The best portable vape for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG

So basically I've been doing a shit load of research on my first vaporizer. It has to be portable and it has to be discreet, but I also would like it to produce quality clouds.

I've come down to these choices:
Pax - Beautiful, my top choice at the moment. I watched SliM's videos on it, and I've read a bunch of reviews and it looks really nice. However, in the inhalator thread, I read people pretty much trashing the vapor quality. Any thoughts on this?
Inhalator - Similar to the Pax heard very good things. This one isn't as "pretty" but supposedly it has crazy nice hits.
DaVinci - Honestly I only have conflicting reviews on this. Some say it's way better than the Pax others say it "leaks" and really isn't that nice. To be honest I don't know what to think.

Any help or advice on these would be great!

Thanks!

CG,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So basically I've been doing a shit load of research on my first vaporizer. It has to be portable and it has to be discreet, but I also would like it to produce quality clouds.

I've come down to these choices:
Pax - Beautiful, my top choice at the moment. I watched SliM's videos on it, and I've read a bunch of reviews and it looks really nice. However, in the inhalator thread, I read people pretty much trashing the vapor quality. Any thoughts on this?
Inhalator - Similar to the Pax heard very good things. This one isn't as "pretty" but supposedly it has crazy nice hits.
DaVinci - Honestly I only have conflicting reviews on this. Some say it's way better than the Pax others say it "leaks" and really isn't that nice. To be honest I don't know what to think.

Any help or advice on these would be great!

Thanks!

I can speak to the Pax only, not having tried the others. What do you consider "trashing the vapour quality"? With the Pax, I've found that flavour goes off faster than the other vapourizers I've used, but in terms of delivering lots of vapour quickly, the Pax is terrific.

The longer I use the Pax the more obvious it becomes that its personality varies depending on how you use it. If you prefer red (high temp) and like to keep hitting a load until it's done, the Pax will probably delight you and get you zipped up in a hurry without any need to open the oven and stir. If you prefer yellow (low temp) and like to get three or four sessions of a few hits each from a load, then you'll notice the flavour change, and you'll benefit from stirring at least once. You'll still get pretty high.

pakalolo,

CG

What do you consider "trashing the vapour quality"?

I guess "trashing" was the wrong word. They were just saying stuff like this:
Stealth goes to pax
Pretty goes to pax
Ease of use goes to inh
Ease of maintenance goes to inh
Taste goes to inh
Use with glass goes to inh
Price is a wash
Lack of know problems goes to inh

Inh hands down for efficiency of extraction.

Almost everything else makes the INH a winner

Inhalater gives bigger and thicker clouds, easily
Sometimes a vape can be for for a person that likes to grab a peek at themself while vaping to be sure that they look "cool"... and just like the guy that loves a pretty face over a deep soul... there is a price to pay for superficiality.

Basically I felt like they were saying the Pax is all about looks and no quality, but your post put some of those worries to rest. I guess I need to remember that that was a thread specifically for owners of the Vape in question, so it will probably be a more one-sided discussion.

However, I have also heard that the Pax has problems with the mouthpiece getting stuck down. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, again, for the help!

CG,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
However, I have also heard that the Pax has problems with the mouthpiece getting stuck down. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Keep in mind those are opinions not facts.

I have had no problems with the stuck mouthpiece or the stuck temperature button. Both of these issues are caused mostly if not entirely by improper cleaning. If you know this and take care with your Pax, you shouldn't have problems. Incidentally, don't judge the overall problem rate for the Pax by the number of complaints in the Pax thread. Remember, the people most likely to post are the ones having a problem. I understand that the warranty claim/return rate for the Pax is actually pretty low.

The temperature button can get stuck if you let ISO get on it. I haven't found any reason to use ISO in that part of the Pax, however. It shouldn't be exposed to vapour and in my experience, it isn't.

The mouthpiece gets stuck because resins accumulate and condense on and around the spring and mechanism that actuate the heater and hold the mouthpiece retracted. Proper cleaning in this area can fix and/or prevent the problem. Another thing that helps is to make sure your material is dry, since moist material produces more sticky resin.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Basically I felt like they were saying the Pax is all about looks and no quality, but your post put some of those worries to rest. I guess I need to remember that that was a thread specifically for owners of the Vape in question, so it will probably be a more one-sided discussion.

Well, I have slight issues with my Pax and the temp light but I think it's due to the spring area getting dirty. I've pretty much been able to fix it if I wipe my mouthpiece in rubbing alcohol and push it down. No problems. Then I use it. (Not sure if that's good or not). LOL

Anyhow, I have never used the Inhalater, but what I can tell you is that the Pax delivers awfully tasty vapor at low temp. You can get quite the tasty vapor. Then I put that beast up to medium and hit it up good. I get some ridiculous hits. I'm not sure how much you can pack in the Inhalator, but I find .25 packed very tight is the optimal weight for me to get sick clouds. .2 and I just don't get that much. It's weird.

Anyhow, any questions, let me know. I like the inhalator but feels like it sticks out way more than my Pax which looks like some electronic gizmo like an Apple product or something.

newVaper420,
Reactions: max

max

Out to lunch
I have the DaVinci and like it a lot. I certainly wouldn't say it's better than the Pax (or vice versa) without expanding on that statement. I'd be leery of any 'opinion' stating that one vape is better than another, without qualification. Vapes have different designs/features, as far as suiting one person's needs/wants, but maybe not another. It's like buying a car. It often comes down to which model fits you best, concerning looks, features, and how you drive.

As for the DV leaking, I haven't heard that complaint, and the two I've used have very good fit and finish. If that's not the case, and the mouthpiece section doesn't seal properly when closed, then it becomes a defect and a warranty situation. I find this model easy to use, clean, and it can provide good hits. It's available on eBay or Amazon for about $150 (very good price IMO), but you may not get warranty coverage if you go with a low ball seller.

I'd say the Pax is the most popular of the new stealth portables, but probably also takes more attention (as pakalolo notes) to keep things going smoothly. Personally, I'm satisfied with the DV to the point that the Pax and Inhalator don't interest me, but you may decide that one of the others suits you better.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Keep in mind those are opinions not facts.

Also keep in mind you were reading those opinions in the inhalater thread. I'm sure if it was a discussion happening in the Pax thread as well as the Inhalater thread there would be some interesting counter points made. Don't get me wrong, I luuurve my inhalater and the times I've tried a pax have left me feeling 'meh', but that's not to say the pax is not a good vape as well. I don't think anyone meant to trash the PAX, but just got a little overzealous in their love of the Inhalater.

That being said, if I had all of my vapes stolen from today and only had the money to buy one replacement, I would go for the inhalater without a second thought. The Pax is pretty and all but it is a conduction vape which changes the character of the vapor quite a bit from the mix of convection/conduction I'm used to from my current line.

I guess what it comes down to is looks, charging interface and heating type. My vote goes for the inhalater, but I am biased. Though soon I will be getting a Pax for review and then maybe that will change.

CentiZen,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
@OP: "to determine the best vape for you" we need to know your PRIORITIES;

Is it aesthetics, easiness of use, vapor production, vapor flavor, battery life, versatility, possible in charge usage... Then we will be able to give you some usefull orientations!

So I have both the Pax and the INH, my associate Raph has the DV (but I haven't tested it yet):

-The pax is the most pretty IMO (but I'm a total Apple fanboy so my aesthetic opinion is totally biased on that one!
-The INH is the most complete portable vape IMO (complete in my book means it has the best average quote considering all these "categories" I was talking about before-easiness of use, flavor, hits, easiness to clean, battery life etc...)
-The DV looks to me like the son of a solo & an iolite union , but that's me and I still have to test that little boy!

FLskwat,
Reactions: vorrange

weedemon

enthusiast
the more and more i hear about hte inh... fuck... looks like im buying another :p

haha as for the pax, i have had the mouthpiece issue a few times, it's not a big deal though. just press very gently right overtop of where the shaft part of the mouthpiece is and it will come up after a few tries.

also when cleaning the pax, less iso is way better than more. you can "melt" your heat button if you get it all over it. by melt, I mean it will fuse and get stuck. I had it happen to me, and only by pressing hard was i able to fix it. again no problems since... i learned my lesson about cleaning.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
You know, I'm starting to think that the button issue isn't so much because of the composition of the button, but rather that ISO infused with resin has gotten in there and gummed it up. Little comfort to those affected for sure, but I don't think that the button issue is caused by the plastic melting

CentiZen,
Reactions: weedemon

CG

I appreciate all the responses a lot. The more I learn about these vapes the harder the decision is becoming! Honestly it seems like no one has been disappointed with any of these, and if you own one you almost always swear by it! The fact that I can find the Davinci for only $150 is a pretty good deal, but hmm...

@OP: "to determine the best vape for you" we need to know your PRIORITIES;
Is it aesthetics, easiness of use, vapor production, vapor flavor, battery life, versatility, possible in charge usage... Then we will be able to give you some useful orientations!

My priorities are as such: Stealth, easiness (it will be my first vape!), efficiency (conserving material), vapor quality/production, aesthetics, battery life. I guess smell (It may get used in my dorm) goes with stealth, but from what I understand most of the smell from these vaporizers is pretty similar and a lot of the smell simply comes from getting the material ready for use. I should have put this in my first post for sure! I really do love how the Pax looks and it is probably my favorite right now, but I just want to be sure I get what I can for my money!

CG,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I appreciate all the responses a lot. The more I learn about these vapes the harder the decision is becoming! Honestly it seems like no one has been disappointed with any of these, and if you own one you almost always swear by it! The fact that I can find the Davinci for only $150 is a pretty good deal, but hmm...

My priorities are as such: Stealth, easiness (it will be my first vape!), efficiency (conserving material), vapor quality/production, aesthetics, battery life. I guess smell (It may get used in my dorm) goes with stealth, but from what I understand most of the smell from these vaporizers is pretty similar and a lot of the smell simply comes from getting the material ready for use. I should have put this in my first post for sure! I really do love how the Pax looks and it is probably my favorite right now, but I just want to be sure I get what I can for my money!

If Efficiency is one of your top concerns, perhaps the PAX is not the wisest choice since it has a large bowl and works better with a full load. As for stealth, only the LB surpasses the PAX.

If stealth is not as necessary as portability, the Solo and the INH are pretty efficient.

The DV is, IMO, in the middle in both categories, not the most efficient or the most stealth, but it is stealth enough and is conservative enough on material if you make it so.

vorrange,

Sonics420

just to chime in, i have a pax and im already tired of all the problems it has. its just not a smooth device, the mouth piece and temp problems are wack..

with that said i wish i had tried the INH.. even though it is ugly i jst want the best thing to vape with..

if u want to be cleaning your vaporizer constantly just to get it to work how it should, then go for the pax.
no matter what anyone says, i use the 99% iso with dental brushes/qtips anything.. i do a good cleaning, the pax starts to work like it should. but 1-2 sessions after u gotta get all that stuff out to clean it once again.

CG

just to chime in, i have a pax and im already tired of all the problems it has. its just not a smooth device, the mouth piece and temp problems are wack..

with that said i wish i had tried the INH.. even though it is ugly i jst want the best thing to vape with..

if u want to be cleaning your vaporizer constantly just to get it to work how it should, then go for the pax.
no matter what anyone says, i use the 99% iso with dental brushes/qtips anything.. i do a good cleaning, the pax starts to work like it should. but 1-2 sessions after u gotta get all that stuff out to clean it once again.

Could you expand on the temp problems? Did you mean the button or actual temperature problems? And I was under the impression that you only have to clean it every 5-7 sessions...that doesn't sounds good.

CG,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Could you expand on the temp problems? Did you mean the button or actual temperature problems? And I was under the impression that you only have to clean it every 5-7 sessions...that doesn't sounds good.

The number of sessions between cleaning depends heavily on what you put in your Pax and how you use it so it varies widely. See my cleaning post in the Pax thread.

pakalolo,

CG

If Efficiency is one of your top concerns, perhaps the PAX is not the wisest choice since it has a large bowl and works better with a full load.

Yeah it seems a big bowl has it's ups and downs, however I've heard that you can fill a bowl halfway and it still works pretty well. Is this true at all or does it really need to be filled all the way for it to function correctly?

The number of sessions between cleaning depends heavily on what you put in your Pax and how you use it so it varies widely. See my cleaning post in the Pax thread.

That seems more like what I've read elsewhere. The drier the better it seems.

Again thanks so much for the help!

CG,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yeah it seems a big bowl has it's ups and downs, however I've heard that you can fill a bowl halfway and it still works pretty well. Is this true at all or does it really need to be filled all the way for it to function correctly?

I've used it half full and with even less. As an experiment I used about what I put in the LB trench, which is about a third of a Pax oven. I didn't pack it down either. It worked about as I expected: decent vapour, used up a lot faster than the LB would. The positive aspect was that since it was loose I could shake it between hits, so the flavour lasted longer.

When I switched to vapourizing the thing that I liked the most about it was the flavour. The Pax is not the best choice for a flavour connisseur, because its lowest temperature is much too high and it vapourizes the load too quickly. Additionally, the Pax adds its own note to the flavour. It's not offensive (to me anyway) but vapour from the Pax does not taste exactly like the same material in the LB or the Extreme.

weedemon

enthusiast
You know, I'm starting to think that the button issue isn't so much because of the composition of the button, but rather that ISO infused with resin has gotten in there and gummed it up. Little comfort to those affected for sure, but I don't think that the button issue is caused by the plastic melting

thats a good point it would well be.

weedemon,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
There's always going to be lovers and haters of products, especially competing products. I have a MFLB and I can't stand it. I've never been able to get it to work well for me. I've watched every tutorial and listened to every tip I could find. The MFLB just isn't for me, but others love it. A buddy of mine came over with his PAX loaded up with a fresh packing of Silver Haze and I fell in love. Do you have to clean it? Yes. How often? It depends on how often you use it and the quality and moistness of your material. Does it produce thick clouds? You're damn skippy it does. I was using it through my mini bong today (you just need a couple inches of 1/2" ID silicone tubing and an 18mm joint) and it was milking up just as thick looking as smoke. Personally, I think it offers some of the best flavor I've ever experienced from a vaporizer. The PAX just works for me, but it may not work for the next guy. I will say that everyone that I've showed the PAX to and let them try it absolutely love it. I had a chance to use one before I made the decision to buy and that helped immensely. If my buddy had showed up with an INH that day then I'd probably be telling you to go with one of those.

Deadshort480,

GOATPUSSY

If I had to do it all again....

I would buy an underdog twig and a few 12v car batteries. That is the ultimate portable!!

Stacimay

I have the Vapir mini O2 and would like to get away from a cord. I'm looking at MFLB or dragon lite. Any comments? Which would you suggest, if either, and why?

mod note: Merged because this is the current active portable vape thread

Stacimay,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have the Vapir mini O2 and would like to get away from a cord. I'm looking at MFLB or dragon lite. Any comments? Which would you suggest, if either, and why?

mod note: Merged because this is the current active portable vape thread

The Dragon Lite is a MFLB knock-off and for that reason alone I would advise against it. See the Dragon Lite Portable thread.

pakalolo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom