Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I found these pretty cheap, used 10 grams in them and 3.5 grams. 10gr was a tight fit with dense nugs!

https://smile.amazon.com/Rosin-Indu...055&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=rosin+industries+20

Do they have a big seam inside or no? I've used some Rosin Industries bags on a few of my presses that my buddy gave me, but I'm not sure how old they are as they seemed to have a big seam. I'd like to try the Nugsmasher bags since they are always repping bottle tek but not really sure if the differences between all these filters.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Do they have a big seam inside or no? I've used some Rosin Industries bags on a few of my presses that my buddy gave me, but I'm not sure how old they are as they seemed to have a big seam. I'd like to try the Nugsmasher bags since they are always repping bottle tek but not really sure if the differences between all these filters.
Thanks for asking the most important question when shopping around for these bags. The seam can really absorb some rosin so I like to stick with bags that have a small seam. Perhaps the nugsmasher bags are what I should try.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@invertedisdead Good question I can't compare it to the nugsmasher bags directly. The seam/thread is similar to AZPress Co's filters.

EDIT: The top 2 filters are the rosin industries, left side is inside out, right side is normal. Bottom filter is an AZ press co

zEv4B8G.jpg

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
IMO drip tech is dead. Everyone does directional flow off the plates anyway when doing hash presses and for flower bottle tech + round plates = future. Get all the wax/oil out easily and off the plates right away. None of this 5+ minute press crap.
I've been thinking about this ... getting smaller round plates ... I always press bottle-tech with 5-10g, so my puck is always an identical size, 4" circumference so diameter of ~1.25" ... so plates of 1.75" diameter would actually be perfect (would leave ~.25" space around)

mc

I've been thinking about this ... getting smaller round plates ... I always press bottle-tech with 5-10g, so my puck is always an identical size, 4" circumference so diameter of ~1.25" ... so plates of 1.75" diameter would actually be perfect (would leave ~.25" space around)
Ya it's tough to have the round plates for bottle tech and then square for directional flow. So my future business has some plans to fix that.

biohacker

The flower rosin or the hash rosin?

The flower rosin...my outdoor squished... either high terps or moisture is my guess.

@JCat @lazylathe I too have been ignored by Mark recently after @lazylathe CS experience. He's made it pretty clear to me that he wants nothing to do with FC as customers for whatever reason. I do wish I did squish at lower temps at the expense of yield, as I always prefer the highest quality material. Is there anything I can do to my current stash to make it "better"? @invertedisdead you mentioned heating it up? Whipping it, cooling, repeat? This doesn't degrade anything i'm assuming?

JCat

Accessory Maker
The flower rosin...my outdoor squished... either high terps or moisture is my guess.

@JCat @lazylathe I too have been ignored by Mark recently after @lazylathe CS experience. He's made it pretty clear to me that he wants nothing to do with FC as customers for whatever reason. I do wish I did squish at lower temps at the expense of yield, as I always prefer the highest quality material. Is there anything I can do to my current stash to make it "better"? @invertedisdead you mentioned heating it up? Whipping it, cooling, repeat? This doesn't degrade anything i'm assuming?
Strange ... his loss ... in that case fellow FC members, if you are looking for a good alternative, the High5 LCD #1 is a good option. I'm very happy with mine to-date (and it's $90 CAD cheaper than the eWax Canada ones ... @PlanetVape has them in stock)

lazylathe

Almost there...

Hope i had nothing to do with it bro! I know you had a good experience, so who knows whats up.
I only used FC as a last resort to contact him since he ignored every other platform i used.

lazylathe,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

Strange ... his loss ... in that case fellow FC members, if you are looking for a good alternative, the High5 LCD #1 is a good option. I'm very happy with mine to-date (and it's $90 CAD cheaper than the eWax Canada ones ... @PlanetVape has them in stock)

It's a beast! Thanks for suggesting it! :rockon:

Hope i had nothing to do with it bro! I know you had a good experience, so who knows whats up.
I only used FC as a last resort to contact him since he ignored every other platform i used.

I think he's just bitter from the past! :lol:

Dispensaries do the darndest things.

Naw, I don't keep up with this thread so I don't know exactly what's up, but this guy would only squish 30g at a time, not a lb :lol: Usually 28g flower + 2g moisture per squish.

mc

Naw, I don't keep up with this thread so I don't know exactly what's up, but this guy would only squish 30g at a time, not a lb :lol: Usually 28g flower + 2g moisture per squish.

I didn't say he was doing a LB at a time, I said doing 20 minutes a hit is ridiculous. That's 320 minutes to do 1 pound.

He's probably getting paid by the hour. And the energy to keep the plates heated for that time probably costs more than the weed itself.

mc,

miguelovic

Yeah I just don't see it. I do 12-15g of flower and 20-30g hash per press. Never have I seen a benefit to pressing longer than 5 minutes across a wide range of pressure and temperature.

Sunfire makes sense, he is pressing 100+g of hash at a go and can easily grade by time/heat.

I am sure he has his reasoning, and I apologize if it seems like I'm directing this post at you, but likesay, it is contrary to my own experience.

Last edited:

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
i'm reconsidering and may just go uncaged with Cannaplates.ca. It's hard to know who to believe about what, so i'm just going to educate myself as much as possible before investing.

Hi @biohacker If you wish to talk to me about plates. I am here to help. Some friends suggested i come on here and say a few words :) You can either DM me or we can talk here.

Thanks!

Mondy

John Berfelo, using 230 F with a CannaClamp, squishes until he "hears the sizzle" after about 20 seconds, and then counts to 20. I measured it as a 36-second squish.

He's the second guy on YouTube who mentions listening for the sizzle, which I assume would mean vigorous boiling. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about that?

Here's the clip, starting just before he says, "wait for the sizzle."

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I believe it is a combination of trichomes bursting along with the volatiles boiling off, that's just my guess. With some vaporizers you can hear the trichomes bursting and it makes a sound like rice krispies, especially if your material has large heavy resin heads.

Mondy

I believe it is a combination of trichomes bursting along with the volatiles boiling off, that's just my guess. With some vaporizers you can hear the trichomes bursting and it makes a sound like rice krispies, especially if your material has large heavy resin heads.
The common terpenes--pinene, myrcene, and limonene--all have boiling points around 340F, so I don't think it's boiling, I think your idea of bursting trichomes makes the most sense. You suddenly apply heat and pressure and stuff starts bursting as vapor starts to form? I need to listen next time--sorta like listening to my Rice Krispies. ;)

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
It might not necessarily be the terpenes you listed, but other volatiles. Like water, boils at 193F for example, at my elevation. How it reacts under pressure is a whole other subject. If you look at how things boil in a vacuum, it's not the same as under normal atmospheric conditions. I am not technical enough to elaborate further but I suspect there is something there. Hopefully someone else can chime in and nix my hypothesis or elaborate further.

Mondy

When I was trying to calibrate my heating plates, I tried putting water right on them at settings of 210, 220, 230... I did eventually determine that the digital settings on the straightener were about right, but the water only slowly disappeared over many minutes at those temperatures, so I don't think water boiling can be the explanation. I do realize this is getting into fine distinctions and all that really matters is the result...

Mondy,
Reactions: JCat

MinnBobber

.............................................................................................................
IMO, it's the oils/fats/water all getting the "super-conduction effect" of being under pressure + heat,thereby getting a 99%? mating surface to the hot plates (with just the parchment/bag in between) . Maximum effective conduction contact.
It's just like frying a burger ----when you press down firmly, it gets almost 100% conduction contact (vs only the peaks of the burger touching) and it kicks into high gear/sizzle sizzle sizzle mode.

With all this pressure, the buds are getting near 100% contact for the same sizzle. Trichs, volatiles, water all getting max conduction and they get sizzling and popping, just like a burger on a flat griddle that sears 10X faster under pressure/full contact with hot surface.

Max conduction gets things poppin' :)

CannaPlates

Owner
Manufacturer
At 230F its boiling and he is degrading the end result.. that sizzle you hear..kind of sounds like a sizzling steak. Its cooking. A proper rosin press should not have to climb above the boiling point of water. 212F. Man if a customer of mine pressed at 230f with my plates it would be a disaster.

I do get this is mostly a DIY thread, but if its sizzling..take it off the heat. DO NOT wait for 36 seconds after you hear the sizzle, John B imo is somewhat of a buffoon. In the beginning he was all about the truth..now he is all about the fame and cash.

You hear the sizzle..10 secs tops. Time is 100% your enemy at those temps. Im lucky if i climb above 185- 190F, (85C-88C)

Top Bottom