• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So I started cleaning up my vice over the weekend and in the process I figured out what was causing the pain in my side (I thought it was back pain). Nope, I got a tearing sensation leaning over the vice while scrubbing and now some shit is bulging out the side of my abdomen. I ain't gonna be squishing any flowers any time soon. I think I got a hernia, :doh:.

All I wanted was to play with my slug but oh no I have to go and pop a gasket :cry:

So no useful feedback from me, I'm out until the docs can stitch me back together. :argh:

Square4Life

yea, tolerances are pretty tight already, too tight and it becomes a pain in the butt to load. Especially those super frosty gummy cultivars. The hole starts to get gummed up as your loading it.
Leakage from the back, is also a tell sign to stop heating soon, if not immediately. Compressing your flower material as much as possible before any heating is done. works really well at minimizing seepage and makes it easier to operate not having to constantly turn the vise. :rockon:I also believe by leaving the spacer against the forge while heating will work as a heat sink witch may also help.??

Welp, looks like I'll just have to put this method to the test this evening and see what I come up with. It's pretty exciting lol well as long as it is producing SOME rosin...I'm sure if it wasn't producing anything I'd be less excited

So I started cleaning up my vice over the weekend and in the process I figured out what was causing the pain in my side (I thought it was back pain). Nope, I got a tearing sensation leaning over the vice while scrubbing and now some shit is bulging out the side of my abdomen. I ain't gonna be squishing any flowers any time soon. I think I got a hernia, :doh:.

All I wanted was to play with my slug but oh no I have to go and pop a gasket :cry:

So no useful feedback from me, I'm out until the docs can stitch me back together. :argh:

Ouch! That's no fun at all...Wish you a speedy recovery!

Squiby

now some shit is bulging out the side of my abdomen. I ain't gonna be squishing any flowers any time soon. I think I got a hernia, :doh:.

Wishing you a quick medical intervention and a speedy recovery. I hope you have some good pain killing bud while waiting for a fix and during your recovery. Actually, a perfect time to have some home crafted rosin on hand.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Ouch! That's no fun at all...Wish you a speedy recovery!
Wishing you a quick medical intervention and a speedy recovery. I hope you have some good pain killing bud while waiting for a fix and during your recovery. Actually, a perfect time to have some home crafted rosin on hand.

Thanks guys.

@Squiby, unfortunately I'm on a t-break which is why I have bud to spare for squish testing. I feel like I've somehow angered the cannabis gods by abstaining. :bowdown: I figured I may not be able to imbibe but I could have honed my squishing skills in the mean time however I guess I'm on the bench until the white coats put me back together.

At least when I am all sorted I have my Slug, vice, torch, mesh, parchment and plenty of material to play with. :brow: Got a consultation next week so we will see how long I'm sidelined for.

Until then no operating not so heavy machinery. :(

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Mine should land soon, hope next week (I received a Deuce and not the .33 i ordered, waiting for replacement to arrive) @Nattybushdoctor still waiting for tracking, haven’t hear from you since the day you should have shipped replacement

Edit: Got email reassuring, still no track but should be next week :)

On another hand, surely this is overkill but, in order to achieve stable “precise” pressing temp i was thinking to put the loaded vise in my electric ventilated oven, set 180-200C let heat soak 5 minutes or more and then press, did anyone tryied this already?

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Is there any website for this tool...?

Just tried a google search without success.

PPN,
Reactions: Squiby

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
How long need a Slug.33 to cool down after a press before being usable again?
Does the remaining heat affect the heating time for the next run?
Can't wait to try mine, looks really intriguing.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Everything matters when it comes to heating and cooling your Slug, ambient temperatures affect both. As soon as it is warm enough to handle you can re load it. If I had to guess, 10-15 minutes? If you want to run it immediately dunk it cold water and DONE! As you're going to find out very soon, your Slug.33 is going to be a shit load of fun to experiment with. Ive learned some awesome stuff from customers already, I look forward to hearing from you. Peace!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Mine should land soon, hope next week (I received a Deuce and not the .33 i ordered, waiting for replacement to arrive) @Nattybushdoctor still waiting for tracking, haven’t hear from you since the day you should have shipped replacement

Edit: Got email reassuring, still no track but should be next week :)

On another hand, surely this is overkill but, in order to achieve stable “precise” pressing temp i was thinking to put the loaded vise in my electric ventilated oven, set 180-200C let heat soak 5 minutes or more and then press, did anyone tryied this already?

i like this.. could be fun in a toaster oven. I am concerned with the flower material possible expanding while heating, you may need to cap off the puck end and situate the flower material so it's all in the center of your slug. Fun.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
You didn't call the weight of you devices at your site! What are they?

Hogni,

Doktor Dub

How long need a Slug.33 to cool down after a press before being usable again?

I can t stand heat very good and i was surprised how long the slug holds the Heat - without cooling i would have guessed substantialy longer than 10 to 15 min like @Nattybushdoctor guessed.
No problem as you can cool it down quicker but i think this is not really meant to do press after press...

On another note, i had no time for further experiments but i have a nice backing plate now and look forward to do some more runs in the nexte weeks. :rockon:

The one tip i would like to note again: Clean your slug while still warm, especialy the "pusher-part" which goes into the bigger part - wipe it down with a little nug or use a rolling paper which is big fun for joint smoking friends :ko:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have stepped down to a smaller torch, but still looking to refine the heat control a bit.

Do IR temp guns have any accuracy with the Slug or is the exterior too hot from torching to get an accurate temp reading?

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
hard to get readings on the slug its self with IR gun. We were able to get readings on the flower easier, its hit and miss with the slug. Our prototype was not stainless and it had a dark tint to the steel and we were able to get some readings from it. I always go with the least amount of heat time to get the rosin flowing, then once the rosin flows i can always add more heat. 1 minute to 1:15 is right where i am at with almost every cultivar. hope this helps. peace

Square4Life

hard to get readings on the slug its self with IR gun. We were able to get readings on the flower easier, its hit and miss with the slug. Our prototype was not stainless and it had a dark tint to the steel and we were able to get some readings from it. I always go with the least amount of heat time to get the rosin flowing, then once the rosin flows i can always add more heat. 1 minute to 1:15 is right where i am at with almost every cultivar. hope this helps. peace
Is this with both the 2.2 and the .33?

2clicker

Observer
ok so i havent had time to read every page here, but enough to peak my interest. a few things...

so what i gather from what ive read is that you torch this device to get its temp and then stick it in a vice and press away. do you load it before or after torching/heating? or do you load it, mount it loosley in the vice, heat it and then give it pressure?

instead of torching and guessing at temps... why not preheat the slugs in an oven or something. that way you could stick it in the oven at a set temp and the slug would come out of the oven at the same temp every time. obviously youd have to find what oven temp will warm the slug to your desired pressing temp, but it would be consistent. and does anyone torch while pressing?

also ive got two remedies for a hot slug that some may want to reload and press again before it cools down... 1. gloves. simply wear gloves that can take the temp and use your slug over and over no matter its temp. 2. get a second slug and while one is cooling the other can be used. done!

i really like the idea of this product and think i may have to give it a shot. ill read the rest of the thread when time permits. good stuff @Nattybushdoctor!

Last edited:
Top Bottom