Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

rsjrv99

lwien said:
Deadhead101 said:
It seems as though people on this thread as well as multiple other vape threads are lookng for ways to increase their vaping temperatures. I am looking for the opposite. I've had a walnut pd for a few months now and I actually preferred the temp of when I first got it. I know that there are certain breathing techniques which I have tried, but whenever I have my pd hooked up to my 250mL EHLE (which I almost always do) I find my herb left very dark brown which is not my preference for various reasons. Also, I use a 2 piece SC to finely grind my herb.

Maybe a smaller volume bong, like a 100mL wouldn't cook your herb quite as much.

Tom, in this case, would it be advisable to use an AC adapter that had less voltage than 12v ?

I have an AC Adapter in which you can adjust the voltage from 1-12. The switch occasionally clicks over to a lesser voltage on me, and I only notice that it heats up to a lesser temperature. However, even at 10v I could not get any vapor, even after it being on for several hours at that voltage. I can not say whether it is safe or not however, as I have only done it by mistake.

rsjrv99,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
OK, so I need a question answered. I was looking over the posts trying to figure out what in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks Mark'rs are. I would like them to be a cap for the stainless bowl...identifying tubes and providing a cap for pre-loaded vapor tubes or for when I end-up using a partial bowl for whatever reason (also providing a smooth-looking tube at rest). Right now I use a tire pressure release valve cap, and it works fine...just cant find another cap that fits for my remaining tubes.
I know, I know...why the cap? I like having partially used material kept clean and tidy...it's a ritual I have developed while vaping.
I am relatively new to vaporizing (August) and have never smoked anything. Do you think it will be a phase in that I often use bowl fractions?
Celestial glory to anyone that can help.

Brother Brigham,

Purple-Days

Brother Brigham, the Mark'rs are just tubes with a groove (or two) turned in them to identify a special tube. Say for a visitor with the flu. The 'Red Seat'. Since all the tubes look pretty much the same these marks can keep you from 'swapping spit'.

+++

Temperature is controlled by voltage, all other factors held the same. So lower voltage will lower temps. And lower voltage will do no harm.

When we use the car voltage for a while we can get too hot also. Unplugging for a few minutes will drop the temperature.

+++

Something new on the PD woods horizon.... always something new in PD land... But, for now there are some fresh pics on the Holiday Contest thread, had fun making Porta-Billys for all who entered and didn't win. Keep an eye out for the annual 4-20 Contest too.

Purple-Days,

Nycdeisel

thanks for explaining what Mark'rs are, I was always wondering about those things. They are a good idea though. Im thinking I might have to order me a Porta-Billy of my own!

Nycdeisel,

hereatlast

Purple-Days said:
Something new on the PD woods horizon.... always something new in PD land... .

Here we go again :D Definitely looking forward, a fancy or distinct PD is an easy justification on this end.

hereatlast,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
Temperature is controlled by voltage, all other factors held the same. So lower voltage will lower temps. And lower voltage will do no harm.

When we use the car voltage for a while we can get too hot also. Unplugging for a few minutes will drop the temperature.

+++
+++

So I would be looking for a voltage adapter? What specifications should I look for? Will I have more success with one that counts in increments of less than 1 volt?

Deadhead101,

Purple-Days

You can blame Pammy and her buddy Grace (at the lumberyard) for this one (if it works out). :cool:

We are pretty limited in what species we can use.
Several factors.
Size: We need 3" slabs, not all woods reach a size that will yield quality Kiln Dried 3" lumber.
Renewable: We won't use endangered or threatened species.
Density: Too soft or too hard won't work. It's gotta be the right weight, and hardness, within a range. This has to do with insulation (R-value).

The new wood looks promising (on paper, I've seen it, but never worked with it).

There are protected populations and felling restrictions in place, so we know this isn't 'poached' wood, or contributing to the decline of habitat. This is a sustainably harvested species. It is used by major guitar manufacturers including Martin.

Oh, and what we are getting is Quarter-Sawn. ;) I really hope it works out. I like new woods, but like I say, we are limited.

Purple-Days,

Earths Essence

Purple-Days said:
You can blame Pammy and her buddy Grace (at the lumberyard) for this one (if it works out). :cool:

We are pretty limited in what species we can use.
Several factors.
Size: We need 3" slabs, not all woods reach a size that will yield quality Kiln Dried 3" lumber.
Renewable: We won't use endangered or threatened species.
Density: Too soft or too hard won't work. It's gotta be the right weight, and hardness, within a range. This has to do with insulation (R-value).

The new wood looks promising (on paper, I've seen it, but never worked with it).

There are protected populations and felling restrictions in place, so we know this isn't 'poached' wood, or contributing to the decline of habitat. This is a sustainably harvested species. It is used by major guitar manufacturers including Martin.

Oh, and what we are getting is Quarter-Sawn. ;) I really hope it works out. I like new woods, but like I say, we are limited.

Tom, When do you think the new woods will be released? I'm not trying to pressure you for an answer. I own a Cherry Pandora Kit that works flawlessly, and was wondering if the Original Purple Days are any different from the Pandora Kits, other than the fact that the customer builds the Pandora?

Also, do you yourself feel that the PD temp is the prime vaporization zone? I love the PD, and want to get an Original made by you, but the only thing holding me back is the question of whether or not this is a quality vape zone, rather than the higher temps of vapes like the DBV and SSV.

In other words, I feel as if with the DBV/SSV, its more of a natural cannabis high, and the PD is almost only half of a high. More so than not, after a PD sesh, I find myself on edge and a bit anxious, like its missing something from the high.

Earths Essence,

Purple-Days

I think my very first post says, this vape isn't for everyone.

And just a few posts back we have a person looking for lower temps. You may want higher temps. Most folks are satisfied that the PD temp is right. It's a Goldilocks thing.

Can't please everyone and we don't try to. We are shooting for the high-middle of the vapor range, say 385-390F. The Pandoras and the Originals are identical.

Purple-Days,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
Purple-Days said:

And just a few posts back we have a person looking for lower temps. You may want higher temps. Most folks are satisfied that the PD temp is right. It's a Goldilocks thing.

Can't please everyone and we don't try to. We are shooting for the high-middle of the vapor range, say 385-390F. The Pandoras and the Originals are identical.
Allow me to clarify. To me the PD is practically perfect for my needs. The only roadbump I'm experiencing is a SLIGHTLY higher temperature than from what I prefer, and that is why I am trying to lower the temperature only a small quantity. But I am only willing to do this if it is safe(for myself and the PD) and reliable. To many a temperature change of say 5 degrees won't make a huge difference, but for me this margin is a big deal.

That being said, does anyone have a specific voltage adapter to recommend?

Deadhead101,

Purple-Days

Sorry didn't mean the Goldilocks thing in a bad way, just that she was looking for 'just right' and 'just right' isn't the same for everyone. So we try to hit the middle of the curve.

Now, specifically for your desire for a drop of say, 5F... dropping the voltage by almost 10%, to the next full Volt will drop the temperature accordingly. Probably out of the vapor zone. So if you go the variable voltage route I would think you need a fully variable rather than a step variable transformer (in full volt increments).

I very much understand your desire or need for a lower temperature. Pammy has several vapes made special for her that run cooler. The latest is Cebil. No she didn't name it, it's the wood species. A dense hardwood. Her asthma is bothered by higher temps and she rarely uses one of my units. All of hers are dense hardwoods which do not insulate (R-value) as well and run cooler.

Cherry and Black Walnut are pretty equal and on the high end of temps for products we make. Myrtle will run a bit (2-3F cooler). Ash runs about 5F cooler. Rosewoods and such maybe 5-7F cooler and stuff like Ebony and Pink Ivory are so dense they arepretty close to the usable bottom end of the vapor zone, they still work but wouldn't please most folks.

Cheaper to get a variable power supply than a new unit, (check a few pages back) but those are the facts about wood for anyone looking for a slightly lower temperature.

Purple-Days,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
Can't wait to see your new species...quarter sawn will be a really nice look I bet. I have a guitar made of Koa...that'd be super intense! I'd be forced to pick one up :).

Brother Brigham,

Earths Essence

Purple-Days said:

I apologize if my post sounded rude. I didn't mean it like that at all, and love your vapes very much.

Aren't the Original's slightly larger in size than the Pandora's?

Earths Essence,

Purple-Days

Earths Essence says, "Aren't the Original's slightly larger in size than the Pandora's?" Like I say in the post above that, "The Pandoras and the Originals are identical." I'm not sure how to be more clear. (Or why I would make them different sizes.)

And I didn't think you were rude, I just won't try to 'sell' someone. This place has a saying, 'there is no one best vape'. I once explained it in terms of dogs, some folks want a Mastiff some want a Scotty, some even like Poodles. There is no one best vape, just like there is no one best dog.

+++

Deadhead, if you read further after the posts about variable power (a few pages back), I won't recommend it as it can over-volt the unit and possibly cause a hazard or damage the PD... I won't follow the link and I won't say it's alright.

At this point we have been over the power requirements and plug type so many times... that folks either get it or don't understand. See our FAQ and make your own decisions please (ask us in an e-mail if you don't understand or need more info, glad to help by e-mail), but be aware that over-volting is never recomended for a PD. I know you aren't intending to do that, but please read further in the variable power discussion and see why I say these things.

Use a Jameco #10081 wall power supply. Original equipment with a Purple-Days Diffuser.

+++
No, it's not Koa, which I hear is now Plantation grown. They saw that is was valuable and dwindling faaast. We had an inquiry a while back and a fellow was gonna try to find some, but 3" stock is hard to come by and expensive (I bet).

Purple-Days,

Earths Essence

I'm just crazy, I've always thought that the Original's were just a little bit bigger in size compared to the Pandora. You don't need to try and sell me, you already have.

Does anyone know when ClearDome will have more glass stems up for sale on etsy, or do you kind of just have to periodically check the site?

Earths Essence,

Nycdeisel

Everyone always asks that same question about ClearDome, but you really just have to wait and see if anything comes up. If im correct, CD should have some PD stem tips for use with his glass tubes, so presumably hes in the process of making them.

Nycdeisel,

abhs

I hit my PD through a bong, so it gets turned upside down quite a bit. I just found out yesterday that my retaining clip has been loose for some time. As a result, the wall around it has been neatly chipped away. When I found out about the retaining clip, I pushed it down using the screwdriver trick, but it won't stay reseated because of how much the wall has eroded.

My heat exchanger is loose, and it only heats up sporadically. Brand new power supply from Radioshack. Has anyone been able to reseat the clip in this situation? Is the clip why the PD won't warm up sometimes?

abhs,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
shoot tom an email. He might be able to help you obtain a second Clip. A second clip will hold everything down. Also he will be able to help you trouble shoot why it doesnt warm up (that can be either an issue with the PD, or with the wall charger)

DevoTheStrange,

mlo4sho

Madcap79 said:
I really want a PD. Just gotta save up the cash.:/

I am sort of in the same situation. Looks like a great vape, just can't wait to actually get my hands on one.

mlo4sho,

tamaro328

The designs are simple and sleek, thus very appealing to me. It is also more portable than more "conventional" at-home vaporizer bases.

How long is a unit expected to function properly?

tamaro328,

lwien

Mines been functioning properly for over two years now and I use it every single night.

lwien,

Earths Essence

lwien said:
Mines been functioning properly for over two years now and I use it every single night.

I've noticed how much you adore the Purple Days. Don't take this the wrong way, because it is not meant to be critical my any means, but is efficiency the most important thing to you with vaporization? From reading numerous of your PD related posts, it sounds like you're almost backing up the PD too much. We all know it's a good vape, but honestly, do you see any con's to the PD?

It's like you're a secret advertiser for the PD, not accusing you of being one, its just that all the PD related posts I've read of yours, I've never noticed you mention one single downside to the PD. Who knows, maybe there aren't any to you.

I think if we obsess over a vaporizer's efficiency, we lose the fun. No matter how much you vape, in gerneral, you'll be saving herb. And even if you were to be using the same amount, its WORTH it because it is more HEALTHFUL.

Earths Essence,
Thanks for the help a few pages back guys. Your tips and Nycdeisel's packing techniques helped make my "Purple Days Experience" a little nicer. I always run it through a small Sheldon Black bubbler so dry hits are never a problem. I think a small water piece is a necessity for this style vape!

California Clouds,
Top Bottom