The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
For clarity, I was not saying I subscribe to the DNC homicide conspiracy theory, I was just pointing out that one, I thought it was "strange" and two, was that others are calling it a conspiracy. I need more.

For the record, I think we landed on the moon, JFK had a single shooter and our government let 9/11 happen on purpose.

PS, it can rain fish and frogs, alien life is out there and there is no god that cares about us, in my opinion.

No ghosts, no bigfoot, no devil either.. just us.:evil:

Last edited:

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
I don't think trump is the devil, I think he is corrupted by money and greedy. He poops like the rest of us.

Joel W.,

ReggieB

No he doesn't. His poop gets backed up directly to his brain and then exits his mouth. His asshole doesn't reside between the cheeks of his butt but rather between the cheeks of his face.
at least that's the theory...

ReggieB,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The idea that Trump is no worse than anyone else is part of the problem. He is WAY WORSE than anyone else.....
Donald Trump Fuels the Confederate Insurgency
Even if Trump loses, he’s done plenty of harm.

by Nancy LeTourneau
August 11, 2016 10:31 AM
Political Animal Blog
Mr_Donald_Trump6.jpg
Michael Vadon/Flickr

I am growing less worried that the American people will actually elect Donald Trump to be our next president (caveat: I know, complacency is not allowed – that’s why I just wrote, “Don’t Boo…Vote!”) What I’m growing more concerned about lately is the prospect of what happens when he loses. That is precisely what is so troubling about his 2nd Amendment remedy remarks this week.

No matter how much he and his campaign try to spin what he said, Trump has a long history of making incendiary remarks himself and looking the other way when his supporters do so. That is exactly what Michael Crowley documented yesterday. I remember when it donned on me just how dangerous Trump is. It happened when he made these remarks about people who were protesting at his rallies.

“Part of the problem and part of the reason it takes so long [to kick them out] is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore,” Trump said during a speech at the Peabody Opera House — around 12 miles from Ferguson, Mo., the site of racially charged mass protests in 2014.

“There used to be consequences. There are none anymore,” Trump said.

As I wrote at the time, there are many of us who remember the days when the response was to “hurt” protesters.

We have no desire to go back to those times.

The reason it is dangerous for a presidential candidate to say these kinds of things is that there has been a growing threat of a new confederate insurgency that has been primed by conservatives over the last eight years. That was the subject of my very first post here at the Washington Monthly almost two years ago. In it, I quoted an important piece by Doug Muder titled, “Not a Tea Party, a Confederate Party.” Here is how he described the mindset that connects the two:

The essence of the Confederate worldview is that the democratic process cannot legitimately change the established social order, and so all forms of legal and illegal resistance are justified when it tries…

The Confederate sees a divinely ordained way things are supposed to be, and defends it at all costs. No process, no matter how orderly or democratic, can justify fundamental change.

When Donald Trump forecasts a rigged election, talks about 2nd Amendment remedies, and (as he did last night) suggests that President Obama and Hillary Clinton are the founders of ISIS, he is undermining the legitimacy of our democratic process in the minds of those who hold this Confederate worldview and fueling their fantasies about an insurgency.

It is important that we recognize what is going on here. But I refuse to let them make me afraid. This country has faced down much bigger threats that the one posed by a raving Donald Trump. We’ll do so again. It’s simply important to know the stakes and make an informed choice about our response.

Gunky

This is a pretty interesting article about the new positioning of the parties vis a vis economic classes: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/opinion/campaign-stops/is-trump-wrecking-both-parties.html

I am not so certain I agree with the conclusions in the article. I have hopes that during several years of a democratic prez and (fingers crossed) democratic majorities in Congress, progress can be made in raising the wages, educating and training the lower and middle class and re-energizing groups of people like miners, factory workers, etc who have been left behind by technical, global economic, and ecological changes. Clinton has actually spoken about this, though for her pains she only got slammed because her observation that coal mines would shut down and the displaced workers needed support and new directions was turned into a sound bite that made her appear to be the bad person who wants to take away people's livelihood. In fact she was noting an inevitable progression that has little to do with her and, sympathetic to the displaced miners, trying to propose solutions.

Last edited:

gangababa

Theory and practice and practicing what one preaches!

The insanity in the USA today that exists in the hearts of regressives who vote essentially 100% Republican, is dark and dangerous.

And it is the same tribe of those in the USA who say they are more American than the progressive-liberal tribe. They claim to be more US, to be US-er; they are today's USSRs.

Really pay attention to which tribe most often calls for and acts out violence against political enemies; you know, like Trump's devil incarnate Clinton.

In Dallas recently this article was published
Unrepudiated and Unabated, Trump's Climate of Rage Will Find Its Oswald
On 8/11/16 the Dallas Observer reminds about Dallas not so recently,
when this poster was plastered to to poles prior to the sitting President's...
jfkadtreason.jpg

.......................DEATH.
We are not talking about ballots here. The regressive mind sees bullets as remedies
and that is rationally ridiculous.

From the article:
(The late Stanley Marcus, ...retired as head of the Dallas-based Neiman Marcus retail store chain, had lived through the years of extremism in Dallas) "...Marcus gave me verbal portraits of events in Dallas preceding the assassination that feel, as I reread them now, like mirror-images of the dark raucous scenes published by The New York Times last week in a video called, “Unfiltered: Voices from Trump’s Crowds.”

(Prior to October 1963 when Marcus was with U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and former presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson, in a car surrounded by a mob rocking the car), "Vice President Lyndon Johnson and his wife, Lady Bird, were attacked and spat upon by a Dallas mob.
Arkansas Senator J. William Fulbright declined invitations to come to Dallas, telling friends he feared violence."
"The climate of extremism was in no sense limited to public events. Even though he was a recognized leader in the community, Marcus told me he had found social life difficult in the period before Kennedy was killed. I found it very difficult to go to a dinner party without getting into violent discussions. If you disagreed, you were automatically labeled a communist.”
“I have always charged that The Dallas Morning News then was as responsible and as answerable as any single institution, because they never repudiated it.":

Gunky

Notable article documenting Trump's style of bullshittin: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/trump-lies/

It was a mid-December morning in 2007 — the start of an interrogation unlike anything else in the public record of Trump’s life.

Trump had brought it on himself. He had sued a reporter, accusing him of being reckless and dishonest in a book that raised questions about Trump’s net worth. The reporter’s attorneys turned the tables and brought Trump in for a deposition.

For two straight days, they asked Trump question after question that touched on the same theme: Trump’s honesty.

The lawyers confronted the mogul with his past statements — and with his company’s internal documents, which often showed those statements had been incorrect or invented. The lawyers were relentless. Trump, the bigger-than-life mogul, was vulnerable — cornered, out-prepared and under oath.

Thirty times, they caught him.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
As much as I dislike Duh-Donald ..... and will probably be beaten for what I'm about to say.....

I try to steer clear of the more outlandish claims regarding the inner workings of his mind. If you walk into a court of law and testify 'The plaintiff knew blah, blah, blah......' the opposing attorney will likely say 'I object. Calls for knowing the inner workings of someone else mind'.

Another thing I try to steer clear of is the bankruptcies. Bankruptcy is frowned upon but can be a good business practice for the person declaring bankruptcy. Some of Trump's deals were begun with bankruptcy as a potential approach from the very beginning. In some deals he puts in very little of his own money and borrows the majority. If the deal works out he makes a great deal of money. If it doesn't work out he declares bankruptcy and walks away hardly worse for wear. He risked little of his own assets. If someone said - You could put up $10,000 to show good faith and borrow $1,000,000 and if it works out you'll own the resulting asset that will be worth $2,000,000 over time. If it doesn't work out you're only out $10,000 when you declare bankruptcy. The risk-reward ratio is looking good don't you think? It's the little guy and small business folk who get caught in the middle of it that suffer.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying any of this is moral or should even be justified ..... but many of today's IPOs and private tech funded firms start similarly.

The rest of Duh-Donald's antics....open and fair game. Bankruptcy laws were tightened up years ago....maybe that's why he decided to run.

Ok - I'm ready....lets beat up the messenger :o

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
The idea that Trump is no worse than anyone else is part of the problem. He is WAY WORSE than anyone else...

If this was directed at me for saying trump poops like everyone else, then I think you may have misunderstood my point, my bad.

I agree, he is WAY worse than anyone else but he is still human. Not some supernatural being or the orange devil.

If a baby is tought to be a racist bigot, is it the baby's fault? Is the baby the devil then.. No.

Personally, I think he is still just saying the most crazy inflammatory shit he can come up with, for free press and or for his exit plan.

What could be worse than attacking a gold star family? Next..

What could be worse than suggesting violence to your opponent? Next..

What could be worse than that? I have a feeling we shall soon see.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Trump, while not taming his rhetoric seems to have turned down the volume.
Or not...

Capitalizing on stupidity: Today, Trump called Obama a terrorist — something he’s being doing quietly since 2011
Trump knows his backers will believe every outrageous lie about Obama – and he's giving them what they want

obama_trump3.jpg

Barack Obama, Donald Trump (Credit: Reuters/Yuri Gripas/Carlo Allegri/Photo montage by Salon)

Donald Trump has transgressed political norms without consequence for most of his campaign. He appeared to have crossed a line, however, with his attacks on the Khan family two weeks ago. Suddenly, fence-sitting Republicans like Sen. Susan Collins and Rep. Adam Kinzinger decided to abandon ship. Even Trump supporters like Newt Gingrich fumbled for defenses of his behavior.

It was sufficiently bad that the Trump campaign began pushing rumors about an imminent “pivot.” Trump was finally ready to get serious and feign decency. To prove it, he read from hand-held scripts at rallies last weekend, hoping to assuage panicked Republicans. Then he gave a conventional speech on the economy at the Detroit Economic Club. For 72 hours, Trump was almost a normal candidate.

But on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after his latest pivot, Trump returned to form with his most revolting gaffe thus far. At a rally in North Carolina, he drifted off script and joked about the political murder of his opponent, Hillary Clinton. “If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” he said casually. As the crowd obediently booed, he added: “Although the Second Amendment people – maybe there is, I don’t know.” There’s no point in debating the implication here – it’s obvious.

On Wednesday night, Trump continued his non-pivot pivot with a rambling, incoherent speech in Fort Lauderdale. The highlight of the evening consisted in Trump calling the President of the United States a terrorist. “In many respects, you know, they honor President Obama,” Trump said. “ISIS is honoring President Obama. He’s the founder of ISIS. He founded ISIS. And I would say the co-founder would be Crooked Hillary Clinton.”

The allusion to political assassination was genuinely shocking, even by Trump’s abysmal standards, but what he said on Wednesday, while grotesque and false, was anything but surprising. In fact, implying that President Obama is a terrorist is essentially the first thing Trump did as a presidential candidate.

more...
https://www.salon.com/2016/08/11/ca...something-hes-being-doing-quietly-since-2011/

:myday:

lwien

Fox News Latino poll: Clinton holds 46-point lead over Trump among Hispanics (8/11)

Hispanics overwhelmingly believe that the former secretary of state represents their views better than Trump (72 percent to 14 percent). They also trust her more than Trump when it comes making decisions on education (73 to 19 percent), foreign policy (70 to 21 percent), health care (69 to 22 percent) and the economy (61 to 31 percent), among other issues.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/po...lds-46-point-lead-over-trump-among-hispanics/

With Hispanics counting for 17% of the US population, this is a HUGE mountain for Trump to climb and he's not even attempting to climb it. When you add to this that 99% of blacks support Hillary
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/7/hillary-clinton-dominates-donald-trump-99-percent-/ and that Hillary has MUCH more support from women in general and that is growing all the time, to me, the handwriting is already on the wall and I don't think ANYTHING from any emails that came out or will come out will change the outcome of this so-called race simply because, along with the above stats, it makes perfect logical sense that people would much rather have a dishonest crook with their fingers on the button of the nukes than someone who is unstable, unpredictable and short-tempered.

As far as I'm concerned, it's.............case closed.

Edit: The ONLY thing that could enter into this equation is the complacency factor for the Dems but things are soooo polarized and so heated up that I can't imagine any complacency from either side factoring into this election.

Last edited:
lwien,
Reactions: Snappo

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Trump's statement regarding the race this afternoon makes me believe he really doesn't want to win that bad. He said he's going to keep doing what he's been doing. If he doesn't win he said he will have a vacation.

The third party candidate at least gives folks an extra option, especially for the republicans. Both men are former republican governors.

Last edited:

lwien

Trump's statement regarding the race this afternoon makes me believe he really doesn't want to win that bad. He said he's going to keep doing what he's been doing. If he doesn't win he said he will have a vacation.

Yeah, I heard that as well. I've never heard ANY candidate say anything as fatalistic as that before. It sure does seem like he's already rationalizing his defeat.

There has not been one poll that has come out that indicates that the spread between him and Clinton is closing. It just keeps getting wider and Trump just stated today that he will NOT try to be more presidential but rather to continue on the same course as was laid out during the primaries.... http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...to-take-a-nice-long-1470922191-htmlstory.html

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Not sure what Trump said means he called Obama a terrorist. More like who's responsible. There is a really decent argument to be made that Obama and Hilary's policies are what lead to the rise of Isis. We left all our equipment for them, we didn't make sure the countries were stabilized before we left, and Hilary has pretty much gotten caught giving arms to Isis in Syria before they were such a threat to the region. The Obama admin left a power vacuum with their exit strategy and by that action also armed them indirectly and directly.

Top Bottom