• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Quartz Banger Thread

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
SMH just cleaved the whole neck and mouthpiece off the top of my CCG SOL glass, was shaking all the water out after cleaning and I accidentally hit my phone in my pants pocket, which took the whole top off!

Is quartz the only insert material that can withstand the thermal shock of a drop-in?

Silicon carbide would work as well.

biohacker

Sorry about your loss! You know I just went through that with my sunshine store piece! May they both :rip:

What's the consensus and word on the street regarding opaque vs SiC for taste and vapour quality only, regardless of maintenance? I know some for sure prefer the opaque over SiC, but wondering if anyone prefers SiC without maintenance as a factor?

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
What's the consensus and word on the street regarding opaque vs SiC for taste and vapour quality only, regardless of maintenance? I know some for sure prefer the opaque over SiC, but wondering if anyone prefers SiC without maintenance as a factor?

I tried going back to my NV slim nail and SiC dish (with the new VRod spinning cap) mostly for ease of maintenance. I figured I could use that as my daily driver, with quartz as my special occasion or weekend setup. The moment I tasted that metallic vapor, I said noooooope and it went back in the drawer. I've been hanging onto the flat coil and SiC dish hoping a Macor nail and cap might come out, but I think I'll end up selling them off because I'm so happy with the flavor and performance of the quartz. The extra maintenance is worth it, at least for me.

SMH just cleaved the whole neck and mouthpiece off the top of my CCG SOL glass, was shaking all the water out after cleaning and I accidentally hit my phone in my pants pocket, which took the whole top off!

Noooooo! :( Sorry for your loss.

biohacker

I tried going back to my NV slim nail and SiC dish (with the new VRod spinning cap) mostly for ease of maintenance. I figured I could use that as my daily driver, with quartz as my special occasion or weekend setup. The moment I tasted that metallic vapor, I said noooooope and it went back in the drawer. I've been hanging onto the flat coil and SiC dish hoping a Macor nail and cap might come out, but I think I'll end up selling them off because I'm so happy with the flavor and performance of the quartz. The extra maintenance is worth it, at least for me.

Thanks, I should have clarified more... SiC vs OPAQUE.... No Ti... dumped that shit for good. Just curious if it's worthwhile to grab a SiC insert for taste/vapour quality.... or is opaque just better?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The moment I tasted that metallic vapor, I said noooooope and it went back in the drawer. I've been hanging onto the flat coil and SiC dish hoping a Macor nail and cap might come out,

That reflects my thoughts exactly!

BTW Edwyn (from NV) told me in a recent email that Macor was probably off the table now. Maybe I'll just build my own vaporizer then! :D

Noooooo! :( Sorry for your loss.

I hope this sacrifice will protect my ruby for the next 2 years!

Thanks, I should have clarified more... SiC vs OPAQUE.... No Ti... dumped that shit for good. Just curious if it's worthwhile to grab a SiC insert for taste/vapour quality.... or is opaque just better?

Not sure who on FC even has a SiC insert but I know Fadespace makes one.
Would be cool to try one but not sure if will nudge out that opaque quartz!

buddingglasshead

That reflects my thoughts exactly!

BTW Edwyn (from NV) told me in a recent email that Macor was probably off the table now. Maybe I'll just build my own vaporizer then! :D

I hope this sacrifice will protect my ruby for the next 2 years!

Not sure who on FC even has a SiC insert but I know Fadespace makes one.
Would be cool to try one but not sure if will nudge out that opaque quartz!

I do. Wanted to mention about your SiC dropping comment. Don't. There are grades of SiC that can take the thermal shock, but FadeSpace does not recommend using their current insert for the drop method. I had talked to the owner and he mentioned wanted to make one that can be used for drop tech though.

He was also willing to have some bangers made for me that perfectly fit the SiC insert as it is a bit of wiggle room even in a 24mm banger. As much as they meme on IG, they really are just a bunch of down to Earth guys. From my understanding, FadeSpace is just a few Engineers who just want to make cool shit.

Unfortunately I haven't had the oppurtunity to use opaque yet so I can't comment on the difference, but I do love my SiC insert. Have one or two 6mm quartz balls in there with it and it's so easy to keep clean. I was using it as my enail set up until I also had an unfortunate event with a monitor wall mount falling onto my banger and breaking it leaving me with no enail banger set up. I've been using a torch and just haven't gotten around to getting a new banger set up. Eventually will get a full set up from Shane, though!

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!

Aha, sorry, haven't seen them myself.

BTW Edwyn (from NV) told me in a recent email that Macor was probably off the table now.

Did he happen to give a reason? I wonder if it's a cost thing, or heading off the potential "safety" storm.

I've been contemplating something like this for a small, lower function rig: https://bit.ly/2BLVhLb. What do you all think? Not sure about the showerhead perc. I discovered Yoshi eggs recently and love the design but the cost is so wildly out of my ballpark, I've been trying to find something with just similar stature and function...

Edit: well, probably not a good option, some of the reviews mention it's not very stable.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Did he happen to give a reason? I wonder if it's a cost thing, or heading off the potential "safety" storm.

I've been contemplating something like this for a small, lower function rig: https://bit.ly/2BLVhLb. What do you all think? Not sure about the showerhead perc. I discovered Yoshi eggs recently and love the design but the cost is so wildly out of my ballpark, I've been trying to find something with just similar stature and function...

Edit: well, probably not a good option, some of the reviews mention it's not very stable.

It's because a few people are concerned over the 4% fluorine in the composition.

I mentioned that a key feature of MACOR is it's zero porosity, so even if it were to hypothetically off gas fluorine, it would be trapped in its own hermetically sealed chamber. And the temps/environment/operating conditions we would use it at would be way under any type of concern for that IMO. If we were using it at 1000C under intense vacuum I might be more concerned.

The Yoshi eggs are dope especially the Puffco Peak attachment!

Personally I don't think I'll ever buy another 45 degree jointed rig again, at least not for an enail setup, they are fantastic for torched nails but the center of gravity tends to get thrown off with the enail if it's a small rig and hard to get a joint and banger that match up flat and level. I hate when nails aren't level cause they just don't vaporize efficiently, it always pools. I see that rig has a little dropdown adapter for the joint but I personally don't like dropdowns; especially with my preference for small rigs, too much wobble :D

ChurroForSure-O

I also would like to know not only the flavor of Ruby inserts VS opaque quartz, but also am curious about the vapor production. I would assume opaque quartz produces thicker vapor due to increased nucleation, but I don't have a Ruby insert to compare. Also wondering if its worth the upgrade, but I'm thinking opaque is hard to beat!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I also would like to know not only the flavor of Ruby inserts VS opaque quartz, but also am curious about the vapor production. I would assume opaque quartz produces thicker vapor due to increased nucleation, but I don't have a Ruby insert to compare. Also wondering if its worth the upgrade, but I'm thinking opaque is hard to beat!

I'm still using a $10 opaque quartz banger so it's definitely hard to beat that as far as straight up value goes.

Haven't had the ruby long enough to say a whole lot, I actually haven't even been able to use it too much yet as I gave my 25mm setup to my friend, now that I have the ruby I need a new controller and coil! I don't wanna speak too soon about flavor but flavor retention over the course of a dab seems improved.

Especially for 1. the Drop Tech!!! and 2. the Price! :D

But @invertedisdead is pretty damn convincing!!! :lol:

Who? :mmmm:

:cheers:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!

I've been using the 30mm for a couple months now, with axial coil. I personally prefer it because it gives the oil a "track" to follow, and has great heat retention. Reminds me of a SiC donut dish. It does take slightly longer to heat soak but I generally let my rig sit for about 5 minutes or so before use anyway. Q-tipping is a bit more difficult too because you're adding more crevices. Other than those minor drawbacks, I love it. You might be able to achieve a similar effect using a diamond knot or those opaque gear inserts. Haven't tried them personally so I can't compare.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
The flesh was too weak, or the mind to curious...either way.... :D :D :D

24q32bs.png

ps. They have a discount code -20% till midnight "2018grateful" :)

Last edited:

MileHighHuman

Whats members favorite carb cap?

The Gordo GTR for $120 and the adjustable airflow clear colored carb cap for $80 look like the best from my research.

Last edited:

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Very user independent, I love my Gordo´s but some don't like them for their tad more restrictive airflow,
Quarz Pi also seems a good and not expensive choice..rly hard to give an advice..I don't rly like the handling of the GTR i.E. and therefor prefer the OG Gordo Bubble ;)

biohacker

Top Bottom