Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Mondy

At 230F its boiling and he is degrading the end result.. that sizzle you hear..kind of sounds like a sizzling steak. Its cooking. A proper rosin press should not have to climb above the boiling point of water. 212F. Man if a customer of mine pressed at 230f with my plates it would be a disaster.

I do get this is mostly a DIY thread, but if its sizzling..take it off the heat. DO NOT wait for 36 seconds after you hear the sizzle, John B imo is somewhat of a buffoon. In the beginning he was all about the truth..now he is all about the fame and cash.

You hear the sizzle..10 secs tops. Time is 100% your enemy at those temps. Im lucky if i climb above 185- 190F, (85C-88C)

Thanks CP, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for (and kind of expected, but I'm new, so I have to ask.)

As long as I've got your ear... Do you think that people squishing with hair straighteners (or in my case, hair straightener plates epoxied to a bench vice) need to squish at a higher temperature then people with big high-pressure pneumatic or hydraulic rigs? That is, can you make up for some lack of pressure with a little more heat? (Saying that, I don't know why it would be exactly, but I think I heard that you can use lower temps at higher pressures?)

Thanks!

Mondy,
Reactions: JCat

mc

I could be wrong, but I believe the pressure is changing the water boiling point to a much lower number, thus you hear a sizzle even at 180F press. You will ALWAYS hear a sizzle.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
We need to find a planet that has diamonds to make crystal clear plates from, I wanna see the squish!

@CannaPlates what pressure and time do you run your 185-190F presses at? I am really favoring that range and actually wanting to go lower temps with higher humidity levels.

mc

As long as I've got your ear... Do you think that people squishing with hair straighteners (or in my case, hair straightener plates epoxied to a bench vice) need to squish at a higher temperature then people with big high-pressure pneumatic or hydraulic rigs? That is, can you make up for some lack of pressure with a little more heat? (Saying that, I don't know why it would be exactly, but I think I heard that you can use lower temps at higher pressures?)

Thanks!

As long as you reach 600 PSI you should be able to get max yield from that specific cultivar. Now heat and humidity play a role, but no, you should not be going over 200F IMO. With some cultivars 220 will get you a bit more, but you are going to start cooking stuff.

We need to find a planet that has diamonds to make crystal clear plates from, I wanna see the squish!

@CannaPlates what pressure and time do you run your 185-190F presses at? I am really favoring that range and actually wanting to go lower temps with higher humidity levels.
I've already seen presses with the top plate made of plexiglass. There's a youtube video out where. But he's got the temp so high the shit is popping and burning all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
mc,

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
I could be wrong, but I believe the pressure is changing the water boiling point to a much lower number, thus you hear a sizzle even at 180F press. You will ALWAYS hear a sizzle.
no you will not hear a sizzle. Proof is in the pudding,
this was pressed at 90C zero sizzle. it just flows. I have been pressing since soilgrown did his thing.. hair straightener for a year and then built my own kits and plates. Proper plates do NOT sizzle..ever never.

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
As long as you reach 600 PSI you should be able to get max yield from that specific cultivar. Now heat and humidity play a role, but no, you should not be going over 200F IMO. With some cultivars 220 will get you a bit more, but you are going to start cooking stuff.

TY mc. This person knows what I speak of. The only time I have ever gone above 100C (212F) was because the damn stuff would not come out of a wax/cream state..It took 108C (225F) for it to do this and it came off the paper in a shatter state..twas a weird one. I think it was pressed for only 25 seconds in 5x3 plates. It had to be fast because of the temp. It did smoke a bit when i cracked the plates..most likely just steam

Mondy

this was pressed at 90C zero sizzle. it just flows. I have been pressing since soilgrown did his thing.. hair straightener for a year and then built my own kits and plates. Proper plates do NOT sizzle..ever never.

Do 194 'murikan degrees. ;) Looks like I'm still overheating...

it came off the paper in a shatter state..twas a weird one.

I have this feeling that you get shatter when the rosin is very low in water. Does that make any sense? Don't laugh, I'm new to this. :p

Mondy,

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
Thanks CP, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for (and kind of expected, but I'm new, so I have to ask.)

Thanks!
yes exactly this..BUT please mitigate the temperature with the time. You do have a vice..so thats a few psi...more than a cannaclamp or a 600lb clamp (which cannaclamp is. IMO this is a pretty good product and it really its a great introduction to rosin pressing. You may find you want to graduate to larger plates at some point. Most do if offered the chance to do so.

I have pressed as low as 50C (around 125F) The time jumps exponentially as you progress below 70-80c. (canadian so all me temps are in C). The same happens with lower pressure and higher temps, but you really need to pay attention to what if sounds like..and looks like.

TBH..everyone in here has my ear. I love what i do for a living..i do it full time. 7 days a week. If you have a question..just tag me. I will do my best to give you a straight answer with no BS... I may be a bit blunt in here at times and for that ..well im not sorry for. thats me. But i am never disrepectfull and you will always know where you stand with me, I just dont have time for BS.

mc

You weren't even close enough to listen for the sizzle. In one post you talk about me knowing my stuff, but then you contradict me. You don't even know that cure age and high heat causes shattery rosin.

You will hear a sizzle if yo listen close enough, on ANY plates, even at 180 F. Unless you are squishing keif or hash.

mc,

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
Do 194 'murikan degrees. ;) Looks like I'm still overheating...

I have this feeling that you get shatter when the rosin is very low in water. Does that make any sense? Don't laugh, I'm new to this. :p
no not for sure.. it depends on what you are pressing with.. pressure is very important to temps. A HS will always need more heat as the pressure is for the most part not there.

For myself the min pressure is 1000 psi. Yes 600-700 will do..but with 5x3 plates.. and plate size is NEVER important..it is the puck size that tells you the psi story.

CannaPlates,

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
You weren't even close enough to listen for the sizzle. In one post you talk about me knowing my stuff, but then you contradict me. You don't even know that cure age and high heat causes shattery rosin.

You will hear a sizzle if yo listen close enough, on ANY plates, even at 180 F. Unless you are squishing keif or hash.
now you are just splitting hairs on the sizzle. yes it bubbles coming off the plates. You would as well if you were in between some plates :)

CannaPlates,

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
I'm just saying, for the past few years we've all be listening to the sizzle, and at low temps. Just gotta put your ear to the plates :)
hmm yes you do have a point. But the sizzle..i hate that word.. is low key..does not mean the rosin is being damaged like in a 200+F press. Its more like a slow melt sound haha

Here is some rosin tax :)
05FDA7L.jpg

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
yes we do haha. i have tons more pics on instagram..and then there is this as well i guess :D
YDaQZkE.png

Damn is there anyway to make these smaller...thats an eyesore lol

Regarding sizzle..... The only time I ever hear sizzle is if the flowers are still not dried (aka fresh).

As best I can tell, it's the water that's sizzling, not the rosin.

I press way hotter than you guys (usually 220F to 240F) and I never hear sizzle (unless it's still wet buds).

Also, it's hard to talk temps because most people either depend on the plate readout or a laser thermometer, both of which are usually incorrect. I use an actual contact thermometer right on the plates.

I sometimes go 210 but the result is very waxy and I don't like the wax consistency. I find 230-240F to be right for me in terms of yield and consistency. (I press 2 gram pucks on 4" round plates).

Hackerman,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I have a dayton microphone that I hook up to my phone for audio tuning. I bet it would pick up the sizzle off the plates even at 190F, and it's small enough to sit right there at the front of the plates. I triple check my plate surface temperature with 3 different thermometers (javelin probe, IR (it works on anodized surfaces), and type-k thermocouple. I can assure you the temperature readings are within 1-2F.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Here's something I haven't seen anyone in the rosin community address.

If the 20 degree difference between 200F plates and 220F plates makes such a difference in terpenes, how are those terpenes surviving a dish temperature of 400F or more when going in for a dab? That's double the surface temperature.

mc

If the 20 degree difference between 200F plates and 220F plates makes such a difference in terpenes, how are those terpenes surviving a dish temperature of 400F or more when going in for a dab? That's double the surface temperature.
That's why the new Naid drivers have a special heat ramp up during the pull. So terps and compounds are all enjoyed :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That's why the new Naid drivers have a special heat ramp up during the pull. So terps and compounds are all enjoyed :)

I'm familiar with stabilized uptemps, I post more about that on this forum than anybody. But the starting temperature for a stabilized uptemp with an enail is still higher than these plate temperatures, for example, D-Nail advises to start at 350F. Only a quartz insert drop or a wax pen ramp up really starts from cold. Guess that's why I always liked me V3! I guess I'm curious, if one isn't employing these methods, if these retained flavors are actually there?

mc

I'm familiar with stabilized uptemps, I post more about that on this forum than anybody. But the starting temperature for a stabilized uptemp with an enail is still higher than these plate temperatures, for example, D-Nail advises to start at 350F. Only a quartz insert drop or a wax pen ramp up really starts from cold. Guess that's why I always liked me V3! I guess I'm curious, if one isn't employing these methods, if these retained flavors are actually there?

ahh ok I got you, and I think as long as you have closed the atomizer (or capped) or are already inhaling, those terps are becoming gas and you "should" be getting the benefits from them. As long as there is no where for them to escape they will be there, much like a closed loop distillation. Only your lungs are the beakers :)

MinnBobber

..............................................................................................
The terps in the 400F + dish are not surviving as liquid terps--they are vaporized and you inhale them. Life is good.

When pressing, you want to have the terps be free flowing liquid and flow out but NOT vaporize and be lost to "space".
The lower pressing temps would yield more terps. The higher temps would have more of these volatile compounds go past free-flowing and be lost.

Top Bottom