Quartz Banger Thread

biohacker

Thanks @StormyPinkness makes perfect sense because that's exactly how I feel about my Marley cap vs the Pi cap. I feel that the Pi cap has almost way too much airflow, but they are both decent, just in different ways. I don't think I like the pearls anymore... I just find it smoother and better tasting without.

Megaton

Man i have a lot of reading to do! Just ordered my first ever cheapo quartz banger from dhgate (will heat up and run under water to verify it's not glass).

Looking forward to getting to grips with this thing!

Megaton,

biohacker

Man i have a lot of reading to do! Just ordered my first ever cheapo quartz banger from dhgate (will heat up and run under water to verify it's not glass).

Why is it supposed to break if it's glass but not if it's quartz? Did you go opaque? I can't go back to my cheap 20mm china clear quartz after trying 710coils 30mm opaque. Night and day. Big time.

Megaton

From what i have read on the internets glass will break under the rapid cooling but real quarrz won't? But thats just according to google, more than happy to be educated if that's not the case!

Nope, just went for this guy based on nothing else but its apparent popularity on dhgate. But then, i know nuffink! So im kinda prepared to find out i made a poor choice :rofl:

Megaton

Haha thanks! So far i have just been dabbing using my log, but i tried a dab off a mates ti nail rig and decided i wanted to try it "properly".

Yet another rabbit hole of gear i've thrown myself down :lol:

Megaton,
Reactions: 710Coils

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
From what i have read on the internets glass will break under the rapid cooling but real quarrz won't? But thats just according to google, more than happy to be educated if that's not the case!

Nope, just went for this guy based on nothing else but its apparent popularity on dhgate. But then, i know nuffink! So im kinda prepared to find out i made a poor choice :rofl:

You're gonna be super stoked once you get everything dialed in, IMO, Id spring for a setup from @710Coils
Everything is very well paired and the performance is top notch for the money.

Also

https://highlyeducatedti.com/blogs/information

is a great resource for info about quartz, oddly from the ti guys, they even have a few specific write ups about the thermal expansion/contraction you were asking about.

Happy dabbin!

biohacker

HOLY SHIT! Cold Start Dab warning if using terp pearls!

I was only using one single pearl, and had a glob of HTE infused distillate ready to go. Started my usual approximately 10s torch up from the bottom, and at about the halfway point POW!!! Scared the crap outta me so I shut my eyes immediately and for sure thought when I opened them that my banger was in pieces. But no! It must have reached its flash point due to the amount of terps/oil in the bucket and shot the pearl straight up and out! lol Thank fuck it didn't hit me! lol

All was well and I proceeded to finish the bucket and it was amazing! That terp pearl was hella sticky and stuck to my stove top lol

Anyways, haven't had that much "excitement" in this hobby, in a long while! :D Good thing I don't have a heart condition!

Be careful cold starters! :rockon:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
HOLY SHIT! Cold Start Dab warning if using terp pearls!

I was only using one single pearl, and had a glob of HTE infused distillate ready to go. Started my usual approximately 10s torch up from the bottom, and at about the halfway point POW!!! Scared the crap outta me so I shut my eyes immediately and for sure thought when I opened them that my banger was in pieces. But no! It must have reached its flash point due to the amount of terps/oil in the bucket and shot the pearl straight up and out! lol Thank fuck it didn't hit me! lol

All was well and I proceeded to finish the bucket and it was amazing! That terp pearl was hella sticky and stuck to my stove top lol

Anyways, haven't had that much "excitement" in this hobby, in a long while! :D Good thing I don't have a heart condition!

Be careful cold starters! :rockon:

This is a perfect example of Isaac Newton's first law of physics - a dab in motion, stays in motion! :D:lol::D

710Coils

Manufacturer
@biohacker I messed around for a few months trying to come up with different bangers with more opaque. Even had one carver out of a solid rod of opaque. They then added a quartz neck to it. No seems since it was carved and then polished. I was expecting to blow my socks off. It didn't. It was not as great as I expected and just did not hold the heat as well as just having the puck on the bottom. The biggest change that I did to my opaque bangers long ago was to increase the thickness of the puck and this was the biggest improvement out of all the testing I did (Testing.....lol)

I have a long table in my office and when I was developing my bangers to what they are now. I had a ton of samples, that did not come out as expected. I have finally cleaned up the table to only have under a dozen bangers on it at any time =P

I am due to get some opaque spinners for the bangers. Just a flat chunk of opaque that spins in the bottom of the banger. They are supposed to be easy to spin and work better than pearls. Will have more to report on them tomorrow when they land

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
We all know how awesome opaque is... but what about a design where that opaque floor also extended up the sidewalls maybe 4-5mm? Or even higher contingent on cost? @710Coils is this possible Shane?
It is possible and already exists as inserts.

Cryptic culture makes them and sells them on Etsy. I have been very tempted.

Crystal Star Quartz sells a fully opaque quartz insert for the Peak. This was the first fully opaque insert I had heard of which lead me to find the Cryptic Culture ones.

Please do let us know your experience if you buy one of these!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
A buddy just got a Constant Gems ruby insert and I was lucky to get some air-time on it. I like it a lot! :luv:
Was definitely impressed with the smoothness of the vapor.

For sure it looks badass in a nice banger. The color makes it kind of hard to tell if the oil is gone though. Maybe a reason to go sapphire.

The opaque quartz is still really solid though, I wouldn't say they are worlds apart, like the opaque and titanium; but noticeable for those that are really dialed in to their setups.

tylerj55

biohacker

Just a warning, I have not heard good things about their customer service. 710coils on the other hand has amazing customer service.

I just realized that I don't think i'd be very happy with not seeing any of the action with the all-opaque! And I know I wouldn't be happy with shoddy CS! I've been over the moon with both my 30mm opaque (and opaque inserts!) and 710Coils' CS! Never been happier! :D

Megaton

Would it be possible to get quartz to dabbing temperature with a torch like this one?

I know its kinda puny compared to the big dabbing torches (one of which i will be getting asap) but will this do in the meantime? Its still bigger (and produces a bigger flame) than the small standard torches.

(Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this question!)

Megaton,

tylerj55

Would it be possible to get quartz to dabbing temperature with a torch like this one?

I know its kinda puny compared to the big dabbing torches (one of which i will be getting asap) but will this do in the meantime? Its still bigger (and produces a bigger flame) than the small standard torches.

(Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this question!)
It would work if the quartz is super thin and you are using the cold start method. Otherwise it would probably run out of butane before heating it up. A thermal banger from China would probably work with that alright as long as you use the cold start method.

Last edited:
tylerj55,
Reactions: Megaton

Megaton

Sorry guys! Me again!

Just wanted to check, will any chef style torch be sufficient to heat a banger? Bought myself a big standard cheap one to keep me going in the meantime, just hoping it will do the trick!

Megaton,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
It will get you there... BUT it will use a lot more butane to reach temperature than say, a Blazer BigShot. IMO BigShot is the only torch to buy. Nothing will outlast it. The igniter on your chefs torch will likely fail within 6 months, depending on your use. That will not happen with BigShot.

What might take 30 seconds or more to heat with a chefs torch, the BigShot can make a banger glow in 10-12 seconds.

Megaton

Thank you for the response @FlyingLow!

Concentrates are hard to come by over here, so dabbing is more of a treat than a regularity. At the moment i just want to see how a proper banger compares to just sticking a glob on top of some herb and hitting that through a waterpiece with a log. With that in mind a £40 upwards torch is more than i need right now, though i wouldn't rule one out in the future (god knows V.A.S has made a fool of me enough to never say never!)

Megaton,

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I've tried everything from plumbers torches to my triple flame vapcap lighter. @FlyingLow is spot on with the blazer info and that's my daily driver. With a smaller torch I'd give cold start tech a shot. You'll have the visual feedback of the oil melting and the cooking torch should provide plenty of heat to get to vape temp. As I see it, folks are heating bangers way hotter than they really need to be - if I had a nickel for every time I heard "i stop heating when it glows" or "i'll just torch it clean" I'd be rich.

bizwaxzion,
Reactions: Megaton
Top Bottom