Xare

In my standard whip I have been using a screen that is a bit larger then the ones that came with my SSV.

It covers the hole better and less bud material gets past to collect in the wand.

When my screen starts to get dirty, it becomes harder to pull on the vape tube. The screen seems to be clear in the center but the sides get gunked up and it blocks the air flow.

So I fish the screen out with the pic and take it over to the sink. I use 3 things to clean my screen fast. An old toothbrush, some cooking oil, and a drop of dish soap.

First I run the water and put a bit of oil on the screen. The oil acts like a solvent on the hash like stuff blocking up the screen. I scrub the screen a bit with the brush. Then I add the bit of dish soap. This helps to clean off the rest of the stuff and it removes the oil from the screen leaving it super clean.

Then I can re fit the wand with the fresh screen and the airflow is much better.

Xare,

cluffy

Vaker
First I run the water and put a bit of oil on the screen. The oil acts like a solvent on the hash like stuff blocking up the screen. I scrub the screen a bit with the brush. Then I add the bit of dish soap. This helps to clean off the rest of the stuff and it removes the oil from the screen leaving it super clean.
:o You're throwing away all the good stuff!!!! :o

cluffy,

max

Out to lunch
Xare said:
In my standard whip I have been using a screen that is a bit larger then the ones that came with my SSV.

It covers the hole better and less bud material gets past to collect in the wand.
The supplied 5/8" screen fits my wands perfectly, and that's the size that installs easily.

When my screen starts to get dirty, it becomes harder to pull on the vape tube. The screen seems to be clear in the center but the sides get gunked up and it blocks the air flow.
I 'dry clean' my screen after every bowl by just scraping with the supplied pick. This keeps the entire screen clean for quite a while.

I use 3 things to clean my screen fast. An old toothbrush, some cooking oil, and a drop of dish soap.
Whatever works for ya, but personally, ISO does a great job all by itself. I never use any kind of soap on screens or glass.

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
If i ever feel the need to get my screen really clear, i just turn up the knob and take some rips on an empty bowl. It gets it clear enough to provide adequate airflow, while still allowing some of the build-up to stay in place around the edges of the screen so that future fresh herb doesnt get sucked through.

Other than that, the only other way my screen gets cleaned is when i do the iso shake/rinse to harvest the wandhash, because i just leave the screen in and dump the iso out the other end. In fact, i havent removed or replaced a screen in either my standard or mini ssv bowl in the 3+ months that I've owned it. Only time i've ever felt that a screen needs replaced is when theres been accidental combustion, which i havent done since back when I was using the DBV.

steiner666,

Xare

cluffy said:
:o You're throwing away all the good stuff!!!! :o
Hehe, I tried smoking the stuff off the screen in a bowl once but it tasted like nasty burned metal.

I got a buzz but for that flavor, id rather pass.

max said:
Xare said:

The supplied 5/8" screen fits my wands perfectly, and that's the size that installs easily.

I 'dry clean' my screen after every bowl by just scraping with the supplied pick. This keeps the entire screen clean for quite a while.

I use 3 things to clean my screen fast. An old toothbrush, some cooking oil, and a drop of dish soap.
Whatever works for ya, but personally, ISO does a great job all by itself. I never use any kind of soap on screens or glass.
The screen iam using is 3/4 of an inch. And its quite easy it put in and take out of the vape wand.

I use this slightly larger screen because I was getting some plant material sucked through the whip and into my throat. The 3/4 inch screens I have are more flexible then stiff.

They cover the hole more completely then the 5/8th ones from what i can tell.

I also do a "dry clean" of the screen as a maintenance between a couple bowls. But I find the edge of the screen is harder to clean that way and after awhile it just builds up. And this restricts airflow. Its not alot but its slightly noticeable.

steiner666 said:
If i ever feel the need to get my screen really clear, i just turn up the knob and take some rips on an empty bowl. It gets it clear enough to provide adequate airflow, while still allowing some of the build-up to stay in place around the edges of the screen so that future fresh herb doesnt get sucked through.

Other than that, the only other way my screen gets cleaned is when i do the iso shake/rinse to harvest the wandhash, because i just leave the screen in and dump the iso out the other end. In fact, i havent removed or replaced a screen in either my standard or mini ssv bowl in the 3+ months that I've owned it. Only time i've ever felt that a screen needs replaced is when theres been accidental combustion, which i havent done since back when I was using the DBV.
Sometimes I hit the wand with nothing in it then poke and scrape at the stuff and hit it again. Then blow it out really hard both ways to keep it clear.

With maintenance cleaning of the screen you can keep it hitting adequately. But sometimes I like to take it that extra step and clean the screen for 100% airflow.

Xare,

max

Out to lunch
Xare said:
I use this slightly larger screen because I was getting some plant material sucked through the whip and into my throat. The 3/4 inch screens I have are more flexible then stiff.

They cover the hole more completely then the 5/8th ones from what i can tell.
I don't think the 5/8" screens have been much of an issue for people, but since the wands are hand made there have been some shipped out with a larger diameter, where the stock screen is loose. I had to send one back myself. It was way too large for a 5/8", and never should have been shipped to a customer. If you can move/rotate the screen with a pick, even a little bit, either a 3/4" screen or a replacement wand would be in order.

max,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
With the mini-wand the screen spins around quite easily when moved by the pick I find, but you definitely get a lot more through with it, so perhaps that's normal?

I wish there were custom mini-wands, 7th floor needs to get on that.

wilf789,

notahat

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting my question in the right place!

I just got a used Silver Surfer, and it came with the glass knob broken off. (The seller said it was brand new and under warranty, but it's clearly used and there's no warranty information--ugh!) The unit still works, but without the glass knob, it's hard to set the temperature. Does anyone know how to fix this?

notahat,

steiner666

Serial vapist
wilf789 said:
With the mini-wand the screen spins around quite easily when moved by the pick I find, but you definitely get a lot more through with it, so perhaps that's normal?

I wish there were custom mini-wands, 7th floor needs to get on that.
Yeah i sent them an email a month or two back and told them that theres been quite the demand for a smaller bowl. Told them that if they made one about the same size as the VB mini but with thicker glass and a better screen solution ppl would buy it up. No reply. Ah well.

notahat said:
I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting my question in the right place!

I just got a used Silver Surfer, and it came with the glass knob broken off. (The seller said it was brand new and under warranty, but it's clearly used and there's no warranty information--ugh!) The unit still works, but without the glass knob, it's hard to set the temperature. Does anyone know how to fix this?
7th Floor say they have a 30 day warranty on glass parts, but i'm not sure if thats just if its purchased through them or not. It also says on their warranty page that after the warranty period anything that breaks on the SSV can be repaired for $25 plus shipping.

http://www.silversurfervap.com/knobs.htm
You can find replacement knobs at the above link, although they are special designs and such so more expensive.

I think you should contact 7th Floor (send them an email, under Contact or whatever on the above site) and ask them about what to do. The seller you got it off of should def provide a replacement. I couldnt imagine the knob broke during shipping if it was packaged properly and zipped up in its case...

Another idea, or a temp solution until you get a new glass one at least, would be to get a knob from something else and try putting it on. i think other people have mention split-shaft push-on style knobs from guitars/amps will work, but i've never tried it for sure.

Oh and welcome to fc! :cool:

steiner666,

darth_vapor

my mini wand broke, it was pos quality glass anyway. glad it's over, though i'd get the 7th floor version in a heartbeat. the screens are the same size as ssv screens, maybe it would be easier to replace with one of those as I noticed that, unlike the vapor bros. replacement mini wand screens, the 7th floor ones are easily bendable and won't poke you in the fingertip with sharp barbs!!!!

Somebody with a functioning mini whip try out 7th floor screens and if it's a success, maybe i'll get another one, but I don't see it a problem since I have a green screen going most of the time, which decreases amount necessary, almost like a smaller bowl. the quality of the 7th floor glass is far and away better.

I actually just have a dbv, but with a shortened ssv-standard style hc and a ssv std wand. mini broke while trying to change screen. I have on order a short ssv-standard style wand that also has a 14mm gong joint so i can just hold the dbv up to the pipe like a big lighter, as the outside never gets hot and it's big and easy to hold. right now it's suspended at a strangely SSV-like angle by a camera zoom lens support strap from adjacent bookshelf and arm of chair of choice.

Also had very good success with a mini sherlock style diffused bubbler (5" tall) using the dbv handheld with the wand and maybe 1" of tubing with an extra ring of tubing at the end to make it fatter to seal on the bowl, almost like a vriptech silicon bowl thing, but stuck to the tubing end of wand. I can hold the wand/bub combo in left hand and hold the dbv in the right.

But until the new short gong wand comes, i'm back to tubing for my glass (need the filtration), using a gong/tubing adaptor (with my 1" tubing adaptor, it makes a great seal and perfect for handholding with that bub). Also got a 14mm gong downstem for standard 9.5mm collared mini bongs, which would be great if a) my old molino mini bong had a collar, b) if it was blown a little more carefully around the hole for stem, which always leaked or c) hadn't fallen into the sink and shattered the other day. But the stem is fine, just need to find another 9.5mm mini bong....

darth_vapor,

Kip

Hello all I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my ssv later today. My question to all you seasoned ssv users is around what o'clock would be most effective for plain leaf salvia vaporization?

Kip,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Well, i have a bit of a report on the mini wands durability. I was rinsing out the wandhash with iso today and set it down briefly and it rolled and fell of my desk, which is around 3ft high onto a hardwood floor and didnt crack or shatter. Surprised me actually

Kip said:
Hello all I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my ssv later today. My question to all you seasoned ssv users is around what o'clock would be most effective for plain leaf salvia vaporization?
*edit* Just read your question a little better and noticed you said salvia. lol, im so observant.

Anyways, in that case, i have no idea. Only know about vaping THE herb.

steiner666,

Fiend

Hey, I'm new to the site but I've been lurking is the shadows reading all of the wonderful comments on vaporizers. This thread helped lead me to my decision to purchase a SSV, sounds like I won't regret my first choice. :D

I'll post pictures when I get it, until then I have to go back to the unusual punishmment of combusting bud..

Fiend,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Well got my mini whips couple days ago and I must say I love them so far. It's made me rediscover my SSV. I find I do get a better cook with less stirring then a normal ssv wand. I dunno why 7th Floor hasn't decided to make one yet, I think they are great for solo use.

About the screen changing. So far I've had great success using a bamboo skewer in the smaller end to act as a stopper for the screen. Helps with snagging it in the groove. It's definetly more fiddly then changing the screen on the SSV wand. Practice makes perfect :ninja:

Anywhoo great purchase , I highly recommend them. Even if the shipping to Canuckistan cost 27$.

Skunkypete,

ozmansmooth

First off thanks to anyone that can help me. I ordered an SSV from VapeWorld a little over a week ago, the Rainbow's End to be exact. Boy was I excited to get it. When the unit was turned on all of the way and set to the highest setting it could barely vape. A 1/4 whip would give about 15 or so hits. I know at that temp it should be burning it to hell. Well VapeWorld was awesome and sent me out a replacement (I sent that one back). I got the replacement today, and the same problem doesn't get hot enough. I talked to 7th floor this week and they said that perhaps it is a rheostat issue? I don't think I am doing anything wrong. It just seems like 2 units that don't fully function doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas? Even when I do soft pulls the heating element visibly cools a lot. Large pulls, forget it, it almost dims completely (this is one max heat setting). Just a shout out to VapeWorld also. They have been amazing through this entire fiasco (which isn't their fault).

ozmansmooth,

ekulaj

my vape is EXTREMELY smelly. i plan on cleaning the heater cover and the wand, but i don't think that will be enough. i can clearly smell it inside the bag (the old ones with the ssv logo in front), inside a plastic bag, inside a cabinet in my room. anybody have any ideas for cleaning the bag? also, does anyone know any other ways to reduce the smell?

ekulaj,

steiner666

Serial vapist
ozmansmooth said:
First off thanks to anyone that can help me. I ordered an SSV from VapeWorld a little over a week ago, the Rainbow's End to be exact. Boy was I excited to get it. When the unit was turned on all of the way and set to the highest setting it could barely vape. A 1/4 whip would give about 15 or so hits. I know at that temp it should be burning it to hell. Well VapeWorld was awesome and sent me out a replacement (I sent that one back). I got the replacement today, and the same problem doesn't get hot enough. I talked to 7th floor this week and they said that perhaps it is a rheostat issue? I don't think I am doing anything wrong. It just seems like 2 units that don't fully function doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas? Even when I do soft pulls the heating element visibly cools a lot. Large pulls, forget it, it almost dims completely (this is one max heat setting). Just a shout out to VapeWorld also. They have been amazing through this entire fiasco (which isn't their fault).
vapeworld has def been good to me, i've got 2 SSVs, and 1 MFLB through them and everything was fast and worked great. Its unusual for there to be issues like this, let alone 2 in a row. What did/does your heating element look like when cranked up? The whole thing should be glowing pretty much solid orange, unless you have it under some really bright lighting. If there is still white visible on the tip and its just glowing faintly orange on max then theres def something wrong. About how full of a rotation was there in the knobs range? Mine turns from off at around 7-8 oclock to max at almost 6.

Its either a freakish coincidence of getting 2 SSVs with the same issue right in a row, or maybe a bad batch of rheostats in recent assembly... or maybe it could be problems with your power. make sure you plug directly into a wall outlet and try diff ones maybe even at diff locations just to eliminate insufficient power or faulty surge arresters or something as the issue

ekulaj said:
my vape is EXTREMELY smelly. i plan on cleaning the heater cover and the wand, but i don't think that will be enough. i can clearly smell it inside the bag (the old ones with the ssv logo in front), inside a plastic bag, inside a cabinet in my room. anybody have any ideas for cleaning the bag? also, does anyone know any other ways to reduce the smell?
Thats really weird, since no part of the vape itself comes into contact with the bowl contents unless you stop hitting it while holding the bowl up or blow herb into the heater cover maybe. I'd say clean your heatercover with iso or boil it and rinse it really good and see if that helps. Have you noticed charred herb or ashes inside your heater cover? When your SSV is off, is your heating element solid white or are there any darker spots? Those are the only places i could think of stuff building up, unless a bowl somehow got dumped down inside the housing. Not like, on the inside inside, but below the HC nozzle.

Your wands/tubing and such are nowhere nearby when youre smelling this (which i'm assuming smells like herb?)). The bag wasnt used to transport anything else?

steiner666,

ozmansmooth

<SNIP>
vapeworld has def been good to me, i've got 2 SSVs, and 1 MFLB through them and everything was fast and worked great. Its unusual for there to be issues like this, let alone 2 in a row. What did/does your heating element look like when cranked up? The whole thing should be glowing pretty much solid orange, unless you have it under some really bright lighting. If there is still white visible on the tip and its just glowing faintly orange on max then theres def something wrong. About how full of a rotation was there in the knobs range? Mine turns from off at around 7-8 oclock to max at almost 6.

Its either a freakish coincidence of getting 2 SSVs with the same issue right in a row, or maybe a bad batch of rheostats in recent assembly... or maybe it could be problems with your power. make sure you plug directly into a wall outlet and try diff ones maybe even at diff locations just to eliminate insufficient power or faulty surge arresters or something as the issue
<SNIP>

Thanks for your response. In response to your question/suggestions.... Full blast is about 6 oclock maybe slightly less or more... it turns on at about 7-8 olock as well like yours. The tip is white, so is the bottom half of the heating element when its on max. When I take hard draws (on max setting), the element barely even glows at that point. It even dims a lot when I take soft draws on max heat. My power is fine, someone else suggested this as well. I have a 200 AMP service in my place, have tried two outlets in the kitchen two in the tv room, two in my bedroom, and 2 in the dining room. All outlets are not sharing anything with any other appliances. Also, I shut off all of my lights and other appliances just to make sure it wasn't draining the power. Any ideas? Probably the rheostat? Vapeworld has been great throughout this whole thing, just wish my vape worked. At max temp shouldn't the herbs be turning black? I tried 1/4 filled wands 1/2 filled and pretty much all the way full just to check out the temp of the element. Thanks again!

ozmansmooth,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah, at max temp you'd be burning, unless you were cranking on it with superhuman lungs. Shitty luck i guess. I just got a SSV for a friend from vapworld.com last week and its working great for him. Try again i guess. hopefully the next one works right. Maybe they can test it there to make sure it gets hot like it should before shipping it out to you.

steiner666,

ekulaj

steiner666 said:
ekulaj said:
Thats really weird, since no part of the vape itself comes into contact with the bowl contents unless you stop hitting it while holding the bowl up or blow herb into the heater cover maybe. I'd say clean your heatercover with iso or boil it and rinse it really good and see if that helps. Have you noticed charred herb or ashes inside your heater cover? When your SSV is off, is your heating element solid white or are there any darker spots? Those are the only places i could think of stuff building up, unless a bowl somehow got dumped down inside the housing. Not like, on the inside inside, but below the HC nozzle.

Your wands/tubing and such are nowhere nearby when youre smelling this (which i'm assuming smells like herb?)). The bag wasnt used to transport anything else?
The bag holds everything, so I'm not really shocked by the fact that it smells. However, the non-vaporizer contents don't smell nearly as much as the whole package.. I'm going to clean everything except the bag and report back.

ekulaj,

steiner666

Serial vapist
ekulaj said:
The bag holds everything, so I'm not really shocked by the fact that it smells. However, the non-vaporizer contents don't smell nearly as much as the whole package.. I'm going to clean everything except the bag and report back.
I'd say get some of the big thick ziplock freezer bags or something for the whip to be stored in, should pretty much eliminate any ABV sort of smell. Just make sure you let the wand cool completely after using it before putting it in the bag lol.

steiner666,

Melizzard

Another happy customer!!!! So I have my Extreme (takes too long to warm up, so is retired), my PD (I've developed a tolerance now so that takes me 6-8 hits to get where I wanna be) and my MFLB (my portable and middle-of-the-night vape) ... and now I have a Silver Surfer! I mean, how could I resist? They make them about 45 minutes from my house .... and I need bigger hits! So tonight I got, in only 3 hits, what it takes me 6-8 hits to get on my PD. :)

And she's gorgeous! I got the rainbow with black base ... and the heater cover and knob are wonderful even though I didn't customize them. I do have one question, though, for you experienced Surfers ...

When my Surfer is off, the bump on the knob is about at 7:00. If I power it all the way up, that's at about 5:00. Most of you say turn it to 12 or 12:30 ... but the way my knob is positioned, I have to turn it to about 2 to get a vapor exhale. Is that right? It's more than halfway cranked ... and the weed doesn't turn toasty for about 6 hits with the bowl filled about 1/4 full. Is that the right spot? I don't want to combust, but I DO want to be able to taste or feel as I'm inhaling so I'll know I'm getting it.

Thanks!
Melizzard

Melizzard,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Melizzard said:
When my Surfer is off, the bump on the knob is about at 7:00. If I power it all the way up, that's at about 5:00. Most of you say turn it to 12 or 12:30 ... but the way my knob is positioned, I have to turn it to about 2 to get a vapor exhale. Is that right?
Melizzard
Yeah thats perfectly normal. Mine has approximately the same range (think it tops out closer to 6 oclock tho) and I usually vape at around 3 with the standard wand (i never fill it up much at all, maybe 1/6), ot 1-2 when im using my mini because theres less distance and it doesnt take as much.

Really, the SSV isnt very temp-setting specific, as in its very forgiving if you set it too high. You could run the temp higher than you should and as long as you dont inhale too slow and as long as you work the bowl (providing you have standard HC/wand set) so the stream of air isnt on one area of the herb surface for too long, you still probably wont combust. This is one of the major bonuses i've found that the standard SSVs have over my previous DBV, where you dont have as much control over the airflow.

Just keep an eye on the shade of the herb after each hit, you'll notice dark brown color and a bad taste well before anything burns usually.

steiner666,

Melizzard

Beezleb said:
Personally, if I need something from 7th floor, I will be going through Tolkin.
Does Tolkin have a website? If so, would you mind posting the URL? I wanna look!

xxoo
mpb

Melizzard,
Top Bottom