albe

AGBeer said:
Yes it made sense, but it made me chuckle a bit as the whip style vapes aren't necessarily known for their efficiency..

yeah true but one of the better of my options tho as we're limited for choice on the 'log' vapes (PD?) outside of North america. Pesky voltages and all that

albe,

RGNSUP

nr-cole said:
Hey all, looking at getting myself a Silver Surfer for Christmas. Also looking at accessories. First question:

Heating covers. Standard glass, ground glass, and ground glass spherical? What's the difference, and are the pricier ones worth it?

Next question, how quality is 7th floor glass? Thinking about getting one of the bubblers with it. Por ejemplo:

http://silversurfervap.com/glass/wcfm/water-filter-cooler-moisturizer-90-spiral.html

Thoughts?

That looks like a nice piece. The arms are reinforced about half way down to each other. For that price and what comes with it, I am considering it.

MacRadish said:
nr-cole said:
Heating covers. Standard glass, ground glass, and ground glass spherical? What's the difference, and are the pricier ones worth it?

Thoughts?

I find it necessary to stir the meds up between administrations and the ground glass/hands free setup makes that a PITA for me.

After using the standard heating cover with standard wand for quite some time, I find myself much more perferring the spherical cover with spherical wand.

The difference can be seen here:
http://silversurfervap.com/imagetest/wandmain.jpg
The wand on the extreme left is the sperical, the one on the right standard. Each style has a mated heater cover. The spherical makes a nice seal whereas the standard wand/heater cover mating can be NOT so air tight.

Either way I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, plus, these things can be bought as acessories later on down the road.

I still don't think I've seen anyone really compare the Spherical and the regular GG. We all know the differences between the standard and the GG but what about the two GG connections... any opinion?

RGNSUP,

stinkmeaner

RGNSUP said:
I still don't think I've seen anyone really compare the Spherical and the regular GG. We all know the differences between the standard and the GG but what about the two GG connections... any opinion?

I 2nd that, it would be nice to see someone post a video to get a better understanding of the Spherical connection, mainly to find out how far you can bend or move the connection while keeping air flow and seal.

stinkmeaner,

MacRadish

The regular GG wand is: you have a male GG wand that is inserted to the female GG heater cover, making it "hands free", no movement, no angling, just inserted and it stays there.

The spherical GG is: you have a "ball" joint of GG for the head of a wand where it mates to the "socket" of the heater cover. Similar in fashion to these pictures:
http://i.livescience.com/images/060710_joints_socket_02.jpg
http://edge.rit.edu/content/P09023/public/Ball and socket.jpg
No matter what the angle of the wand is in realtion to the heater, there is a seal.

Merry Christmas!

MacRadish,

asuseee

Hello is it normal that my ssv doesnt light up "bright red" on the lower half of the heating element but the upper half of the element does light up.. i have the knob at around 2 30ish..the reason y i asked is because someone blew on the wand and most of the weed ended up going on the base of the heating element..im just worried the heating element could be burnt..ive used the ssv 3 times after it happened, and i still do get high..im just worried it could be broken..thanks

asuseee,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
asuseee said:
Hello is it normal that my ssv doesnt light up "bright red" on the lower half of the heating element but the upper half of the element does light up.. i have the knob at around 2 30ish..the reason y i asked is because someone blew on the wand and most of the weed ended up going on the base of the heating element..im just worried the heating element could be burnt..ive used the ssv 3 times after it happened, and i still do get high..im just worried it could be broken..thanks

Yes its normal only the part near the tip , just above the air intake hole gets red hot. That's how they work.

Skunkypete,

max

Out to lunch
someone blew on the wand and most of the weed ended up going on the base of the heating element
Train your friends on proper SSV use. ;) You can turn the unit over and shake out burned herb. The heater cover can also be removed (carefully) to clear debris.

max,

asuseee

max said:
someone blew on the wand and most of the weed ended up going on the base of the heating element
Train your friends on proper SSV use. ;) You can turn the unit over and shake out burned herb. The heater cover can also be removed (carefully) to clear debris.

Ya..i already cleaned it out immediately after the heater cover cooled down, i also turned it upside down so the weed would just fall off.thnx

asuseee,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
so back to the Ground glass discussion, I am looking at purchasing an ssv and I am almost convinced I want standard ground glass.

I don't want the standard connection because I don't want to hold it at all times and for some reason the spherical ground glass connection doesn't look too safe in terms of staying stuck to the heater cover.

Similarly, I have concern that the normal ground glass connection would have the possibility of falling out and breaking. My cousin has a da Buddha with the normal GG and the wand will pop out pretty easy if you're not careful.. can anyone with the normal GG connection shed some light on my concern?

HighSti,

Nycdeisel

Well, I own a DBV myself and have for a while. I dont leave the whip in when Im not hitting it, so that eliminates all of these problems pretty much! I think the SSV is meant to be that way and even though I have the 'hands free' option, I rarely use it myself(occasionally other people will find it a handy feature), just because of what could happen if its left attached to the heating element(it could get too hot and the joints could lock, or it could fall out if you dont insert the wand properly).

If you were not aware, there is another option so that the standard SSV connection can be hands free, its just this piece of metal that slides over the top and holds them together. Although I do think the GonG makes a nice seal, you may want to look into that! Or just get an extra GonG wand and heater cover and compare them yourself!

Nycdeisel,

Pappy

shmaporist
I too use DBV and appreciate the "hands free" option but I don't take it too literally. Sure, you can leave the wand in in perpetuity but the fact is DBV requires 2-3 good stirs per wand full to use correctly. ;)

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!

Pappy,
Hey I was wondering if anybody could tell me any advantages of owning a ssv over a extreme q? I have a extreme q and my buddy is thinking about getting the ssv because its cheaper, do you think it would be better to just pay for the extreme q?
Thanks

VapeKing420,

MacRadish

HighSti said:
I don't want to hold it at all times and for some reason the spherical ground glass connection doesn't look too safe in terms of staying stuck to the heater cover.

You prolly won't be administering at all times so you won't need to hold it (standard or spherical) at all times. The spherical does not stick to the heater cover, its held in place by you while you are administering.

As mentioned, the meds need to be stirred between hits.

MacRadish,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
The fact that that its NOT hands free just makes it a little more appealing to me personally. I feel a level of control (oddly enough) that I didnt like when I had the handsfree attachment hooked up. That and the fact that I wasnt able to rotate/move the wand to ensure even cookage. When the wand sits idle, you have a concentrated stream of air that hits the same spot continuously. This usually equates to a nice lil burn spot :)

AGBeer,

max

Out to lunch
When the wand sits idle, you have a concentrated stream of air that hits the same spot continuously. This usually equates to a nice lil burn spot
I prefer the standard SSV connection as well, but the air stream through the hands free heater cover is much larger in diameter, avoiding, for the most part, the necessity for moving the wand around. Hands free hits aren't quite as thick as what you can can get with SSV standard, but they're more predictable with the GG connection. IMO it's the main performance difference between the SSV and DBV.

max,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
I too think the standard is appealing If I were to only be using the whip but my plan is to hook it up to a bong for the majority of its use. I'm thinking the GG would be more convenient when using a bong, especially with company (one of the main reasons I'm getting the ssv).

I really like the idea that you can buy both types of connections and interchange them simply. I might just end up doing that down the road if I feel differently about GG after using it.

HighSti,

tristan89

can anyone tell me if the silver surfer with european type 220 voltage would work fine in australia with just a regular travel style power adapter?

I believe our power in australia operates at 240v which 220 is generally compatible with but im wondering if it will affect specifically the SSV in any way?

Anyone had any experience operating the ssv with a foreign power plug?

tristan89,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
If anything I would think it will affect the temperature more than anything. By this I mean you might have to turn your SSV a big more than you normally would. Try and e-mail 7th floor and see what they say.

aesthyrian,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Honestly having the standard HC/Wand setup isnt too bad when bonging it. It IS a bit more of a learning curve having to remove/hold the wand when pulling the adapter from the bong, but not that big of a deal.

The best part about all of this is you can get different wand/heater covers for the SSV to help you determine which setup works best for you. :)
With the DBV you pretty much get one option. (But a very well functioning one at that!)

AGBeer,

CC75

I have the spherical GG connection and I use it almost strictly with a bong. I have had probably in excess of 20 different people use it and no one has had a problem with it. I can't imagine a more simple or convenient setup for using with a bong. I'm a compulsive stirrer, after every single hit and for this reason alone I wouldn't want the hands free.

CC75,

greenriver

I'm in Australia and run a European 220v DBV through a travel adapter and haven't experienced any problems. I imagine an SSV would be much the same.

greenriver,

djonkoman

don't travel adaptors also change the voltage? (I assume this because I have somewhere a universal plug wich can also make an american plug into my own european, but as far as I know there's a pretty big difference between american and european voltage), and different kind of current

djonkoman,

albe

tristan89 no need for the adapter for use in Australia, works fine straight out of the box/bag

if it does come through with a weird plug, it may be the wrong voltage. (Happened with mine got sent the 110v by mistake... they replaced btw.)

albe,
Top Bottom