The Dr Dabber Pen

Dr.Dabber

Manufacturer
Hey fellow dabbers. I enjoy my Dr. Dabber just as much as everyone else. When I'm just hanging around at home I find great satisfaction when using this pen in conjunction with various water pieces. It works very well and the water helps provide a smoother hit. However, I prefer to not use tubing because after several uses it gets pretty dirty and smelly. When I'm at home, I use a water piece probably 99% of the time. So, I needed a way to connect my pen to my bubblers without tubing in order to keep upkeep at a minimum, preserve maximum flavor with little to no noticeable degradation of taste over time, and, perhaps most importantly, fulfill my love and desire to vaporize with each of my various pieces.

For obvious reasons, I didn't want to just invert the pen and use it with my bubbler that way. I needed a way to connect the pen to a bubbler with the pen remaining upright the entire time. I visualized a strange U-shaped adapter to connect the two. I used MS Paint to sketch a silly drawing of the concept.

hmOoucJ.png

The problem was, I couldn't find anything similar to what I imagined. However, I was able to find two 90 degree glass adapters that I could connect together to form the adapter I needed. That could work. Some more messing with MS Paint helped picture things more clearly.

aKB0LvY.jpg

This is what I was looking for. I ordered the two adapters and wasted no time setting things up right after I received them. Success!

kRuU1Co.jpg

Ideally, I'd like one adapter that could achieve the same task but for now this works just fine. This setup is very easy to use. The taste will stay great use after use and you'll never have to worry about replacing tubing (normal glass cleaning required). I would highly recommend this or a similar setup to anyone who loves oil pens and loves using a water path to medicate.

The two angled adapters are from Mike @ OregonGlassBlower. They're both 18mm female to 18mm male. I got them on eBay. The adapter that connects to the pen is a 14mm female to 18mm male. Also purchased on eBay.

Here's a tiny dab just to show you how it works.

:science::peace:
Happy Friday
I have a feeling your going to reaaaally enjoy our next product :)

walrus

What adapter do I need? Then is the only thing I need to order the atomizer? I'll be much more comfortable with these parts once I have them in my hands I'm sure.

The battery and charger I have are from liquidizer.

Honestly, I would just get the complete kit from Dr D. To use it with another battery you would need the atomizer and mouthpiece which I don't see on his site currently but iirc it was priced around $35. The smallest battery I would recommend getting would be something like this:
http://www.smoktek.com/SmokTek-Mini-eGo-510-Battery--400mAh_p_513.html
Which is pretty much the same one that comes with the kit. You'd also need a charger like this:
http://www.smoktek.com/eGo-USB-Charger--420ma_p_48.html

So $20 for the battery and charger, $35 for the atty/mouthpiece, plus shipping from both sites. For $75 you get the full kit plus a second atomizer and extra silicone ball shipped with the FC discount. Not a bad deal IMO. If you had a bunch of ego batteries lying around already I'd say, yeah just grab an atty/mouthpiece and give it a shot. Since you don't and would have to buy a battery anyway, I'd just go with the full kit.

I wouldn't waste my time on an adapter for your current battery. I've used them and feel like they would be a bad match for the Dr Dabber. They seemed pretty weak to me and died quickly. The batt I linked above or the one from Dr. D are a significantly better option.

Oh and Doctor, any answer on what ohm resistance the ti attys are? I keep forgetting to bring my multimeter home from work to check.

P666R

yup im on the hunt through friends drawers. that is awesome. the material on the outside makes it water tight. been talking alot about a hydratube that was milky way galaxy space chief mlo4SHO

P666R,
Reactions: mlo4sho

rekrab

wow that contraption is unreallllll. nice work.. as for this wickless business, does anyone know anything about it. I know for a fact multiple pen companys are gonna be coming out with something wickless, especially after CHAMPS in denver. cant wait:rofl:

rekrab,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
So I've had my Dr. Dabber Ghost pen in my hands, rather possession, for the past three hours, make that six and a half hours... okay...7 hours! (busy evening at work! It's actually taken over 3 hours to type this post!) and it's been in my hand or pocket the entire time! In the hand, the first thing I noticed was the amazingly smooth feel that the body has to it...now, I was looking for this in the first place, after Mvapes and other members reviews; but the way this thing feels in the hand really is quite amazing, and it should be considered when looking at the value of this thing!

In the pocket, I'm loving the 5-Click On/Off switch, as well as from the noob-proofing aspect! I could totally see myself wasting away a bunch of nice oil with this in my pocket if it weren't for the 5-Click switch...and I could also see someone picking this up and messing with it, only to ruin my load of oil and/or accidentally medicate themselves in the process!

As far as the packaging goes, I can't add more than anyone else has said...it's definitely on par with the quality of the product, and is something that I'll be keeping around! The included accessories seem to be well made and functional...definitely becoming part of my portable arsenal! I don't have a dabber that is quite as compact as the tool included with this kit, so that's a plus! And I believe that the "shatter-proof" balls will be quite a step up from my folded parchment paper! The included paperwork was all very helpful, and nicely written/laid out.

Now, down to the business part of things...and boy does this thing mean business! :nod: I grabbed some shatter from some Jack Herrer, (run last night in anticipation of my DD Ghost's arrival) and broke off a small chunk; I was trying for a chunk that matched the shape/length of the coil, and was fairly successful :brow:

After placing the piece of oil on top of the coil (Edit* hehe, that rhymed! :rofl:) I enabled the battery by pressing the switch 5 times rapidly, and then I gave it a couple of subsequent blips of power. This was enough to cause the oil to start to melt slightly, until the wick began to absorb it. Another couple presses of the switch produced tiny spits of vapor, which I quickly inhaled it to taste it and keep from it condensing back on the walls of the reservoir. Seeing that it was as absorbed as it was going to get without producing any more vapor, I put the mouthpiece on top and started to inhale slowly, while pressing and holding the switch for 3-4 second bursts. I took one long medium speed pull (pulsing the switch on for 3-4 secs then off, maybe 3 times during the hit) and then gave it a little quick pull to clear it with....I held in the hit, and was amazed by the flavor of the visibly dense cloud that I exhaled after holding the hit for a moderate amount of time. I went back for another couple hits, following the same technique, and what I found on hit 1 was reinforced with the subsequent hits!

:drool::love:

I opened up the mouthpiece after my first few hits to check on the load situation, and found most of the remaining oil to be absorbed in the wick, with a bit built up just below the coil/wick, a bit on one side of the well, and some had made its way up into the mouthpiece ever-so-slightly. I've since determined that the mess was 100% due to my lack of technique to prevent it from happening, which is what I'll discuss now :lol:

The mess was caused by two things (at least one of which has been discussed in this thread, so I should have been more mindful of it lol): First, I didn't take care to hold the unit in a mostly upright/vertical orientation...in fact, I pretty much held it like one would hold a joint/cigarette: horizontally. Second, I inhaled faster than I've found that I need to. This second part affects two things - messiness, AND vapor density! Between holding the unit horizontally and inhaling faster than I needed to, I was inhaling more air and less vapor, and effectively was sucking the oil up as soon as it was warm enough to become liquid, and letting it make its way up the side wall to the mouthpiece :lol: Luckily, with common sense I don't think anyone could inhale hard enough to actually drink hot oil from the pen lol, but you get the idea...inhale too fast, and you'll pull the oil out from where it needs to be to do its job, along with creating a very airy hit! All of that being said, I can see how the deeper reservoir in the cart makes this issue less likely to happen, and how with proper technique, this will probably never be an issue! :tup:

Since running that first bit of oil through, I've loaded it up again and had the same great results on the functionality front, and no issue whatsoever with mess! I just keep the unit in a mostly upright position, as opposed to horizontal, and I try not to inhale faster than I need to. Also, one other tip I'll share, is to inhale slowly while doing the five click method to turn off the battery...I say this, because I left the mouthpiece off to watch the oil as I did the five click to turn it off, and a little bit of vapor was produced. So, to keep it from building up, I've been taking a small puff while I do the 5 clicks, so that any vapor produced is cleared from the chamber, and not wasted/left to make more mess!

As far as discoloration on the wick, cleaning before refilling, etc. (some discussion on this topic has come up in the thread a couple of times) I personally don't think I'll be needing to clean out my cartridges, and if I do, I don't see it being often! The wick has gone from white to the color of my oil...and it doesn't seem like my oil is leaving behind much if any residue so-to-say...maybe as much as just some traces of un-vaped oil. When it's empty, it just looks empty, and the wick a little darker. Definitely doesn't make me feel like I need to clean it to prevent from tainting the next fresh load, and I can't seem to notice any flavor degradation from the first load to the load I'm on now....that being said, the flavor throughout the session/load doesn't even seem to diminish too drastically! :)

Now, I also haven't loaded more than a smallish usable amount at a time...I'm sure when loaded heavily or overloaded, things will change a bit. So I think that what I might do is use one cart as I am now, for precision loading/smaller amounts, to be carefully vaped...and use the other one to just load up less carefully, and consume with less attention being paid to the load staying neat, etc...Only time will tell how this thing will work it's way into my rotation, but I can tell already that the Cera may be getting a run for her money in a few aspects...I didn't even bother to throw the batteries on the charger for her after playing with this! I feel very confident in the performance/reliability of this product so far! Don't get me wrong, my Cera will probably stay used daily...just not when this will work more conveniently ;)

So, now a few questions for those who already have had their DDGhost for a little while now!

First off, is the battery care with this unit similar to other common battery powered devices, where charging/topping off often is the better option versus letting the unit drain fully before a recharge? Personally, I'd just as soon throw the batt on the charger anytime I don't need to have it "at the ready," so that the battery is always ready to go, so long as this doesn't negatively affect the longevity of the battery! Otherwise, it seems like it could be tedious guessing the battery life at first, or over time, to determine when it needs to be charged, to not be left without medicine...Either way, I'm going to be picking up a second battery at some point to remedy the potential down time!

Second, am I correct in thinking that when the battery is dead, or nearing dead, there is some kind of indicator? (red light versus blue?) Obviously, if it's not working that's gonna be a pretty good sign the battery is dead lol :lol:

So, after a solid afternoon/evenings use with this thing, I've managed to stay medicated with ease, and I've really enjoyed the flavor/hit quality from this thing! All in all, I'm very very impressed! I won't go into specifics, but I will go so far as to say that I was a unique case when it comes to ordering/shipping, and things didn't go according to plan (USPS was to blame), and Dr. Dabber went above and beyond to accommodate my situation, and was extremely polite/helpful! When combined, the quality of this product and the team behind it are more than worth the cost we're paying, discount or not! I'd say we've found a winner, and supposedly it's just gonna get better!
I have a feeling your going to reaaaally enjoy our next product :)

So if you're on the fence, make the drop onto this side...you won't regret it! :rockon:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Dr, I wanted to order you the kit mouthpiece and atomizer(34.95USD) but I couldn't find it on your website.
I want to use it on my bholt battery, is it possible?

PPN,
Second, am I correct in thinking that when the battery is dead, or nearing dead, there is some kind of indicator? (red light versus blue?)
Also learned the light starts blinking when it needs charging,important fact which this old detail freak thinks might benefit from some more 'exposure'.:p;)
See!:D

Ps Quoted out of a conversation with Dr. Dabber :
"As for the charging, I always just use it until it blinks and then charge for about 2 hours or so."

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Globe atty's guys GLOBE ! lol
My bad! I misread your post Smokum, and thought you were looking for the Ghost atty 5 pack...you seem to be correct, as I don't see a link for a 5 pack of globe attys anywhere. However, I'm sure if you give the Good Doctor a call or PM he'll get you squared away! When I read the quote from Dr. Dabber in bold, I misread globe for ghost, and that's when I got off track :lol: sorry lol

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Hi Dr, I wanted to order you the kit mouthpiece and atomizer(34.95USD) but I couldn't find it on your website.
I want to use it on my bholt battery, is it possible?
Read back a page or 2, member Darkrom asked the same thing. I believe by time you get an adapter for it, you could buy a proper battery. Just go back a shad and you'll see what they say.

good luck

vape4health

Nice looking site but I see the word "smoke" a few times that maybe it could be vapor.
Nevermind I see now.

vape4health,
Top Bottom