Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

MileHighHuman

The guys at domeless are great!

i noticed it says their original was just too expensive so that is why they have this new redesign which cost less to create.

Ive noticed all the pre presses are pretty expensive (for what they do)

Are these machined blocks of aluminum really cost this much to make?

Or are we getting over charged for these pre presses since rosin is the new popular thing going on?

shredder

Wow thats like half price of Rosin Evolution. I checked it out, but there are no photos on amazon so I'm probably going to go with the Rosin Evolution pre press.

Anyways, putting price aside, I'm really trying to figure out which size would be better. There might not even be a huge performance difference but id still like to think this over and come to a conclusion.

I dont plan to even use any bags.

I think it really just comes down to: will the rosin have to run thru more plant material if using the thicker and smaller sized pre pressed puck? (Compared to the thinner/larger size)

My pre press works fine, and I just checked, there are pics on Amazon however none seem currently available.

I didn't plan on using bags either. Or if I did, I thought I'd use coffee filters. But as things worked out through trial and error I now use bags.

Not sure what press you use, but my 20 ton will make huge paper thin pucks without bags.

I wouldn't get hung up on the oil traveling through plant material. My best yields were from full bags. Gaps in plant materials and bag seams rob much more oil than thick slabs would.

There really isn't much oil left in the plant material. Most oil will appear as shiny spots that collect on the bags edges.

And for what it's worth the longer presses, like 4+ minutes don't leave much for a second squeeze. And for second squeezes folding the pucks in half helps get the oil better than unfolded second squeezes do.

Last edited:

MileHighHuman

My pre press works fine, and I just checked, there are pics on Amazon however none seem currently available.

I didn't plan on using bags either. Or if I did, I thought I'd use coffee filters. But as things worked out through trial and error I now use bags.

Not sure what press you use, but my 20 ton will make huge paper thin pucks without bags.

I wouldn't get hung up on the oil traveling through plant material. My best yields were from full bags. Gaps in plant materials and bag seams rob much more oil than thick slabs would.

There really isn't much oil left in the plant material. Most oil will appear as shiny spots that collect on the bags edges.

And for what it's worth the longer presses, like 4+ minutes don't leave much for a second squeeze. And for second squeezes folding the pucks in half helps get the oil better than unfolded second squeezes do.

i actually just now bought the rosin evolution pre press. I already waited so long because of how over priced it is. But i feel its necessary so i said whatever. Bye bye $100

i planned to not use bags because i heard they take away from yield sometimes.

But what benefits have you found that makes you want to use those bags?

Mine press is 10 tons so the pucks come out very thin too.

Ill try to ignore oil traveling thru plant material. Just over thinking things.

And then i haven't done any 2nd presses, but i got 20% yield from average material so i feel most of it probably squeezed out. Ill try to re press once i have more rosin chips ready to be used.

Btw, i didn't know we could squish that long I figured terps would degrade. But so you say it squeezes almost everything out? You find 4 minutes produces the best results or just best yields?

MileHighHuman,

shredder

i actually just now bought the rosin evolution pre press. I already waited so long because of how over priced it is. But i feel its necessary so i said whatever. Bye bye $100

i planned to not use bags because i heard they take away from yield sometimes.

But what benefits have you found that makes you want to use those bags?

Mine press is 10 tons so the pucks come out very thin too.

Ill try to ignore oil traveling thru plant material. Just over thinking things.

And then i haven't done any 2nd presses, but i got 20% yield from average material so i feel most of it probably squeezed out. Ill try to re press once i have more rosin chips ready to be used.

Btw, i didn't know we could squish that long I figured terps would degrade. But so you say it squeezes almost everything out? You find 4 minutes produces the best results or just best yields?

The pucks get huge without bags and reabsorb oils. When I started using bags my yields went up. As I mentioned earlier I prefer low temp bags. They have heat printed seams that don't hold much rosin. I tried two others that I didn't like nearly as much.

Despite what we read on the Internet, I doubt few people honestly average 20%. If you do great, I'm not arguing that.

Honestly I'm getting roughly 17% and it varies even off buds from the same plant. As you'd expect since buds are not uniform top to bottom. Off one plant, super silver haze, I got 12-21%, I guess in the Internet speak/math I average 21% lol. On cannatonic #4 I get 7.5-9%, but it's great cdb oil, and worth it to me. Jesus OG on the other hand does very well, but it's sometimes uncomfortably strong. Each variety has its place I guess.

Long presses go along with low temps. I ussually start pressing at 200 degrees F, and go to 210-220 for a second squeeze. I very gradually apply pressure, and I don't stop until the rosin stops. The times very but 3-4 minutes is average.

After i get a slight pressure on the slab, I wait 30 seconds to warm the slab, then gradually increase pressure, stopping often to observe. I imagine each set up has its own unique sweet spots as far as temps, times and pressure.

You might want to go to the low temp web site and read the tips section. I found it very helpfull.

Last edited:

MileHighHuman

Wow i just read that whole tips n tricks page and its got so much good info!

But wow bags increased your yield?? Maybe because the other name brand bags are not good like Low Temps? They are stitchless which i read works better than whatever method the other bags out there use.

Then i pressed .9 of flower and got .2 in return. So that would be like 20% yield correct? Like you said every strain is going to yield differently

Are you sure 3-4 minutes is whats recommended? I thought it was 1 minute and the LowTemp tips N tricks suggest 15-60 seconds

MileHighHuman,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Wow i just read that whole tips n tricks page and its got so much good info!

But wow bags increased your yield?? Maybe because the other name brand bags are not good like Low Temps? They are stitchless which i read works better than whatever method the other bags out there use.

Then i pressed .9 of flower and got .2 in return. So that would be like 20% yield correct? Like you said every strain is going to yield differently

Are you sure 3-4 minutes is whats recommended? I thought it was 1 minute and the LowTemp tips N tricks suggest 15-60 seconds
I saw very little particulate when squishing flower if I pre-pressed the material first. .2g out of .9g is ~22.2%. Strains play a part in total resin and terpene content. Don't forget that moisture also plays a role. If I left a nug out on the desk to dry out and then squished it, the oil tended to not be as terpy and easier to overheat. If I left a nug from the same batch in a jar with a Humidipak or similar moisture control packets, and then squished it, the rosin flowed easier and I had to press longer than normal before I started getting into the "burned rosin" taste. Seems that the water content turns into steam at pressure, and since terpenes are water soluble but cannabinoids are not, the water content soaked up the terps and pressed the cannabinoids out with it (since oils are not miscible in water).

I never used bags and if we're being honest here my favorite pair of straighteners didn't even have digital temperature, just a range (like 200-435f). I would set the wheel, let it heat up, and go at it. Total press times were maybe 20-30 seconds? I liked to let it sit with no pressure for a bit, and gently apply pressure as it got up to temperature. All the second presses would come out oily and green (too much chlorophyll!) so I figured I got all the goods I wanted from the first press. Since the pucks still had some goods, they would get thrown in a coffee grinder, decarbed, and into some coconut oil.

Bags are a must for kief, hash, bubble, or sifts.

dabsonthemountain

The pucks get huge without bags and reabsorb oils. When I started using bags my yields went up. As I mentioned earlier I prefer low temp bags. They have heat printed seams that don't hold much rosin. I tried two others that I didn't like nearly as much.

Despite what we read on the Internet, I doubt few people honestly average 20%. If you do great, I'm not arguing that.

Honestly I'm getting roughly 17% and it varies even off buds from the same plant. As you'd expect since buds are not uniform top to bottom. Off one plant, super silver haze, I got 12-21%, I guess in the Internet speak/math I average 21% lol. On cannatonic #4 I get 7.5-9%, but it's great cdb oil, and worth it to me. Jesus OG on the other hand does very well, but it's sometimes uncomfortably strong. Each variety has its place I guess.

Long presses go along with low temps. I ussually start pressing at 200 degrees F, and go to 210-220 for a second squeeze. I very gradually apply pressure, and I don't stop until the rosin stops. The times very but 3-4 minutes is average.

After i get a slight pressure on the slab, I wait 30 seconds to warm the slab, then gradually increase pressure, stopping often to observe. I imagine each set up has its own unique sweet spots as far as temps, times and pressure.

You might want to go to the low temp web site and read the tips section. I found it very helpfull.
Have you ever tried the same technique, but pressing 4 separate times while lifting at 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes and then one at 4 minutes to compare yields? Now that i'm thinking of this I think we could each make an equation for all of our seperate diy or bought presses to find the max yield...

I ask because i think what you see as "rosin still flowing" is really just air and tiny h2o gas bubbles leaving the puck... I press for up to 45 seconds, it always looks like oil is still flowing but it's just bubbles i think. If i fold the pucks into half and half again, and repress it i'll get next to nothing. It's not even worth a single dab... I tend to get + 20% on quality bud, average 15-18. I press 2 grams max as well. My plates are small. If you have bigger pucks maybe times can be stretched... with strong directional flow too though...

I'm going to try your technique too btw and compare yields color and quality. I'm thinking your way would max yields, but it may be a compromise for other things...

And on filter bags, you don't need em'. If you want to filter press a few grams, then put the rosin itself into a filter bag and press that once very slowly at very low temps, like below. It was maybe only a g, but it makes life easier, and you get instant cake batter.
full

shredder

Have you ever tried the same technique, but pressing 4 separate times while lifting at 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes and then one at 4 minutes to compare yields? Now that i'm thinking of this I think we could each make an equation for all of our seperate diy or bought presses to find the max yield...

I ask because i think what you see as "rosin still flowing" is really just air and tiny h2o gas bubbles leaving the puck... I press for up to 45 seconds, it always looks like oil is still flowing but it's just bubbles i think. If i fold the pucks into half and half again, and repress it i'll get next to nothing. It's not even worth a single dab... I tend to get + 20% on quality bud, average 15-18. I press 2 grams max as well. My plates are small. If you have bigger pucks maybe times can be stretched... with strong directional flow too though...

I'm going to try your technique too btw and compare yields color and quality. I'm thinking your way would max yields, but it may be a compromise for other things...

And on filter bags, you don't need em'. If you want to filter press a few grams, then put the rosin itself into a filter bag and press that once very slowly at very low temps, like below. It was maybe only a g, but it makes life easier, and you get instant cake batter.
full

Like I posted in another thread, just experiment. How I make rosin is geared to my set up and for my goals.

How someone else makes rosin should be based on their set up and goals.

Some guys press for over 30 minutes, Google drip tech. It's all good. I don't think this is right or wrong, more like whatever meets your goals.

Again just try different things and decide for yourself. Lots of variables at play here to be too specific.

AllDayToker

Hello FC members,

I'm interested in making my own press. It will be small and for personal use. I'm wanting to press anywhere from 0.5g to 3.5g of material.

If anyone could point my in the right direction of the proper threads, or possibly DM me if you can help personally. Either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ADT

Last edited:
AllDayToker,

shredder

Hello FC members,

I'm interested in making my own press. It will be small and for personal use. I'm wanting to press anywhere from 0.5g to 3.5g of material.

If anyone could point my in the right direction of the proper threads, or possibly DM me if you can help personally. Either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ADT

Welcome! Here is a thread that might help.
And you might want to state your budget if you want specifics.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/home-rosin-presses-under-750-school-me.23294/

AllDayToker

Welcome! Here is a thread that might help.
And you might want to state your budget if you want specifics.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/home-rosin-presses-under-750-school-me.23294/

Alright thanks I will go check that thread out.

I would like to make a press with decent quality. Something that I can get nice and full yields.

I've tried pressing with a hair straightener before and couldn't get past 10% on multiple strains. I never put it in a clamp or vise so I know it was from lack of pressure, I just used body weight.

Instead of messing around with taking apart the hair straightener and putting it on an arbor press. I'd like to spend the money on quality plates and something that can get me 2500 to 6000 psi on the material. I want to make sure I can have a full range of psi and temp while pressing 0.5g to 3.5g of material. This way I can test myself for quality vs yield ratios.

AllDayToker,

AllDayToker

Check out the Nugsmasher Mini. Could probably build that for pretty cheap if you found a good price on the plates.

That Nugsmasher Mini looks right up my alley. I wonder how good it is?

I don't mind making a press at all, but obviously buying one ready to go is always a nice convenience.

AllDayToker,

Caelar900

Has anyone here ever tried a nugsmasher product? For the price it seems a very good value but I wonder about the quality...

Caelar900,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That Nugsmasher Mini looks right up my alley. I wonder how good it is?

I don't mind making a press at all, but obviously buying one ready to go is always a nice convenience.

Check out their Instagram, their other account just got deleted which had a bunch of videos, but they had a video up the other day of a 34% yield. Of course that's not normal, but it's nice to know your squishing with the capability to get everything you can out of your material.

Has anyone here ever tried a nugsmasher product? For the price it seems a very good value but I wonder about the quality...

Haven't tried one but I'm really interested in the mini. A few people on Reddit have them. They have a lifetime warranty. The only negative is they cost about as much as a DIY 10 ton build, but the mobility of it is very attractive. I like that I could squish out an 8th of flower and put it in the closet. I don't have room for a big press so it's pretty attractive to me.

AllDayToker

Check out their Instagram, their other account just got deleted which had a bunch of videos, but they had a video up the other day of a 34% yield. Of course that's not normal, but it's nice to know your squishing with the capability to get everything you can out of your material.

Haven't tried one but I'm really interested in the mini. A few people on Reddit have them. They have a lifetime warranty. The only negative is they cost about as much as a DIY 10 ton build, but the mobility of it is very attractive. I like that I could squish out an 8th of flower and put it in the closet. I don't have room for a big press so it's pretty attractive to me.

Do you think I would be better off spending money on top of the line plates and a press or buying that nug smasher mini? Let's say the budget is 500$ since that is the cost of the mini.

AllDayToker,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It seems pretty legit for a small personal press. If I had a bunch of material to squish I'd rather have bigger plates but they claim it's good up to an 8th. I think it's a good value compared to some of these repurposed arbor press rigs.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've had a unique opportunity in just a couple weeks to experience rosin from standing on a hair straightener, to using one with a vise grip, to mounting the plates into a 600lb trigger clamp, to mouthing those plates to a bench vise, then trying a Medisun Farms arbor press, then finally a 12 ton press with 3x5 plates. I just wanted to share some of my observations.

It's easier to press more at once. At first I thought this was a negative, and that the advantage of rosin is that you can just press a gram at once if you want; and that is nice, but realistically it's a bit of a hassle, especially with good rosin which tends to be fairly difficult to collect in my experience. And it's a lot more difficult when there's barely anything on the paper like squishing a half gram like I started off doing. It makes sense though, would you blast BHO, or make bubble hash with one gram of material? So while it's nice to be able to press small amounts, realistically it's preferable to squish at least a few grams at once in my opinion.

The hair straightener by itself with no additional pressure is more of a last ditch effort kind of thing. Cool to get your feet wet, clearly wasteful in the long run. Could be sufficient though of you were squishing bubble hash.

The straightener + handheld vise grip C clamp worked quite well, but the shear pressure was too direct and quickly cracked the straighteners housing.

The trigger clamp + straighter is very mobile, which makes it a fun and appealing setup. Downside is again limited to small presses, lacking pressure. Night and day difference in PSI though when compared to the humble bench vise. The quick release makes this setup less quirky than the bench vise if the plates are mounted however.

The bench vise + straightener is the best bang for the buck combo, but needs small presses (.5-1g) and my heating elements got crushed and broke pretty quickly. The best solution I've seen was a post on Reddit where some guy mounted the straightener plates inside a piece of box steel so no pressure is exerted on the heating element themselves. This should create a fairly accurate low temperature press for a really small investment. Im gonna try that with my replacement straightener plates. The downside to the bench vise is it involves a lot of fiddling around, especially if using a breaker bar on the vise. Takes a while to load and unload. We also actually broke the bench vise lol, we loaded another set of straightener plates in and got a few sessions out of it but a few days later the vise cracked in half.

I also got to use a Medisun arbor press. Negative to this is the lack of consistent pressure compared to a hydraulic press, or even the bench vise. Manual force required makes it difficult for some medical patients to perform, especially considering the small presses which go hand in hand with a press of this size. I preferred the bench vise setup to this for its capability to ramp up pressure and ease of use

The 3x5 plates I tried are uncaged, and after a few presses I would consider the cage pretty essential. If the plate comes down crooked it crinkles the paper and prevents the rosin from flowing properly, you end up with a bunch soaked into the chip. This setup with the 12 ton press is very simple and easy to use. Easy and consistent to apply and ramp up pressure, easy loading and unloading, easy to check the flow. The obvious downside is the size required for a setup like this. And it's just not practical for everybody.

AllDayToker

I've had a unique opportunity in just a couple weeks to experience rosin from standing on a hair straightener, to using one with a vise grip, to mounting the plates into a 600lb trigger clamp, to mouthing those plates to a bench vise, then trying a Medisun Farms arbor press, then finally a 12 ton press with 3x5 plates. I just wanted to share some of my observations.

It's easier to press more at once. At first I thought this was a negative, and that the advantage of rosin is that you can just press a gram at once if you want; and that is nice, but realistically it's a bit of a hassle, especially with good rosin which tends to be fairly difficult to collect in my experience. And it's a lot more difficult when there's barely anything on the paper like squishing a half gram like I started off doing. It makes sense though, would you blast BHO, or make bubble hash with one gram of material? So while it's nice to be able to press small amounts, realistically it's preferable to squish at least a few grams at once in my opinion.

The hair straightener by itself with no additional pressure is more of a last ditch effort kind of thing. Cool to get your feet wet, clearly wasteful in the long run. Could be sufficient though of you were squishing bubble hash.

The straightener + handheld vise grip C clamp worked quite well, but the shear pressure was too direct and quickly cracked the straighteners housing.

The trigger clamp + straighter is very mobile, which makes it a fun and appealing setup. Downside is again limited to small presses, lacking pressure. Night and day difference in PSI though when compared to the humble bench vise. The quick release makes this setup less quirky than the bench vise if the plates are mounted however.

The bench vise + straightener is the best bang for the buck combo, but needs small presses (.5-1g) and my heating elements got crushed and broke pretty quickly. The best solution I've seen was a post on Reddit where some guy mounted the straightener plates inside a piece of box steel so no pressure is exerted on the heating element themselves. This should create a fairly accurate low temperature press for a really small investment. Im gonna try that with my replacement straightener plates. The downside to the bench vise is it involves a lot of fiddling around, especially if using a breaker bar on the vise. Takes a while to load and unload. We also actually broke the bench vise lol, we loaded another set of straightener plates in and got a few sessions out of it but a few days later the vise cracked in half.

I also got to use a Medisun arbor press. Negative to this is the lack of consistent pressure compared to a hydraulic press, or even the bench vise. Manual force required makes it difficult for some medical patients to perform, especially considering the small presses which go hand in hand with a press of this size. I preferred the bench vise setup to this for its capability to ramp up pressure and ease of use

The 3x5 plates I tried are uncaged, and after a few presses I would consider the cage pretty essential. If the plate comes down crooked it crinkles the paper and prevents the rosin from flowing properly, you end up with a bunch soaked into the chip. This setup with the 12 ton press is very simple and easy to use. Easy and consistent to apply and ramp up pressure, easy loading and unloading, easy to check the flow. The obvious downside is the size required for a setup like this. And it's just not practical for everybody.

So what are your overall thoughts?

AllDayToker,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So what are your overall thoughts?

Bench vise + straightener is the best bang for the buck, but ultimately fairly fragile. I'll report again after I mount the plates in box steel tubing.

I'd still like to try the Nugsmasher Mini for small squishes, I think that would be nice for personal use; for larger, a caged 10+ ton press is the way to go.

AllDayToker

Alright so I have another question.

So say you are looking at the Nugsmasher and Nugsmasher Mini. Will that 300$ more for the regular size one yield more then the Mini? Or is the soul purpose of a bigger machine the amount you can press at one time?

If I ran both machines with the same amount of material, heat, time, and pressure, will the end result be the same?

AllDayToker,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
As far as I know the only limitation is the amount you can press at once. Everything else should be fairly consistent. Keep in mind you could get different returns even from the same flowers depending on whether you're squishing colas or popcorns. Some nuggets juice more than others. Nugsmasher put out a video of a 34% yield from the Mini which is ridiculously impressive. I think that was Jungle Boys material.

AllDayToker

As far as I know the only limitation is the amount you can press at once. Everything else should be fairly consistent. Keep in mind you could get different returns even from the same flowers depending on whether you're squishing colas or popcorns. Some nuggets juice more than others. Nugsmasher put out a video of a 34% yield from the Mini which is ridiculously impressive. I think that was Jungle Boys material.

Alright cool. I figured if I would get a higher yield the 300 would be worth it to me, but if they will be relatively the same then the Mini will be all I need. I highly doubt I'd ever need to press more then 3.5g at one time.

Yeah I've been reading and there are plenty of different variables when it comes to squishing and end result. I recently saw a video where the more fresh buds with 40 to to 60% humidity pressed better then the dried stuff.

I am interested in seeing if you can puck higher grade sugar trim and press it. I wouldn't see why not right?

Top Bottom