Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
So many posts to talk about!!

1. Yes, for flower in filters, bottle tech with round plates provides the best overall quality IMO. Both with the least amount of trichom and heat damage. Cage plates makes this difficult.

2. You'd still want square plates if doing hash or keif so you can do directional flow.

3. PTFE - always more difficult to get the resin off, so that is a common experience Jcat. I believe that also means it will be less likely to release into the resin. Hopefully :)

4. I do inhale when loading the dab just for these volatile terp reasons. I only carb while still in my first pull. That's when using a banger anyway, I most use a waxpen so it's irrelevant.

Tries some nice sweet yellowish rosin from my buddy's slug33 in our new unreal
pen/capsule Yocan Stix .... a few drops of holy terps pure mixed in & Whamo!
Does anyone know how this leak proof small simple design works?
Does it drip in the atty? Works great on my evic also, ceramic coil inside

tennisguru1,

Mondy

What do you think is best, squishing buds directly or making dry ice hash first and then squishing? (I'm using hair straightener plates installed on a bench vice.) I'll be harvesting my White Widow in a month and so need to figure out next steps. Thanks again for your help!

Mondy,

mc

What do you think is best, squishing buds directly or making dry ice hash first and then squishing? (I'm using hair straightener plates installed on a bench vice.) I'll be harvesting my White Widow in a month and so need to figure out next steps. Thanks again for your help!

you will get less yield but much higher quality doing ice hash first. Less overall taste as well, I find any yield lost is also taste lost.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
HUUU-UUUGE shout out to Dake and their warranty/customer service. Reported the problem last Thursday, shipped out the replacement pump Friday, have it in my hands today via UPS. Back in the squish game :love:

mQ8la4E.jpg

I have heard that rosin pressed from hash(mostly hear about bubble being used) is less stony than flower. I have been told that the high is more clear. Have any of you experienced this?

I posted a month ago about wanting the cleanest rosin possible(as close to BHO w/o using solvents) w/ the least amount of wax/lipids, so hoping that pressing from hash(25 or 37 micron?) will be cleaner and more clear high.

I am going to order bags(25 micron?) to try to clean up some flower rosin(might try a Chemex filter too), think it can get as clean as pressing from flower? I just wonder what or if plant material gets pressed into the good stuff when using flowers?

Thanks & Peace.

Last edited:

shredder

pressing hash is a concentrate of a concentrate, so it'll be more potent and most likely cleaner. And yes, using a paper filter will clean up non filters rosin.

It will clean up terpenes as well. So the trade off for "clean" rosin is less yield and less taste and effects.

And the question of plant waxes in rosin as being somehow bad should be addressed. So far I've seen zero reason to eliminate plant waxes, or any perceived benefits from doing so. If there is a definite link between lipid pnuemonia and plant waxes, where is it? All I've seen are vague assumptions and opinions.

@shredder About a month ago, I posted about getting sinus headaches turning into migraines from rosin, but not from CO2/distillate/BHO. I do have some filtered Durban Poison rosin from kief to try, not sure of the micron though. I am hoping that cleaner rosin will not cause my body any issues, because I just invested in a nice rosin setup and want to continue to make my own medicine(already make edibles and tincture, just really like dabbing for strong and quick use). I am also planning on pressing some bubble hash, just have to pick up some rosin filter bags. I think for my body, the extra plant waxes could be a factor. I am also allergic to smoke and get headaches, which is why I quit combustion about 12 years ago. So my experience is definitely an opinion I am beginning to form based off of my experience.

Should I go with 25 micron over 37 micron for pressing some bubble and dry ice? I don't care about yield, just need cleanest possible. I will also use the bags to help clean up unfiltered flower rosin I have already pressed, have Chemex filters too.

Super appreciative of this community and all of the valuable information I have learned(mostly lurking throughout the years)!

Thanks and Peace.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Sometimes my flower rosin comes out cleaner looking than my hash rosin. This was some I squished the other day. Sorry there's a bit of particulate, was at my buddy's house and the RH on this nug was a little off from my preference.

Hfi5Z7b.jpg

miguelovic

It will clean up terpenes as well. So the trade off for "clean" rosin is less yield and less taste and effects.

And the question of plant waxes in rosin as being somehow bad should be addressed. So far I've seen zero reason to eliminate plant waxes, or any perceived benefits from doing so. If there is a definite link between lipid pnuemonia and plant waxes, where is it? All I've seen are vague assumptions and opinions.

Buy a gram of dewaxed and one of regular BHO. I wouldn't call myself any type of dab expert but the difference is obvious. Dewaxed is much smoother.

Assumptions. Yes. Like that a small piece of paper would effect the flavour in a noticeable manner. Cellulose has a strong affinity for cannabinoids and water. Been awhile since I repressed but I wasen't concerned losing a few tenths of a gram per half ounce.

Nylon would be a simple solution, either way.

shredder

Buy a gram of dewaxed and one of regular BHO. I wouldn't call myself any type of dab expert but the difference is obvious. Dewaxed is much smoother.

Assumptions. Yes. Like that a small piece of paper would effect the flavour in a noticeable manner. Cellulose has a strong affinity for cannabinoids and water. Been awhile since I repressed but I wasen't concerned losing a few tenths of a gram per half ounce.

Nylon would be a simple solution, either way.

I actually have made winterized rosin. I made it for cannacaps, but I did vape some in my dnail. It got me high for sure, fairly smooth, but it was also flavorless. No terps left.

Cellulose is plant fiber, plant wax is well, plant wax. You could have plant materials (cellulose) in your rosin, but you should be able to see it. Plant wax melts with the rosin, it's a part of rosin, you can't really see it unless its filtered out. Plant wax can hold some water, but they also hold terpenes. Eliminating waxes wipes out terpenes.

Now I'm wondering if some are experiencing water in their rosin. I know water can make for a rough taste. And others have suggested adding water to pucks can increase yields. Its in this thread i believe. While i dont add water, I've pressed very fresh buds before that we're full of water and ended up with a soupy mess that was pretty rough. Now I wait at least a week after harvest before pressing. And my smoothest tasting rosin is darker and comes from mature buds.

Temps you vape at and methods you use can effect taste as well. Hits off a really hot nail can send me into a coughing/asthma fit. So can metal coils.

Last edited:

shredder

@shredder About a month ago, I posted about getting sinus headaches turning into migraines from rosin, but not from CO2/distillate/BHO. I do have some filtered Durban Poison rosin from kief to try, not sure of the micron though. I am hoping that cleaner rosin will not cause my body any issues, because I just invested in a nice rosin setup and want to continue to make my own medicine(already make edibles and tincture, just really like dabbing for strong and quick use). I am also planning on pressing some bubble hash, just have to pick up some rosin filter bags. I think for my body, the extra plant waxes could be a factor. I am also allergic to smoke and get headaches, which is why I quit combustion about 12 years ago. So my experience is definitely an opinion I am beginning to form based off of my experience.

Should I go with 25 micron over 37 micron for pressing some bubble and dry ice? I don't care about yield, just need cleanest possible. I will also use the bags to help clean up unfiltered flower rosin I have already pressed, have Chemex filters too.

Super appreciative of this community and all of the valuable information I have learned(mostly lurking throughout the years)!

Thanks and Peace.

How are you using your rosin? A nail? If so what kind? What temperatures are you using?

Sometimes my flower rosin comes out cleaner looking than my hash rosin. This was some I squished the other day. Sorry there's a bit of particulate, was at my buddy's house and the RH on this nug was a little off from my preference.

Hfi5Z7b.jpg

Very nice! Mouth watering nice! I've had almost clear rosin before but it was tinted yellowish, not apricot like this squeeze. Did it eventually butter up?

miguelovic

I actually have made winterized rosin. I made it for cannacaps, but I did vape some in my dnail. It got me high for sure, fairly smooth, but it was also flavorless. No terps left.

Cellulose is plant fiber, plant wax is well, plant wax. You could have plant materials (cellulose) in your rosin, but you should be able to see it. Plant wax melts with the rosin, it's a part of rosin, you can't really see it unless its filtered out. Plant wax can hold some water, but they also hold terpenes. Eliminating waxes wipes out terpenes.

Now I'm wondering if some are experiencing water in their rosin. I know water can make for a rough taste. And others have suggested adding water to pucks can increase yields. Its in this thread i believe. While i dont add water, I've pressed very fresh buds before that we're full of water and ended up with a soupy mess that was pretty rough. Now I wait at least a week after harvest before pressing. And my smoothest tasting rosin is darker and comes from mature buds.

Temps you vape at and methods you use can effect taste as well. Hits off a really hot nail can send me into a coughing/asthma fit. So can metal coils.

Ah sorry, I am not always clear. Regarding cellulose I was refering to the paper filter.

Had a similar experience winterizing rosin for someone.

Water is easy to diagnose from the sizzle on a nail, even if it comes out manageable.

IME dewaxed stuff can be extremely harsh too, especially the high terp live resin sauces.

True enough. I have heard the same about extracts adultered with high levels of noncannabis terpenes.

shredder

Some medical users will have issues with heavy wax medicine. IT's tougher on the lungs for sure.

If you changed the "will" to "may" I might agree. I think we need more research here before we set blame. Concentrates by their nature concentrate, so if there was bad stuff (chemical fertilizer, pesticides and the like) in the herb, it will be in the dab. Magnesium given late in flower is known to give herb harsh hits, and it's reasonable to assume it would in concentrates too. Just an example. Anything sprayed on flowers doesn't really go away.

I keep thinking why is wax a problem in concentrates but not herb?

mc

If you changed the "will" to "may" I might agree. I think we need more research here before we set blame. Concentrates by their nature concentrate, so if there was bad stuff (chemical fertilizer, pesticides and the like) in the herb, it will be in the dab. Magnesium given late in flower is known to give herb harsh hits, and it's reasonable to assume it would in concentrates too. Just an example. Anything sprayed on flowers doesn't really go away.

I keep thinking why is wax a problem in concentrates but not herb?

Sorry but this has been debated already and it's two separate topics. (3 if you include outside toxins)

So it's true, they are both irritants. First, the terps are bad for you in high concentrations and even create new compounds that vaping flower do not create. Low temp dabbing can help negate this effect.

"That same study highlighted something else about cannabis extracts—namely how little we know about their relative safety. In a series of experiments, researchers led by Portland State University organic chemist Robert Strongin showed for the first time that myrcene, limonene, and linalool—three terpenes commonly present in cannabis—produce carcinogenic byproducts like methacrolein and benzene under simulated dabbing conditions."

Second; Your lungs do NOT want fat and lipids in them, you can get lipid pneumonia.

There's no debate here;

"Lipid pneumonia or lipoid pneumonia is a specific form of lung inflammation (pneumonia) that develops when lipids enter the bronchial tree. The disorder is sometimes called cholesterol pneumonia in cases where that lipid is a factor."

And your last question, why does flower not release lipids? It does, just not in the same high concentrated amounts. Like mentioned in my first point. THC is actually encapsulated in a LIPID that's brought along for the ride when mechanically separated.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Why isn't lipid pneumonia a concern for cannabis smokers? With all that exogenous tar and resin that must accumulate on the lungs from combustion, it should be rampant, no? Especially considering the sample size for cannabis smokers vs vaporists must be staggering.

Does anyone have a source for the vaporization point of these plant waxes? I've only found parrafin wax which is 700F.

mc

Why isn't lipid pneumonia a concern for cannabis smokers? With all that exogenous tar and resin that must accumulate on the lungs from combustion, it should be rampant, no? Especially considering the sample size for cannabis smokers vs vaporists must be staggering.

Does anyone have a source for the vaporization point of these plant waxes? I've only found parrafin wax which is 700F.

I believe it can but may not present itself just in the lungs;

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/what-is-cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome

And remember, medical users with lung issues probably avoided "smoking" in general.

mc,
Top Bottom