Vitolo

Vaporist
This estimation of "noon" being about 375 is definitely just that.. an estimate.
I base this upon the following:
The range of effects felt at that position in relation to 370-375 on other vapes with actual thermostats,
The color and texture of the ABV, combined with the speed that the ABV gets there.
the fact that on my particular unit, (noon is not going to = 370 -375 on all units!) when I get a bit beyond noon position, toward 1 o clock, I can taste the tastes of 400 vapor componants ( that deeper woodsy essence),
So.. I figured that at Noon I am vaping in the 370-375 range.
The SSV was not made to be thermostatically accountable, but rather a Tool that depends on user preferences to seek the level you like best.
If you want to avoid the unsatisfying light hits while entertaining company.. you can do this.....
set the SSV dial a bit higher than usual. Let the element glow a bit brighter too...
Then back it down to a lower glow. Do a pre company hit!
Every night I lower SSV to lowest spot on dial without shutting it.
When I wake up, I turn dial to 1 o clock. and go pee, and get juice.
By the time I am back, I lower the dial back to noon, and go for it.
You will find your "sweet spot", and be a more accomplished Vaporist for it too!

"Numbers on the dials???.... We don't need no stinkin' numbers on the dials!"

Vitolo,

sunsett70

chimpybits said:
Hmm thanks Vitolo it is good to know that it works fine with small amounts and that hand held wand helps with this. I get that the SSV requires more discipline. Interesting that a bigger amount is good for flavor. By standard model you mean one without customization (colors, engraving, etc.)? It is functionally the same yes? I also am not interested in customization.

bro, when talking about the dbv/ssv, it's usually about big hits but they are not given enough credit for their adaptability. people are always talking about log vapes for small hits but the dbv/ssv with the arizer dome screen is (imho) great for 'smallish' hits, very nice. post #1290 http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=112151#p112151
even though you say that you are not into 'customization', but 1+ about the dbv/ssv is that it is adaptable and the above is one of the customizations options for dbv/ssv users so you may want to try it; is a cheap and useful option.

p/s - perhaps someone who has tried both the PD and the dbv/ssv with arizer dome screen can comment on the load usage.

sunsett70,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have used the Zap, and have also used both the DBV and SSV with the dome screen.
I have done PD/MZ/WDZ sized loads in the dome screen, and in the wand loose.
The dome screen is cool in that it keeps the small load 'centralized" for better heat direction.
I wound up just using small amounts, and being "light handed" and gentle during my stir.
Although I don't use it any longer (it was an extra step), I did think it a handy "container/insert" and if a person was trying to carefully monitor small portions of herb, it would not hurt to try!
"if the dome fits... vape through it!" :lol:

Vitolo,

chimpybits

Thanks again Vitolo, this is pretty much as I guessed. I get that the SSV is not thermostatically accountable as you put it. Could you though give a description of ABV color based on temps (i.e. light golden brown ~ 365, milk chocolate brown ~ 375, very dark brown ~ 385)? Also, is this woodsy essence like the popcorn taste that is often mentioned?

Thanks also for the good advice on honing in on a hotter temp prior to entertaining company. Certainly, my friends exclusively smoke and I'll have to get 'em well toasted if I want to convince them. I'm hoping it goes well as I don't want to smoke and nor do I want to be vaping while they smoke.

The dome screen does sound conducive to the small hits I'm after, but suspect I'll just use a small measuring spoon instead. But I agree sunsett70 that the accessories do provide a lot of potential customization. For now, I'm going with the standard heater, wand and SSV setup.

chimpybits,

cluffy

Vaker
chimpybits, you made a great choice. I don't think you need to be so concerned about temps. Start low and turn it up a little after each pull to find your "sweetspot". Just exhale a bit after each hit till you see vapor. Don't forget to stir between hits also, you don't HAVE to do it every time, but I think it's the way to go. Once you're not getting vapor at your sweetspot, crank it up a hair and try some more, rinse, lather, repeat... Once the load starts turning dark brown you're probably done but experiment, you'll figure it out after a few wands. You won't believe how many hits you'll get off one wand though. I've turned some skeptical friends onto my DBV (one dubbed it the "Highpotomizer") and not one has given it a bad review. Your friends and you are going to have a great time. :brow:

cluffy,

Vitolo

Vaporist
chimpybits said:
... Also, is this woodsy essence like the popcorn taste that is often mentioned?
Woodsy essence is a step before the popcorn taste..... other than that...
cluffy said it best!

Vitolo,

chimpybits

Thanks cluffy and Vitolo, I should be able to hone in on my vape range with all this advice. Today is the day I buy the SSV locally - or don't. (Hopefully I do as I want to not smoke tonight and do want to be done with this online research and get down to the ... um ... hands-on research).

chimpybits,

chimpybits

Ok, prepping for company. Definitely getting high, but no confidence yet in how in executing. I'm drawing at a rate of about 6 seconds/hit. I'm in shape (good lungs). Is that too fast, slow? Also, I started at noon position, kept dialling higher and feel I'm not getting big(ish) vapor until at around 3 and my dial maxes out at ~5.30. Sound OK? The weed sometimes float up and around (with my first small ground bowl anyway) occasionally as I draw - popcorn in hot air popper style. At one point, (though I may have overcome this) afterward the weed was smoking. That's combustion - no duh right? Though inspecting that weed after it is just light-med golden. I dumped that bowl out btw and have started a bigger, less ground bowl which feels easier (for a beginner at this point).

Oh yeah I love the look of my unit. Cruised into the local famous head shop (Mark Emery HQ - Cannabis Culture) and had some good help. Very subtle dark purple housing, black base. Crabbed a virtually mathcing color Space Case titanium and BYU (bobs yer unk). Had a good day so far today as well. (p.s. I love being self-employed).

Anyway, thanks for the help guys and I'll try to not sign off here tonight - instead make the effort to come back. ps. I'm a total lightweight with this medication - always have been.

chimpybits,

Vitolo

Vaporist
@chimpybits
You are excited, and I am excited for you.
I think you saw vapor rise, and not smoke. Trust in youself! "Feel the force, Luke"
I know you want this to go perfect, as an entertainment for your guests... but trust in yourself...
you got it!
I hope you watched some of the Youtube vids by that guy John.. he does lots of SSV stuff. he discusses the swirling herb too. just try different draws, you will see at what suction point the "tornado" stops.
practice makes ...etc.

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
chimpybits, methinks you are drawing too hard. You should be able to get visible vapor at 12-1 o'clock. But you didn't combust as long as nothing turned black. Try noon again and draw slower, I don't usually see vapor till the second hit. Seeing as how you haven't posted in a while, you probably figured it out! Let's see a pic of that fancy new rig you got!:brow:

cluffy,

sunsett70

chimpybits, when i was starting to use my dbv, someone said to pull real slow, so you don't hear the "hhhhhhhhhh...." when you are pulling. try that. also, for me, it's less about using your lungs but more just the 'lip movement' for the mouth to draw in vapor (like pursing your lips). u can draw a lot longer too that way. have fun, man!

sunsett70,

sunsett70

[sorry for non ssv related posting] hey cluffy, it's early in the morning for you (i think) good morning! sorry man, maybe next time, i gotta go eat lunch now. woke up real late cause me n the dbv had an all nighter with some friends. cheers!

sunsett70,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I forgot one little tip... As your wand seems to be fizzling out.. and the stirs are not getting results...
many people hold the wand in same rotation (length of it is parallel to floor) rotate the length that was lined up with the floor to the top so it faces the ceiling now, and get one last hit, as the heat rises to the chamber area that was previously facing floor!

Vitolo,

pwnage_

Hey Vit, would you recommend the SSV or the DBV in your opinion? Could you give me the run down on the difference between them both? I've done a lot of reading on it but I just can't work it out. I like the look of the SSV more. But I'm not going to buy a vape purely on looks. What's your recommendation? Or should I wait out for the cloud? This is going to be my first vape for home use. But it's pretty much down to those 3.

Peace and pot :peace:

pwnage_,

Vitolo

Vaporist
pwnage_ said:
Hey Vit, would you recommend the SSV or the DBV in your opinion...
You asked me for my opinion.. and that is what I will give. Both units are sturdy. Both heat the same.
I prefer the SSV in function, and I will outline why it is the one I prefer.
A funny thing though... Aesthetically, I find the DBV to be prettier!
1-I like a hand held wand, and heater cover. On my DBV, I had to change cover and wand for the control I like. I do not care for hands free wands, because the unit can get pulled of a surface if not careful, and a "hanging glass wand" in a "ground glass" connector can break.
2- I was not always comfortable in all lighting aiming my wand into the DBV hole ( after I put on a standard heater cover). The SSV has an easier access heater (still recessed for safety- I have been in most situations.. it is safe)
3- the SSV is leaning at a very nice angle. You can glance down in there, and see that it is clean, and the heater aims downward too.
This allows you to hold the wand not straight out like a sword, but aiming slightly upward ( like leaning a microphone toward a person to have them speak. This reduces any chance of spillage, or loss from sloppy movement. The SSV is the only high quality vaporizer with this downward angle.
4- Finally.. the dial (heater control knob). It is in the front on the DBV.
I like the fact that the SSV dial is in the back. It is large enough and easy enough to reach when you want it. But remember this is a continuous dial, not discreet ( no "click..click" into positions)
The DBV dial can be nudged, by the wand whip, or by a sl;oppy friend.
The SSV dial is out of the way, and can't be accidentaly nudged, unless you reach for the knob.
I owned both. I preferred the SSV ( still do)
Please remember. This post is not here to make DBV owners feel that an SSV is better.
They are dynamite vapes, and in spite of all of the new technology.. they ain't goin' nowhere!
I have likes and dislikes, as do all the vaporists here, and I tried to answer objectively. :)

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
Thanks for the disclaimer Vitolo. ;) I admit that if I was to do it again I'd go SSV. I hadn't tried a wand vape before, the VG was the best vape I'd done. So I didn't want to spend the extra $100 at the time. But I wound up spending near that for my hands-on HC and mini wands/tubing. It's been a fun ride, still is!!

cluffy,

Vitolo

Vaporist
cluffy.. you are a good spirit, and all round champ.
I owned both of them, but as mentioned earlier, I have a friend without.
My particular needs that made the SSV for me, include a disability, that makes visual focus unusual, along with an occasional tremor. This was the path of least resistance in my case.
Fact: If I had no vape, and had to choose right now... with limited funds..
I would take into consideration the cost of the new Heater cover, and go with whichever was a substantial bargain.

Vitolo,

pwnage_

Thanks heaps for that! It was very insightful. I'm looking at the AU$400 price range. I've been looking at the EQ, SSV, DBV and The Cloud. All seem like good units, and the choice is really hard, so getting any response from someone that has had hands on experience with these items is most appreciated. Well I guess that eliminates the DBV from my list, that was the exact kind of information I was after. Thanks heaps again!

pwnage_,

chimpybits

I'll try again today perhaps, though I got pretty wasted last night and really 2 days in a row is a lot for me. I kinda went for it cause I wanted to figure it out.

Here's a bit of a rough follow-up while I take a break from the couch (p.s I stayed up past daybreak watching movies and youtube on my own late. I like the burnout stage).

Firstly, I was afraid to go too slow as just prior to starting my night I watched a youtube or tokindaily with tokin stating that you should never go too slow as it will surely combust and stink up the works. He struck fear into the fragile world known as my soul. Then I checked his 1 gram challenge and counted 6 seconds for his draws as well as enjoying how well he comports himself while surely very high.

I started in the late afternoon - sober - with music off and had my ear near the heater and listened and practiced (while everyone else in this city watched the hockey game). I found worthwhile tokin's advice of listening for the "evil wind" or whatever he said. Basically I listen for a Darth Vapor sound and tried to tune into the force as you said Vitolo. Yes, I had to learn the ways of both the father and the son, the dark and the light side. I stared at noon and slowly incrementally brought it up until I found that 3 onward seemed good for partying. After my smoking herb in the bowl I stayed away from slow draws and found myself edging it up to 3.30-4.

With difficulty managed to get my friend out of his apt a few blocks away (who was having a beer, smoking a j and smoking cigs - heavy smoker). Mostly though it is hard for him to leave his apt. Great guy though. Started with quite small bowls of ground herb which gave some vapour, but few decent hits. My friend had a much harder time of it (he was mostly huffing air) and we had to resort to twisting one up for him (and admittedly me).

Then, I decided to say f%^$-ck this and filled the bowl with a 1/3 full bowl of broken up herb like tokin does. Then I started getting big hits, At 3.30-4.00 (again my max on my unit is 5.50 so I am kinda worried) I was readily able to do quick cigar-like huffing puffs with free big plumes (like the videos of Tom showing off his PD vapour). Basically, it starts looking very similar to smoke exhales, but is vapour. I was able to finally get my friend getting big draws by helping him - mostly with his inhale rates which were way to fast. Admittedly, my careful more studied afternoon practice session gave me an advantage. He was getting frustrated the more I was clouding up my apt.

We never got really dark herb. It all darkened a lot, but then I would get impatient, dump, and refill with fresh and try some more. Kind of a messy, but crudely effective operation last night. I'm looking to gain control. My feeling is it will take some time to gain experience and control of varying the temps. It does take some skill.

I got really high, but making claims about the high being much different from what I'm used to borders on stretching the truth. Perhaps less couch-lock and burn out. Also, less diminishing returns perhaps (you know how when you're really toasted and you take more, the increase is slighter) though I haven't hit the weed for several weeks so my tolerance is low.

I really am keen to try what you say sunset70 about pursing the lips and it being less about the lungs. (My friend was practically passing out from all the inhaling - mostly of air for him). I will try really slow - slower was better. I don't know what you mean by hearing the "hhhhhhhhhh" It sounds more like whhahhwhhaawhwwww. No? I really want to get visible vapor at noon-1. I get a taste, but no vapour. Will try slow at lower temp today.

I'll look up John's youtube videos. Honestly, it was fun and being a bit of a technical challenge, I'm keen to get back to the ahem lab. I will post pics as I sailed into the head shop and breezily picked it out and like it. Not fancy, but then nor am I. It gives a bit of an impression of being a specialty, well-made industrial product while being slightly cool.

Anyway, that is my report on my first real vaporization experience from an old pot smoker. Thanks all again for your help. Can anyone imagine a time pre-internet?

chimpybits,

chimpybits

p.s. I'm keen on vaping my dark leftovers from last nigh - slow low temps and see if I can get a CBD cannabinoids effect - mellower slightly sedative would be niiiice. mmmm niiice.

chimpybits,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
chimpybits said:
p.s. I'm keen on vaping my dark leftovers from last nigh - slow low temps and see if I can get a CBD cannabinoids effect - mellower slightly sedative would be niiiice. mmmm niiice.

I like to revape my duff if I havent already cooked with it or made swampwater.

Medibles = the king of mellower sedative :D

AGBeer,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hey chimpybits
6852.png
... My bad! I said John for youtube, I meant Tokin Daily. Go to youtube, and search "SSV tokin".
Sorry about that!

Vitolo,

sunsett70

chimpybits said:
I really am keen to try what you say sunset70 about pursing the lips and it being less about the lungs. (My friend was practically passing out from all the inhaling - mostly of air for him). I will try really slow - slower was better. I don't know what you mean by hearing the "hhhhhhhhhh" It sounds more like whhahhwhhaawhwwww. No? I really want to get visible vapor at noon-1. I get a taste, but no vapour. Will try slow at lower temp today.

sorry, mate. you're right, the pulling sounds more like whhahhwhhaawhwwww LOL! my friend likes to pull hard and starts at higher temp, at the expense of the number of hits she gets (less hits with high temp). so i guess there's also individual preference; my unit opens at 730+ and i start at 11 oclock. If you start low, the 1st toke may have little vapor more taste. after every 3-4 tokes when vapor get less, you can then increase the temp incrementally, and dont forget to stir the bowl too. yes, please experiment and find your favourite spot, whether it is soft or hard pull. enjoy, man!

sunsett70,
Top Bottom