Quartz Banger Thread

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Was cruising the sites and saw this, a much better explanation of the technique I mentioned a while back as, IMO, a far superior method of torching

https://www.highlyeducatedti.com/blogs/information/cold-start-techniques

I used to do cold starts with a triple jet torch and my thermal p! it wasn't near big enough to heat the whole banger up so it worked to get a rip lol. It's pretty sketchy compared to an insert drop though, at least with the sized rigs I prefer. :D

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Anyone know at what temperature ruby pearls tend to change color? I realize this may even be more of a range than an exact temp but I was trying to get an idea if their color changing properties make any significance at lower temps.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
@nosmoking I have used the ruby pearls with my coil setup and they worked great. The color change with them was due to them getting dirty and losing the bright neon red glow when put under a UV light. Once I pulled them out and cleaned them.They were like new again. I was running them around 510 on my controller

Even perfectly clean rubies will change color with the temp. At a very high temp, over 700, they start to really darken and almost turn black.

@nosmoking I don't think the color change with rubies will be much help with low temp dabs. You might be able to see a subtle change, but the big color change happens at higher temps.

If someone had an accurate probe thermometer, it would be interesting to take a series of pics of the ruby at different temps to see the gradient.

MileHighHuman

Here is a video using a Fatboy/KJ bubble cap and then back to Gordo and then back. You can see the difference!!
Temp is about 460F on this one and im dropping some live resin this time around. Rig is a Leisure Baby Jesus

I can't edit the slomo so i just deleted the prior video of just the gordo bubble cap since it was 3 and a half mins of slomo.

Hey which cap did you feel performed better?

The Fatboy or Gordo Scientific?

MileHighHuman,
Reactions: nosmoking

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I have the DHGate riptide knockoff and several nice bubble caps. I tend to like the bubble caps more for dense vapor and flavor when a concentrate has good flavor. For reclaim dabs or less than stellar material I find the added airflow of the Riptide Knockoff to reduce the flavor profile and lighten up the vapor density a bit while allowing me to take a bigger dab since its not as good quality material. I use quartz terp pearls with both. The ripknockoff spins them like there is no tomorrow but your balls to the wall, they will never see the center of the banger and this often leaves a puddle in the center since the dabs are typically bigger when I use this cap. The bubble cap on the other hand spins them slowly and requires you to direct them but you can go multidirectional or even across the middle of the floor. The bubble cap can also cause the terps to jump or bounce occasionally.

I am glad I have both in my arsenal, but if I had to choose one...its hands down on the bubble cap! I think most that have both a gordo and bubble cap tend to go for their bubble cap more often but thats just what I gather from the few I have talked to about it.

biohacker

I've never understood the advantage of a terp slurper. They look EXTREMELY messy.

What's the upside to a terp slurper?

I don't know anything myself, but I found this:

A terp slurper is a new design on an old method of dabbing. While buckets have been common for several years, this style of bucket helps ensure less wasted product regardless of the size of the dab consumed.

Similar to a traditional bucket, the terp slurper has an additional tube leading down to an open tray, or skillet. Small slits in the bottom of the tube allow airflow to continuously flow as the consumer inhales, creating a vacuum which constantly “percolates” the shatter, wax, or resin. With a dome or cap, the percolation keeps the oil moving over the heated surface, preventing burning the product and allowing more time for the vapor to be inhaled.

The biggest advantage of this innovative new design of quartz banger is it allows for complete usage of the product even in large doses. In addition, by preventing burning, the airflow created by the slits in the bottom dish improves the overall flavor of the dab.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I don't know anything myself, but I found this:

A terp slurper is a new design on an old method of dabbing. While buckets have been common for several years, this style of bucket helps ensure less wasted product regardless of the size of the dab consumed.

Similar to a traditional bucket, the terp slurper has an additional tube leading down to an open tray, or skillet. Small slits in the bottom of the tube allow airflow to continuously flow as the consumer inhales, creating a vacuum which constantly “percolates” the shatter, wax, or resin. With a dome or cap, the percolation keeps the oil moving over the heated surface, preventing burning the product and allowing more time for the vapor to be inhaled.

The biggest advantage of this innovative new design of quartz banger is it allows for complete usage of the product even in large doses. In addition, by preventing burning, the airflow created by the slits in the bottom dish improves the overall flavor of the dab.

Hmm, good to know, but still doesn't seem like a good design to me. Nothing you can't accomplish with some terp pearls with a fraction of the cleanup.

But then again, never used one, so what do I know!:lol:

Oh well, experimentation is what comes up with the next breakthrough!

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I got 2 bubble caps from dhgate and I really preferred this one for the airflow restriction ($6) vs my other one which is just an open tube at the banger end:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/glass-bubble-ball-carb-cap-for-thermal-bangers/397182223.html
glass-bubble-ball-carb-cap-for-thermal-bangers.jpg

biohacker

@StormyPinkness how does it compare to your pi cap from 710coils? I haven't received mine yet, but if it's not a substantial improvement, i'm going to stock up on those for $6! I break glass way too easily to lose $35 on a cap every so often.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
@StormyPinkness how does it compare to your pi cap from 710coils? I haven't received mine yet, but if it's not a substantial improvement, i'm going to stock up on those for $6! I break glass way too easily to lose $35 on a cap every so often.
I haven't ordered a cap from them yet, I was waiting on him to get his octopus branded ones. Though I actually just ordered from 710 coils today and was going to add one but they were out of stock.

Also I've been waiting because I keep going back and forth on whether or not to order this for $130...
10_c04ab22d-8b17-41bf-b93f-2cdc086937a8_1024x1024.jpg

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Finally a nice heady glass carb cap! Where to get it? Adjustable airflow?
I actually don't know where to get one from or who actually makes it officially. I think this might be the origin of them:
https://shop.madhustleinc.com/products/bubble-terptuner

It's always out of stock though. I actually ordered one from dabnation.com, but after 2 weeks of it not shipping and talking to customer service twice I found out they were ordering more and should have them in 1 week. I waited another 2 weeks before finally cancelling my order. If anyone wants a link to that I can pm it, I don't want to promote them though (even though I already put the website in my post...). I don't like when people list stuff as in stock when it isn't. Especially when it takes weeks/months to get it. If you can't make it out of stock at least put a disclaimer or something on there. I should say they were nice about it and offered me a free hat for the delay before I cancelled.

I think at least 2 people in the 710 coils thread actually have one if you want to post in there for more info.

StormyPinkness,
Reactions: Hogni

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Spend some time on IG. There are massive shitloads of nice, heady carb caps out there.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Hogni

MileHighHuman

Do users think that the vortex airflow from the Gordo Scientific carb caps (bubble & GTR) are worth the extra price compared to the no name non vortex airflow bubble caps?

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Too long didn't read: I like the pi cap more, but I don't think it's a huge improvement. To me it's like the d-nail cap, undeniably better but not necessary for it to kick ass.

After spending some time with them both I have switched to using the pi cap from 710coils.

At first I actually liked my dhgate one more, but I think I was just used to it. The airflow is more open on the pi cap and I think that threw me off. They both vape really well, the dhgate one just has a narrower slower air stream and the pi cap has a wider faster one. For me it means the dhgate one hits and moves exactly what it's pointed at and the pi cap moves stuff in the area it's pointed at. With the dhgate one I need to point at the terp pearls to get them moving, with the pi cap I just need to point around them. Hopefully that makes sense. I guess you could argue that does make the pi cap more efficient? I don't know...

It feels like there's a range of airflow caps work well in and they're both in it, just at different spots. I actually have 2 different dhgate ones and I hate one of them, the airflow is too wide open and it just feels all wrong.

Quality-wise the pi cap is much better too, you can tell as soon as you see it. Thicker glass (pretty sure), nicer looking glass, nicer handle, cleaner looking air... hole... spout thing.

StormyPinkness,
Reactions: biohacker
Top Bottom