Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

herbalist33

It works! :

SbUcyar.jpeg

I ended up having to press my material twice because I didn't heat up enough, and my new plate slipped while tightening, but I ended up getting a small dab. The debris I think is from pressing twice. I tried a tiny tiny bit in my maud dib and didn't taste much but effects are there.

My material is prob not the greatest for this, and I'm really not enjoying watching myself put what would amount to 2-3days of herbal vaping material into my slug while I'm getting to grips with this, but I'm still enjoying squishing. I think my next go will see much better returns, as I'm learning the technique for heating.

@Nattybushdoctor i would find it very helpful if you posted a photo of the flame on your torch, with a familiar object included for reference (a quarter/ banana or something). It would help me gauge my own flame, as flame size can make a tremendous difference.

Anyway, looking forward to Sunday when I can try squishing/hitting bigger dabs!
Peace

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It works! :
My material is prob not the greatest for this, and I'm really not enjoying watching myself put what would amount to 2-3days of herbal vaping material into my slug while I'm getting to grips with this

Using lower quality material is going to directly translate to your yields. Good resinous starting material is essential to good returns.

Cl4ud3

i would find it very helpful if you posted a photo of the flame on your torch, with a familiar object included for reference (a quarter/ banana or something). It would help me gauge my own flame, as flame size can make a tremendous difference.

Got to ask is that an Imperial or Metric Banana you are using as a measure ?

Flame length would be a great but maybe a ruler would be a better guide :rofl:. Nice light colour on that squish too.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
ive used a propane torch with, dual flame butane torch, a small torch lighter, and even a candle to make rosin with the SLUG.33. It not the flame more than it's the time of the flame that your using. That is why I recommend using the same torch with the same settings always.

Cl4ud3

What torches are you all using?

My Blazer Big Shot runs a good bit hotter than Vectors and others I have used...
That's supposed to be something like 2600 degrees compared to the lower 1300 torches I think. I don't know enough about them though, I've only got a burner torch that fits on gas canisters. I was hoping it would be enough.

Cl4ud3,

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
temp of torch does not concern me. " its not the heat source that matters, it is how long you heat with the source that matters. "
Like I said in an earlier post, you could use a candle or a welding torch or a hot coal if we wanna get real un civilized, its more about learning how long you heat with the flame you have. Peace!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
But just trial and error can cost a little fortune.

What are points of orientation for right heating?
Or do you have to control your firing by an IR-gun until you know how to handle?

BTW, nice invention - good job!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Thank you very much. Average heat time with the many torches we have used is one minute to one minute and 30 seconds. So keeping that in mind, as long as flame size does not change dramatically it very easy to figure it out. The whole heating and compressing process takes only about 2 -3 minutes. One minute heat time will not heat your SLUG so hot that your going to burn up material. Thats the point. One minute usually gives a really good idea of whether you want to add a little more heat, or less. The flowers I am running right now all take about 1-1:10 seconds. You will get a FEEL FOR IT as well. When you are compressing slowly you can feel your flower material tighten up, at this point I stop compressing, continue heating until it softens up. (considering i am under my desired heat time) keeping my heating time in mind. All BETS ARE OFF after 1:30 seconds! I turn the torch off and finish compressing. I rarely heat to 1:30 with the .33 only in colder ambient temps. like outside perhaps.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
So I've had a few strains not do too well... they are fire and sugary, but perhaps the cure is too dry. Going to finally buckle and try some Boveda packs on these before the next squish.

Are there alternatives to Boveda? Those little things are expensive.... do these fit in a Jyarz classic? I guess I could transfer into a Satchmo for the re-humidification process.

The only thing I've got that might produce is Glue, going to try later.

Last edited:

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Using lower quality material is going to directly translate to your yields. Good resinous starting material is essential to good returns.

One of my biggest yielders and oldest videos and for the first 2 months I used what many people would call substandard flower material. Actually it was very high quality material. It was older, produced a beautiful amber rosin at 20% all day long. People would comment that I should do a video with some quality bud. Or say things like " thats the shittiest bud ive seen since 3rd grade" blah, blah, the whole while its producing in the high 20's and they're blind to it. you should be able to get 20% yields realistically from b grade outdoor.
PEACE!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
So I've had a few strains not do too well... they are fire and sugary, but perhaps the cure is too dry. Going to finally buckle and try some Boveda packs on these before the next squish.

Are there alternatives to Boveda?

what is your heat time? if yields are low, after you have tightened down as tight as she can go, add more heat ,,until rosin flows. not enough yield can usually mean not heating long enough. add 15 seconds.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
After watching all the vids, I did 1:10 initially plus about 10 seconds after it was fully squeezed.

In spite of the hotter torch, I tried to copy the heat times from your videos.

While I do think it could have probably used a little more time, I also think this material was cured too long and too dry for a proper squish. With this material, I could not get any results with a hair straightener and a vise either... From comparing videos, my technique is close to yours. I am going to try again tonight with the glue and it is much fresher. I expect better results, as this strain did work in the hair iron. I will post my findings.

Hoosier

Are there alternatives to Boveda? Those little things are expensive.... do these fit in a Jyarz classic? I guess I could transfer into a Satchmo for the re-humidification process.

I have always just rehydrated with a damp paper towel or cotton ball suspended in an airtight jar for a bit. Can always put your airtight jar in front of a heat source for a bit to speed things up.

herbalist33

So I just had a bigger dab of my first slug-run rosin in my maud dib (the dab I did the other day was minuscule), and I've gotta say it is really nice and tasty, and hits really well. I used some outdoor blue cheese I chopped a last month, not super resinous but really nice to vape straight, and seems to make nice rosin too (not that I have anything to compare it too).

I think next squish il add another 15seconds heating and reckon that will definitely get the goods running. Il be attempting it soon and il report back.
Peace

Top Bottom