The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I agree it's not as easy to road-block someone who represents a larger demographic but I don't think it carries more weight than the standard us versus them at the party level.
I think people are WAY more connected to their race and their gender than they are to their political party, if for no other reason than they can (easily) change their party. When people USE race and gender to manipulate each other it is MUCH more personal.

Political parties are important, but folks are not wed to them in the same way. While I DO know one person whose gender has changed in their life, I know dozens who have changed their party affiliation...

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I think people are WAY more connected to their race and their gender than they are to their political party, if for no other reason than they can (easily) change their party. When people USE race and gender to manipulate each other it is MUCH more personal.

Political parties are important, but folks are not wed to them in the same way. While I DO know one person whose gender has changed in their life, I know dozens who have changed their party affiliation...

Agreed...but IMO once you have chosen your party the racial or gender tie that binds is over-ridden by the 'us versus them' aspect of party affiliation. There will be exceptions for serious racists and serious gender bias folk but they will be a tiny population comparatively speaking.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
During a Clinton rally today in Orlano the father of the shooter sat right directly behind Hillary. He was very visible. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it seemed a little too convenient for the other side. Trump will jump all over this. Hillary will have to turn it around in her favor if he does.

Edit
Sorry - the Orlando night club shooting about a month ago or so. The father of the shooter was sitting up in the crowd right behind Hillary. No the father is not guilty of anything. My heart goes out to him. He's a victim too.

Trump may try to spin it in his favor some how. Was it a coincidence that he sat directly behind Hillary?

They didn't know he was there is what the Clinton campaign said.

The father just said that he wished his son had joined the American military and fought ISIS.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
During a Clinton rally today in Orlano the father of the shooter sat right directly behind Hillary. He was very visible. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it seemed a little too convenient for the other side. Trump will jump all over this. Hillary will have to turn it around in her favor if he does.

Edit
Sorry - the Orlando night club shooting about a month ago or so. The father of the shooter was sitting up in the crowd right behind Hillary. No the father is not guilty of anything. My heart goes out to him. He's a victim too.

Trump may try to spin it in his favor some how. Was it a coincidence that he sat directly behind Hillary?

They didn't know he was there is what the Clinton campaign said.

The father just said that he wished his son had joined the American military and fought ISIS.
Baiting Drumph is like fishing for shark in a barrel of bloody chum - demonizing the shooter's father (and he'll find a way) will only heavy the anchor that hopefully sinks Dumbdumd's ship, which I'm all for, save for the possibility that HRC and her campaign advisors choreographed the father's seating position relative to hers (the bait), which to me makes for a rather unseemly exploitation... and I don't really think that would be beneath her.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Trump just made an assassination joke regarding the 2nd amendment and Hillary. Just more ammunition against Trump. He can't keep his mouth shut - what a gift that keeps on giving,:love:

@His_Highness Trump has said way more derogatory stuff about woman than good things. Most women and men with any common sense won't vote for Trump. The republicans can write in Mitt's name if they don't want Hillary or a 3rd party..:lol:

Edit
An unbalanced person could hear Donald Trump with his statement and decide to act and do harm to Hillary Clinton physically.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
What Trump is Going to Change: Nothing
by Nancy LeTourneau
August 9, 2016 2:54 PM

Continuing with my earlier theme about a potential electoral college landslide in November, Stuart Rothenberg writes that – at this point – Donald Trump needs a miracle to pull this one off.

Three months from now, with the 2016 presidential election in the rearview mirror, we will look back and agree that the presidential election was over on Aug. 9th.

Of course, it is politically incorrect to say that the die is cast.

Journalistic neutrality allegedly forces us to say that the race isn’t over until November, and most media organizations prefer to hype the presidential contest to generate viewers and readers rather than explain why a photo finish is unlikely.

But a dispassionate examination of the data, combined with a coldblooded look at the candidates, the campaigns and presidential elections, produces only one possible conclusion: Hillary Clinton will defeat Donald Trump in November, and the margin isn’t likely to be as close as Barack Obama’s victory over Mitt Romney.​

Both Paul Waldman and Ezra Klein hint at the m-word (momentum) when it comes to Trump – and not in a good way. Here is Waldman explaining why it is possible that we’ll see a continuing stream of Republican defections from their candidate.

If Trump continues to trail badly in the polls, that changes the calculation as well. Up until now, elected officials making this calculation would wonder what would happen if they defected and Trump won. Would they get a primary challenge from the right? Would the Trump administration shut them out? Those could be serious consequences. But if Trump winning looks like a remote possibility, then a different scenario looms much larger: Trump loses, the party descends into recriminations, and who comes out looking good? It might well be those who refused to back him, and did so as early as possible.​

Far be it from me to attempt to get inside Trump’s head to figure out what he’s thinking about all of this. So let’s take a look at what he’s actually doing to turn it around. Yesterday he read a speech about his proposed economic policy. All you need to know about it is the fact that Steve Forbes LOVED it. So perhaps Trump has done what he needed to do to win back his big money donors. But beyond that…not much.

All spring and summer we’ve been hearing that he is about to ramp up his ground game. In the crucial state of Florida – we’re supposed to now believe that is just around the corner.

Right now, Trump’s campaign has just one field office open, its Sarasota headquarters. But the Trump campaign is about to rapidly ramp up and have 25 offices open throughout the state by early September, said Karen Giorno, a senior adviser for Trump’s campaign who runs his Florida operation.​

When it comes to advertisements, Mark Murray has the scoop.

Nearly $100 million has been spent on general-election TV advertisements in the presidential race since the primary season ended, but Donald Trump’s campaign still hasn’t spent a single cent on one of them.​

I guess we’re supposed to believe that this unconventional candidate is going to pull a miracle out of his hat by continuing to rely on big rallies and free media. It is important to remember that free media is usually doled out because Trump said something outrageous at one of his big rallies. And today, the candidate said that he’s not about to change the formula.

Asked by Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo what his campaign needs to do to escape from the polling hole it has sunk into, Trump said his campaign needs only “steadiness” and for him to continue “just doing what I’m doing.”

As he often does, Trump pointed to the size of the crowds at his rallies as evidence that his campaign is successfully reaching voters.

“I certainly don’t think it’s appropriate to start changing all of a sudden when you’ve been winning,” he said. “I mean I’ve beaten many people, and now we’re down to one. And we’ll see how it all works out, but I think it’s going to work out well.”​

There you have it folks. Either Trump doesn’t really want to win or he is so hermetically sealed inside his own narcissistic bubble that he can’t see reality. I report…you decide.

ReggieB

carl icahn has apparently had an interview on cnbc saying that the archie bunkers of this world should vote for trump, not sure how to process that...

CarolKing

@ReggieB it means all the bigots and the racist of the U.S should vote for Trump because he would be their candidate.

Archie Bunker was a character played back in the 1970s on American T.V played by Carroll O'Conner the bigoted father on the show. It was called All In The Family and it was on ABC. He was against anybody that wasn't a Christian white American male. The son in law the "Meathead" is what Archie called him was played by Rob Reiner

A show that started off a lot of discussion in America. it was watched and loved by many people.

Last edited:

ReggieB

While Archie Bunker has always been known as "the lovable bigot", he was still a bigot. I think that should help you...

@ReggieB it means all the bigots and the racist of the U.S should vote for Trump because he would be their candidate.

Archie Bunker was a character played back in the 1970s on American T.V by Carroll O'Conner the bigoted father on the show. He was against anybody that wasn't a Christian white American male.
Hehehehe, yeah, I'd already googled archie bunker and discovered that he's based on alf garnett and 'til death us do part and partly written by the guy who wrote 'til death us do part. I was questioning what icahn was attempting to do there, if it was a blatant appeal to bigots or old blue collar workers or whether he's just into self harm.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm sorry, this is just plain unacceptable...

Trump Touts Second Amendment Remedy
by Nancy LeTourneau
August 9, 2016 5:16 PM
* I have to admit, I’m still feeling a little sick to my stomach after hearing this today:

The Trump campaign was quick to issue a statement.

But if you listen to the context – Trump is talking about Clinton appointing judges, which would happen AFTER the election. So that explanation doesn’t work. Whether or not he is suggesting that his opponent be assassinated or the judges she would appoint is immaterial.

This country has long prided itself on the peaceful transition of power based on voting by the people in elections. These words from Donald Trump were spoken at a time when the ground is already being primed for a confederate insurgency. It is extremely dangerous rhetoric and anyone who doesn’t condemn it in the strongest possible terms is complicit.

lwien

by Nancy LeTourneau
August 9, 2016 5:16 PM
* I have to admit, I’m still feeling a little sick to my stomach after hearing this today:

The Trump campaign was quick to issue a statement.

But if you listen to the context – Trump is talking about Clinton appointing judges, which would happen AFTER the election. So that explanation doesn’t work. Whether or not he is suggesting that his opponent be assassinated or the judges she would appoint is immaterial.

This country has long prided itself on the peaceful transition of power based on voting by the people in elections. These words from Donald Trump were spoken at a time when the ground is already being primed for a confederate insurgency. It is extremely dangerous rhetoric and anyone who doesn’t condemn it in the strongest possible terms is complicit.

This along with his suggestion that the election will be rigged is right on the precipice of inciting violence. One does have to wonder what in the hell it will take for the GOP to disown this guy en masse.

Michael Hayden, ex-head of the NSA and 4 star general said that if anyone in the audience said this, that the secret service would be seriously questioning him inside of an unmarked van.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
TPM’s Guide To GOPers Hopping Off The Trump Train

ijpengkufmz35t624cwt.jpg

By Kristin Salaky
August 9, 2016, 11:35 AM EDT 7449 views

Donald Trump hasn't exactly made it easy for his fellow Republicans to wholeheartedly support him. A flood of prominent GOPers, from current elected officeholders to former national security and foreign policy officials, have either withdrawn support for the GOP nominee or voiced strident opposition to his comments in recent weeks.

It can be tough to keep track, so we've compiled a handy guide to keep it all straight. There are "the arch-weasels," GOP leaders who still hold on to their support or endorsements of Trump despite openly disagreeing with his comments and frequently criticizing him. These Republicans are determined to support the nominee no matter what, even if they don't really like anything about him.

GOPers who are holdouts either have not made clear who they will vote for, will vote for a third-party candidate or have made it crystal clear they're not supporting the party's nominee. One holdout, Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL), appears to be the only Republican to rescind an earlier endorsement of Trump.

Finally, there are a number of Republicans who now appear to be "Ready For Hillary" after publicly pledging support for Hillary Clinton.

gangababa

One needs to listen to the extended video and full context of Trump's call for gun remedies.
I keep hearing his comments cut off after the sentence about 2nd amendment folk and "I don't know, you tell me".
His next sentence is, "But I tell you what, that will be a horrible day."

Only the deliberately never-right-minded can spin his comment as about anything but blood on the streets.
He is not talking about getting out the vote.

No matter how the matter is parsed, Trump's comments are clearly calling the single-issue 2nd amendment gun owners to bring their armed power threats into the fray.

He is saying that within the Trump tribe trying to stop Madame President, the only political power with enough clout is in the not yet cold dead hands of the armed segment of their big-pup-tent tribe.

CarolKing

Welcome back @steama your alter self is back. I love that avatar.

I knew that Trump's team would spin it this way. Acting like they don't know what everybody is talking about with the gun threat that Trump gave in his speech . This man just doesn't get it. He has no self control and everybody is tired of it. We aren't stupid we all knew what he meant about the second amendment and how they could fix things.

Something serious needs to be done with him. Maybe the secret service should scare the shit out of him. There have been so many folks that have been assassinated by crazy people. They aren't all political either. What about John Lennon and Martin Luther King? Not that I would consider John Lennon in the same league as Martin Luther King.

The rest of the sane republicans need to disavow him. Or those that appear sane because Trump is insane. It's as simple as he's not qualified and more than that he's dangerous.

Edit
He's the bully that never got the lesson by someone bigger than he is. It's funny all the folks that are making fun of him on Twitter.

Edit again
Trump just said that the press is an extension of Hillary Clinton on Fox. He's still trying to explain the crying baby story. We all saw what he said, he doesn't need to explain
Sean Hannity has Trump on and they are talking about what Trump meant about his second amendment statement. I couldn't stand it, I had to turn the channel. Fox News just reinforces everything that Trump says and saying it's just the way the liberal press is spinning things.

Curious if the Roger Ailes firing will have any affect on Fox News and how they present the news?

Last edited:

CarolKing

I don't do Twitter either but I alway search, "what is Trump tweeting". It's always something stupid. Now folks are turning the tables on him and it's funny. He dishes things out but he can't take it. He's a little baby.

He's saying the polls are wrong. He didn't say they were wrong when he was a head or tied.

That was funny @lwien that link. How about when he said titties.:lol: That must have been the Miss America Pagent. I haven't watched it since I was a teenager. My mom and I would always watch it together.

Edit
@grokit thanks for sharing the video with Jon Stewart it was really good. I sure do miss him. He was good too on Stephen Colbert just recently.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
The FBI needs to arrest Trump.
I agree; they should also shut down scientology,
and conduct a criminal investigation of 9/11.

Still waiting :rip:

Curious if the Roger Ailes firing will have any affect on Fox News and how they present the news?
Maybe, but as jon stewart said drumpf is also a product of talk radio :borg:

I think it's been posted before, great interview :tup:

He's a little baby.
A "man-baby" to be exact (another stewart-ism) :lol:

:myday:

BD9

Having such an extreme negative opinion of trump, I try to put that aside when reading/hearing things like the 2nd amendment comment. I listened to it several times and the implication was clear. Do I really think that he wants Hillary shot? No. I don't. But his sarcasm and tone are ripe for some extremist to take action. He has a habit of making comments about violent actions though.
That's to be expected when considering who is/was running his campaign.

Paul Manafort

But over the years, they made millions by representing a rogue’s gallery of clients far away from D.C.’s genteel corridors of power: dictators, guerilla groups, and despots with no regard for human rights—including one man responsible for mass amputations, and another who oversaw state-sanctioned rape.

One such client was Jonas Savimbi, who led a guerilla army trying to wrest control of the Angolan government from Marxists during the country’s brutal civil war. Savimbi hired Manafort’s lobbying firm to help him get financial support from the U.S. government for his guerilla army, UNITA (National Union for the Total Independence of Angola).

Because I'm 12, I did find the 'titties' comment funny....

Top Bottom