Discontinued The 8 Herb Vaporizer for the Persei

OF

Nobody else seems concerned about a $200 conduction vaping *attachment* so I'll keep quiet. Don't want to derail this hype train.

I can't speak for the others, of course, but for sure I'm concerned about a $200 anything....including an ounce of bud (long as it's been since I've seen a $200 ounce worth buying). And I don't see raising honest questions as trying to derail anything that has business on the tracks, but I'm against conclusions about performance based on rumor, speculation, or the like when first hand experience is at hand. You might discount DubC (being an employee), but SC is a few days away from his testing being done (hopefully) and I plan on following.

There should be time enough to refine opinions based on some hopefully objective observations very soon. Until then, I encourage you to speak your mind....but expect others to do so as well? So, I share your concerns, but wish to hold off a week or so before considering further.

Thanks.

I know, I know. But I think I can do it. I wouldn't blame folks at all for packing a pick nick lunch, bringing the family and making a day of it......would you?

Let's face it, neither of us is likely to be keeping any secrets about this one. Which is why, I believe, G picked us for the duty? I know what the folks here expect; chips called where they fall. They deserve no less.

OF

OF,

OF

i picked you OF and sinclue because you will speak your mind and we have nothing hide.

A vote of confidence in both us and your product that speaks volumes to any who care to listen as I see it. You have, I believe, every reason to fear either of us is going to expose whatever we discover but are balancing that against your confidence in the final design of this product. Aggressive? You bet, but such seems to be your style.

And in the end, the good members of this Forum reap the benefits of it all. How cool is that?

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
A vote of confidence in both us and your product that speaks volumes to any who care to listen as I see it. You have, I believe, every reason to fear either of us is going to expose whatever we discover but are balancing that against your confidence in the final design of this product. Aggressive? You bet, but such seems to be your style.

And in the end, the good members of this Forum reap the benefits of it all. How cool is that?

OF

Well there is a reason for this madness brotha, you know it and i know it. Im a patient just like you. I make things that work for me, and push my self to make it the best to my abilities you know.

One thing is for sure.

I help start this industry with the pure oil carts. But thanks to Gold, yes the guy behind Gold caps and the THC Gold who told me you could not do a ecig cartridge that can work with pure oils well we proved him wrong. In 2010 and 2011. So please do your best on telling me how crappy my product is. Im sure i can take it :cool:

Drastic

Vape4Life
G your a fuckin medical pioneer!! Your like the guy that invented the stethoscope in the 1800's!

DubC, Sinclue, or OF, can you guys post some close up pics of the chamber? Does this thing come apart for cleaning at all? Maybe some pics of the parts? Would answer a lot of questions for us.

Drastic,

zmurder

So a question re: the conduction heating then. Since G suggests putting the herb in and then letting the 8 heat up, how much vapor is lost due to conduction during this heat-up period. This is obviously a subjective question, so it may only be answerable via before/after pics. That is, put the herb in, let the 8 heat up, then take the herb out (without hitting it) to see if it's lost any color already. From an earlier video it seems like this thing is losing a lot of vapor when it's not being drawn on.

zmurder,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
So a question re: the conduction heating then. Since G suggests putting the herb in and then letting the 8 heat up, how much vapor is lost due to conduction during this heat-up period. This is obviously a subjective question, so it may only be answerable via before/after pics. That is, put the herb in, let the 8 heat up, then take the herb out (without hitting it) to see if it's lost any color already. From an earlier video it seems like this thing is losing a lot of vapor when it's not being drawn on.

I have done that comparison on the solo and there is no difference from my experience. There is very little that escapes during warm up. But just like the Solo if you load a bowl and let it sit there for 10 minutes it will cook a bowl for sure.

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
i picked you OF and sinclue because you will speak your mind and we have nothing hide.

G is straight about this, folks.

I PM'd him earlier about the parameters for my review. Asked if there any restrictions and would he prefer my comments (esp any negatives) go through him. Even asked if I could post any pictures.

As far as he is concerned its all an open book. He'll read about it here, just like everybody else.

Couldn't ask for more honesty and openness.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
G is straight about this, folks.

I PM'd him earlier about the parameters for my review. Asked if there any restrictions and would he prefer my comments (esp any negatives) go through him. Even asked if I could post any pictures.

As far as he is concerned its all an open book. He'll read about it here, just like everybody else.

Couldn't ask for more honesty and openness.

Honesty is what drives us, and the more honest opinions the harder we work on trying to perfect the products. Cant wait for your review sinclue.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Honesty is what drives us, and the more honest opinions the harder we work on trying to perfect the products. Cant wait for your review sinclue.

Yeah SC, this will be a big step in this process. An exciting one where everyone gets to see what the proto has to offer, and where G decides to take it from there. I have no doubts that most everyone here wants nothing but success and development within this product line and company. And having members who can give their full opinion, while using science, to review and check and improve the equipment. Its just that much better that G allows forum members to handle the protos so he can get the facts and feel reports. Id love to be a part of the development process for THC sci. They know where they want to go and they have the means of getting there.

Porquiplane,

Sinclue

Testing the 8

I’m going to assume you’ve watched DubC’s video presentation of his testing. After me, you’ll get a more technical breakdown I expect from OF.

From me you get the meat and potatoes approach. You give me this thing and tell me its to vape herb material so that’s what I’m going to use it for. I appreciate that lots of folks can’t wait to “mod” things...more power to them because lots of progress in development springs from some of that I’d say. But I use things for what they’re intended to be used for by and large.

That being said let me remind one and all this is a prototype device. Hopefully what we’re doing is providing feedback that will be helpful in further development.

Mostly I’ll provide sort of a log of each session with some comments as appropriate. There will be some jumping around, of necessity as I’m sure you’ll see.

This is a conduction unit. The “heater” is mainly a center rod. Sort of like taking the Hammer tip and pushing it up through the bottom of the bowl. The herb sits (loosely in these tests unless otherwise noted)in the bowl around the heater tip. Couldn’t tell if the bowl is supposed to also got hot or not.

Day1/Session 1
Average grind measured about .3g in cold unit. Dumped it out to heat up empty.
Lid/mouthpiece off.
NOTE: can only be adjusted in 10º jumps (although it reads values in between) and only reads in Fº. I think it needs 5º jumps. And why not switchable to Cº?

2mins 30 seconds to heat up to 350º
+1 min to get to 370º
+1 min to 380º
Added herb and mouthpiece (minute 5) Puffs were moderate.
Boost to 390º (additional minute to reach temp). Puffs more substantial but after #4 started to taste combusted.
At that point (minute 7 approx.) display starts to go white in the upper corners. Within a minute whole display is completely obscured. Tried pushing button to shut it off, but without display couldn’t be sure I had it off. So I unscrewed the bottom to make sure it was off. Set the parts on the windowsill to cool off.
Examined the ABV and noted significant charring/blackening of approx. 20% of material.

>>>>>>IMPORTANT NOTE<<<<<<<<
THIS SUCKER IS HOT HOT HOT. DANGEROUSLY SO

Not only is the bowl at 370º (or whatever) but the outside is damn near the same temperature. Touch it and be very sorry. Screwing the mouthpiece on and off is an adventure as it is not easy to grip. While drawing on it the heat radiates up into your face. Set it down carefully (small base) and if it starts to tip over jump out of the way. Resist the urge to catch it. It’s not 451º but I bet it would char paper or ruin the finish on some table or chair. Have a hot pad standing by.

Gonna need some serious thought to insulation G.

>>>>>Again, remember THIS IS A PROTOTYPE<<<<<<

If you’ve been paying attention you know they’ll make it right.

D1S2
One hour cool down from first session. Started with same batteries but mouthpiece/top in place. Bowl empty. .3g standing by.
4 mins to get to 370º
Loaded with herb (top threads sticky and difficult to unscrew...needed hot pad to hold unit to unscrew mouthpiece)
First couple of puffs light vapor.
Kicked up to 380º vapor stronger, but not quite there
Up to 390º (where’s 385º????) and vapor much stronger ,but was at the 8 minute mark and the whiteout started. Within a minute all obscured. Unscrewed unit to insure shutdown.

ABV-much more thorough vape. No charring. Good browning.

(Don’t forget important note above re: HOT HOT HOT/ Prototype, etc)

D1S3
Same batts, top on, empty.
5minutes 15 seconds to get to 370º
Added my .3g
Took two hits and display faded to black. All buttons shut down. Brief red glow in main power button.
Disassembled to cool and recharge batteries.

By the way, these are not any of the batteries you’ve already got. These are heavier duty IMRs kindly loaned to me by OF. Hope I didn’t toast them.

D2 to follow tomorrow (duh)...if you can take it.

JoeKickass

Interesting, I usually take my HA from 325 to 375 personally, but it's good to test at the extremes too

I think the white-out is the lcd screen actually changing due to the heat, it's just a liquid between two panes of glass so repeated over-heating should definitely be addressed...

JoeKickass,

Sinclue

Interesting, I usually take my HA from 325 to 375 personally, but it's good to test at the extremes too

I think the white-out is the lcd screen actually changing due to the heat, it's just a liquid between two panes of glass so repeated over-heating should definitely be addressed...

The vape range I've commonly heard is 365-395. I used to run my ExtremeQ at 385. Different vapes seem to have different "sweet" spots in my experience. I certainly expected that it should run comfortably at 380 or 390. I wasn't generating much in the way of vapor in the 360-370 range with this.

In any case, wouldn't want to touch it even at 325!

Tomorrow I'll try different strains and grinds. Ah, the burdens of testing :smug:

Right now it looks like a charged set of batteries is only good for two sessions. Then hour and a half+ to recharge...or more batteries.

Sinclue,

OF

Great going, SC. I agree with JKA, the display is most likely a non issue in the next pass. I guess I missed why run one was different than 2 in terms of production and charring. I'm sure it'll get straight in my head in time.

Not to worry about beating up the IMR batteries, I'll be doing the exact same thing. I note the time to temperature seems a good indication of battery condition. Is there any readout of the condition (voltage display, low battery warning, that sort of stuff)?

Thanks for the update.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking a few minutes to reach vamping temperature, then again their are a few things to consider, I'll wait for OF's review to compare and see if their is anything that's out of the ordinary.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: OF

OF

I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking a few minutes to reach vamping temperature, then again their are a few things to consider, I'll wait for OF's review to compare and see if their is anything that's out of the ordinary.

With you there. It occurs to me that SC may be standing it on end with the chamber empty and the cap off and therefore be trying to heat the room up with it. I'll bet by the time it gets up to say 300 degrees there's some serious hot air escaping. That has to slow the process and eat up the battery. I'm gonna suggest SC tries a run with the top on (can be loose) to see if it takes time off the 'time to temperature' measurement?

For sure, more data is called for..... Lucky we have some herb at hand.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
With you there. It occurs to me that SC may be standing it on end with the chamber empty and the cap off and therefore be trying to heat the room up with it. I'll bet by the time it gets up to say 300 degrees there's some serious hot air escaping. That has to slow the process and eat up the battery. I'm gonna suggest SC tries a run with the top on (can be loose) to see if it takes time off the 'time to temperature' measurement?

OF

Could be, when we where testing it I always loaded cold and put the cap on and started to vape soon as temp reached 280F. Setting was at 320F

Remember I think the display is off by 20F so we shall see. When I get the unit back and tear into it.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Sinclue

OF

First run heated with cap off.
Second, third cap on.
Always empty...so far...another variable...as I said "more testing".

Apologize if report is somewhat incoherent...nature of the "work". Basically a transcription of my notes with commentary.

Targeting standard vape temp range 365-395.

No info except temp and "off" on display that I can figure. F only...no C

Sinclue,

OF

First run heated with cap off.
Second, third cap on.
Always empty...so far...another variable...as I said "more testing".

Thanks for the additional information....so much for that theory.....

Press on, lad, press on!

OF

OF,

DubCRider

Super secret. You have to know Peter and believe in Bangarang.

Nah, it's pretty easy to see with my young eyes.

Top Bottom