fouruuus

I cant get on the website silversurfervap.com. It says enter or leave but it wont let me click enter whats the deal?

fouruuus,

max

Out to lunch
fouruuus said:
I cant get on the website silversurfervap.com. It says enter or leave but it wont let me click enter whats the deal?
You probably hit the site before this did- "Thank you for your patience as we update our site."

The DBV site is the same- updating. Hopefully, their updating includes their security software.

max,

nerae

Hey guys :)

Just placed my order for a silver SSV from vapeworld, hopefully it'll be here by Wednesday or Thursday! I have a HF Vapor Bros. right now, but tried out a standard SSV and was blown away. The taste and size were completely different than what I was used to...count me among the converted.

Looking forward to joining the ranks :)

nerae,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome to the forum and the SSV club nerae. I hope you checked the box for 'standard' SSV if that's what you wanted. Vapeworld ships the HF version by default. That's a great deal if the HF is what you want, but it's certainly not the norm, since that version usually runs more $.

max,

Vayu

Connor O'berst
2 - 5 minutes. I amp it up to max for a few minutes then dial it down while prepping everything else. It's ready by the time I am. Some folks leave it on so its always ready, but I don't recommend leaving a heat source unattended. If you plugged it in and immediately set it to your desired temp, i'd say you be there in 5 minutes max.

Vayu,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Great answer. Thanks. And there's no issues with smell etc like other vapes can have? This is all glass or something?

willieR,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
willieR said:
How long does this take to heat up for a single hit?

Mine turns on at 6:30 position, and maxes out at ~2:30 position. I turn it up to the maximum setting, load the wand, and then dial it back to an 11 oclock position and rip away. Time? 1-2 minutes tops.

Tom

@willieR No taste/smell other than the material you put in the wand

tdavie,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:
Thanks for that. So I'm wondering Da Buddha or SSV ...
Hands free (one hand free to be accurate) or standard? Predictable hits or (potentially) bigger hits but a little more work with the bowl contents? Plain but functional knobs/glass vs. some custom color? Those are the things to consider if you've got the extra $ to spend. The DBV is going for $155 delivered on eBay and the SSV can be had for about $40-45 more. The downside to the SSV on eBay is that your color choices are more limited.

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Nice logical questions. Max. Thank you. I don't mind the cash on the SSV if it's that much different from the DBV

willieR,

2clicker

Observer
willieR said:
I don't mind the cash on the SSV if it's that much different from the DBV

ive used both and cannot tell a difference functionally.

if you like the looks of the SSV more then go for it because youll be happier. you get many more color options for an SSV. the DBV only comes in silver and black. if you dont really care then id say go for the DBV. you can always add a custom knob or heater cover to a DBV as well if you later on you feel you want that kinda stuff. myself im glad i went with the DBV. im not much for worked glass anymore so the worked knob and heater cover werent appealing to me. plus a DBV can be disguised as a lamp easily with a small lampshade which can be a plus for some.

either way you cant go wrong. both vapes will serve you well and they have a 3 year warranty.

good luck and enjoy!

2clicker,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks for that 2clicker. I have no interest in any glass, either. Standard black is perfect.

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
2clicker said:
willieR said:
I don't mind the cash on the SSV if it's that much different from the DBV

ive used both and cannot tell a difference functionally.

good luck and enjoy!
There's a definite difference between the hits from a standard SSV and a DBV. The SSV has a small output opening on the heater cover, providing a much narrower stream of heated air into the wand/bowl, allowing for a higher vapor to air ratio than the DBV can provide. Assuming a good amount of herb is loaded, this narrow air stream provides hits that are more vapor rich. The tighter, more focused air stream also means having to rotate the wand a little during hits to spread the heat around. The DBV, OTOH, with its wider air stream, gives hits that are a little smoother, with a higher air content, and much more predictable. So the SSV is a like a stick shift on a car, giving you more punch and more to play with, but more work as well.

max,

MacRadish

max said:
The SSV has a small output opening on the heater cover, providing a much narrower stream of heated air into the wand/bowl,

I switched to the spherical heater cover and prefer it over the narrow opening on the std HC.

MacRadish,

steiner666

Serial vapist
willieR said:
Nice logical questions. Max. Thank you. I don't mind the cash on the SSV if it's that much different from the DBV

I'd definitely recommend the SSV for the downward angled heatercover and heavier base alone. I've seen dozens of people use both my dbv and ssv, and the lighter base and horizontal heatercover/wand design of the dbv always causes people to have issues with herb getting dumped or blown into the heatercover, as far as the ones i've witnessed. plus with the ssv you have multiple options for what heatercover/wand set style you want to go with. Its well worth the extra $ IMO.

steiner666,

cluffy

Vaker
willieR said:
Thanks for that. So I'm wondering Da Buddha or SSV ...

I'm a happy DBV owner but I put an SSV type HC on it and I use a mini-whip from Vapor Bros. The advantages (for me) with Da Buddha are:

1. The control is on the front where I can easily see/access it.

2. Instead of a u-shaped opening there is a hole which I think protects the HC better. My DBV travels with me a lot and I don't worry about breakage at all. I'm sure the awesome bag would protect the SSV sufficiently though. Also with the hole I can rest my thumb on top while holding the wand to the HC.

3. It's lighter, smaller and easier to handle. This means I can hand the mouthpiece to a guest and bring Da Buddha to them. (Thanks 7th Floor for putting 10' cords on your vapes!)

So if you don't plan on transporting your vape much, the SSV I suppose is the better vape as far as efficiency goes, that's what I've heard from people with both.. The price difference is negligible especially after accessories for DBV. I just thought I'd give you the info. You'll be happy with either one I'm sure!

cluffy,

2clicker

Observer
steiner666 said:
willieR said:
I've seen dozens of people use both my dbv and ssv, and the lighter base and horizontal heatercover/wand design of the dbv always causes people to have issues with herb getting dumped or blown into the heatercover, as far as the ones i've witnessed.

ive seen this happen also, but since slightly tapping on the herb, to get it to stay in place (after stirring), between each hit i have yet to have this happen. even though 7th Floor says not to tap or pack your herb in the wands it still works like normal. IMO the down pointed HC is not a plus. when using a hands free wand/HC setup i have personally seen the wand not secured (not twisted) well enough at the GonG joint and it fell out and broke... spilling the herb. with the DBV when you go hands free this is not a concern. unless of course you pull on the tubing, but it wont fall out by itself like on an SSV.

as for the richness of the vapor between the units... not sure what to say. i can say that my DBV produces extremely rich vapor hits. equivalent to big bong hits. i dont see how anyone would need or even want a more rich hit of vapor than what the DBV can provide.

2clicker,

Vayu

Connor O'berst
SSV > DBV due to downward slanted standard glass heater cover and ability to customize. + according to the manufacturer the SSV's are assembled in house while the DBV's are put togethor in China.

Vayu,

max

Out to lunch
steiner666 said:
I've seen dozens of people use both my dbv and ssv, and the lighter base and horizontal heatercover/wand design of the dbv always causes people to have issues with herb getting dumped or blown into the heatercover
I had no problem with the lighter weight, smaller footprint, or blow back into the HC, but it does require a lighter touch than the SSV. Judging by the number of DBV owners I've seen post on multiple forums though, I'd say these complaints are far fewer, percentage wise, than your sample, and mainly evident when the user has access to both vapes at the same time. The contrast is much more evident when you can A/B compare.

cluffy said:
[DBV]It's lighter, smaller and easier to handle.
Wasn't lightweight just listed as a downside to the DBV? ;)

the SSV I suppose is the better vape as far as efficiency goes
As far as functional differences between the two, I don't think efficiency qualifies. The only significant difference in the way they process or hit is the difference between heater covers, making the air stream different diameters, and that results in a difference, but it's not a 'one's better than the other' difference. They both use the same heater and electronics.

2clicker said:
as for the richness of the vapor between the units... not sure what to say. i can say that my DBV produces extremely rich vapor hits. equivalent to big bong hits. i dont see how anyone would need or even want a more rich hit of vapor than what the DBV can provide.
Quite a few people do. Personally, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Some like a bigger hit than either of these models can supply. Some much prefer silicone tubing to the supplied tubing. Some want no tubing in the vapor path at all-glass all the way. With an A/B comparison, it's obvious there's a difference in vapor/air ratio between the two. It's minor, but it's there. And to some it's an important difference. My wife can't imagine wanting a bigger hit than she gets with a log vape. But what does that have to do with anyone else's preference?

Vayu said:
SSV > DBV due to downward slanted standard glass heater cover and ability to customize.
These differences don't necessarily make the SSV better. They're just ergonomics and eye candy. Some don't care about the SSV HC angle, or care to customize it.

SSV's are assembled in house while the DBV's are put togethor in China.
So what's your theory about why a DBV is inferior to one that was assembled in the US? Is non US labor automatically less capable? If the parts are the same, and they are, why does it matter WHERE something is put together? What matters, to the manufacturer, is getting the same quality at a lower cost, whenever possible. It makes sense to get the DBV assembled with cheaper labor, since they're all the same. The different options you get with the SSV make that model a lot less practical for overseas assembly. The new assembly location for the DBV has been a total non-issue to this point.

All of these differences are just that-differences. They should be taken into consideration or not, depending on whether the individual buyer considers them important. They are reasons why a person may prefer X to Y, not why X is better than Y.

max,

Melizzard

Hey has anyone ever had combustion with their SSV? I did last night and I have no freakin' idea what happened! I had the bowl loaded half full, a little fuller than usual and I had the temp on about 1:00 like usual. I stir the load between each hit. So I took four hits just fine. Then, on the fifth, fateful hit, I combusted like hell! Everything in the bowl was totally black. What the hell did I DO to cause that? And how do I avoid future occurrences ... we say fuck combustion for a REASON around here! ROFL

Also, now the tube is rather icky looking so anyone have a better source for tubing than 7th floor?

xxoo

Melizzard,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Mel, it sounds like you could have just been taking too slow and long of an inhale for the temperature you had set. Also in case you don't already do this, turn your SSV all the way up for at least 30 seconds, and then set it to the temp you want, this way it has already achieved the temp needed and won't keep increasing as you vape.

Other than that though I'm not sure why or how it could happen, unless you accidentally exhaled into the whip for a second while hitting it, making the herb hit the heating element for just enough time to make it dark brown and poopy tasting.

aesthyrian,

Melizzard

Melizzard,
Top Bottom