Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Clear trichomes are generally going to be immature still, if they are all clear. The size of trichomes is also a major factor. It can be helpful to identify your glandular stalked trichomes and sessile trichomes on the same part of the plant under high magnification. In most cases IME, a mature glandular stalked trichome found in your nugs (the ball part on the end of the stalk) should be much, much larger than stalkless, sessile trichomes found on the distal leaves. Mature glandular stalked trichomes are recognized in the literature to be ~8x larger than sessile trichomes.

Remember, the color of your trichomes may owe to excessive light exposure, too much heat or other factors. It is not just the color that is important. Color, size, smell and taste are all crucial. Generally, you should aim for the late end of the flowering period recommended by the seed bank. Most of the development of the glandular stalked trichomes takes place very late in flower. If you cut down too soon, you will have drastically less resin in the same flower - this is very wasteful of your efforts.

Many thanks, that's very interesting.

clearlight

anyone else break more quick clamps than hair straighteners? gone through 3 so far, a 300, a 600, then another 300. they break at the little joint where you can remove the far foot to turn it around backwards to become a spreader. Right where the little push button is to release the foot, that's where they break.

notice i went back down to a 300lb clamp after owning a 600? didn't get any better yield is why, just more torn parchment than before. with almost every strain i've tried so far, after some experimentation, have been able to get 20% yields or very near. each material requires it's own settings though. what i change are the press size, whether it's naked bud, a finger ball or a legit pressed puck, plus press temp & time obviously.

so far rehydrating has not helped me get any more out of otherwise poor yielding material. nor has breaking it all up before finger or die pressing. i use no bags or filters, and i'm using store brand parchment with no silicon pad or other insulating material. single (non-directional) fold.

some caveats with getting 20% using a hair straightener are that for me, i have to use high temps to get the good yields, so it is always sap. plus, the 20% usually doesn't come on the first squish, but takes some experimentation. and most importantly, around .4g is the max size to get the good yield, so it would take a long time to extract very much. i squish as i go, or sometimes do 4 or 5 at a time if i know i'll be busy later when i'll be wanting it.

fyi, to determine the yields, i am weighing the buds in on a milligram scale, then i weigh the collection dabber before and after, on the same scale. Once i figure out the best squish parameters for a particular type of bud, i can put away the scale.

edit: i never do 2nd or 3rd presses anymore. not worth my effort- chips go to edibles.

anyway, i always wanted to build an HMK but was waiting for my straightener to break. however it never did and now i've gone through 3 quick clamps. so this time i got one of those C clamp vice grip thingys and want to build an HMK using that.

now there is less room to mount the controller module on a vice grip, but my thinking all along was this: ditch the PID and just run the heaters through an old analog dimmer switch. this was the ticket for my vac purge setup. Since non-scientific hotplates only go down to 250 usually, and suck even at doing that— I found an old school one w no controls whatsoever, it just plugs in, and run it through a dimmer switch to get down as low as i want without fluctuation.

unless anyone can tell me the brand of hair straightener that goes down to 200-220F? none of them list the lowest temperature, instead they all brag about how hot they'll go.

Last edited:

matthend

^^^ I don't use a quick clamp, but I have gone through two c-clamps with my current straightener. I am very curious to see how this next experiment goes. I have the one listed below in a quote from another forum: I dont currently use it because it goes low, but the housing is really brittle, so I like the idea or wiring the plates up HMK style.

I did some research and have been using this one...$18 amazon warehouse deal, min temp is 200, plates are 2" ceramic coated metal and the housing is strong as the dickens. Any CS19 will work, CS19VCSR, CS19VCS, CS19CS, CS19QCS...they're all the same in a different box. CS31 works well also. I work at Conair so I've been buying them at work en masse haha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A1WGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also...
half gram squish is relevant. It is about 1 inch in diameter. Now again you were saying?

I think he was saying that you are coming off kind of douchey in the tone of your recent posts and that you may well be unintentionally alienating potential future clients that way, but in a nicer way than I ever could. I can say from my point of view I was excited to see you join, but that excitement has definitely been dampened by the latter part of your postings here

miguelovic

Do you really think urban consumers are better educated?!

I would say owing to larger population there are more in one place.

I do find them here but it is the land of green sift, black oils and all that lovely jazz.

miguelovic,

reskey

I just got this one specifically to hopefully try longer low temp squishes; it goes down to 170F

I think you'll have a hard time pressing at that temp with a hair straightener? I don't think you'll be able to put enough pressure on it to get it to yield?

reskey,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I think you'll have a hard time pressing at that temp with a hair straightener? I don't think you'll be able to put enough pressure on it to get it to yield?

Maybe, My current ones lowest temp is 280 so I needed an upgrade, I wanted something with the capability to go low, especially if I get to squish some bubble. You might be right though, but I was wondering about pressing for a long time - doesn't Elysian squish for like 30 minutes? I'm curious how duration affects yield. Of course they have way more pressure than me.

miguelovic

I scored one at a Value Village that went down to 170F. Broke it within a week. Sorry I deleted the picture and can't recall the brand.

If you can remove the plates easily, it is simple to cut down the plate size with a hacksaw. The heater usually runs down the centre and is around half the size of the plates.

Yield and quality went up. It allows the oil to flow away from the heat during longer (30-90s) presses.

Elysian presses horizontally and can easily separate as it darkens. He also packs 4-6g/in sq, much more than you want in a straightener.

dabsonthemountain

I would say owing to larger population there are more in one place.

I do find them here but it is the land of green sift, black oils and all that lovely jazz.

I know none of this was at me, but i have noticed the majority of rural populations do tend to use lower quality products... They aren't as into the "community idea." But this leads to a small minority which usually uses very high quality products too. So you get both sides. it's just hard to find the quality side of the spectrum.

Since working with a crummy dealer with 4-6/10 buds for years, ive found a dealer with 7-9/10 buds and he's my new buddy, i guess you could say... But it took about 2 years to meet him. People don't look for quality weed here, its just whatever you get in the bag you smoke. No one is really after quality besides a small, select few. But those few with with quality flower are so sick of the crappy weed they won't tolerate it anymore and they constantly have quality.

And when you meet that person with quality, it's worth it... suddenly you have a world opened to you... the few people around here who can hook you up, can really hook you up. I'm sure i'm paying less for top shelf flower than the people in north cal and the like. Rural populations really can surprise you. They have possibly even higher quality than larger populations because we have to teach ourselves and eachother, it dosn't come to us instantly through instagram or some social media, we have a tight knit circle. So the few who take the time to learn, tend to obsess over quality, so you'll find some very nice things in rural areas. It just tends to be local, very small scale grows that take forever to find. But sometimes theres nothing better than just that. And it's worth it. I'd take some local top shelf anyday than some cheap imported shit from across the continent.

The cheap shit is common, but the good shit is goood in rural areas. You just gotta look.

miguelovic

@dabsonthemountain

Yes I am starting to find that too.

My problem is getting to them. I am not a social person and despite living here most of my life, I hardly even know other cannabis smokers let alone dabbers/vapers.

I have started trading for glass with local artists as an in with a higher grade consumer. It is slowly paying off. Soon I will set my own price. I am not doing this to compete with 600$ oz's of unpurged mildew soup.

And yet at the moment I am.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This came apart a lot easier than many pictures of other disassembled units looked like. My new straightener is coming so I figured no loss if I look inside this thing. Plates are 1x3.5"

izrdk5.jpg

miguelovic

Your plates look wider, mine are really narrow. Did you get better results with the Quick Grip or the bench vise

I used the vise as a stand for stability while pressing. With a hollow bar to turn the handle it also worked well for prepressing. Squishing buds and cutting them into little rectangles was rather fun.

The picture is prior to hacking plates. Or maybe that was the next one. Might be the one I added cast iron plates to as a heat sink/hotspot moderator.

miguelovic,

dabsonthemountain

I ordered the Irwin 11sp vise grips but I'm wondering if I should have ordered this small vise instead to mount my plates https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQY44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
That vice is a piece of crap! Those cheap irwin vices, even the giant rotating 5 inch ones are pieces of crap. i've went through 2 in my rosin quest. If you want a vice get a vintage one from the 50's or 60's. They're all over craigslist and ebay. The vices nowadays are crap made from chinese pot metal. They are made to hold things, not compress things. They will break, bend, or fail in one way or another when used to compress. The old ones will hold up for another 50 years, and are made of high enough quality metal that they will withstand being used for compression. All those quality 1930s to 1960's companys went out of business because once everyone who needed a vice bought a vice, and then they were such high quality they never broke, which meant no one ever needed to replace it withanother one. So the companys sold a shit ton from the 30's to the 60's, then they all went out of business because everyone who needed a vice had one already either bought or inherrited one. So those companys shut down and china took over selling crap from then on out. It's like buying a quality lathe, the best ones are from the 60's, and they still run like champs. And your options are either a quality vintage lathe or harbor freight...

So in short, good choice! I tend to rant when drinking and dabbing... It's just crazy how quality standards have went down over the generations.

Buy once, cry once, i always say. Save up. it's worth it.

BUT... edit... if you want to press .25 at a time and just hangout at your desk, i can see that tiny vice being worthwhile. Just be careful, the handle may bend, and the free jaw may bend or break.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't want to invest too much in this cheap setup as that could go to something better. It costs as much to build a small setup as a big rosin press so that's a bit of a setback though.

I was thinking if I take the plates out my vise grips might not work as well as a bench vise but I guess I'll try squishing my new straightener as is before taking it apart. I'm a big believer in buying once, it's just not my #1 priority right now so I have to be reserved in what I spend. Anything should be better than using my body weight. I don't have anywhere to mount a standard bench vise, I don't have a garage or anything. I barely have a hall closet.

invertedisdead,

dabsonthemountain

I don't want to invest too much in this cheap setup as that could go to something better. It costs as much to build a small setup as a big rosin press so that's a bit of a setback though.

I was thinking if I take the plates out my vise grips might not work as well as a bench vise but I guess I'll try squishing my new straightener as is before taking it apart. I'm a big believer in buying once, it's just not my #1 priority right now so I have to be reserved in what I spend. Anything should be better than using my body weight. I don't have anywhere to mount a standard bench vise, I don't have a garage or anything. I barely have a hall closet.
Lol, i understand your situation. I mounted my first vice to my bedroom dresser. Besides my mattress sitting right on the floor, it was the only furniture in my rented room...
If you need to smoke or dab, just find a way. My dresser was 25$ through a yard sale, but 4 screw holes in the top of your current dresser won't kill you... It's cheaper to make rosin now than fight some mystery disease 30 years from now for smoking bho...
this songs got me tearin up...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Lol well fuck, my new straightener was in the mailbox all day

Managed to squish this out @220F

15qtg1k.jpg

Already broke the straightener though... I probably should have got the Quick Grip, the straightener seemed pretty solid but I think the small direct pressure point of the vise grips was too rough on the plastic housing; I think the more even distribution from a bench vise or trigger clamp style may have prevented it, though my yields may have been less? It was juicing.

I guess I'll take it apart and try to rig the plates up to something.

simpleasthcis

... As a box of ....
This may help if your breaking flat iorns
:borg:
Lol well fuck, my new straightener was in the mailbox all day

Managed to squish this out @220F

15qtg1k.jpg

Already broke the straightener though... I probably should have got the Quick Grip, the straightener seemed pretty solid but I think the small direct pressure point of the vise grips was too rough on the plastic housing; I think the more even distribution from a bench vise or trigger clamp style may have prevented it, though my yields may have been less? It was juicing.

I guess I'll take it apart and try to rig the plates up to something.

Strictly DIY
I'm sure there's many broken ions out there so before,during or arfter your plastic casing breaks this is an easy reinforcement.

ZMmob9L.jpg

The metal is from common type shelving cut and bend to fit your plates then jb weld it
To suit your clamping style .
:borg: ;) :science:
X4Fyx4n.jpg

toked23

Hello fellow FC enthusiasts... I've read through the related answers about good operating temps for a Rosin Press but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've been using a High 5 Press and the instructional vid says 300F but that seems high. Others tossed out different temps but some are for hair straightners and others for industrial 20 Ton presses. Does anyone have some suggestions about temps and press time for the High 5 it would be greatly appreciated. I've been using 225F for 10-15 secs of press and got some decent results in the beginning but now it's more so-so. I know that different quality of flower will yield different results but I'm using a White Kush at 25.3% and barely getting any results. Thanx

Didn't see anyone else reply to you so as a fellow high5'er I've had decent results with 210-220 for 30-35 seconds. I have mine mounted to my work bench in the garage and simply have some bolts and hand tighten them and then pull it down and stash it when not in use. I just don't need questions or eye balls as this is only for me. I've used fresh flower and year old flower and they seem to be similar yield wise. I haven't gotten real technical with it but this has worked for me. I've been using the chips as well. I'm grinding them and rolling them up for the rare get to get her with my buddies or just give them away when I see a few buddies of mine. The worst thing about this rosin is it is stickyyyyy, and sticks to anything and everything. Razor blade comes in handy to even get it off my scraper

I've noticed this isn't a very cheap option to get a little wax/rosin though. If I get say 20% yield, but I get even less use out of it, it seems hugely more expensive than using flower with my firefly2(which is maybe the most efficient vape ever created) ha. I'm almost questioning now if it's even worth it???? I can get a gram of concentrate for 50$. It seems I may be costing me more to make it myself as flower is 50/ eighth for solid stuff here, 40 for ok meds. Hmmmmm. Any thoughts on this from any of you veteran rosin guys?

Last edited:
toked23,
Reactions: jl420

shredder

Didn't see anyone else reply to you so as a fellow high5'er I've had decent results with 210-220 for 30-35 seconds. I have mine mounted to my work bench in the garage and simply have some bolts and hand tighten them and then pull it down and stash it when not in use. I just don't need questions or eye balls as this is only for me. I've used fresh flower and year old flower and they seem to be similar yield wise. I haven't gotten real technical with it but this has worked for me. I've been using the chips as well. I'm grinding them and rolling them up for the rare get to get her with my buddies or just give them away when I see a few buddies of mine. The worst thing about this rosin is it is stickyyyyy, and sticks to anything and everything. Razor blade comes in handy to even get it off my scraper

I've noticed this isn't a very cheap option to get a little wax/rosin though. If I get say 20% yield, but I get even less use out of it, it seems hugely more expensive than using flower with my firefly2(which is maybe the most efficient vape ever created) ha. I'm almost questioning now if it's even worth it???? I can get a gram of concentrate for 50$. It seems I may be costing me more to make it myself as flower is 50/ eighth for solid stuff here, 40 for ok meds. Hmmmmm. Any thoughts on this from any of you veteran rosin guys?

If I I didn't grow, and could score quality concentrates for $50/ gram, I'd just buy it. At $50 an 8th for herb, pressing it doesn't seem worth it. Even at a 20% squeeze, (not that everyone could hit that) you'd need 5 grams to return one gram of rosin.

jl420

Thanx bro I'm trying to get a consensus of temps people use so I can fine tune my Press results. I know it all depends on the material but it seems between 180F - 220F seems to be the sweet spot. I've been fortunate to get 1/8's for $35 and usually between 24.8% - 26% THC.

jl420,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Thanx bro I'm trying to get a consensus of temps people use so I can fine tune my Press results. I know it all depends on the material but it seems between 180F - 220F seems to be the sweet spot. I've been fortunate to get 1/8's for $35 and usually between 24.8% - 26% THC.
It depends on flower and humidity of flower and what pressure and stuff like that. I go for like 180-210 with flower and lower with bubble.

Quetzalcoatl,
Top Bottom