steiner666

Serial vapist
Dont know that id recommend going through him rather than directly through 7th Floor for whatever reason. He takes about 3x longer to ship things out as they do, in my experience anyway. i ordered stuff from 7th Floor and it ships the next day. just got 10ft of black hose today which i ordered wednesday evening. Pretty good IMO.

steiner666,

Melizzard

highendvapes said:
:D Just got the SSV's. This thing is great. :lol: I decided to use the standard whip and sell the ground glass one. I'll problay just get a gg heater cover and whip later if I get sick of holding the standard. This will pair up with the pd nicely, and makes a great addition to the collection. Much nicer in person than in pics, and unbeleivably large clouds. :o The only downfall that I can see is that the Extreme has now been officially unplugged and put on the shelf.
Ahhhh, we have pretty much the same collection, with pretty much the same results! LOL My poor E has been relegated to the closet shelf like a jilted lover! :) Actually, that kind of happened when I got my PD ... but now that I've got my SS, no longer have a need for that 'way too long to heat up' E. Oh yeah, and I have a Launch Box too for those 'on the go' times. :) And it's GREAT for camping! :)

Vape on!

xxoo
Melizzard

Melizzard,

Fiend

I got my silver surfer last week and I absolutely love the thing. My only problem is that I am not the average stoner you see on these forums. I go through large amounts of weed, over an ounce in the vape already, and when I load anything over like .4 (which is smaller than my liking) my ganja gets spiralled up into the abyss of the SSV. :(

Now I'm very much a recreational user and I don't want comments saying I'm wasting weed because I didn't get it to conserve weed and vape .3 at a time. I got it for the clearer high and to save my lungs. Any suggestions on stopping this flow of weed from getting in my heater cover?

Fiend,

B.

War Criminal
Get the fat wand SSV sells on their site, it holds way more than the regular wand.

Are you loading the wand to the brim? If so, you need to load it less.

B.,

Tuck

and when I load anything over like .4 (which is smaller than my liking) my ganja gets spiralled up into the abyss of the SSV
Use the ball end on the poker tool and pack down your bowl a bit, so it's not so loose that it spirals up. Just try not to pack it down so much that it restricts airflow too much.

Tuck,

max

Out to lunch
Any suggestions on stopping this flow of weed from getting in my heater cover?
Lower the temp and take softer hits. If you don't create as much wind, the herb won't tend to blow around. And if you don't lower the temp with an easier hit, your vaping temp will go up.

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
B. said:
Get the fat wand SSV sells on their site, it holds way more than the regular wand.
Tuck said:
Use the ball end on the poker tool and pack down your bowl a bit, so it's not so loose that it spirals up. Just try not to pack it down so much that it restricts airflow too much.
max said:
Any suggestions on stopping this flow of weed from getting in my heater cover?
Lower the temp and take softer hits. If you don't create as much wind, the herb won't tend to blow around. And if you don't lower the temp with an easier hit, your vaping temp will go up.
yeah, what they said^ :lol:

On a completely opposite note - does anyone who also has the mini wand also have a scale that measures 0.01g accurately? If so, whats the weight of an minibowl? My scale only goes to 0.1g and my bowls just show up as 0.0g when i try dumping one on it. I usually fill the wand slightly less than half way full, loosely, not packed much at all. Just out of curiosity.

steiner666,

Fiend

Tuck said:
and when I load anything over like .4 (which is smaller than my liking) my ganja gets spiralled up into the abyss of the SSV
They gave me a fucking dolphin on the end of the poker tool and it wont fit in the bowl. Also, it seems to happen reguardless of how hard I'm hitting it.

Fiend,

nithilinius

SSV with SSFG inline ashcatcher/sherlock

img00031201007032032.jpg

ashcatcher.jpg

steiner666

Serial vapist
Fiend said:
Tuck said:
They gave me a fucking dolphin on the end of the poker tool and it wont fit in the bowl. Also, it seems to happen reguardless of how hard I'm hitting it.
lol that happened to me too, cept i got a piece of fruit on the end of my stick. My friend got his ssv through same place, VW, but his came with a marble pick. A lot of the time the regular marble picks are listed as being out of stock on teh 7th floor store, not sure why, they cant be hard to make at all and they're pretty handy. Try using the end of a pen or something instead.

Very important question that i dont think anyone remembered to ask: what style wand/HC do you have? If you have GG or spherical, i could def see herb getting into the HC easier than with the standard, because of the size of the holes. I have a standard and this has never happened to me, although i have at times seen bits swirling around in the bowl, its very rare and it never made it inside the HC.
*edit* Another thought, if you DO have a standard wand/HC, it could be that one of them is slightly deformed, so that when you hold the wand up to the HC it might not create a good enough seal and there may be a gap that air gets sucked into, along with through the HC opening like normal. Having two streams of air coming in the bowl from diff directions like that could cause the contents to get stirred up a lot more than usual.

@nithilinius - nice setup! I esp like the sherlock. I love bubs and small tubes for vaping, big ones can be a hassle to handle and fill, esp in a group session.

btw, thought i'd post a pic of my whip w/ some of the black hosing that I got from 7th floor last week. While I'm normally someone who likes clear glass and such so that I can see buildup and whatnot, I decided that it really doesnt matter if i can see the build up in my hosing because, well it just looks scuzzy and like someone smoked through it once or twice after a few months of vaping usage, even if it doesnt taste that way, and i dont really clean hosing like i do my wands and such. This of course is with the standard wand on rather than the mini for once. I think it just look cleaner and better this way, and the hose is exactly the same as the clear stuff.
100_3023.jpg

steiner666,

B.

War Criminal
I also have the standard and have never had an issue with bud getting in the heater cover.

B.,

max

Out to lunch
I like the black tubing steiner. I bought a Vaporlight years ago, used, and it came with extra tubing-some blue and some red. The company also offered black, and I couldn't understand why the guy would go for bright blue and red vs. some cool looking black. I always pictured him wearing checks and polka dots together. :lol:

To me, the only advantage to clear tubing is that it's easy to see when you need to clean or replace it. I'll take a 3 ft. section of dirty tubing and cut off about a ft. (the dirty end of course). A two ft. piece works fine for my setup.

max,

Fiend

I have two wands, they are both the basic wands whatever ones those are. They obviously didn't use the same glass blowing styles to create the two wands, they used two different techniques for the part that fits around the heating cover. One of the wands has this spiraling problem more so than the other but it's hard to tell now because it really did a toll on my surfer. At first I could see little specs going in, and now I have a stash of vaped weed at the bottom of my heat cover.. Also since my heating element isn't exactly in the middle, some of the buds get sucked through and stuck between the heating element and the heat cover and it created this ugly brown residue on the heating cover due to the combustion that obviously occured. :(

It seems as if it will always happen at some point in a bowl, although it happens less often when I have littler amounts of chronic. I love the silver surfer by all means, but part of the reason I got it was so that I could have a legal peace to carry around (besides the hose) and that is no longer the situation.. :|

Fiend,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Fiend said:
I have two wands, they are both the basic wands whatever ones those are. They obviously didn't use the same glass blowing styles to create the two wands, they used two different techniques for the part that fits around the heating cover. One of the wands has this spiraling problem more so than the other but it's hard to tell now because it really did a toll on my surfer. At first I could see little specs going in, and now I have a stash of vaped weed at the bottom of my heat cover.. Also since my heating element isn't exactly in the middle, some of the buds get sucked through and stuck between the heating element and the heat cover and it created this ugly brown residue on the heating cover due to the combustion that obviously occured. :(

It seems as if it will always happen at some point in a bowl, although it happens less often when I have littler amounts of chronic. I love the silver surfer by all means, but part of the reason I got it was so that I could have a legal peace to carry around (besides the hose) and that is no longer the situation.. :|
It might help if you could show us some pics of what youre talking about if possible, as far as how crooked is your element>. I'd definitely remove the HC and clean stuff out, boil it or shake/rinse with iso. Just pay attention to how the metal cap and spacer are supposed to be so you know how to get it back on easy. Maybe contact 7th Floor through the email addy on the website and see what they would recommend you do, esp for cleaning the heating element off if theres stuff on it.

If it does it with both bowls, it could be the HC thats deformed around the tip.

steiner666,

Melizzard

Hey, quick question ... I got a new SSV last night and to get a vapor exhale, I had to have the temp up to about 3:00. The full power is 5:00. Is that normal or does it take a few bowls to break in?

xoo
Melizzard

Melizzard,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Melizzard said:
Hey, quick question ... I got a new SSV last night and to get a vapor exhale, I had to have the temp up to about 3:00. The full power is 5:00. Is that normal or does it take a few bowls to break in?

xoo
Melizzard
its not too uncommon to vape at that setting. it depends on how much you have in there, how hard you're hitting and what type of bowl. With a standard bowl and a smaller load that sounds about right, especially if you're working the bowl during the hits. You could try hitting it slower and working/twisting the bowl a bit slower, which could allow you to run at a lower temp if you want.

but yeah i can vape up to about 4 oclock on my ssv with a smallish load in the standard wand without burning at all as long as i dont hold the bowl still or hit too slow.

steiner666,

max

Out to lunch
If the temp knob is positioned to turn on at 7-8 (and with 5 as the max temp it sounds like it), you should be able to get good vapor hits at about the 12 o'clock setting. At 3, your heating element should be glowing red. I have to hit mine really hard at 3 to avoid high temp vapor. Some people, especially those new to vaping and coming from bong use, like to hit a vape hard, and that's OK as long as you understand that draw speed can be as important as the dial setting as far as vaping temp. If you have multiple users who are using the same dial setting and the hits range from slow and easy to fast and hard, some aren't gonna get vapor if it's set at 12-1, and some are gonna get harsh, high temp vapor if they're hitting it easy when it's set at 3.

If you're taking slow, easy hits, and have to use the 3 o'clock setting to get vapor, then something is wrong.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Does anyone have an idea on how to get the knob on the SSV to grab hold a little better. Mine has slowly become loose. So every time I turn the unit on or off, the knob moves slightly. So after a few on's and off's the temp settings are no longer the same.
I've gotten tired of playing guesswork at where is the temp at today. Any suggestions on how to get the knob tighter without supergluing it all together?

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
For a tighter fit without using something permanent (or hard to remove), add a shim inside the knob. Use a folded up piece of paper, a small piece of plastic or anything to make the temp stem a tighter fit. You could also add something to the stem to make it slightly fatter-whatever's easier.

max,

Melizzard

Max, I've been vaping for over a year now. I hit that SSV as slow as possible. My other SSV is sweet at about 1. But not this one. Tried it again tonight and couldn't get any decent hits before 3. I do load it small ... prolly only about 1/4 full cuz more than 4 hits knocks me silly! :) And yes, the heating element is glowing red at 3, but my other SSV is glowing at 1. Are they not supposed to be glowing?

Should I take it back to the store? It's not burning my weed at 3 ... it works fine there ...

xxoo
Melizzard

Melizzard,

steiner666

Serial vapist
how old is your other one? I got mine on april 1st this year and its like the new one youre describing, vapes a 1/4 filled bowl at 3 well, but no burning. maybe they switched specs a bit on some of the parts lately because ive been hearing a lot of ppl say they need to vape at higher knob settings than ppl with older models. Maybe they reduced the max power of it to reduce energy consumption because no one vapes past combustion temps, or maybe the potentiometers are just diff.

At max temp tho, the element it still clearly hot enough to combust if i tried. I think all tahts important is having that full range up to combustion. At least thats how i viewed it, and mines been on for a majority of the day every day since i got it and runs fine still.

steiner666,

Melizzard

Steiner, my other unit is only a few days older than the second one. ;) And my BFF bought one the same day and hers doesn't give her a vapor exhale until she cranks it up to full power. Dunno what's going on over there, but I figure if I get good hits at 3:00, shouldn't that be OK as long as it's not burning the weed?

Also, another question for anyone ... I was using my 'first' SSV last night and I was having a hard time getting the big milky hits at 2. I've been following the booklet instructions to turn it full on for 2 minutes, then turn it back to the sweet spot and hit it. Does it need to heat up for longer than that? And when you put your bowl up to the heater cover, do you have to hold it there for a few seconds before hitting it? It doesn't seem like the weed would get hot enough if you just put the bowl to the heater cover and hit it without the weed warming ... ??? As close as the weed is to the heat on my PD, I still have to let it heat the weed for about 10 seconds if I want a good hit.

xxoo
Melizzard

Melizzard,
Top Bottom