Quartz Banger Thread

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Does anyone NOT use a terp pearl? I wasn't satisfied with oil going up the sides of my insert, using a single clear quartz pearl, so I took it out and noticed that without it, I can pretty much keep 99% of it on the floor with my "manual bubble cap", and get better flavour. Maybe the ruby pearl will be better, maybe not.

The ruby/sapphire works a lot better to me. I never really felt like the quartz ones did much. Also my ruby stays spotless and the quartz ones like to chazz.

biohacker

I've settled back to just a banger, torch and a bubble cap.

I like your style! Minimalism at its best! :rockon:

...i quit using them in my setup just cuz i didn't really notice that big of a difference and they are a pain to keep clean ime...

Thanks for your feedback man! :tup:

The ruby/sapphire works a lot better to me. I never really felt like the quartz ones did much. Also my ruby stays spotless and the quartz ones like to chazz.

I figured as much, I mean it is just clear quartz, so we'll see next week when the ruby pearl lands! :brow:

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Does anyone NOT use a terp pearl? I wasn't satisfied with oil going up the sides of my insert, using a single clear quartz pearl, so I took it out and noticed that without it, I can pretty much keep 99% of it on the floor with my "manual bubble cap", and get better flavour. Maybe the ruby pearl will be better, maybe not.

I have 6 - 5mm ruby pearls and 1 - 4mm pearl that I typically put into my 30mm banger. I like to use them all at the same time.

When they are dirty and need to be cleaned, I swap to my ruby/sapphire steam rollers. I prefer the pearls over the steam rollers, the pearls seem to vaporize the goods a little faster.

I don't have any oil creeping up the sides with either the pearls or steam rollers. I'm guessing that the oil simply doesn't have time to creep up the walls with all that residual heat/surface area from the pearls? idk.

When using the pearls, I typically set my Auber to 490, but bump it to 500 for the steam rollers.

For cleaning, just drop the ruby/sapphires into some Simple Green. After a short soak, the "skin" of oil residue literally just pops right off. It's pretty crazy to see.

I notice a difference between my quartz and ruby/sapphire pearls, the quartz have been sitting in my closet.

I used to have 8 - 5mm pearls and 2 - 4mm pearls, but a few have gone missing! My brother lost 2 when they were in the Vrod (launched across the room, never to be found again) and I dropped one down the sink while cleaning.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
I've been using a single 6mm SiC sphere lately and haven't had much oil creep with a standard bubble cap. Not nearly as bad as the 8mm + 5mm with GTR cap at least. Taste is about the same as my rubies/sapphires, but somehow even easier to clean. So far my rating is SiC > ruby > quartz -- although it's probably a negligible difference between the ruby and SiC. For me, though, it's ultimately a matter of balance... that dab performance:maintenance ratio. And I swear my metrics and standards change daily. :lol:

That said, I do love this SiC dish but really only for ease of cleaning. I use the same method where I just pull it out and drop it in ISO straight after a dab. Comes out spotless every time. When I'm feeling lazy or taking multiple dabs, I'll just q-tip with distilled water, which also works well. I just... I hate to say it, but I think I prefer the simplicity of a bare banger. The temperature seems more consistent with my coil and PID. I'll probably hang onto it for those more rare drop-in dabs but maybe not for daily use. Time will tell...

Also, that half-opaque banger from GGS is beefy as hell and I dig it so far. Works a bit better with the SiC dish than my others as there's more contact all around but regardless, I've had to bump up my PID temp just a bit to compensate for the thickness. I was running @ 475 with a thinner banger, and more like 485 with this one (that's without the insert -- temps are more like 500-510 with it in).

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've been using a single 6mm SiC sphere lately and haven't had much oil creep with a standard bubble cap. Not nearly as bad as the 8mm + 5mm with GTR cap at least. Taste is about the same as my rubies/sapphires, but somehow even easier to clean. So far my rating is SiC > ruby > quartz -- although it's probably a negligible difference between the ruby and SiC. For me, though, it's ultimately a matter of balance... that dab performance:maintenance ratio. And I swear my metrics and standards change daily. :lol:

That said, I do love this SiC dish but really only for ease of cleaning. I use the same method where I just pull it out and drop it in ISO straight after a dab. Comes out spotless every time. When I'm feeling lazy or taking multiple dabs, I'll just q-tip with distilled water, which also works well. I just... I hate to say it, but I think I prefer the simplicity of a bare banger. The temperature seems more consistent with my coil and PID. I'll probably hang onto it for those more rare drop-in dabs but maybe not for daily use. Time will tell...

Also, that half-opaque banger from GGS is beefy as hell and I dig it so far. Works a bit better with the SiC dish than my others as there's more contact all around but regardless, I've had to bump up my PID temp just a bit to compensate for the thickness. I was running @ 475 with a thinner banger, and more like 485 with this one (that's without the insert -- temps are more like 500-510 with it in).

Does the SiC dish not wipe completely clean after a dab without ISO or water? My ruby stays spotless, so easy to clean, I assume its the porosity differences.

biohacker

Does the SiC dish not wipe completely clean after a dab without ISO or water? My ruby stays spotless, so easy to clean, I assume its the porosity differences.

Perhaps your temps aren't high? Nothing sticks to ruby? Even though I can use a q-tip, I still prefer to use the same ISO dunk method as @superdang9000. That's pretty awesome that SiC doesn't have thermal shock. I really need a full opaque AND SiC dish insert now! :D

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!

Well, I haven't owned it long enough to know for certain but if it's anything like my DNail or NV dishes, it sort of accumulates in microscopic amounts over time. So, it always appears to be clean with a dry q-tip until suddenly it doesn't, haha.

ChurroForSure-O

I’ve discovered a method that works really well for me.

I got this dabber tool that slips right into my quartz pi caps (both 25mm and 30mm) and the scoop end keeps it from going all the way through. Using this tool inside my bubble cap turns it into a stirrer. I was pleasantly surprised by how much this prevent chazzing, and moves my ruby pearls and steam roller without using airflow to do it. I think this is important for retaining heat in my bangers. You don’t have to draw hard to move the pearls and cool the banger down.

Just a slow draw as I stir my pearls and steamroller.

I also like loading up my dabber with sticky type ‘trates, hold through the cap, and into the banger. Keep the scoop hovered inside so it slooow melts onto the rubies... and then stir with slow easy draws.

Long live lower temps and thicker clouds!

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I’ve discovered a method that works really well for me.

I got this dabber tool that slips right into my quartz pi caps (both 25mm and 30mm) and the scoop end keeps it from going all the way through. Using this tool inside my bubble cap turns it into a stirrer. I was pleasantly surprised by how much this prevent chazzing, and moves my ruby pearls and steam roller without using airflow to do it. I think this is important for retaining heat in my bangers. You don’t have to draw hard to move the pearls and cool the banger down.

Just a slow draw as I stir my pearls and steamroller.

I also like loading up my dabber with sticky type ‘trates, hold through the cap, and into the banger. Keep the scoop hovered inside so it slooow melts onto the rubies... and then stir with slow easy draws.

Long live lower temps and thicker clouds!

Very out of the box thinking, I like it!

I just tried my skinniest dab tool (the ball point pin attachment from NewVape) but it didn't work. The initial skinny side fit though the cap, but it got too fat before it would poke through the other end.

ChurroForSure-O

It’s this exact one. It’s almost as if it were meant for it, it’s PERFECT. I got mine from AVS when I bought my molecule, but it looks like DHgate sells em as well as some other companies.
IMG_8026.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Well, I haven't owned it long enough to know for certain but if it's anything like my DNail or NV dishes, it sort of accumulates in microscopic amounts over time. So, it always appears to be clean with a dry q-tip until suddenly it doesn't, haha.

I know exactly what you mean about those SiC dishes, I believe that's the porosity that causes that.

biohacker

The Greek Glass Store bangers suck compared to 710Coils. I can barely even use mine with an insert because the bucket is so shallow. And I can't even use a terp pearl :lol: And this is with GGS gear (cap).

And the extra 1mm of opaque on 710Coils's bangers does make a significant difference in heat retention.

But the GGS ruby and sapphire inserts are the best deal out there, even though they're pretty small.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
The Greek Glass Store bangers suck compared to 710Coils. I can barely even use mine with an insert because the bucket is so shallow. And I can't even use a terp pearl :lol: And this is with GGS gear (cap).

And the extra 1mm of opaque on 710Coils's bangers does make a significant difference in heat retention.

But the GGS ruby and sapphire inserts are the best deal out there, even though they're pretty small.

I actually like my half-opaque from them quite a bit, but exclusively without inserts or pearls. I have the same problem when I start adding those things into the mix. If I use both an insert and pearl, instead of air moving the pearl, it's the tip of my bubble cap pushing it around :lol:

pghjd

SiC is not porous you have to make it porous in a factory using a sintering-decarburization process, which fadespace doesn't do.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
SiC is not porous you have to make it porous in a factory using a sintering-decarburization process, which fadespace doesn't do.

Have you ever dabbed off SiC? Rosin leaves a carbon residue on SiC that I simply don't get on my gems or quartz

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That doesn't mean that SiC is porous. The structure of SiC is very similar to diamond. Its non porous.

IDK man... Maybe you can explain it better than me then? SiC literally soaks up a residue from dabs. Everyone on the forum that had a SiC halo can tell you about it... My Quartz and gems simply do not absorb such residues.

invertedisdead,

pghjd

IDK man... Maybe you can explain it better than me then? SiC literally soaks up a residue from dabs. Everyone on the forum that had a SiC halo can tell you about it... My Quartz and gems simply do not absorb such residues.
Maybe the ones from dnail were poorly made. The process to fuse it probably can leave microscopic gaps if done poorly. Fadespace's are medical grade and the people who use those rave about them. Qtipping with iso/distilled water should work with any sic product tho. I also haven't heard of people having this problem if they q tip regularly. I've never seen someone complain about the SiC on the newvape thread. Also the dnail sic halo hasn't been popular(except for with the flowerpot) since like 2015-16 when q tipping was barely a thing.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Maybe the ones from dnail were poorly made. The process to fuse it probably can leave microscopic gaps if done poorly. Fadespace's are medical grade and the people who use those rave about them. Qtipping with iso/distilled water should work with any sic product tho. I also haven't heard of people having this problem if they q tip regularly. I've never seen someone complain about the SiC on the newvape thread. Also the dnail sic halo hasn't been popular(except for with the flowerpot) since like 2015-16 when q tipping was barely a thing.

Dude, no e-nail has EVER been more popular than torching lol. I remember when the first one came out, my buddy still has the original Highly Educated e-nail and controller.

We all know that SiC cleans up with ISO and distilled water, I probably have 100 posts describing that to others that you can research lol. There's a post on this exact page describing how the Fadespace SiC absorbs concentrate residue, just as all the other SiC inserts.

Lol @ medical grade. That's a classic marketing line in the vape industry. I got a whole drawer full of vaporizer components made from stainless steel, silicon carbide, titanium, platinum cured silicone, S&B plastic, and a variety of other "medical grade" materials you can have. :rofl:

invertedisdead,

pghjd

Dude, no e-nail has EVER been more popular than torching lol. I remember when the first one came out, my buddy still has the original Highly Educated e-nail and controller.

We all know that SiC cleans up with ISO and distilled water, I probably have 100 posts describing that to others that you can research lol. There's a post on this exact page describing how the Fadespace SiC absorbs concentrate residue, just as all the other SiC inserts.

Lol @ medical grade. That's a classic marketing line in the vape industry. I got a whole drawer full of vaporizer components made from stainless steel, silicon carbide, titanium, platinum cured silicone, S&B plastic, and a variety of other "medical grade" materials you can have. :rofl:
He has his certifications posted. Its not just talk. You're also misquoting the earlier post. He said it appeared clean with a dry q tip. Meaning he was taking back to back dabs without distilled water/iso swabs. Pretty much anything will have residue at that point and a dry q tip probably won't help. The person who has the banger insert said he just drops his in iso and its clean every time, doesn't mean you can't clean it any other way, its just easy to drop something in a cup or swab it.

Top Bottom