RGNSUP

Yesterday, I ordered screens, a hose, and an adapter for bong from the SSV website and I was emailed promptly after and it was shipped out yesterday. Hopefully it will be here very soon and everything is right.

RGNSUP,

chapper

Hey all, long time reader first time poster here. I just got my SSV a week ago and love it. I've been using it every day and finally getting the hang of it but when I went to grab it out of it's carrying case yesterday I noticed the temperature dial knob fell of and now it wont snap back on. It just loosely slides on the metal knob and doesn't grab it. Any ideas or tips?

chapper,

max

Out to lunch
Put something in the knob hole to act as a shim. You could use a small piece of paper and fold it enough to make the connection snug. You could also glue the knob on, but that could be a problem if you (or a future owner) wanted to replace the knob with a different one.

max,

chapper

I like your idea of using paper or something equivalent for a shim. I'm not really trying to glue it because, as you said, it would be hard to swap out that knob after if i needed to. I also forget the off position of the knob. Is it around the 7 oclock region?

chapper,

Frickr

i just bent the ear back over a little tighter with a pair of needle nose plyers and has held ever since.

Frickr,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
chapper said:
I like your idea of using paper or something equivalent for a shim. I'm not really trying to glue it because, as you said, it would be hard to swap out that knob after if i needed to. I also forget the off position of the knob. Is it around the 7 oclock region?

I had to use this trick with my SSV. I just used a centimeter square piece of paper. I pushed it slightly into the knob so it would make a slight cup and put it back onto the vape. Just put it where you remember the starting position of it being turned off.
If it is too loose still, use another piece of paper in conjunction with the first.

DevoTheStrange,

Revvy

I'm planning on buying an SSV but the glass knob is a huge turn off. It really clashes with the otherwise sleek, modern design of the unit, in my opinion. I know the knobs are customizable, but could anyone help me with more specific details? I'd like to replace it with a knob that looks something like what the DBV has.

Revvy,

stinkmeaner

Revvy said:
I'm planning on buying an SSV but the glass knob is a huge turn off. It really clashes with the otherwise sleek, modern design of the unit, in my opinion. I know the knobs are customizable, but could anyone help me with more specific details? I'd like to replace it with a knob that looks something like what the DBV has.
You might want to wait till you see your SSV in person, the Glass Knob is one of the few things going for it looks wise since the modern design you speak of is just some aluminum tubing cut at an angle which is screwed onto a metal plate, unless you get the colored one with a cool knob it really might look bland compared to many vapes that are coming out.

If you do still decide to change the knob I am willing to bet that a Da Buddha owner wouldn't mind trading you their knob for your SSV glass knob.

stinkmeaner,

Qbit

cannabanana
Well, much as I'd like to, I don't have one of these, and I'm not getting one any time soon (my budget won't allow me to just yet), indeed I've never tried one, but I certainly know the reputation of the SSV. So anyway, I went to see an old friend who's a very solid smoker from way back, and I got talking about this vape with him, and showed him one of Tokin's latest vids, plus a few of the pics in this thread - I know that this vape should suit his habits. Then on impulse, he went with it and ordered one, so I'm going to get to try it next time I see him, though that might be a little while yet.

In the meantime I look forward to hearing his report about it, and I hope it helps him quit or at least cut right down on the smoking, which he's been meaning to do.

Qbit,

Qbit

cannabanana
soulsurfer said:
Hello all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. It was actually this thread that convinced me to get the SSV instead of the Extreme-Q. I liked the simplicity of the design, very elegant and analog. Look, I love computers and digital displays and stuff, but the experience of consuming herb should have a classic vibe, I think. A nice glass bong or a glass pipe gave me that feel. The Silver Surfer does too.

I had VapeWorld replace the GG hands free with the standard wand, and I'm glad I did. I love holding the wand in my right hand, the bong in my left, the tube connecting them like a twirly straw, and kinda dancing the wand around the glass cover to get a good hit. It's like an art, and the whole experience is like art fused with a 1600s chemistry (or alchemy) lab experiment.

I got my SSV (custom burgandy) about a week ago, and that was the first vape hit I ever took. I couldn't believe it. I was laughing to myself at how cool it was. I told my friend it was a like a ghost was getting me high. I couldn't see or barely feel anything during like, a 30 second draw with a nice deep inhale at the end. Then I exhaled and there was this huge vapor cloud. I was like, how the hell did that get there?!! And it barely even smelled like MJ. Great for me 'cause I live in an apartment.

It was like getting high off fog or something. Weird and also awesome. I couldn't believe how good my lungs felt. I do a lot of work with the breath and breathing, and it was obvious that my lungs were wide open and my diaphragm was completely relaxed. It felt great. You get that effect with combustion (great site name, btw :cool:) but unfortunately it's kinda offset by all the smoke and coughing. With this, though...man I am completely sold on vaping, and very glad I got the SSV.

Nice 1 Soulsurfer. I never get sick of hearing stories from new vapourists, especially when they're using top shelf vapes. Welcome. :cool:

Qbit,

max

Out to lunch
chapper said:
The usual on/off area is around 7-8 o'clock. You can position the knob so the unit turns on at 12 if you want though.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Revvy said:

If a glass knob isnt your thing, Just buy one of those knobs used on an electric guitar to control its levels. If I remember correctly they are the same size as the ones used on the SSV and DBV. So, they should work no problem. You can find them at any music store.

DevoTheStrange,

2clicker

Observer
DevoTheStrange said:
Revvy said:

If a glass knob isnt your thing, Just buy one of those knobs used on an electric guitar to control its levels. If I remember correctly they are the same size as the ones used on the SSV and DBV. So, they should work no problem. You can find them at any music store.

here are some more options

http://www.mcmaster.com/#knobs/=8w0kyh

2clicker,

RGNSUP

Got my package today. 7th Floor did a great job. The adapter I got though, is slightly loose in my downstem, but if I push it all the way in (doesn't seem like it should go that far), it gets snug. Other than that, I cleaned the hole in the wand and the top part for the screen and put a new screen in and a new hose, and WOW... how much smoother and easier it is to hit it through the bong.

RGNSUP,

Oprah

My friend twisted the knob all the way around (past the click) so now its all fucked, I can still twist it on and off but now it easily twists around or it seems like it wants to fall off, it literally just happened and I had to leave right away for an appointment so im not exactly sure about the damage but I just wanted to know what I will eventually need to do to fix this.

Oprah,

duckdown

optical
Oprah said:
My friend twisted the knob all the way around (past the click) so now its all fucked, I can still twist it on and off but now it easily twists around or it seems like it wants to fall off, it literally just happened and I had to leave right away for an appointment so im not exactly sure about the damage but I just wanted to know what I will eventually need to do to fix this.

Aaaaaaaaaargh!! Same thing just happened here, and I've had it less than an hour. My brother cranked it completely around...

Why is the mechanism so flimsy?? What should we do? I can't really tell when its on or off , or too high or too low..

Also, is there an off switch? Or do I need to unplug it when I'm done with it each time? Can I leave it plugged in all the time?

thanks

duckdown,

upriver

combustion-free
the "off" switch is to turn the knob back to the left (counterclockwise) until it clicks. The lamp on the front will turn off. No need to unplug it. I wish it -did- have an off switch though, so a preset temp could be left alone.

As for your knob losing grip, you could try to shim it with a small piece of paper (maybe something squishy and frictiony like construction paper would be better than smooth typing paper). You could of course also use glue or silicon but that might be more permanent than you'd like.

upriver,

stinkmeaner

duckdown said:
Why is the mechanism so flimsy?? What should we do? I can't really tell when its on or off , or too high or too low..

Also, is there an off switch? Or do I need to unplug it when I'm done with it each time? Can I leave it plugged in all the time?

thanks

The mechanism is just a dimmer for lights and such, not a real thermostat, if you are mechanically/electrically inclined then you could install an on/off button, that is what I would do. Do not attempt this if you have not experience with electronics though.

Edit: It is OK to leave it plugged in 24/7 as long as it is off, you can even buy one of those plug in on/off switches so you don't loose your temperature setting.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
duckdown said:
Or do I need to unplug it when I'm done with it each time? Can I leave it plugged in all the time?

if your switch/dial was working properly id say you would be ok to just leave it plugged in. i leave my DBV plugged in and just turn it on when use my first bit for the day. then i leave it on until my day is over. im not sure if this is bad or not, but either way there is a 3 year warranty so im using the shit outta this thing to test it. so far it has performed perfectly.

as for the pre-set temp idea... when using an SSV or DBV i find that there are about 3 dif settings that i use during the vape process for one bowl. obviously there are lower, mid, and higher temp settings that release different active ingredients from your herb. i myself enjoy all of the ingredients so each bowl goes through 3 temp settings before its cashed. i like to refer to these as my green, yellow, and brown settings. the colors represent the different stages the herb goes through. anyway, im just sayin that having a pre-set temp for me would have to be the lower setting. but sometimes with hash and other materials higher starting temps are needed. i guess im saying a pre-set temp is only good sometimes in my situation...

how long have you had the unit? you should contact 7th Floor and they will replace the switch im sure. and there is no need to add and on/off switch due to the fact that it already has one. either way your waiting for the heater to heat up.

2clicker,

upriver

combustion-free
2clicker said:
as for the pre-set temp idea... when using an SSV or DBV i find that there are about 3 dif settings that i use during the vape process for one bowl. obviously there are lower, mid, and higher temp settings that release different active ingredients from your herb. i myself enjoy all of the ingredients so each bowl goes through 3 temp settings before its cashed. i like to refer to these as my green, yellow, and brown settings. the colors represent the different stages the herb goes through. anyway, im just sayin that having a pre-set temp for me would have to be the lower setting. but sometimes with hash and other materials higher starting temps are needed. i guess im saying a pre-set temp is only good sometimes in my situation...

If it had an off switch, you'd still be able to adjust the temp if you wanted... It would be a convenience for those like myself who tend to leave it at the same temp for a given batch of herb. I don't milk everything out of ABV, I don't like the more sedative effects of the old stuff. I have a friend who does though, so I let him haul away my "gold". I find the dial is very sensitive; what works well at 1:30 might not work well at 1:00. Sometimes I hit it right, other times I have to take a couple unsatisfying hits before I get it dialed. This is almost always effective for me to get the effect, but I miss out on the taste by having it mis-dialed. Again, I have to repeat this calibration for a new batch of product; it might be more moist or simply different. But I tend to want to leave it at exactly the same position for 10 days or so. The other commented is correct that I could wire one in, or buy an auxillary switch, but my power outlet is not in an accessable location and for the price, I would think 7th Floor could add a switch in addition to the temp controller. Just wishful thinking, I still love the thing and it works fine as/is.

upriver,

stinkmeaner

2clicker said:
and there is no need to add and on/off switch due to the fact that it already has one. either way your waiting for the heater to heat up.

Though it doesn't need one, it could be nice to have one just so it stays at your preferred temperature setting, this is just a preference of mine though. Someone added a switch by drilling a hole in the housing and they were selling a SSV on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Surfer-V...352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d409478 I would of used the LED spot rather than drilling a new hole.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
2clicker said:
and there is no need to add and on/off switch due to the fact that it already has one. either way your waiting for the heater to heat up.

Though it doesn't need one, it could be nice to have one just so it stays at your preferred temperature setting, this is just a preference of mine though. Someone added a switch by drilling a hole in the housing and they were selling a SSV on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Surfer-V...352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d409478 I would of used the LED spot rather than drilling a new hole.

but what im saying is that what is so different about flipping a switch, and waiting for it to heat up to your desired temp... than just turning the dial on to your preferred temp and waiting...? its almost the exact same thing really. the current SSV switch already performs that task.

are you all just saying that you dont wanna have to turn a dial to turn the unit on...? because you have trouble finding the same spot on a consistant basis...?

im sorry im just failing to see how a different on/off switch is of value. but im hekka vaked right now so :brow:

2clicker,

upriver

combustion-free
2clicker said:
are you all just saying that you dont wanna have to turn a dial to turn the unit on...? because you have trouble finding the same spot on a consistant basis...?

im sorry im just failing to see how a different on/off switch is of value. but im hekka vaked right now so :brow:

More or less. I'm saying that finding the exact same spot is easier said than done, as miniscule adjustments in the dial make a big difference. Its not that hard; I am using my SSV all the time with no trouble. However, I do get mildly annoyed whenever I try to return the dial to my preferred level and its not quite right. I feel like I have wasted a hit when it vapes ok but the taste is off. This would be easily solvable by a $1.00 electrical component and a bit of forethought by the company. Not all consumers of this product have the tools or ability to hack the device, as simple as it may be. So I just post here, hoping their customer service will pass on feedback to the engineers.

While I do love my SSV, I have to say after following the Magic Flight and Purple Days threads here, 7th Floor is really really really lacking in the customer service and listening to feedback department.

upriver,

max

Out to lunch
This would be easily solvable by a $1.00 electrical component and a bit of forethought by the company.
OTOH a cheap on/off switch would add to the company's number of warranty repairs and cost the vape owner some $ once the unit aged out of warranty and the switch failed. An easy answer is to supply your own on/off switch-anything from a cheap, easily replaceable switch installed on the electrical cord, to the switch on a inexpensive surge protector.

I have to say after following the Magic Flight and Purple Days threads here, 7th Floor is really really really lacking in the customer service and listening to feedback department.
7th Floor started selling vapes years before this forum existed, while PD and MF pretty much got the ball rolling with FC. Just another way to look at it. I will say that 7th Floor kind of dropped the ball when they started a Q&A thread and then disappeared for a month (and counting).

max,

Xare

I scraped out my wand after some heavy usage thus alot of hash had coagulated on the glass. Sometimes I hit bubble hash in my vape.

Just using a pick I got about a gram of this wand hash, enough for a week of vaping. And when it sat there on my mirror it wanted to melt into a puddle. It was very liquidy.

Then when I tried to vape it in the wand the glass warmed up an a stream of hash oil streaked down the side of my wand.

Ive seen this happen before with really good bubble hash but this was the first time I saw wand hash do this.

The oil that slides down the glass is quite potent :o

You can pull the tube off the wand, scoop up a bit of the oil with a pick and heat the metal of the pick with a lighter. The oil will slide right off into a bowl or your packed wand. Or you can smear it on a bud to vape later.

:2c:

Xare,
Top Bottom