Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualpurple

So for those using wattage mode (I am using @HerbieVonVapster’s Hot profile on a Wismec R. DNA 250, you know- the bronze one), should my ohms be unlocked or locked here?

when I am using the Splinter or Splinter Z profiles I have my ohms unlocked and they stay stable at .38 but the same does not hold true when using wattage.

move tried to educate myself a bit on this in the past, but I’m a little too numb in the brain right now to make heads or tails.

thanks folks!

virtualpurple,

SquirrelMaster

So for those using wattage mode (I am using @HerbieVonVapster’s Hot profile on a Wismec R. DNA 250, you know- the bronze one), should my ohms be unlocked or locked here?

when I am using the Splinter or Splinter Z profiles I have my ohms unlocked and they stay stable at .38 but the same does not hold true when using wattage.

move tried to educate myself a bit on this in the past, but I’m a little too numb in the brain right now to make heads or tails.

thanks folks!

Unlocked in watt mode, locked in TCR (measure cold). Sometimes my Paranormal will report temp protect if I don't re-measure.

Chandler

What mod are you using now?
Joyetech evic VTC Dual

Do a manual preheat at 45W for five or ten seconds to get it going since the Z is slow off the line.
I have a 2 second preheat. Not enough! About to upgrade that habit.

I've been loving wattage from 35 to 45w without any scorching or center hot spots with the wenge/Drone combo.
Do you stir between draws at all?

Chandler,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Joyetech evic VTC Dual

I have a 2 second preheat. Not enough! About to upgrade that habit.

Do you stir between draws at all?
My VTC Dual never heated as evenly as my rxg3d and both are less even than my dna mods.

When I say preheat I mean just holding the button down without drawing. Like I'm not saying the firmware settings should do a long preheat before each hit.

I tend to remove the stem every two or three hits just to see how things are going but I mostly use DNA mods now and stirring is more of an indulgence than a necessity.

When you get the Drone running it'll feel less like you're struggling to get multiple hits without a hot spot. It'll be more a question of "is the Z warmed up and humming yet?" and once it is the vapor will just jump out of the stem with each new bowl. With a dna250c you can start with lower wattage or temps because vapor production is so easy. It obviates the need to be careful about scorching or combustion entirely. It's more like you take as many hits as you like at 380°, then when the cloud size and flavor are less impressive you can bump up a few times just to finish the extraction and not waste anything. Wattage is similarly impressive.
I’ve found placing a finger on top and smoothing the load works for me after the 3-4 hit. It’s not like a stir that I have to move bottom to top, just a smoothing.
Yeah, I often do a pinky twist midway through the bowl too. I try not to tamp it down very much though because once it's half roasted it can get compressed and air might sneak around the sides of the screen rather than through.

Chandler

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Looking forward to more tests tonight after work. Easily though regardless of hot spots, scorching etc. The effects I'm getting off of three to four draws with uneven extraction, are very nice!
Glad I picked up one of these bad boys.

Yes looking forward to the drone as well! Delivery says 30th. Work meetings I'll be away from Monday to Thursday. Halloween it is!

GoldenBud

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Looking forward to more tests tonight after work. Easily though regardless of hot spots, scorching etc. The effects I'm getting off of three to four draws with uneven extraction, are very nice!
Glad I picked up one of these bad boys.

Yes looking forward to the drone as well! Delivery says 30th. Work meetings I'll be away from Monday to Thursday. Halloween it is!
Tell us how the journy was at 45W .... ;)

Chandler

Well. Shit.

Dayoff. Wake up early for no reason like usual. Phenomenal wake n vape sessions. Got addicted to unlimited fire then click off as I'm done my draw.
Yes,once the heater is hot, I realized I can turn it way down, now scorching at 33 watts... After about 3,4 sessions and praise for effects I forgot I had turned it on for the next session. My hand was suddenly hot. :doh::bang: Fuuuuck.
Probably running for ten mins straight. the wood started to sweat. Damn it.. the exterior is compromised n I don't trust that smell. What do y'all reccomend... Was having so much fun enjoying my morning...

On a positive note, the battery was fresh n went down to 77% and while the device could've been on the verge of blowing up, the herb was still green n nice. A little crispy on top but still good to go.

I'm thinking I liked the splinter Z enough to buy another. Plus I got the squonk drone on the way.. Disappointed. going on a quick work trip Monday-Thurs I was anticipating using my Z for the first time on the road.

I think the smell might be the wood after all n not so metallic? The outer body is no longer smooth. gritty.

GoldenBud

Well. Shit.

Dayoff. Wake up early for no reason like usual. Phenomenal wake n vape sessions. Got addicted to unlimited fire then click off as I'm done my draw.
Yes,once the heater is hot, I realized I can turn it way down, now scorching at 33 watts... After about 3,4 sessions and praise for effects I forgot I had turned it on for the next session. My hand was suddenly hot. :doh::bang: Fuuuuck.
Probably running for ten mins straight. the wood started to sweat. Damn it.. the exterior is compromised n I don't trust that smell. What do y'all reccomend... Was having so much fun enjoying my morning...

On a positive note, the battery was fresh n went down to 77% and while the device could've been on the verge of blowing up, the herb was still green n nice. A little crispy on top but still good to go.

I'm thinking I liked the splinter Z enough to buy another. Plus I got the squonk drone on the way.. Disappointed. going on a quick work trip Monday-Thurs I was anticipating using my Z for the first time on the road.

I think the smell might be the wood after all n not so metallic? The outer body is no longer smooth. gritty.
People make mistakes, next time don't use the cruise/autofire feature. it's not alot of money, but the lesson had been learned ;)

GoldenBud,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The outer body is no longer smooth. gritty.

This happens occasionally with my V2 and I don't think it's due to over-heating. I wish I could tell you what causes it, but I haven't figured it out. You can simply rub the surface smooth again, just be careful not to use something that will damage the surface. I use the edge of a credit card.

almost there

Well. Shit.

I believe that is resin coming out of the black wood when it gets hot, a long time ago I think it was @phattpiggie who told me that. Maybe he can confirm if that's what it is

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I believe that is resin coming out of the black wood when it gets hot, a long time ago I think it was @phattpiggie who told me that. Maybe he can confirm if that's what it is

That makes sense, but I have never had mine heat up enough to feel hot in the hand. That said, it probably doesn't need that much heat. I've definitely done extended tests that would keep it warm for prolonged periods. Anyway, as I said, it isn't hard to clean up.

Chandler

but I have never had mine heat up enough to feel hot in the hand.

Yea it was really warm. The mod was very warm, everything all in all too hot to handle.
The mod is fine, the smell subsided. I hope the smell was just wood. I'm going to fire her up in a bit, but I will see if it still works fine

MVIMG-20191027-134852.jpg

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
If it was waxed for a finishing, this is probably just the wax melting out of the pores. Rub it in again and you should be fine.

blokenoname,
Reactions: Chandler

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yea it was really warm. The mod was very warm, everything all in all too hot to handle.
The mod is fine, the smell subsided. I hope the smell was just wood. I'm going to fire her up in a bit, but I will see if it still works fine

Mine has never gotten that extreme, but that is the sort of thing I've seen. I think your picture pretty much confirms the theory that getting it too warm causes the wood to release resins. Fortunately, you can clean that up without any permanent damage.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Well. Shit.

Sorry to hear about your screw up. I don't have any input or thoughts on the gritty Z. My VTC Dual used to get hot to the touch driving my og Splinter and my Tubo X.

For a hundred bucks I can definitely approve of buying a backup Z. I have all the Z variants and the ZV2 is narrowly the best performer if I was forced to choose. And you'll never have this problem with the Drone since dna mods don't cruise.

bossman,
Reactions: Chandler

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@almost there @Chandler and @pakalolo it's wood resins.

Blackwood has been particularly noticeable. When drilling the end of a blank the heat generated is enough to force resins out of the end grain. It sets hard.

Personally I'm not a fan of wooden 'bowls' or unlined stems.
If a wood imparts a flavour I want to know why and what 'chemical' is involved.
If a wood exudes resin I want to know etc etc etc.

Padauk opened my eyes and was the nail in the coffin for myself and unlined wood.
Padauk leeches out its bright red colour into reclaim.

It's a real can of worms.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@phattpiggie: that's one advantage of the Splinter/Milaana/Zion over their direct competition, the heater and complete air path are surrounded by a glass tube (the base of the standard taper GonG joint), there's no wood directly exposed to the vapor, just a minimal surface where cold air enters.

Now if you use a wooden stem, that's a different story. I don't like those personally, for many reasons, including the one you cited.

Chandler

It sets hard.
Thanks for the explanation. It does indeed set hard. As @pakalolo suggested a credit card helped smooth it out but it'll need some work to get back to 'nice' .
the heater and complete air path are surrounded by a glass tube (the base of the standard taper GonG joint), there's no wood directly exposed to the vapor,
Thanks for mentioning this, as that was my understanding when purchasing this vape.

I tried a session, did a 20 second preheat, then vape at 30 watts. Everything seemed fine. I didn't notice any strange flavor, but I did vape after the taste buds had been tantalized by some spicy hickory smoked jerk chicken. More testing will ensue later tonight

virtualpurple

Thanks for the explanation. It does indeed set hard. As @pakalolo suggested a credit card helped smooth it out but it'll need some work to get back to 'nice' .

Thanks for mentioning this, as that was my understanding when purchasing this vape.

I tried a session, did a 20 second preheat, then vape at 30 watts. Everything seemed fine. I didn't notice any strange flavor, but I did vape after the taste buds had been tantalized by some spicy hickory smoked jerk chicken. More testing will ensue later tonight

I had the same thing essentially (I believe) with my Custom Z.

I have been unable to get rid of that hickory/jerk smell and ended up purchasing a new Zv2.

please keep us posted with your experience here. If you’re able to get your scent to fade I want to try and follow suit!

buckhakeesah

I had the same thing essentially (I believe) with my Custom Z.

I have been unable to get rid of that hickory/jerk smell and ended up purchasing a new Zv2.

please keep us posted with your experience here. If you’re able to get your scent to fade I want to try and follow suit!
What wood was your custom Z that leeched?

buckhakeesah,
Reactions: david8613

virtualpurple

What wood was your custom Z that leeched?

I’m not sure what type of wood it is, but it is not Blackwood. I’ll try and attach a picture quick.

hrmmm, that didn’t work.

I believe it’s canary perhaps, but I’m not sure if that’s an accurate statement or if I just pulled that from thin air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom