Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Mondy

was it properly re-hydrated to roughly 62% relative humidity?

I used it straight out of the (commercial) package. My calibrated fingertips registered that it was more like 50%--not dry for sure, but a little dryer than well cured 62%.

So does hydration make that much difference? I think I can see intuitively how it would, but I'd love to hear about actual experiences...

Thanks folks. Your help has been invaluable. :)

Mondy,

mc

I used it straight out of the (commercial) package. My calibrated fingertips registered that it was more like 50%--not dry for sure, but a little dryer than well cured 62%.

So does hydration make that much difference? I think I can see intuitively how it would, but I'd love to hear about actual experiences...

Thanks folks. Your help has been invaluable. :)

It's almost the most critical factor in getting maximum yield. Not all cultivars express their best at 62%, but if it's off it's going to hurt a lot. Heat is probably the second if not more prominent factor.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Here's a couple of snapshots I took from youtube videos showing the yields for the varrying RH's they tested. You can see the trend upward on yields, 62% seems to be the safe zone, you wont be disappointed I would say, but it's worth playing around with if you have a steady supply of the same herb. Might just find nice yields of gooey budder with the right combo.

John Berfelo's test on his medicine, medikush -
FYMiy5G.jpg

Pure Pressure's test against two different culvitars -
NbrAb5T.jpg

Last edited:

Mondy

It's almost the most critical factor in getting maximum yield. Not all cultivars express their best at 62%, but if it's off it's going to hurt a lot. Heat is probably the second if not more prominent factor.

OK, I learned something today. ;)

Here's a couple of snapshots I took from youtube videos showing the yields for the varrying RH's they tested. You can see the trend upward on yields, 62% seems to be the safe zone, you wont be disappointed I would say, but it's worth playing around with if you have a steady supply of the same herb. Might just find nice yields of gooey budder with the right combo.

That's amazing. He did a great job with his testing.

Thank you both so much! :)

miguelovic

Drawing conclusions from small tests with conflicting results. Yeah that's JB.

Try folding the pucks in half when you repress.

miguelovic,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Here's a lil squish for some sativa meds to tie me over until I do a bigger squish tomorrow. 2x 1 gram nugs no filter 62% RH, 190F for 2 mins at about 1300 PSI. There were only a few specks of contaminant in the rosin, love how properly hydrated nugs hold up under pressure.

Last edited:

Mondy

Drawing conclusions from small tests with conflicting results. Yeah that's JB.

Given that he doesn't have a federal grant and is doing kitchen table science, I think he's doing pretty well--a lot better than 99.9% of us who just repeat the folklore that we inherited. Those tests looked pretty good to me, though I laughed a couple of times when he measured to a hundredth of a gram and then swept away the spilled crumbs. ;)

psychonaut said:
Here's a lil squish for some sativa meds to tie me over until I do a bigger squish tomorrow. 2x 1 gram nugs no filter 62% RH, 190F for 2 mins at about 1300 PSI. There were only a few specks of contaminant in the rosin, love how properly hydrated nugs hold up under pressure.

Nice rig!

Last edited:
Mondy,

MinnBobber

2x 1 gram nugs no filter 62% RH, 190F for 2 mins at about 1300 PSI.
Looks good man, and you're even doing special effects now--love it, zoom in/out in "blur-o-vision" :) Warp drive?
I'm most interested in these low temp presses, like this one!! Nice vid

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Looks good man, and you're even doing special effects now--love it, zoom in/out in "blur-o-vision" :) Warp drive?
I'm most interested in these low temp presses, like this one!! Nice vid

Wondershare Filmora, a vast collection of transitions and so many trippy ones too! Thanks @MinnBobber I thought of you when I made that squish, I know you're interested in smaller runs. This squish gave me 0.42gr of rosin, not a bad lil run and I can still taste the berries in it, the nana flavor that I was getting off the flower is not there.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Nice little squish for some on demand solventless meds! What was the temp?

Mondy

Nice little squish for some on demand solventless meds! What was the temp?
The post and the vid say 190F for two minutes.

I'm trying to work out what the moisture is doing. Part of it must be just to prevent the rosin from reabsorbing into an overly dry cellulose matrix, but I'm guessing that some of it must also be boiling and helping to make pressure to drive off the rosin or something? What do you think?

Also, from a "if some is good, more must be better" perspective, what about squishing buds in the 80% or more range? (Maybe you've seen the video with the woman who dips her buds in a glass of water before squeezing them in a straightener?)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Thanks! Sometimes the rosin makes my eyes turn inside out I think :rofl:

Also, from a "if some is good, more must be better" perspective, what about squishing buds in the 80% or more range? (Maybe you've seen the video with the woman who dips her buds in a glass of water before squeezing them in a straightener?)

Diminishing returns at high ends, I used to use a little squirt bottle though in my hair straightener days.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I'm trying to work out what the moisture is doing. Part of it must be just to prevent the rosin from reabsorbing into an overly dry cellulose matrix, but I'm guessing that some of it must also be boiling and helping to make pressure to drive off the rosin or something? What do you think?

2.08gr in, 1.61gr (puck) 0.42gr (rosin) out, 0.05 terps and other volatiles used during the extraction as steam to move the oil out of the pressurized puck.

Last edited:

miguelovic

Thermal conductivity would be one uneducated guess. Perhaps the higher moisture in the plant matter allows the oil to flow out and away, rather than absorbing in re: slightly hydrophobic.

I have noticed that lightly hydrated (feeling moist, but upon cutting up, returns to an overly dry state very quickly) flower extracts similarly to drier flower. This is how I came to hydrating for 7-10+ days with Boveda.

When I pressed at 70+% RH it was always a sloppy mess. Under dried hash was the worst.

I do know someone who presses around 70ish, but he treats the oil in a container with desiccant. It takes a few days but does work if you press too moist.

People like JB are why I coach some sentences with caveats like "my uneducated guess". There is value in what he is trying to do, but it doesn't take much observation to see he is more interested in cultivating his personality than anything else.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@miguelovic I also like a longer hydration period with the bovedas. If I get caregiver buds they typically are in the low 40's RH. I seen they started running humidifiers at the caregiver now too, so maybe they're trying to up their game.

I've tried pressing flowers a couple of days after in the jars and wasn't really happy with it, but for my buds that have been in a jar for 60 days with 62 boveda and an oxygen absorber, the buds really seem to be holding up well and the resin still seems to be in the same condition as it was around time of purchase.

mc

It's very possible the moisture is just adding water to the end yield, or perhaps it's lubricating the plant matter to help the fats and lipids escape. Maybe a little of both?

biohacker

I know who you're talking about, what do you think about his 30 minute squishes though?

30 min. squishes! He didn't mention that when we were chatting! Not so sure about that! :lol:

20 mins (at 195). He said he could stop no problem anytime I wanted, but it would have affected yields. The quality of the rosin is awesome IMO considering the source material quality... and the colour of the rosin squished after the first minutes, wasn't any different than the rest.... golden yellow, and taffy like consistency (very fragrant). He has squished many, many pounds while self teaching and having the luxury of using dispensary flowers to test/experiment with. Perhaps a lower temp would have created a connoisseur level quality, but if you know who i'm talking about he pretty much "knows everything" and my input was irrelevant :lol:

I've just started leaving my rosin out in the open air trying to get it to budder. So far, this shit won't do it...must be super stable...has that glass shine look to it, and when it gets warm I think I can see sort of like oils on top?

These days i'm only vaping hash rosin from Hashy Hands! I like it way better than flower rosin. So much smoother! And more potent. The Temple Balls are something else!

https://www.instagram.com/hashyhands/?hl=en

@JCat i'm surprised you haven't checked out Mark's FB page. Some of my squish videos are on there...so you can check out the long presses yourself! ;)

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
20 mins (at 195). He said he could stop no problem anytime I wanted, but it would have affected yields. The quality of the rosin is awesome IMO considering the source material quality... and the colour of the rosin squished after the first minutes, wasn't any different than the rest.... golden yellow, and taffy like consistency (very fragrant). He has squished many, many pounds while self teaching and having the luxury of using dispensary flowers to test/experiment with. Perhaps a lower temp would have created a connoisseur level quality, but if you know who i'm talking about he pretty much "knows everything" and my input was irrelevant :lol:

I've just started leaving my rosin out in the open air trying to get it to budder. So far, this shit won't do it...must be super stable...has that glass shine look to it, and when it gets warm I think I can see sort of like oils on top?

These days i'm only vaping hash rosin from Hashy Hands! I like it way better than flower rosin. So much smoother! And more potent. The Temple Balls are something else!

https://www.instagram.com/hashyhands/?hl=en

@JCat i'm surprised you haven't checked out Mark's FB page. Some of my squish videos are on there...so you can check out the long presses yourself! ;)
I have checked out his Facebook page ... not in any great detail though (can't slow down enough these days to spend much time browsing Facebook!)

I trust your feedback though, so if you say so, I might give it a try! :lol: ... first I might try just adding the steam and sticking to 2-3 min. squishes though! (I don't have the luxury of the dispensary flower! :lol: )

I haven't heard back from Mark since our last conversation, and I e-mailed him a few times as well, as I wanted to get a few things such as enail coils from him, but he never got back to me (which makes me 2nd guess my recommendation of the eWax Canada eNails, especially since @lazylathe had a similar experience trying to get coils) The eWax Canada are nice units though, similar as far as I know to the High5 LCD #1 units since I believe the controller is the same (Omron E5CC)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

I'm not talking down on the long squish, I was just trying to gauge input from other rosineers on squish duration. I remember reading a lot about long extended squishes last year when Elysian Research was getting recognition showing off their drip tech presses, but not sure how those long squishes compare to modern bottle tek style packings, or other methods. There seems to be multiple ways to squish a nugget, that's for sure!

The flower rosin or the hash rosin?

Top Bottom