barrydanger

Experimenting is the best bet. I read up thoroughly on the ssv before buying but still posted asking questions in a panic when it did not work as expected , but the guys on this forum are extremely nice and patient :)

Breathemetal

So the ceramic stick, should i press it as far down as i can get it? Or pull it up as much as it will go?

Should the HC fit snug all the way down or does that matter?

Also what is better, fine grind or loose grind?

I thought this would help conserve but it seems i have to pack a pretty large bowl to get the hits i want

Breathemetal,

barrydanger

Hey breathemetal all those questions have already been answered in detail in this thread , have a look from page one and you will become an expert on the ssv as well as getting an urge to trick out your unit

barrydanger,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

barrydanger

lol. OK what i did when i very first got it and was struggling to use it was fill a really big fat bowl , loads bigger than i normally would , put it on twelve o clock like advised and coughed my guts up when i got a big suprise about how awesome this unit actually is and then i started being able to work out what does what once those clouds started coming :)

barrydanger,

Breathemetal

okay well ill pack me a fatty and try it on noon...but i just think its gonna be a high enough temp for me

Breathemetal,

barrydanger

What i have found with the ssv is that there is so many variables eg every glass part is a completely different size , that you can only take other peoples advice with temps etc as a guide only . Experiment and just find the ranges you like and do not worry what other people use .

barrydanger,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Breathemetal

Alright thanks. Ill just stick to fat bowls, high temps, and slow draws until I get a smaller wand or do the elbow screen bowl trick

Breathemetal,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Why would you pack up the wand. Even the instructions say not to. You should pack it 1/4 to 1/3 full and no more IMO. You then need to play with heat and draw speed. I can use the ssv at 11 or 12 with 1/4 packed, take a 3 second hit and blow out enough vape to fill my room.

barrydanger

I told him to pack up the wand because then whatever heat or draw speed he uses he will feel the ssv power then be able to adjust accordingly. I did not say this is optimal , i said this is what i did when i was struggling with it. I think it is much easier to learn to use it when you take it to the extreme because the effects of heat and draw speed are much more noticeable . Im still very much a novice myself and was speaking to him as a fellow beginner.

barrydanger,

fiarrhea

Vapor Dog
Sweet, sent 7th floor an email about my fatty wand not being any bigger than the standard. They asked for a pic to verify, then told me I got the wrong piece and are sending the correct one asap. Great customer service, great product, boom.

Fresh_Baked

Sup guys. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to make an account. I vape daily using my SSV with the spherical ground glass wand, and I vape through a 16" straight tube with an 8 arm tree perc, splash guard and diffused downstem.

I got my SSV a while ago after being too frustrated with the MFLB to continue to use it. It got me high but the way you had to be so careful and how it's kind of a challenge to use really turned me off.

My SSV is easily the best thing I've purchased in the past year save my bong.

Fresh_Baked

Thank you!

I never have any trouble getting thick vapor out of my SSV but lately I've been kind of questioning myself when it comes to how I'm using it and if I could be using it better.

When I first got the SSV, I re-adjusted the knob so that on 12 o'clock, it was at more of a three o'clock temperature. I usually turn it to just a little past 12, so technically probably 4 or 5 o'clock. I find I need it hotter because I came from combusting with a bong daily so I'm used to bigger, more full clouds.

How fast do you guys draw? I find that I get bigger clouds when I draw slower but it can also lead to nearly burning my herb so I just pull on the bong lightly. Not too fast, not too slow, just a medium gurgle.

I have weak-ass lungs so my goal has been to find the temperature and draw speed that gives me the biggest rips that are the easiest on my lungs. Ice helps a whole lot in my bong but it got really annoying to have to fill it with ice every day and then have to change/drain the water because the ice melted.

So... that brings me to my next question. Would it be a bad idea to stick an ash catcher on my bong when I vape?

I have a really nice A/C from when I used to combust, but I find that my SSV hose lets lots of little bits of herb through the hose, and the bottom of my bong ends up a gross brown after just a few days of use. I clean it thoroughly with an ISO/salt solution every 3 days or so anyway so it's not like it matters, but when I stick the A/C on, the hits become much smoother, and it collects 99.9% of the herb that gets past the screen in the wand, making it so I really only have to clean out the A/C most of the time which is a hell of a lot easier than the whole damn bong.

The problem is that I read somewhere (forget where) that you want less filtration/percolation when vapor bonging and even my 1 perc is a bit much. I also read that it can decrease flavor or potency but I found that flavor was actually enhanced with the A/C. I am doubtful about the potency part however because THC is not water-soluble and so I don't really see how running the vapor through water could decrease the potency of the vapor.

Another 'problem' is that the A/C is just slightly heavier than I wish it was (because it's thick and sturdy glass, so I really shouldn't complain..) and it makes me paranoid having a big arm sticking out of my bong that I'm afraid could get caught on something and break, even though my bong never leaves the same little area on my desk anyway.

These aren't really problems, it's more just me trying to fine tune my SSV to be perfect.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Yup the fine tuning is all part of the fun.;) If you like the way the a/c works go with it! About the material coming through, do you have the proper screens in place correctly? I use mine through a bong and a bubbler with no such problem. How long is the tubing you use with your h2o setup?

SSVUN~YAH,

Fresh_Baked

Yup the fine tuning is all part of the fun.;) If you like the way the a/c works go with it! About the material coming through, do you have the proper screens in place correctly? I use mine through a bong and a bubbler with no such problem. How long is the tubing you use with your h2o setup?

I have one of the screens it came with in. I change/clean that too when I clean everything else and clean my wand and tubing out as much as I clean everything else.

Another possibility I've considered is that the debris is just build up inside of the wand coming loose and not from the screen itself.

The tubing is probably about... 20 inches or so. I cut it down because as I said my bong/wand sits on my desk right next to my SSV, so its not like the tube needs to be long to reach right next to me.

Fresh_Baked,

SSVUN~YAH

Word! I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I just got out my old tube and measured it. So about 20 inches is where the stain stops but considerable build up to 26 inches. You can reclaim that stuff in both the tube and the wand. The reclaim in the wand is fantastic! The reclaim in the tube ain't bad either but won't have as good a taste or potency IME.

SSVUN~YAH,

Fresh_Baked

Word! I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I just got out my old tube and measured it. So about 20 inches is where the stain stops but considerable build up to 26 inches. You can reclaim that stuff in both the tube and the wand. The reclaim in the wand is fantastic! The reclaim in the tube ain't bad either but won't have as good a taste or potency IME.

Sadly I have been far too lazy/stoned when cleaning my stuff lately that I just wash all of that down the drain. I'm not not really stingy about buildup/resins because I'm not usually dry or in need of them. Hell I haven't even really used my AVB because I'm not a big fan of edibles so I have a whole huge tin full of it.

Fresh_Baked,

SSVUN~YAH

I really suggest scraping the wand and mixing it with your herbs, you will be impressed with taste, potency, and amount of hits per bowl when you drop in a half tic tac sized dab. Also I'm sure one of your buddies would gladly take that abv off your hands. Have you tried qwiso with the abv?

SSVUN~YAH,

Fresh_Baked

I really suggest scraping the wand and mixing it with your herbs, you will be impressed with taste, potency, and amount of hits per bowl when you drop in a half tic tac sized dab. Also I'm sure one of your buddies would gladly take that abv off your hands. Have you tried qwiso with the abv?

What's that?

I've read about making hash with ABV (kinda) but it seemed like it was a long and tedious process. Hell maybe that's even what you're talking about haha.

Hash would really interest me. I have a super high tolerance but sadly concentrates are nowhere to be found where I live. I would give a toe for some of the wax/BHO I see on the web. Dabbing is merely a dream of mine.

I was able to make a tiny amount of hash for 4/20 using a pollen press and kief but overall it was nothing to write home about.

Oh well.

But yeah, ABV hash would be cool.

mod note: You're taking the thread off topic. The topic here is the SSV.

Fresh_Baked,
Reactions: ShipDit

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
What's that?
But yeah, ABV hash would be cool.

Qwiso- is quick wash iso hash. Using a French press makes it fairly easy too.

The problem is that I read somewhere (forget where) that you want less filtration/percolation when vapor bonging and even my 1 perc is a bit much. I also read that it can decrease flavor or potency but I found that flavor was actually enhanced with the A/C. I am doubtful about the potency part however because THC is not water-soluble and so I don't really see how running the vapor through water could decrease the potency of the vapor.

It just gives additional surface area for vapor to condense on in your glassware, but the difference probably isn't huge, so if that's what's most comfortable for you then go for it :tup: The ice your using is causing alot more condensation and contributes to you needing to clean more often. Some people even prefer warm water, finding the additional moisture more soothing then colder vapor with ice or glycerin tubes. I used to use ice but now I use room temp and my build up in my water tools is definitely slower then before.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warm-water-higher-of-molecules-in-gas-phase.5936/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hot-water-hits-try-this-and-report-back-your-findings.1874/

Fresh_Baked

I weighed out my AVB and it came out to 35.8 grams.

I threw it in a bottle and shook it with some ISO (a combination of 70% and 91%, as I didn't have enough 91%) for 15 minutes.

I know the method you showed me was called the quick-wash method but another tutorial I looked at recommended 15 minutes of shaking, but that was trim.

Hopefully my hash won't be too shitty now. I'm just waiting for the ISO to finish drying out, then I'll get to scraping.

There are big dark spots/chunks in the dried section which is kind of shitty.

Hopefully I didn't just waste a metric shit ton of AVB.

Fresh_Baked,

fiarrhea

Vapor Dog
anyone ever replace their base plate with the coffee table? I've only got one ssv and need to move it from living room to bedroom each day, but it seems like a cool idea. Permavape haha.

fiarrhea,

SSVUN~YAH

You won't get a huge return lucky to get around a 7gms, don't expect great taste b/c you didn't filter it with water first. However, it should surprise you that you were just gonna pitch it...

Top Bottom