Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

herbalist33

I had another go at squishing the same material, with slightly more yield than last time, but still not loads....

It seems that I need to heat for way longer than the 1 min minimum. I'd say more like aim to get fully squished by 1min 45 sec. I also found that even though once the vise was closed as tightly as possible there wasn't really any rosin flowing, howeverI carried on heating the slug and about 5-10 seconds later a bit started flowing out. That suggests to me I need to heat way longer before fully closing the vise.

I ask suspect that my material is probably not up to par, I've got some other strains, but they dont really seem too resinous... might as well give it a go. Il let you all know how I get on.

I also suspect however that my technique is still not right, because the material coming out of the slug is really sticky, and I tried some in my vaponic and it's floored me.... so I guess that is one to add to the tips and tricks: save your unsuccessfully squished pucks to vape later on for convient long-lasting vaping pellets. Gunna try some in my onnivap too, think it'll go like a champ!

Also another tip, I'm not sure if it's been said before: to get your material out of the slug after squishing, take the push rod out, remove the spacer, and then replace the push rod to pop the puck out.

Peace

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I would agree 100% with everything you've said, adding heat at the end to force out rosin works great and turns a failed press into a winner. I think your right on the money with adding additional heat time.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I had another go at squishing the same material, with slightly more yield than last time, but still not loads....

It seems that I need to heat for way longer than the 1 min minimum. I'd say more like aim to get fully squished by 1min 45 sec. I also found that even though once the vise was closed as tightly as possible there wasn't really any rosin flowing, howeverI carried on heating the slug and about 5-10 seconds later a bit started flowing out. That suggests to me I need to heat way longer before fully closing the vise.

I ask suspect that my material is probably not up to par, I've got some other strains, but they dont really seem too resinous... might as well give it a go. Il let you all know how I get on.

I also suspect however that my technique is still not right, because the material coming out of the slug is really sticky, and I tried some in my vaponic and it's floored me.... so I guess that is one to add to the tips and tricks: save your unsuccessfully squished pucks to vape later on for convient long-lasting vaping pellets. Gunna try some in my onnivap too, think it'll go like a champ!

Also another tip, I'm not sure if it's been said before: to get your material out of the slug after squishing, take the push rod out, remove the spacer, and then replace the push rod to pop the puck out.

Peace

Thanks for you thoughts man, hopefully should be getting my Slug tomorrow (slight mix up at the sorting office).

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I would agree 100% with everything you've said, adding heat at the end to force out rosin works great and turns a failed press into a winner. I think your right on the money with adding additional heat time.

Nice avatar pic ;)

herbalist33

Just had another squish, this time using a different strain (an outdoor auto from a few months ago). Had better results:
bHoFh5Z.jpeg

I have to heat till around 2min it seems (aim for the vise to be fully closed around after around 2min of heating).

I don't have a clue what yields I'm pulling, il try to start recording. This time round produced more rosin, whether it's down to the strain or longer heating time, I'm not sure.

The material that I just used was the last couple buds that didn't go slightly moldly whilst drying. I've still got a few grams off stuff which has a fine spiderweb style mold on it that I've kept to maybe make oil or a topical with (obviously I don't want to vape it). However I'm now thinking il just sacrifice what's left to The Slug slug instead to work on my technique. Any rosin I get from it I will prob turn into tincture, unless anyone advises not too...

Anyway, each squish is getting progressively better, just wish I had some really frosty material to play with.

I'd advise people who are going to get the slug to try to get a vise with raised/high plates. I find my vise doesn't allow much clearance and so the slug is practically resting on the bottom of the vise whilst squishing (thinking about it, this could be interfering with heat transference). I need try find another bigger plate for the other side of my vise, then I could lift the slug a little.

Anyone else squishing slugs yet?

Peace

Cl4ud3

Just had another squish, this time using a different strain (an outdoor auto from a few months ago). Had better results:
bHoFh5Z.jpeg

I have to heat till around 2min it seems (aim for the vise to be fully closed around after around 2min of heating).

I don't have a clue what yields I'm pulling, il try to start recording. This time round produced more rosin, whether it's down to the strain or longer heating time, I'm not sure.

The material that I just used was the last couple buds that didn't go slightly moldly whilst drying. I've still got a few grams off stuff which has a fine spiderweb style mold on it that I've kept to maybe make oil or a topical with (obviously I don't want to vape it). However I'm now thinking il just sacrifice what's left to The Slug slug instead to work on my technique. Any rosin I get from it I will prob turn into tincture, unless anyone advises not too...

Anyway, each squish is getting progressively better, just wish I had some really frosty material to play with.

I'd advise people who are going to get the slug to try to get a vise with raised/high plates. I find my vise doesn't allow much clearance and so the slug is practically resting on the bottom of the vise whilst squishing (thinking about it, this could be interfering with heat transference). I need try find another bigger plate for the other side of my vise, then I could lift the slug a little.

Anyone else squishing slugs yet?

Peace
Had mine today but typically the A**holes at Amazon didn't send my gas, should of been with me Fri/Sat and still wasn't even posted last night.

So it's caused a delay to my testing.

For the vice - the gap in the middle of mine is perfect for putting the paper through and lining up there, means the slug isn't resting on the vice plate.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
I just uploaded a video yesterday of me using the SLUG.33 without a backing plate on a 4 inch drill press vise. Today I uploaded a video called ROSIN SECRETS and its just for SLUG.33 owners. I go over Torch's and the 4 inch vice and other options. How to place your SLUG.33 in the vice plates without the need for special plate. Peace.

almost there

Has anyone tried the site lately because it's not working for me. This is completely new territory for me so I'm super excited. Is everyone using a manual vice? I guess that would be most ideal for easy storage but not so sure how much hand power is necessary to wind the vice. appreciate any info

Edit-nevermind, got thru to @Nattybushdoctor and placed my order. Very prompt responder:D

Last edited:
almost there,
Reactions: JCat

Doktor Dub

Just want to give a short update:

I recieved my slug, it s good quality and well machined. The "fork" to hold the hot thing fits / works better than i thought.

I did one testrun, tablet with one of the videos running while using and a stopwatch seemed like a good idea.

Unfortunatly, i used a too small coin as backing plate so some plant could escape at the end of the squish which fucked up this one but i still got a little rosin ring - i see really good potential with this thing.

Tip for not-sucessful-squish:
When cleaning, i cleaned the inner part / "stamp" of the slug with a little bud and got all the oil from this thing, vaped great and the left over "puck" was good to grind and vape so i don t feel like i lost a lot.

No i search a better backplate for the next try :clap:

Last edited:

Cl4ud3

Managed to get two test runs in today.

First go was more to get the temperature down, got a small ring around the slug so I know it works, slight material escape at the end seemed to spoil it and not much return. Reloaded the same material to retry, overheated and got dark oil. Complete fail, 1 gram in the AVB jar.

Second attempt, different flower, got the temperature very close as I had some oil forming then the slug barrel moves slightly up the shaft and again plant material slips out causing a fail. The flower is sticky with oil so will try again or vape it.
I might flip the vice to a vertical position for the next go to stop gravity pushing material out unless someone with experiance has a tip ? I think that has been my main problem, plant material pushing out when the barrel moves up on the final bit of the squish.

Cl4ud3

Don't judge an oil by its color, especially rosin or bubble!

I'm curious, are your jaws on the vise resting flush, have you tried using a big backplate?
I was using a large plate to hold it, ditched the small coin idea after a couple of dry runs. What I'm noticing though is, on the last bit of the squish, the barrel moves back slightly and flower is pushing out at the bottom.
As for the first go oil it was done, I had given it two heat cycles basically and cooked everything :D

Cl4ud3

This may sound like a stoopid question but, which way round do you have the barrel?
I followed the videos :rofl:the large hole is at the bottom where the vice plate is. The sleeve and rod go in the other end.
I have noticed it in the videos too, the chamber moves off the plate near the end of the squish, with me though I was getting flower pushing out.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I followed the videos :rofl:the large hole is at the bottom where the vice plate is. The sleeve and rod go in the other end.
I have noticed it in the videos too, the chamber moves off the plate near the end of the squish, with me though I was getting flower pushing out.

Haha Yeh I was watching the vid too. I got my new vice today but need to clean it up and switch the plates round before I can have a play so was just looking out for possible issues.

Hopefully I'll have some hex keys arriving tomorrow so will clean everything up and see if I can get a squish done.

almost there

Haha Yeh I was watching the vid too. I got my new vice today but need to clean it up and switch the plates round before I can have a play so was just looking out for possible issues.

Hopefully I'll have some hex keys arriving tomorrow so will clean everything up and see if I can get a squish done.
what torch are you planning on using? I don't have anything bigger than the large eagle torch and I'm afraid that might not prove adequate for the job. Trying to determine if the culinary torches are any different than the ones labelled butane torch, never dabbed so I know very little about the big boy torches:shrug:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
what torch are you planning on using? I don't have anything bigger than the large eagle torch and I'm afraid that might not prove adequate for the job. Trying to determine if the culinary torches are any different than the ones labelled butane torch, never dabbed so I know very little about the big boy torches:shrug:

I have a number of jet lighter torches thanks to my VapCap addiction :razz: single flame, dual flame and triple flame.

However I do also have a dual flame chefs torch which I think will be my best option.

I'll give them all a try at some point but I'll be starting with the chefs torch and the triple. It may take a little time to try them all out as like @Nattybushdoctor says, you need to get a feel for the flame to time ratio.

Cl4ud3

I have a number of jet lighter torches thanks to my VapCap addiction :razz: single flame, dual flame and triple flame.

However I do also have a dual flame chefs torch which I think will be my best option.

I'll give them all a try at some point but I'll be starting with the chefs torch and the triple. It may take a little time to try them all out as like @Nattybushdoctor says, you need to get a feel for the flame to time ratio.
I tried a triple just to see and the length of time was quite a shock, I expected it to be closer to the minute mark, it was nearer 2:30 for me. As for smaller torches I wouldn't like to have them on for that length of time, some of them get damn hot after 30 seconds.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I tried a triple just to see and the length of time was quite a shock, I expected it to be closer to the minute mark, it was nearer 2:30 for me. As for smaller torches I wouldn't like to have them on for that length of time, some of them get damn hot after 30 seconds.

Well in that case it looks like the chefs torch is they way to go.

Thanks bud

Top Bottom