Discontinued The 8 Herb Vaporizer for the Persei

OF

Super secret. You have to know Peter and believe in Bangarang.

Nah, it's pretty easy to see with my young eyes.

Ah, so! Lucky we all have young eyes.....or will they be included with production versions? What information is available there?

TIA. I can see how a manual might be popular. I bet we can get ten bucks a copy from new owners?

OF

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
Super secret. You have to know Peter and believe in Bangarang.

Nah, it's pretty easy to see with my young eyes.

Bangarang? Is that Skrillex or Lost Boys?

Young eyes? Are you sure that's not just too many drops w/o helmet giving you special sight?

Second round of testing this evening...different grinds, strains, loading...shooting for 360-370 range on this machine. Swiped my wife's Oven Glove to use. After some more putting it through its paces I hope to be able to settle on a usable combo to try out with some friends. I'll try looking at the display at different angles, but I expect its a reaction to the heat. Did you get any other readings besides temp and "off"?

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer

Young eyes? Are you sure that's not just too many drops w/o helmet giving you special sight?

Second round of testing this evening...different grinds, strains, loading...shooting for 360-370 range on this machine. Swiped my wife's Oven Glove to use. After some more putting it through its paces I hope to be able to settle on a usable combo to try out with some friends. I'll try looking at the display at different angles, but I expect its a reaction to the heat. Did you get any other readings besides temp and "off"?

SC hold the unit from the bottom where you thumb lands on the power button.

Orange light means its powering the unit, blue light means its on standby. also try 300 - 320F not 380.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

OF

Funny you should bring that up SC, the 8 must be giving you great insghts. I too have wondered about DubC. I don't think it's a helmet issue necessarily, but it probably is skate board related. I don't for a minute it's the little voices like he claims, do you?

OF

Sinclue

SC hold the unit from the bottom where you thumb lands on the power button.

Orange light means its powering the unit, blue light means its on standby. also try 300 - 320F not 380.

Once its on you can't hold it anyplace else :lol:

Remember about standby, etc from what you and DubC told me.

OK Boss, Will try lower temp range too.

Does that mean 320 in Australia=380 US? :cool:

OF

Does that mean 320 in Australia=380 US? :cool:

That's what I hear too. And there's more alcohol in their beer. I used to think it had to do with the metric system, but now I think it's that bit about going the other way when you flush it.....

Of course it could also be that thing with throwing the bent sticks, couldn't it? For sure they are different. Even if they do talk like us. Sorta.

OF

OF,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut

lost boys. you guys are showing ur age
it was a robin williams movie called Hook from the early 90's. i have little brothers that's how i know. was a teenager at the time, lol
thought about getting an Ove Glove, glad to know it works well.

Bob Loblaw,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking a few minutes to reach vamping temperature, then again their are a few things to consider, I'll wait for OF's review to compare and see if their is anything that's out of the ordinary.

Thats no bueno! Much slower than my solo my comparison. I dont remember it taking that long to heat up and yes this thing is dangerous as currerntly designed. It's like vaping from a hot curling iron. not good to have that kind of heat close to ones face....

and the temp display on that thing seemed whack. G even said they haven't calibrated it yet. 340 was too hot for me and I run my solo on 380-420 regularly and 340 seemed more like 400 on the solo from the flavor standpoint. Anyone clean that rig yet.

comments on flavor.

ru_frothi,

Sinclue

lost boys. you guys are showing ur age
it was a robin williams movie called Hook from the early 90's. i have little brothers that's how i know. was a teenager at the time, lol
thought about getting an Ove Glove, glad to know it works well.

Had a nephew who used to watch Hook over and over and over.....We'd babysit sometimes and I swear I got so I could quote almost all the lines. lol

Sinclue

Thats no bueno! Much slower than my solo my comparison. I dont remember it taking that long to heat up and yes this thing is dangerous as currerntly designed. It's like vaping from a hot curling iron. not good to have that kind of heat close to ones face....

Neither of my solos take that long (ceramic and ss) either.

Hence the testing.

These guinea pigs sacrifice willingly!

Sinclue,

OF

It's like vaping from a hot curling iron. not good to have that kind of heat close to ones face....

Agreed. 400 degrees is nothing to get casual about. Still it's necessary to what we need done, and it's a beast that can be tamed. If the concept and performance is sound I'm sure packaging and the display issues can be sorted out easily enough.

I'm starting to get curious about all this myself. Nice to have SC running interference for me and all but I'm looking forward to taking the reins for a few times around the track.

OF

OF,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Neither of my solos take that long (ceramic and ss) either.

Hence the testing.

These guinea pigs sacrifice willingly!

nice to know we have another solo user here for frame of reference. G can't talk about the manufacturers vapes but luckily we can :)

I also have ceramic and SS solos. 4 actually. 2 of each. They are spread around.

Vaping some chem x blueberry thats so tasty from the Ceramic as I write this.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: Sinclue

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Guys we have a fix for the heating issue and working on a faster heat time, when we tested it it didn't take that long to heat up, I'm guessing something's up with the unit, technique or batteries.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Sinclue

8 Testing...Day the second

Yesterday was more stress/limits testing.
Today more like regular user testing. Experimenting with loading, grinds, and strains at lower base temps.
Oh yeah, controls don’t line up with Persei logo...opposite each other...for those who care.

D2/S1

Per G’s recommendation started with 320º on display.
Perhaps OF has the equipment to compare display to actual temps?

Standard vape grind/pre-loaded .3g/mouthpiece on/target 320º

1 minute 45 seconds hit target temp.
light vapor with slow or heavy pulls...minor temp drop (+/- 5º)

At 2:30 bumped temp to 330º (10 seconds to temp)
stronger vapor with heavier pulls...similar temp drop

At 3:45 bumped to 340º (<10 seconds)
good heavy flavored vapor, but end of bowl after two pulls.

At 5:00 shut down (set to “Off”)
Emptied and left mouthpiece off to aid cooling.

ABV—good looking. You could probably get a couple more hits off it with a major machine like the ExtremeQ, but very good for this application.

Overall a better round. Still hot as Hades, but I expect that will be addressed or they’ll get a battery of attorneys on retainer.
A 5º bump is really needed I think. With this batch 335º would have hit the spot.

More later after unit cools down and my eyes uncross.

OF

That's sounding more like your finding the groove to me. Five minutes to the end, shutdown before the display died, good looking AVB? Which ever way that was....I'd try more?

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I have a pyrometer around here somewhere, and a friend who has access to a thermal camera......or did.....if we want to go real whiz bang on this.

OF

OF,

JoeKickass

If you want to try 5 degree increments try experimenting with hitting during the warm up when you change temps up, then change temp back down and repeat. I wonder how that would work...

JoeKickass,

Sinclue

If you want to try 5 degree increments try experimenting with hitting during the warm up when you change temps up, then change temp back down and repeat. I wonder how that would work...

Didn't mention that, but did try what you're suggesting I believe.

Sinclue

8 Testing

About 8 minutes for unit to cool down enough to handle barehanded.

D2/S2

Approx. 1 hour between tests
Same grind/pre-loaded .35g/mouthpiece on

Target 340º

2:10 to hit target temp.
good vapor with a variety of pulling strengths
finished off bowl at same setting.

4:30 shut down unit

ABV—pretty thorough browning except top layer (above heater spike lever I would guess) which showed little evidence of vaping. Stirring during session might be an option with a better insulated unit. Threads of mouthpiece get sticky with herb bits and make it harder to remove “in action”. Capacity without packing it down is about .3g it would seem.

Probably will do one more run with these batteries before recharging. Leave it to OF to do more extensive power testing.

Considering: adjusting the grind to coarser
packing the bowl more densely

OF

Better and better.

Can you leave enough room in the bowl to mix it by shaking? Perhaps that's not important if it's vaping uniformly?

Thanks for the update.

OF

OF,

JoeKickass

ABV—pretty thorough browning except top layer (above heater spike lever I would guess) which showed little evidence of vaping.

Hmm if G could raise the center post and possibly counter-sink it into the top maybe no stirring/totally even abv?

JoeKickass,

Sinclue

8 Testing

Ok kiddies, last run of the day.

D2/S3

Target 340º/mouthpiece on/same stuff
Per OF suggestion I loaded .2g. Originally used .3 because that’s what the bowl seemed to hold empty.
.2 definitely gave more room in the bowl.

2:40 to reach temp. This is third run with these batteries.

Good vapor pulls at most strengths. Temp flucuations about 5º +/-

Inverted and shook contents several times during session. Tapped base into palm of hand to settle contents and unit shut down completely. I think that was because the bottom pressure plate in the Persei base probably wasn’t screwed up enough to maintain contact when I tapped it.

Ended session at 5:00.

ABV-Pretty dark...probably could have shortened session and had it come out better, or it might have had something to do with the lesser quantity and the shaking.

Tomorrow: The Mysteries of the Mouthpiece

If you’ve got any requests you’d like me to try with it (be nice now) let me know.
Remember my mandate is to test an herb vaporizer (i.e. plant material). I don’t have any water based hash, but I do have some kief I might try out layered or mixed.

Sinclue,

OF

Cool, SC, thanks for trying a looser load, sounds like it has some promise. I think at least some users will be interested in small loads (like MFLB level, even less?). Funny how it resets itself if shaken too hard.....that's a feature, right?

Not to worry about the bubble hash testing, I'm planning on doing so and have the stash standing by. Also a couple strains of herb (moist and dry).

3 sessions from the charge? It seems to be getting slow to temperature again, do you think it's got another bowl left in this charge?

OF

OF,

Sinclue

Cool, SC, thanks for trying a looser load, sounds like it has some promise. I think at least some users will be interested in small loads (like MFLB level, even less?). Funny how it resets itself if shaken too hard.....that's a feature, right?

Not to worry about the bubble hash testing, I'm planning on doing so and have the stash standing by. Also a couple strains of herb (moist and dry).

3 sessions from the charge? It seems to be getting slow to temperature again, do you think it's got another bowl left in this charge?

OF

Didn't actually reset itself. I had to turn it back on once I realized it was completely off. I've adjusted the base plate upwards to push the batteries up against the bottom contact. (Wait until you get a load of that). I can try the tapping again tomorrow.

Probably had at least another 5 minute session on the batts. Didn't want to push them and perhaps mess them up. Next tester would probably appreciate having a working set.

Got kief? Want me to save that test for you too?

Sinclue,

OF

Probably had at least another 5 minute session on the batts. Didn't want to push them and perhaps mess them up. Next tester would probably appreciate having a working set.

Got kief? Want me to save that test for you too?

Yet better. The battery life is coming back into line, I suspect there is a temperature indication issue. A little more heat usually means a lot more energy to get it. This is why MFLB 'self regulates' so well. They've carefully controlled this effect so wide changes in battery condition don't change temperature very much.

Yo got 3 full sessions and suspect a fourth is there for the asking? I think we're close to par there. Well done.

Yes, I've got some kief set aside as well now, press on! Aren't you about ready to take it on the road?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom