Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
elmomuzz said:
LaunchBox420 said:
elmomuzz said:
If you can't get high with a mflb the pd will never do the trick. It uses a tiny amount of herb so if you have any tolerance it takes a lot of bowls to get an effect. It's strong point is that it uses only a small amount of herb to give you vapor. It's just not enough for me.

never heard anyone say that before

For me the pd is like a old school bat one hitter. Unless I've gone a few days dry its just not got enough oomph for me. The mflb I think of more like a conventional bowl. I overpack it though. :)

I'm probably the wrong guy to comment since i use a volcano 95% of the time.

While I'm not agreeing with what your saying about the PD (I have never used one, but do own a log vape FWIW) I do know what you mean. I have a fairly high tolerance and I noticed that it took about a week to got adjusted to ingesting a lower amount of THC overall. I now vape in a day what I used to in one sitting with my Extreme Q. Because of this, I think my body needed time to adjust to the lower levels of meds from using less material. Now that my body has sort of 're centered' itself, 2 or 3 stems gets my medicated to where I want to be.

Just my experiance.

finchrock24,

lwien

Yeah. If someone does not have consistent access to top-shelf bud, a log type vape may not be the best choice. But if you do have consistent access to top-shelf bud, it is not uncommon to be able to get 5 hits from one stem.....................2 large hits followed by 3 weaker ones, and for many, this many hits from very, very good bud is all that it takes to get where ya want to go.

lwien,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
lwien said:
Yeah. If someone does not have consistent access to top-shelf bud, a log type vape may not be the best choice. But if you do have consistent access to top-shelf bud, it is not uncommon to be able to get 5 hits from one stem.....................2 large hits followed by 3 weaker ones, and for many, this many hits from very, very good bud is all that it takes to get where ya want to go.

Yes yes yes. This is one of the big things about my log vape I have noticed. Low grade and even mid grade bud are better off in a different unit, something with a bigger bowl (like my EQ for example). I don't know if it has to do with temperature or bowl size, but I have found that top shelf is really the only thing worth vaping because everything else just doesn't do the trick.

I usually get 2-3 satisfying hits from a stem...with 3-4 more airy hits.

finchrock24,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
finchrock24 said:
lwien said:

Yes yes yes. This is one of the big things about my log vape I have noticed. Low grade and even mid grade bud are better off in a different unit, something with a bigger bowl (like my EQ for example). I don't know if it has to do with temperature or bowl size, but I have found that top shelf is really the only thing worth vaping because everything else just doesn't do the trick.

I usually get 2-3 satisfying hits from a stem...with 3-4 more airy hits.

ughhhh this is starting to make me nervous, i feel liek i just bought this for nothing now! Whats the point if i cant even get anything out of a half decent bud :(

LaunchBox420,

lwien

LaunchBox420 said:
ughhhh this is starting to make me nervous, i feel liek i just bought this for nothing now! Whats the point if i cant even get anything out of a half decent bud :(

Just some common sense here. You can use the PD with mids and low end bud, but being that the bowl is so much smaller than vapes with larger bowls, it means that you will have to go through multiple stems, and for me, that would be kind of a drag. I only get the best bud available here, so one stem, or most times, just 3/4's of a stem gets me to where I want to be, so for me, the PD is perfect, as it is for many others

It's just another reason that there is no one best vape for everyone, and that includes the PD.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Launchbox420 - I don't have access to the premium California material that Lwien speaks of, but I usually get good quality stuff that would probably be considered "regs' by California standards. I've vaped it all (what's available in my area) with the PD - what's described to me as being kush, haze, sour diesel, ny diesel, even something called "pink champagne."
It always works great and the key in my opinion above all is making sure the material is dry before grinding and the finer the better (not powder though).
Don't be nervous, you will love this vaporizer.

jeffp,

hereatlast

Yeah. If someone does not have consistent access to top-shelf bud, a log type vape may not be the best choice. But if you do have consistent access to top-shelf bud, it is not uncommon to be able to get 5 hits from one stem

Sorry to requote but I could not agree with more with this statement. TBH I now cannot imagine not having a PD in my arsenal, granted it is the vape I use more than 9 times out of 10. For the right person/supply/habits I think the PD is pretty unbeatable. I can usually get 5 hits or so as well from a stem though often I don't take more than 2.

hereatlast,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
jeffp said:
Launchbox420 - I don't have access to the premium California material that Lwien speaks of, but I usually get good quality stuff that would probably be considered "regs' by California standards. I've vaped it all (what's available in my area) with the PD - what's described to me as being kush, haze, sour diesel, ny diesel, even something called "pink champagne."
It always works great and the key in my opinion above all is making sure the material is dry before grinding and the finer the better (not powder though).
Don't be nervous, you will love this vaporizer.

i know but i saved up and bought it im just nervous that its not gonna fit what i want, and getting real kush where i live is difficult. You people from california are lucky you have access to some of the best bud around, where i gotta pay a shit load for somthin decent

LaunchBox420,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If the concern is that you don't think you'll get four hits out of a stem with regs, it's probably unfounded as long as the material is properly prepared prior to vaping.
The beauty of the PD is that if you do end up paying a shitload for something decent this vape will allow you to use a little bit with great results - you'll end up conserving
and therefore the PD will pay for itself in a very short time. I think it was a wise purchase for you - wait and see.

jeffp,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
jeffp said:
If the concern is that you don't think you'll get four hits out of a stem with regs, it's probably unfounded as long as the material is properly prepared prior to vaping.
The beauty of the PD is that if you do end up paying a shitload for something decent this vape will allow you to use a little bit with great results - you'll end up conserving
and therefore the PD will pay for itself in a very short time. I think it was a wise purchase for you - wait and see.

I hope your right jeffp...

LaunchBox420,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It is definitely a lot more efficient than the MFLB which I've tried a few times and it was OK. I would say "not bad." I think you'll find the PD a quantum leap forward.
Down the line keep your eyes open for a good deal on a recommended whip vape such as the Vapor Brothers, Da Buddah, Vapor Box, Vapor Warez, Vapor Cannon.
As long as there's a good warranty - which all of these manufacturers provide - there's no downside to buying used if you can find a good deal. Check craigslist or this forum
in the "general" section for deals on used vapes. Don't go cheap in this area with the Chinese made whip vape lookalikes you see on Ebay. Go cheap with used, instead, from
reputable sources from reputable manufacturers.

jeffp,

lwien

A classic example of buyers remorse.

I totally agree with what jeff just said in post #6812, but if you find that the PD is not for you, don't fret, because considering the high demand for this vape, you will be able to sell it for just about what you paid for it. As a percentage of the purchase price, the resale value of the PD is even higher than the 'Cano and THAT is pretty damn remarkable.

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
i would describe a stem as a shot glass. if you have potent, grain alcohol you can get proper dosage lol so to speak, off of one of them. but if you have schwag it will be like doing shots of beer. mids would be like 60 proof schnapps or something :lol: Either way, you still get where you need to be, it just might take more loads. these combined loads will still be relatively small and close to what you would need to use in any other vape tho, unless the herb has an irregular thc/cbn/cbd ratio, in which case a variable temp might work better.

but like jeffp said, even if you end up having to spend a ton on high quality herb, it will last you soooo long. .3g a day should keep you constantly dosed, if youre anything like me. a stem lasts for 1-1.5 hours for me, with dank. so dont worry

steiner666,

Gunky

You are probably gonna love it. Like most of these devices there is a little period of learning the best way or ways to make it work for you. Draw slowly. I like to vape stuff today which I ground up yesterday. Gets it nice and dry. It might help if you take a little break for a couple days before the unit arrives.

Gunky,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
well i still get good results from the launch box as it is my first vape, but the thing is i dont want to have to sell it :( i have been waiting almost 2 months and am excited i am just nervous for disapointment, know what i mean?

LaunchBox420,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
Gunky said:
You are probably gonna love it. Like most of these devices there is a little period of learning the best way or ways to make it work for you. Draw slowly. I like to vape stuff today which I ground up yesterday. Gets it nice and dry. It might help if you take a little break for a couple days before the unit arrives.

ok its supposed to arrive this week havnt vaped since yesterday, and im out of medication right now so ill wait till i get my PD to buy more!

Thanks for all the replies everyone really helps and means alot :D

LaunchBox420,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It's the same inhalation procedure as the MFLB - long and slow.
These things improve - they operate better - in time, as it's used and broken in.
Don't overstuff in fact you should under stuff and work your way up from there.
If you hear a faint whistle while you're inhaling dial it down just a little bit and that's the proper level of inhalation force.
And allow for 45 minutes of warm up time and you can leave it on all time time from there if you want to.
And worse comes to worse - which is not going to happen - if you feel you should sell it you'll sell it fast for about what you paid for it.

jeffp,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
If your going a week dry it will work great. I should just keep my mouth shut. :p

elmomuzz,

rsjrv99

Launchbox, do not worry, mid grade works great with the PD, it just requires multiple straws. When I do not have access to high grade, I simply pack the 3 stems which are included and continue repacking until I get my desired feeling. It is not difficult to repack, simply blow out, and suck in more, takes a whole 5 seconds. Make sure the mid grade bud is dried out thoroughly, and broken up well. I have even prebaked in the oven at 170F for 10 minutes prior to it, crumbled it lightly in my fingers, packed, and got fantastic results. It once took me 12 straws to get my desired feeling with very low grade, but it only took about 15 minutes whilst watching TV. So don't worry, the PD is excellent even for mid grade, it will just take longer to get the desired effect, and a bit more effort. If anything, purchase more straws to pre-pack.

As for my experience, I couldn't even think of investing my money in any other unit besides this. The ease of use, durability, effectiveness, and sleek design make it very worthwhile. A month ago, I had a bad rage episode from some stuff that happened to me, and threw my PD as hard as I could at a cement wall about 10 ft away. After I calmed down, I almost cried thinking I had ruined my PD, but I set it back up and has worked perfectly ever since, and I can barely notice the dent I put in it (Yes I just confessed to ruining my warranty, but I don't think i'll ever need it after that episode!). For the hours upon hours of research I did, I can't believe such a simple little thing could be so good, especially with all these other top dollar vapes going around and breaking much more consistently, whilst being even less inefficient when in working order. I can't imagine any other vape would have survived the cement wall...

So thank you Tom and Pam, it's truly a wonderful thing you are doing sharing your invention with the world. You really have saved my lungs, and my wallet. No more smokers cough, no more yellow teeth, just pure clean vapor. This little thing will be sitting on my desk for years to come.

rsjrv99,

Nycdeisel

I also probably get what would be considered "mids" by people like Lwien, but over here its pretty damn good, not THE BEST I can get over here but still really good and I have had all types of qualities from shwag all the way to the fancy delivery service buds.

I had that feeling just a week or two before my PD was set to ship out and I just pushed those thoughts right out the door because I had never seen someone disappointed with it after having done the right research, which I know you have.

I also had a similar feeling for a couple days after first turning it on, but as it warmed up more, I warmed up to it :lol: and now we are the best of buds, so dont worry, just be happy LaunchBox!

Nycdeisel,

OldGuy

LaunchBox420 said:

In addition to my whip(tm) style vape, I've been using two "makes" of log vapes in the past 12 months, one mine, one owned by a close friend. I have never been less than completely satisfied with either of the log vapes, using what either of us would consider "reg" or "mid" grade (or possibly even a bit lower by today's California standards).

I believe the most critical advice others have given you so far is to be sure your material is dry.... very dry..... probably drier than you've been drying for your other vape. A portion of the heat energy contained in the heated air can be consumed (wasted) by the initial boiling off of moisture in the sample. Let your material air dry for a day or two or three; it should make a significant difference.

Relax, you made a excellent decision.

OldGuy,

Purple-Days

I have always suggested drying you material. First off the plant material when dry will crumble and expose more surface area. Damp material just won't. Surface area is one big factor and the more surface area you expose to the heated stream of air the better.

And from actual experience I noticed a heavier vapor with dryer material. Yes, you get vapor from damp stuff and more flavor and aroma. But a large portion of that initial vapor is H2O and the H2O is cooling the air and cooler air doesn't release the active compounds you are really after IMO. Well IMO till yesterday, when I came through the kitchen where Pammy had a cooking show running (PBS) and the were evaluating pie pans. Glass, metal, dark, light, holes in the bottom etc.

Anyway one pan failed badly... it had a screen mesh on the bottom... So the heat could get at the bottom of the crust... And on the sales shelf, I bet that thinking goes a long way toward increased sales, but didn't work in the kitchen. Why? The explanation was evaporative cooling, the escaping water vapor was cooling the air under the crust and it wasn't hot enough to bake properly.

I have always thought this was the case, that the H2O was cooling the air. Evaporative cooling. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I think dryer is better for pretty much all of my vapes. The Q probably would handle damper material better. I have also observed that certain strains do better in the PD than others. I guess I attribute this to trich coverage. Now I don't necessarily mean a higher grade, just buds with more trichs. I have tried 8 varieties- all great medicinal strains.

A few REALLY outperform the others. For example, Barney's LSD is a super potent strain, yet it does not give the best hits with the PD. King's Kush (a purple variety) far outperforms LSD with the PD, but in reality, it is not as potent.

I guess that is another reason to own different vapes. They all do it differently...

Tstat,
Top Bottom