melted at first but then I noticed this rectangular plastic piece tucked beetwen the wires of the heater element. So much for the "all glass airpath". This piece is visibly melted on the top (where it goes into the ceramic heater element). Now with piece removed and 2 hour burnout period on 260C, vaporizer does not smell anymore. Anyone with the same experience? Why was this plastic piece there tucked into the heater. What is its function. I hope I haven't done any damage to myself inhaling plastic fumes.

It sounds like this is the piece which sparked discussion and debate a couple of times over the past month or so, you might find that useful. Arizer's position is that the piece is mica, and no risk. IME in electronics eng & mfg, I worked with mica and mica composites which are quite common and harmless. Over time some composites can degrade, even so according to the MSDS sheets I've seen there is no risk. (Some forms of raw mica have risk, but that's not applicable here.) IIRC this piece is not directly in the air path, it is some sort of support brace but is not really necessary. While this doesn't alarm me personally, I'm not surprised that it does others and I agree with other posters that Arizer has not be suitably helpful with an explanation. Is this unit not under warranty?

I've never understood the "all glass airpath". I guess it's true in the sense that the airway is within a glass enclosure, but the ceramic heater element is in there too. I don't think that's what people expect by "all glass".

I haven't changed my original tubing yet, any recommendations on how often I need to change the tubing?

I agree with Stu. I don't know why, maybe because I typically have no better than average herb, but I don't get the resin build-up that others do. It seems that I get a light tint and it stays that way for a good while. When it starts to darken though I replace it. Given the bag whip is only 6", and if you use a shortened whip like I do, 25' will last a long time - I still have plenty left after more than a year. Note that there are some who reclaim from the tubing; I don't let it get that far so I can't comment on that.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: kingofnull
I've never understood the "all glass airpath". I guess it's true in the sense that the airway is within a glass enclosure, but the ceramic heater element is in there too. I don't think that's what people expect by "all glass".

Agreed. There's also two metal screens in the way of the "all glass air-path"

kingofnull,

dannkk

Pretty sure Arizer only advertizes that the EQ has a glass on glass connection. Not that it's an "all glass airpath."

dannkk,

oldiebutgoodie

Pretty sure Arizer only advertizes that the EQ has a glass on glass connection. Not that it's an "all glass airpath."

Maybe that's another "myth", like the Q being "4.0". Use it often enough, becomes presumably correct.

oldiebutgoodie,
Is vapor leak a concern for anyone while using the whip? Do you keep a finger over the mouthpiece, or is it not a concern?

kingofnull,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Not significant enough to be a concern, but I would do and I do lift the elbow (optionally with the cyclone aswell) at the end of pull to clear the vapor. Not because of vapor leaking, but to not let the whip coat with condensed vapor. With cyclone you also cooldown herbs so they won't make new vapor after you stop pulling.

Not significant enough to be a concern, but I would do and I do lift the elbow (optionally with the cyclone aswell) at the end of pull to clear the vapor. Not because of vapor leaking, but to not let the whip coat with condensed vapor. With cyclone you also cooldown herbs so they won't make new vapor after you stop pulling.

Didn't think of that... kinda like clearing a water pipe.

I was thinking today how nice it is to be able to vary my vaping routine. Tired of whip? I just blow a bag.

Sorry for the double post. Perhaps a mod can merge?

mod note: Happy to oblige.

Do DBV custom mouthpieces work with the Extreme Q tubing? They look like they'd fit. Silicone tubing is flexible enough that I should be able to force a mouthpiece in.

I was planning on getting a custom blown mouthpiece, but damn DBV has some nice ones here: http://dabuddhavaporizer.com/custom-glass/mouthpieces.html?limit=all for the same price and less than I was quoted.

kingofnull,

oldiebutgoodie

Do DBV custom mouthpieces work with the Extreme Q tubing? They look like they'd fit. Silicone tubing is flexible enough that I should be able to force a mouthpiece in.

Silicone tubing, probably yes. Stock pvc, might not. The ID of the silicone tubing some of us here use, is 5/16", the same as the stock pvc. But as you observe, the silicone has good elasticity. IIRC the SSV tubing is 3/8" (I presume the DBV is the same). A piece intended to fit into 3/8" silicone will work with 5/16" silicone too, but it may be a problem with 5/16" pvc which has no give. On the other hand, I have a similar glass piece with a smaller tube fitting; it fits fine into both 5/16" silicone and pvc, but is too small for 3/8" even silicone.

oldiebutgoodie,

dannkk

Maybe that's another "myth", like the Q being "4.0". Use it often enough, becomes presumably correct.

I imagine it comes down to some people not knowing the difference between the two. Glass on glass joints are just joints. An all glass air path means the heating element is separated from the air path by glass.

dannkk,

oldiebutgoodie

I imagine it comes down to some people not knowing the difference between the two. Glass on glass joints are just joints. An all glass air path means the heating element is separated from the air path by glass.

Indeed. Other than the Cloud, and maybe the (apparently defunct) Oracle?, do you happen to know what other vapes have a genuinely all glass path?

oldiebutgoodie,

John Lewus

An easy test is to just breathe through the tube with clean air or better yet with the arizer turned on with no herb. That taste is what is being added to the mix. This is how I check if my pieces taste too dirty.

John Lewus,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Any of you guys using your E directly onto a water piece like the cloud without using the silicone whip? I was thinking about trying this, but haven't figured out what adapters I might need...gotta think some more.

stickstones,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I do. Not like the Cloud, more like VHW. Use it only this way personally, for friends i sometimes blow a long bag. In this vid there are still 2 trees in the bub. *sigh* A friend accidentaly the top one long time ago. And I broke the mouthpiece getting shards out.

Seek,
Top Bottom